Translations for our friends around the world.

eSim

esimwhite1
 Save

Author Topic: Steel Beasts Dynamic Terrain Will Come After New Terrain Engine  (Read 54349 times)

Offline Frankie

• HAVOC
  • From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
Re: Steel Beasts Dynamic Terrain Will Come After New Terrain Engine
« Reply #315 on: May 18, 2019, 02:47:12 AM »
Awesome stuff, Rinix.

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Online Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #316 on: May 18, 2019, 03:23:50 AM »
Thanks. :howdy
I ride inside Steel Beasts.

Online Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #317 on: May 19, 2019, 05:16:39 PM »
http://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/12548-itec-2019/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-189844
I am able to check off the following from my Steel Beasts wish list:
  • Secure Belgium as a new customer, since they won’t require too many new additions and therefore are a relatively easy addition to the revenue stream
Quote from: Ssnake
Quote from: Panzer_Leader
I assume the DF vehicles have been implemented as desktop training aids for the Belgian Army (a new eSim customer?) so should have full switchology etc.
Since it doesn't seem to be obvious enough ... YES. Both DF30 and DF90 have been implemented and will be part of the coming release. If you want to prepare for that, check out the Austrian LMV that you already have, with the ERCWS remote weapon station. Same vendor, a good portion of similarities in the UI and menu structure. Bigger (=more fun) calibers, obviously.

Offline Frankie

• HAVOC
  • From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #318 on: May 19, 2019, 05:44:17 PM »
May eSimGames have many more customers.

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Online Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #319 on: May 19, 2019, 06:35:01 PM »
May eSimGames have many more customers.
I wish that too. My Steel Beasts wish list has Estonia, Portugal, and the Czech Republic as customers, since they won't require too much customization.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/12548-itec-2019/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-189847
Quote from: Grenny
On then contrary, the new version will run significantly smoother then 4.023 on most maschines.
For example, I had to content with 25-35 FPS...and signle digit FPS for "high load cases" in 4.023. Now I'm running 50-60 FPS even with higher graphic settings. Going to heavy load scenarios (smoke, burning buildings and lots of units) I still run above 30.
How this will work out for each individual CPU/GPU combination can of course differ...but there will be an improvement for most users.

Online Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #320 on: May 22, 2019, 04:09:05 PM »
http://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/12548-itec-2019/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-189935
You won't get to see this in version 4.1, at least not in this form.
But I thought it was a neat illustration of the cannon danger zone from sabot petals as we're simulating them. The challenge was that the sabot separation itself happens rather quickly "between frames" so the initial movement appears linear when it's actually shaped more like a trumpet. After that first frame we then let the petals fly with realistic masses and different material properties such as PE (Nylon), carbon fiber, or (mostly) aluminum. Needless to say, a 1.3 kilogram heavy aluminum petal has a much higher destructive potential than a 3 gram piece of plastic (still traveling at supersonic velocities, though).
Air drag still needs to be increased a bit to reduce the max range of the petals compared to this shot by about 30 or 40%, but still.

Yes, overpressure near the muzzle will of course also be harmful to nearby infantry, or trucks. So, MBTs on convoy protection will need to act with a bit more discretion before applying their firepower.

And while we're making the sabot petals dangerous, we limit this to tanks where human players are responsible for weapon use - commanders, gunners. Otherwise the petals fly through the AAR and create puffs of dust where they hit the ground during the execution phase. You'll see that in some of our future YouTube videos. 

In other news, more variety for terrain themes. We will ship SB Pro PE with a few dedicated "African" themes for your Toyota wars, with termite hills, acacia trees. One day, giraffes (just not in version 4.1). I hope you'll like it.

Online Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #321 on: May 23, 2019, 02:34:59 AM »
https://forum.steelbeasts.org/forum/thread/8643-version-4-1xx/?postID=59181#post59181
Translated using Google Translate:
Three shot KE 120mm on the hard target, helicopters will have to watch:

Online Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #322 on: May 24, 2019, 12:07:45 AM »
Preview video of DF-30 from Grenny/Ronin:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/12548-itec-2019/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-189991
Stealing all my thunder, I see... In the AAR, notice that there's a method to the madness of the color coding - white fragments are (comparatively) weakest, the more red they are the bigger their penetration value. This if course always relative to the individual round, not normalized to some absolute values. As can be seen, fragments to the rear tend to be weaker, simply because they fly against the projectile's trajectory vector.

Each ammunition has been individually parameterized. It may not be perfect, but at least whenever the total in-flight mass of the projectile, the amount of HE filler and the HE filler composition were known, that went directly into the ammo stats. Likewise, activation and burnout distance for the tracer element, along with its color (where it could be determined), and self-destruction range (if any).

In fact, the "New HE" model was a major development effort to improve the overall quality of simulation results. It's now grounded in well-established engineering models surch as Gourney, Taylor, Mott, and THOR (not the Hammertime guy, though). We have now a reasonable model for overpressure damage on infantry (also, some objects will offer blast protection, others won't), the fragments are realistic in number, size, their velocity, and - within limits - their spatial distribution (nigh impossible to determine with accuracy from open sources). All in all I'm actually quite proud of this achievement even though it may not appear all that spectacular. It was a fair bit of work, and had me peeved for about ten years. Finally we found the time to work on this.

Online Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #323 on: May 24, 2019, 02:37:36 PM »
https://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/12668-the-guess-list/?tab=comments#comment-190001
I'm counting 78 vehicles that are either new or improved. We already know that some of them are the DF-30, DF-90, and TOS-1A Buratino.
I can answer that now:

Disclaimer: These four km˛ full of new vehicles are partially based on a single vehicle with several equipment options, or a vehicle family with its variants. And there are a handful of vehicles that you already have in 4.0, but with significant changes that deserve some explanation. Also, at least two vehicles have the wrong tactical icon. And I made one mistake, confusing an MBT with an IFV in the picture above.

Online Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #324 on: May 24, 2019, 03:54:26 PM »
http://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/11302-eta-on-terrain-patch/page/15/?tab=comments#comment-190010
Quote from: Japo32
Quote from: Red2112
Yes, there will be a "smaller" price fee but there will be new things with it too.
I don't like this at all. Of course I understand that this is a business and people don't work for free, but that patch was promised as to be included in 4.x without any more money added.

or here also at the beggining of the videos with new terrain bumpy model in 2016.

Also we had to be terrible patience as we had to wait for some years to have it, as it was told to us that the devs couldn't work in it because they had professional contractors first to take care.
I understand that there are some additions to it, and that is fine, but in my case never asked for them. With the terrain model would be enough for me (of course any improve in frame rate shouldn't never be charged).
Also is totally unfair if at the end one person that comes from 2.0 or 3.0 only pays 40$ to upgrade the version to 4.1. I had to pay 40$ + XX$ for the same 4.1 version (not a 5.0). Until when we are going to have free updates of this "new" product? as maybe soon we could have the 5.0 and be charged again? (this is a 4.1x version. Not new 5.0)
Again, I repeat that I understand that devs don't work for free and was a big ammount of work done, but it was promised for free as features of 4.X, and pay for those "free" features plus a rework of plants and framerate, don't make me happy at all.
As I said, I would pay 40$ happily if it would be a dramatic change from the very old dx9.0 to dx11-12 or Vulkan, but I don't desire new tanks added, and of course I think we never should be charged for frame improvements (really 4.023 goes really bad in some situations with good computers.. and that is not our fault).

I had to say it.
Thanks.

Online Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #325 on: May 24, 2019, 04:30:22 PM »
http://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/12668-the-guess-list/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-190013
Ssnake is referring to the number of crewable vehicles.
About 14 vehicles and vehicle families, but that sounds more spectacular than it actually is. As you can see from the image above, there's a fair number of trucks incolved, even if many of them fall into the (light) reconnaissance category. We usually associate more or less complex fire control systems and clickable interiors and whatnot - well, there's the DF30 and the DF90 that fully fall into that category, and then one new remote weapon station. I must confess, I'm beginnning to lose overview, so there may be one or two more that I'd consider "true" crewable vehicles, but at the same time I think it's only fair to point out that additional vehicles with detailed crew positions were not the focus of this development step.

The meat is in a completely revamped lighting/render engine, better looking particle effects, the new HE/fragmentation model, and, of course, the new terrain engine.
Also, "better AI" - but it's largely unspectacular if certain things simply work, so it's more of an absence of frustration that you may notice later on.

Online Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #326 on: May 24, 2019, 04:50:09 PM »
http://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/11302-eta-on-terrain-patch/page/16/?tab=comments#comment-190015
I don't like this at all. Of course I understand that this is a business and people don't work for free, but that patch was promised as to be included in 4.x without any more money added.
I understand and respect that sentiment. At the same time things didn't go as planned. At all. When we made these promises we expected to be able to release the terrain update about half a year or nine months later, tops, and that turned out to be horribly wrong. And yes, "our problem". At the same time there was more and more entirely new development that was piling up which we couldn't separate from the new terrain development, and here's where things get complicated. As far as I am concerned, we have reduced the price of the upgrade from the usual $40.- for a two-year step (which actually took three years) by $10.-, to make good for this slip-up; $15.- for preorders, as soon as our web shop's ready to take them in. At the same time we completely reworked the lighting (yes, that's not quite on the level of "replace DirectX 9" but still a massive improvement), we substantially improved the AI (at least as far as pathfinding is concerned), we replaced the old and inaccurate model of high explosives and fragmentation effects ... and we now have a model that can handle thousands of individual fragments, each with different properties, a model that takes account of objects to reflect pressure waves (or not, in the case of hedges).

I suggest to "withhold judgment until the facts are in", as a certain General Turgidson once said in one of the better movies ever made. A lot of the work that went into this upgrade is somewhat abstract, or at least requires an in-depth review by, say, the one or other video feature. For example, AI that works is entirely unspectacular and as such "unsellable". At the same time it will take the edge off of some common frustration, so it's the kind of value that you discover only after the purchase. In a similar way, what's the value of a better HE model? Sure, you can have more fancy visualization in the AAR about what happened, but at the end of the day it remains a somewhat abstract thing. However, what's the value of more accurate simulation in general, where would you draw the line? Maybe simplified ballistics would also be okay. Do we really need weather simulation? Crosswind? There's a lot of things that could be simplified. But Steel Beasts has always been about going the extra mile for more accuracy in simulation results. At the end of the day the satisfaction with a simulation largely stems from the sum of all things that were done right, less the sum of all things done wrong, from knowing that the amount of BS that you encountered is substantially lower than what you experience in your average shooter game. And the new HE model shifts the balance more into the "things done right" direction.

Online Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #327 on: May 24, 2019, 05:16:40 PM »
http://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/12668-the-guess-list/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-190019
14 vehicles, and vehicle families.

There's about 79 individual units on the picture above. 22 of them are one vehicle in different configurations, or maybe you'd call it a vehicle family. Whatever, I count it as "one" when my answer is "14". There's another one that's "seven vehicles in one" if you will, so I count it as "one" as well. It's not easy to answer your question with clarity without spilling all the beans right away. But what's more, it's also a question how you count. I could of course literally count every single vehicle obove there that has a dedicaterd commander's and gunner's position, and then I'd arrive at a number in the high thirties or so. And you'd all go "Kpchhhh... minds blown!" ... and then you'd all crucify me when it turns out that 29 of those would actually be just two vehicles, in variable configuration. So I'm deliberately lowballing here. But I don't have the time to go through all 79 vehicles again to checkmark which of them exactly meets your definition of "crewable" (since you indicated that it must have a commander's and a gunner's position, minimum, and that you could do shooty stuff with it).

So, sorry. I'm not intentionally obtuse, but the confusion is somewhat deliberate because I don't know how to better put it, OK?

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #328 on: May 24, 2019, 06:37:37 PM »
Quote from: Japo32
Quote from: Red2112
Yes, there will be a "smaller" price fee but there will be new things with it too.

Valid point!

I said this before.

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Online Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #329 on: May 24, 2019, 10:26:29 PM »
Here is the next preview video from Grenny/Ronin:
  • New M2 .50 caliber HMG optic option
  • New reload animation for M2 .50 caliber HMG
  • Improved default sight with range adjustment for M2 .50 caliber HMG
  • Improved default sight with range adjustment for MG3
  • Improved default sight with range adjustment for Mk. 19 AGL
  • New reload animation for Mk. 19 AGL
  • Advanced optics for scout infantry
  • LMGs teams with MG3s can now mount their MG3s on the Pinzgauer truck and use them, either on the front of the Pinzgauer or on the back
  • DShK HMG

Steel Armor: Blaze of War

Started by AsidBoard SABOW

Replies: 1
Views: 15065
Last post March 23, 2015, 09:15:11 PM
by Asid
Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942

Started by AsidBoard Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942

Replies: 11
Views: 22501
Last post March 07, 2015, 12:19:22 PM
by Asid
Steel Tank Add-on for SFK42

Started by AsidBoard Steel Tanks Addon (S.T.A)

Replies: 59
Views: 31408
Last post August 27, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
by Asid
Steel Fury - Kharkov 1942 - Demo

Started by AsidBoard Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942

Replies: 0
Views: 2399
Last post April 08, 2015, 04:01:01 AM
by Asid
Steel Armor: Blaze of War - Demo

Started by AsidBoard SABOW