Translations for our friends around the world.

eSim

esimwhite1
 Save

Author Topic: Steel Beasts Dynamic Terrain Will Come After New Terrain Engine  (Read 63484 times)

Offline Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
Re: Steel Beasts Dynamic Terrain Will Come After New Terrain Engine
« Reply #420 on: July 14, 2019, 12:07:01 AM »
Matsimus is livestreaming Steel Beasts 4.1:
I ride inside Steel Beasts.

Offline Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #421 on: July 14, 2019, 12:17:48 AM »
Matsimus' frame rate was low because he wasn't using the latest patch. Here's a regiment-size battle in the newest preview from Ronin:

Offline Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #422 on: July 14, 2019, 12:52:20 AM »
https://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/12776-sb-pro-pe-41-new-features-and-stuff/page/19/?tab=comments#comment-192204
I have to say that I agree with Ssnake and Apocalypse.
Quote from: Apocalypse 31
Quote from: Ssnake
He didn't apply patch 6, might explain the low frame rate.
(sigh)
Unfortunate. He generates a ton of viewers, and this is not representative of the final product.

Maybe he can pull the video? There's not much out there on 4.1 and this will probably dominate YouTube content before release.

https://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/12776-sb-pro-pe-41-new-features-and-stuff/page/19/?tab=comments#comment-192207
Quote from: Marko
i thought it ran ok
We will agree to disagree on this.

Edit.
In less than an hour he has 1300 people viewing a video of SB 4.1 running at 20 FPS.

Good marketing? I think not.

Offline Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #423 on: July 14, 2019, 01:37:38 AM »
https://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/12776-sb-pro-pe-41-new-features-and-stuff/page/19/?tab=comments#comment-192209
Well, I suppose that's the risk of handing a beta version to a Youtuber even if the email had clear instructions how to apply the patch. And people wonder why I'm holding back everything to the last minute. That's why.

https://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/12776-sb-pro-pe-41-new-features-and-stuff/page/20/?tab=comments#comment-192218
The unfortunate part is that all of Grenny's videos combined are only 2x as much as @matsimus generated in a single hour of streaming.
Exactly.

Offline Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #424 on: July 14, 2019, 02:11:34 AM »
From the comments of Matsimus' YouTube video:
Well, that was a bit unfortunate.
I suspect that the frame rate decay could have been eliminated with the application of the patch to that beta version, and trying to fix that with a laggy chat while a dozen others try to help at the same time was probably doomed from the beginning. Hopefully we'll get that sorted out before the next video.

https://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/12776-sb-pro-pe-41-new-features-and-stuff/page/20/?tab=comments#comment-192229
Nothing new in terms of units, we knew about all of them prior to this. But this list of vehicles is incomplete.
Quote from: Breakthrough7
Not sure if these two features have been mentioned before explicitly (scouts were ~implied) but I noticed:
1) a new class of Infantry "Scout Team"

2) the individual 'vehicle icons' now display, in the editor, overlayed with unit icons.

And for good measure (though certainly not complete);

Ronin's newest preview video, this one is dedicated to seeing how well Steel Beasts runs with a battalion-sized mission with 3 parties:

Offline Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #425 on: July 14, 2019, 03:34:57 AM »
https://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/12776-sb-pro-pe-41-new-features-and-stuff/page/21/?tab=comments#comment-192243
Apocalypse's statement is striking home for me, considering that I've pointed out that the majority of Steel Beasts' default maps will not see any improvement in terrain resolution.
Quote from: Gibsonm
the average YouTube watcher
You would be surprised at how many current, active SB players who think they're going to fire up 4.1 and see a whole new game (terrain-wise).

Offline Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #426 on: July 14, 2019, 04:01:28 AM »
At time index 1:45:28 in Matsimus' video, there is a version of the Fennek called Fennek SWP. It does not correspond to any previously known Fennek variant. I wonder what it is? Also, I made a mistake: I did not know that the Fennek TACP had not yet been announced.

Offline Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #427 on: July 14, 2019, 02:31:16 PM »
https://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/12776-sb-pro-pe-41-new-features-and-stuff/page/21/?tab=comments#comment-192253
Yeah but this video doesn't have the same intensity as the bad FPS video. This also isn't showcasing the new terrain: terrain is as flat as a pool table and has no clutter detail.

The highlight of this patch is the terrain, yeah? Videos should be promoting the hell out of it.
I suspect that the video absolutely is comparable, assuming that the reason for the frame rate decay in Matsimus' streamed video is the fact that without the patch applied old particles don't get removed from the queue, and therefore clog the graphics card. That happens with a lot of dust or without; in fact, Grenny's video is probably more CPU intensive than what Matsimus bashed together in his zero preparation stream.

Likewise, as far as the terrain goes, it's a matter of applying proper theme files and picking lighting that helps to accentuate the higher resolution. If the terrain theme has near-zero bumpiness for most of the terrain, it will look flat and the vehicle suspension won't show much activity. Consequently, if there are no bumps they cannot be shaded according to the sun position. And if 12:00 o'clock (or sunset) is chosen as the time of day the terrain won't create much variation in the lighting, as shown in the Africa video that I made a few weeks ago.

I'm not an NDA wielding control freak when it comes to releasing videos past the point where I break the silence. Which means you get the full truth, even if it's not representative of the best possible results, or even downright misleading in a case where a certain patch is not applied as explicitly instructed.

Offline Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #428 on: July 14, 2019, 05:34:14 PM »
https://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/12776-sb-pro-pe-41-new-features-and-stuff/page/21/?tab=comments#comment-192277
We'll describe this in depth in the Release Notes.
Which I intend to publish some time this week.

Offline Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #429 on: July 14, 2019, 09:06:16 PM »
I just noticed that the MB 240GD (which is already in Steel Beasts) will be crewable in 4.1, based on the list of trucks that was posted earlier.

Offline Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #430 on: July 15, 2019, 04:16:11 AM »
I forgot to mention, the playable MB 240GD will be another vehicle to check off my wish list.

Matsimus took down the live stream and issued this post: https://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/12776-sb-pro-pe-41-new-features-and-stuff/page/21/?tab=comments#comment-192290
Quote from: Matsimus
Ok, so I don't come on here often to debate and chat on the forums as I have seen where it can go sometimes. But when people are privately contacting me telling me that people are calling me out, I'm a little taken back.

Firstly, SSnake, if you have a concerns with my stream and my:

"Matsimus bashed together in his zero preparation stream." or the fact I did not have a patch installed "even downright misleading in a case where a certain patch is not applied as explicitly instructed."

then maybe come speak to me and tell me that. I have worked hard to assist trying to sell your product and promote this community. Little shocked to see that kind of dialogue coming to light.

Secondly, as I mentioned in the beginning of the stream, the stream was not there to showcase the new update but merely INFORM people it was close to coming out and that I had started to take a look at it. I did not want to disclose too much for a few reasons. I just wanted to play the game and even said that MANY times as per 4.0. The reasons I did not want to focus on the updates are:

- I had been away from SB Pro for some time and therefore had not been able to get fully settled back into the game. Sadly I don't have the time to relearn the game heavily. Maybe I have always sucked, I will accept that.
- Just like a kid at Xmas I wanted to ensure the community had the chance to be excited and be in a place where things were not spoiled
- I was out of respect wanting to make sure I did not misinform the community of the features as I don't do well reading from a list of features and then explaining them if I did not make them
- The stream was meant to PROMOTE THE GAME. Not showcase the update. And considering the number of people watching (250 or so) and the questions being asked about where to buy it.....I think I succeeded.
- I knew that if I showcased things that I got wrong, things like this would happen, and the community would be upset. Which clearly from the sounds of it....some are.
- Finally I wanted to ensure that the people watching the stream focused on the fact that its not all about serious tactics and strategy. Its nice to enjoy the game in a way where I am not being called out for making a wrong move or decision. Its called fun and that's what I do when I come on to play games. Enjoy them. Hell, I could of spent 3 hours talking about how I would create my battle plan and discuss the AAR etc etc. But guess what, most people want to watch interesting game-play. Not tactics which they can learn as they play with us as a community.

I have done NOTHING but love this game and respect those who play it in this community. It seems like maybe I am doing something wrong where people don't agree. Fair enough, this is a open forum and I appreciate criticism. The FPS were not fixed with the patch, to me its not a big deal......its a game, it will get sorted one way or another. I installed everything again, reinstalled, removed the game completely and reset. No change, I was losing FPS. My computer is not a potato either. But I find it fascinating that I am being called out for it by so many.

Its safe to say that future updates and showcasing of this game will not be coming towards me. I accept that and understand that maybe it was not the best introduction to 4.1. Is that my fault? Maybe. But I'm not sure coming here to light me up about it is the best option.

Lots of YouTubers can be given this update and game and showcase it for you guys. I would welcome that they do it. As clearly I am not doing things right.

Lets hope future content I produce for SB pro is up to your standards.

Regards

Matt J
Matsimus

To be honest, I think Ssnake messed up and sent Matsimus the wrong folders in the patch RAR file (4.155 instead of 4.155.006), because he eventually seemed to get the install right. Also, here's Matsimus' newest Steel Beasts 4.1 video:

Offline Cougar11

• HAVOC
« Reply #431 on: July 15, 2019, 05:50:15 AM »
I personally did not like the stream, especially for the comments, questions, etc that detracted from showcasing the game. From what little he talks about in the aftermath, it seems like the usual troll, hater, and toxic community that is far too common with those on the SB forum.
I especially laughed at the assassin7 stream comments gloating and boasting about the M1A2SEP detail. Sounds like nothing had changed there.
I was hoping to see something spectacular, or at least something that sparked my interest again, but with the lack luster steam that I turned off soon after first contact and frame rate issues, and the confirmation of the toxicity that comes with the SB community, I still will not be coming back to the game at this time.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Online Frankie

• HAVOC
  • From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #432 on: July 15, 2019, 08:11:24 AM »
Just wanna say that the forums and posts by the friendly gaming Community on DOWVU are a blast of healthy, invigorating and fresh air. They make my day...any day.

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Offline wilso845

• HAVOC
  • ArmA
« Reply #433 on: July 15, 2019, 10:06:52 AM »
Only reason I kept my license going is purely because members of DoW, play the missions.
Due to my ill health it hasnít been as possible as I would have liked it to be, but I did mange a mission with Rinix and Oleg last Sunday.
Even though it had been a while it was a great mission and Iíd forgotten how tense it can be 😂.

So I will continue my license. I also do not engage the community forum, due to its toxicity and elitism.

Offline Cougar11

• HAVOC
« Reply #434 on: July 15, 2019, 12:37:05 PM »
Just wanna say that the forums and posts by the friendly gaming Community on DOWVU are a blast of healthy, invigorating and fresh air. They make my day...any day.
Yes here is definitely nothing like the SB forum and community.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Steel Armor: Blaze of War

Started by AsidBoard SABOW

Replies: 1
Views: 15568
Last post March 23, 2015, 09:15:11 PM
by Asid
Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942

Started by AsidBoard Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942

Replies: 11
Views: 23218
Last post March 07, 2015, 12:19:22 PM
by Asid
Steel Tank Add-on for SFK42

Started by AsidBoard Steel Tanks Addon (S.T.A)

Replies: 59
Views: 32518
Last post August 27, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
by Asid
Steel Fury - Kharkov 1942 - Demo

Started by AsidBoard Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942

Replies: 0
Views: 2753
Last post April 08, 2015, 04:01:01 AM
by Asid
Steel Armor: Blaze of War - Demo

Started by AsidBoard SABOW