Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Tamiya 1/48 Sea Harrier  (Read 13510 times)

Offline JudgeDredd

Re: Tamiya 1/48 Sea Harrier
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 02:36:48 PM »
Ok - I caved and decided the model was worth some extra effort. I'm not huge on sanding and filling, but it kind of needed it...

A fresh coat of Dark Sea Grey is required
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I am the Law

Offline JudgeDredd

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 04:21:23 PM »
Masked up ready for another coat

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I am the Law

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2015, 06:16:32 PM »
Ok - I caved and decided the model was worth some extra effort. I'm not huge on sanding and filling, but it kind of needed it...
Preparation is the key for best results.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline JudgeDredd

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2015, 09:42:29 PM »
Second coat applied

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I am the Law

Offline JudgeDredd

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 05:50:24 PM »
There's a couple of external bits to attach and the canopy as well as the sidewinders (which look fine) and the 1000lbs bombs (which don't and I need to redo for a 3rd time!!)

So here she is - standing on her own 7 wheels...

What's annoying is I've just discovered (looking at the decals) that before I put the sidewinder holders in place the RAF roundels should've been on - which isn't really feasible given you need to clear coat before applying decals to prevent silvering.

I've also just noticed that a couple of other decals should've been place before assembly - so some decals just won't be put on.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I am the Law

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2015, 06:20:05 PM »
What's annoying is I've just discovered (looking at the decals) that before I put the sidewinder holders in place the RAF roundels should've been on - which isn't really feasible given you need to clear coat before applying decals to prevent silvering.

I've also just noticed that a couple of other decals should've been place before assembly - so some decals just won't be put on.
•   Of course you read the destructions and looked closely at the diagram before you started….. lolol

Looking very good
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline JudgeDredd

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2015, 08:21:00 PM »
I do always go through the instructions once before I make the model. However, this has been in the works for a couple of months so the instructions don't stick. But - the fitting of those RAF roundels on the under wing don't even suggest they should be fitted before the Sidewinder fixings...and it's difficult to do so because it means fitting, painting AND adding Klear before you are really ready.

But - I could've been a bit more organised perhaps

Thank you  :D
Several coats of Klear applied.

I have to say - for a rather difficult model (awkward) she does look stunning. Not through my work - but as an aircraft and as a scale model of the plane.

I do like the paint scheme also. I wasn't a fan of the box art and the white and blue scheme. The Sea Grey seems more "battle ready".

To do...
Canopy - mask and paint and fix
Decals
1000lb bombs - repaint again, fix to fixings and fix to aircraft
Fit Sidewinders to Harrier
Final coat of Klear
Weather

Ouch - laying it out like that makes it seem like loads more to do.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I am the Law

Offline JudgeDredd

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2016, 06:09:47 PM »
I've been putting this off for ages because of the number of decals to put on...however, as I'm taking part in the From Russia With Love GB, I thought I should make a move and get this out the way

So I did the decals for the sides and top today - I still have the underneath to do. Rather unhelpfully, the instructions didn't tell me to fit the RAF roundels before fitting the weapon station and so now I have to cut them.

Still, she's not looking bad. I'll finish the decals hopefully today or tomorrow, then I will finish the 1,000lb bombs and sidewinders and fit them, give everything a coat of Alclad II Clear Gloss and then apply some weathering.

This one is Lt Commander Nigel "Sharkey" Ward (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharkey_Ward) - as I read his book, Sea Harrier Over The Falklands

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I am the Law

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2016, 06:17:11 PM »
Nice job JD

I like the engine detail. The extra time really paid off.

So I did the decals for the sides and top today - I still have the underneath to do. Rather unhelpfully, the instructions didn't tell me to fit the RAF roundels before fitting the weapon station and so now I have to cut them.
Did you read the instructions first? Be honest now lol.

I really like the look of it. The harrier is a favourite of mine.

Thanks for posting :)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline JudgeDredd

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2016, 07:05:21 PM »
Thank you. I like the extra detail I put on the engine. I didn't expect it to make much difference, but it has.

As for reading the instructions, I'm not sure...I can't recall. I go through them to look at the build, but I don't really go through  them in detail - I expect the instructions to tell me the steps in the correct order...not for me to fathom them out (and that's normally how the instructions go).

She's looking quite sexy now. The weathering will take some of that sheen off and dull the paintwork somewhat.

Someone over at ISM built the new Kinetic Sea Harrier and he's done a spiffing job.
http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=15918
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I am the Law

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2016, 07:45:29 PM »
Someone over at ISM built the new Kinetic Sea Harrier and he's done a spiffing job.
http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=15918

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline JudgeDredd

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2016, 10:48:11 PM »
Well...I'm done...in. Literally. This was a bit of a beast from start to finish. Raised panel lines, bad fit, awkward fit, painting issues and the straw the broke the proverbial...really, really bad canopy fit.

The fit was pretty poor throughout needing a fair bit of filler. I did what I could. But not being very experienced at such things, it shows in places. The awkwardness was little bits and pieces that just didn't go on well, making gluing a nightmare.

The painting issues were how I put the model together and how/when I painted. I'm no expert with an airbrush at all, and it showed throughout. Fitting of the Sidewinders resulted in me getting glue on my fat sausage fingers which then "rubbed some white paint of the missile...only for said fat finger to go holding the fuselage at the front and putting a big white stain on it...which obviously couldn't be airbrushed off because of the decals being on now!

On top of that, I had some Humbrol Clear Fix for the canopy. I had forgotten how shite this stuff was. Putting it on just left "contrails" of glue as I pulled the cocktail stick away, resulting in glue on the damn canopy. On top of that, the canopy was an awful (and really awkward) fit.

So that's me done. This is the first modern jet I've done and it was a bear! An old kit too - and the fit and moulding really showed. Is it all the models fault? Absolutely not. A lot was my misunderstanding on how to go about things for doing these...there's so much more to modern jets than WWII fighters or bombers imo.

Anyway - here's the final show. I'm not disappointed with what I did...but I have learned many things in the process that I will take with me to other models (hopefully).

If you look at the front right of the canopy, you can see where the glue got on it :'(

And if you look to the front of the nose, you can see a darker grey patch - where the white paint went and I tried to clean off and cover up  :'(

And here - the offending Sidewinder and smudged white paint from gluey fat fingers!  :'(

I was impressed with my extra work on the engine though - the one positive!

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 10:50:28 PM by JudgeDredd »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I am the Law

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 05:07:12 PM »
Hi JD

You have done a good job there. The fit can be a huge problem. Sometimes filler will not fix it. The glue thing used to get me many moons ago. I started to use tweezers and put glue on a surface and pick up a little with a needle. If I didn't do that then I would have glue prints everywhere.

Nice work.

Thank you for posting this.

I look forward to your next endeavour

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline JudgeDredd

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2016, 10:17:46 PM »
Thanks Asid.

Regarding the canopy...I should've done what I done with the Me262 - put white-tac on a cocktail stick and stick it on the canopy and then use that to place the canopy.

It was a dog of a build. Character building. I think she turned out fine - warts and all.

Next up is the Su-27SM Flanker
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I am the Law

Tags:

Harrier Jumpjet - 1988 Documentary

Started by Asid

Replies: 0