Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Nuclear War Simulator  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Nuclear War Simulator
« on: December 07, 2020, 04:45:41 AM »

A nuclear conflict simulation and visualisation tool

Home page
Forum
Youtube

Single-player

Nuclear War Simulator - Launch Trailer

About

Nuclear war simulator is a detailed realistic simulation and visualization of large-scale nuclear conflicts with a focus on humanitarian consequences. There are currently over 13000 nuclear weapons on this planet of which over 9000 are in military stockpiles. This software should help you answer the question: what will happen if Russia and the United States or India and Pakistan use their arsenals?

You can design warheads, missiles and carries, place them on the map and execute attack plans to tell a credible story about how nuclear conflicts play out and what are the consequences. Using a high-resolution population density map and realistic weapons effects like blast, heat and radiation you can make an estimate of how many people will die in a conflict.

Nuclear conflict scenarios

You can design realistic large-scale scenarios between major powers with thousands of warheads. Scenarios can be created manually where you can assign each warhead individually or with the assistance of an AI for faster targeting. It is also possible to simulate whole conflicts with a few clicks on the map interactively. You can download scenarios created by other people and upload your scenarios to the mods.io server.

Realistic effects of nuclear weapons

The simulation includes a high-resolution population density grid. The effects of blast, heat, fires and radiation are calculated and visualized for each population cell to estimate fatalities (similar to Alex Wellerstein’s NUKEMAP). The destruction of military targets is simulated using a model considering the CEP of the weapon, target hardness and cratering.
You can place yourself, your family and friends into the simulation to estimate the expected injuries and survival probability. The amount of burnt fuel and produced soot are also calculated to estimate the effects of nuclear winter using a simplified model.

Design and placement of objects

Using an intuitive UI you can design warheads, place them on missiles and into silos, on aircraft, TELs and submarines.
You can then place the forces onto the map simply clicking on it or importing real-world locations from KMZ files.
If you know how much uranium and plutonium is needed for one warhead, you can estimate how many can be build from today’s stockpiles if a country wants to.

Modding and interfaces

The simulation supports some basic modding of unit textures, loading screens and background music. It is also possible to share unit blueprints and scenarios with others.
If you have simulated a conflict in another tool you can import the list of detonations as a simple CSV file to calculate the humanitarian effects. On the other hand, you can also export the list of detonations together with the burnt soot into other tools like detailed climate simulations.

Some more details can be found in the screenshots and technical details sections. Follow me on twitter to stay updated.

Work in progress

This simulation is not yet finished. Some aspects are not very accurate or missing entirely: ballistic missiles flight times are only approximate, nuclear winter model is not complete. Some models may have to be replaced completely in the future. Please let me know if you detect some severe inaccuracies. If you think you can use this simulation in one of your projects but some calculation or visualization is missing please contact me and I will try to implement it.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: Nuclear War Simulator
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 04:48:39 AM »
Cinematic compilation - Nuclear War Simulator

A compilation of cinematic scenes recorded with NWS displaying a potential conflict between the United States of America and Russia.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 04:49:56 AM »
Ballistic missiles modeling

This video shows the new physically correct ballistic missile flight. This new feature should result in realistic flight times and later in realistic detection times by radar.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline MODy

• Nuclear War Simulator
  • Developer
    • Nuclear War Simulator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 06:15:13 PM »
Hi everyone! Thanks for introducing me to this forum.
I am the developer of the Nuclear War Simulator, here to answer questions and participate in the discussion.
If you have any questions or suggestions, let me know and I will see what I can do.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
Members reacted informative:
Asid,
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 02:51:06 AM »
Build 211 - Civilian infrastructure and fallout plume visualization
24 Dec 2020
by Ivan Stepanov (@ivnstepanov)
=

This update adds objects of civilian infrastructure based on real-word databases, introduces a visualization of the fallout plumes and some optimizations.

Objects of civilian infrastructure

- New Feature: a number of objects of civilian infrastructure are added.

Powerplants:

Refineries:

Harbors:

Airports:

Hospitals:

The objects can be destroyed while the settings for each target type hardness can be set in a separate menu.

Refineries and oil storage facilities will burn and produce soot when destroyed, contributing to the effects of nuclear winter.

And here is a video explaining these features:

Fallout visualization

- New Feature: fallout plumes are visualized using parts of the WSEG-10 fallout model. The visualized plume covers approximately the same area as the area exposed to radiation and can be used to estimate the time of arrival at a specific location.

You can find the documentation of the fallout codes here: https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a083515.pdf
- Optimisation: the destruction of units by the blast
- Optimisation: rolling the globe is no longer choppy

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline MODy

• Nuclear War Simulator
  • Developer
    • Nuclear War Simulator
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 08:12:05 PM »
New Update: Build 214 - Visualization settings and burning cities
This update improves the visualization of burning cities and allows saving most visualization settings.

Burning cities
- New Feature: burning cities are animated, the size of the displayed burning area is displaying the area affected by 10 cal/cm^2
- New Feature: smoke from burning cities is moving with the speed of the wind
- New Feature: smoke from burning cities scales with the amount of burning fuel

Visualization settings
- New Feature: graphics settings are saved

- New Feature: city lights intensity can be adjusted

- New Feature: minimum displayed harbor size can be set and saved

- Bug Fix: temperature went to zero if soot amount went over 150 Tg

As always, feel free to ask me any questions or leave your suggestions!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
Members reacted informative:
Asid,
Members reacted Thanks:
Asid,

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 11:28:41 PM »
Thanks for the update MODy  :thumbsup
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 11:49:00 PM »
Matrix Games announced Nuclear War Simulator
10 June 2021

Matrix Games announces it has a signed a deal with Ivan Stepanov to publish its Nuclear War Simulator product. This collaboration will allow Matrix Games to further develop its roster of accurate modern warfare simulation software for commercial and professional use.
Alongside the development of a stand-alone version of the software for professional purposes, the deal's short-term goals are to optimize it and integrate its capabilities with Command Professional Edition.

About Ivan Stepanov
Ivan grew up in the city of Semipalatinsk, just miles away from the nuclear site where the Soviet Union tested most of their weapons.
He started reading and collecting information about nuclear weapons very early, only to find out that there was no digital simulation dealing with the subject in great detail.
He started working on the Nuclear War Simulator project to fill that gap and further enhanced the software's capabilities in many years of hard work and analysis.

The Simulation
Nuclear war simulator is a detailed realistic simulation and visualization of large-scale nuclear conflicts with a focus on humanitarian consequences; in this simulation, you can design warheads, missiles, and carries, place them on the map and execute attack plans to tell a credible story about how nuclear conflicts play out and what are the consequences.
Using a high-resolution population density map and realistic weapons effects like blast, heat, and radiation, you can make an estimate of how many people will die in a conflict.

Features:
Setup large conflict scenarios with hundreds of units and thousands of warheads. You can replay the scenarios, considering effects like first strike, second strike, and estimate the humanitarian impact.

Models from the Cold War are used to calculate the physical effects of nuclear explosions on military targets and on the population using a high-resolution population density grid.

Design warheads, missiles, bombs, silos, bombers, mobile carriers and position them on the map to recreate past, present, or future arsenals.

Create attack plans aiming at military targets or population.

Scenarios can be saved and you can easily download scenarios created by other people.

Modify and share scenarios, unit blueprints, icon textures, etc.

Product Page

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Wargame: Red Dragon

Started by Commissar Martin

Replies: 6