Translations for our friends around the world.

eSim

esimwhite1
 Save

Author Topic: Steel Beasts Dynamic Terrain Will Come After New Terrain Engine  (Read 77356 times)

Offline Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
Re: Steel Beasts Dynamic Terrain Will Come After New Terrain Engine
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2017, 06:40:40 PM »
http://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/11302-eta-on-terrain-patch/?page=4#comment-174812
Quote from: Ssnake
The download option is likely, but undecided yet. It really depends on how large the sum of all converted maps will become. At this point I'm hard pressed to make a final statement. In any case the price of a separate map installer on a DVD set will be low, under $20.-, which would typically fly under the radar of customs where they often have a value threshold for an import (in Germany it's somewhere around 40 EUR).
I ride inside Steel Beasts.

Online Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2017, 06:56:17 PM »
The download option is likely, but undecided yet. It really depends on how large the sum of all converted maps will become. At this point I'm hard pressed to make a final statement. In any case the price of a separate map installer on a DVD set will be low, under $20.

What? They do know that most people have a decent download don't they? I do not like this idea. Also consider most of the time esim release an update etc, they need to hotfix it.

Oh and being $20 ....So much for the "already paid for update"  :thumbdown

Not everyone wants or needs a physical copy.

NOT GOOD  :Wag finger

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2017, 07:32:09 PM »
The download option is likely, but undecided yet. It really depends on how large the sum of all converted maps will become. At this point I'm hard pressed to make a final statement. In any case the price of a separate map installer on a DVD set will be low, under $20.

What? They do know that most people have a decent download don't they? I do not like this idea. Also consider most of the time esim release an update etc, they need to hotfix it.

Oh and being $20 ....So much for the "already paid for update"  :thumbdown

Not everyone wants or needs a physical copy.

NOT GOOD  :Wag finger

Ssnake is already getting pushback:
http://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/11302-eta-on-terrain-patch/?page=4#comment-174813
Quote from: Stavka
I understand and know that exist associated costs to have a large amount of files in a server to be available to be download like bandwidth limits, electricity and maintenance costs, etc.

Here because our "lovely" laws, we not have a minimum and always spend months on custom services. For a 20 order I need to pay around +60 (totaling over than 80) for handling+shipment+vat+fees+customs, so as you can understand is very unfair and frustrating paying like almost 4x more to fill the belly of burocrats.

So if it is a pain to have the free download, I think a fee of 15 its a very fair price for a very large amount of download access and I don't mind to pay that 15 fee to have access to that data for download way and I fully understand. But Please, don't do dvd only!

Thank You!!!

http://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/11302-eta-on-terrain-patch/?page=4#comment-174814
Quote from: Stavka
When I say 15 its a majority price and ofc depends of the size of that maps. If you see here: https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/ 15 per user can pay easily download and storage of a large amount of GB's, also that prices are only a reference, exist cheaper services.
;)

Offline Lusik

• HAVOC
« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2017, 07:40:44 PM »
Are we back in 2007?  ??? DVD may be an option but most people can download 40+ GB easily.

Online Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2017, 07:42:28 PM »
We were told that the "upgrade" to 4.019 included the cost of the terrain update, which was delayed. I have told quite a few people this also. It seems that things have changed.

If someone wants a hard copy then extra costs are understandable. This makes the price more of an issue for the majority.

Not good  :Wag finger

Offline Cougar11

• HAVOC
« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2017, 09:37:38 PM »
We were told that the "upgrade" to 4.019 included the cost of the terrain update, which was delayed. I have told quite a few people this also. It seems that things have changed.

If someone wants a hard copy then extra costs are understandable. This makes the price more of an issue for the majority.

This has made me think twice about keeping my copy. Love on the game with friends, but not sure I'm willing to put up with esims crap.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Offline Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2017, 10:21:39 PM »

To be clear, 4.019 was a free patch. The new terrain engine was supposed to be free too. But so far, only the $20 DVD option is certain to come out.

Meanwhile, the backlash continues:
http://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/11302-eta-on-terrain-patch/?page=4#comment-174817
Quote from: Vikingo
I hope a download version will be available if not it will be a no go for me. My country now have new customs laws and then after all the extra $$$ and extreme paper work the customs/mail office steals lot of stuff so I hope for a pay download version. If not bye-bye new maps for me :|

http://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/11302-eta-on-terrain-patch/?page=4#comment-174819
Quote from: stavka
ohhhh yes, I even forgot that thing, the stolen side. Its true, in my physic orders 2x I was stolen from them and need to re-order again. And many others situations I received damaged things because their dirty and no care hands searching the interior to try to find if exist there illegal things (or something that is nice to steal).

The traditional physical distribution is dead since long time in many digital entertainment sectors, see the modern consoles, steam, ..... for example x-plane11 is around 60GB to download and no issues to do it.
So Ssnake, please, in modern times of fast internet, take all this into consideration and gave us an option for also download and with a tiny paid fee.

Quote from: Vikingo
yes, same situation here! :/ Crossing fingers x download version. And of course I keep my dongle between cottons.

Online Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2017, 10:49:25 PM »
The last upgrade we paid for was $40. We were told the terrain would come later but we would not have to pay as the paid update included the terrain.

Online Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2017, 10:50:55 PM »
Point is I am sure we have paid for the terrain.  :confused

Offline Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2017, 11:08:53 PM »
The last upgrade we paid for was $40. We were told the terrain would come later but we would not have to pay as the paid update included the terrain.
Point is I am sure we have paid for the terrain.  :confused
That last upgrade we paid for was 4.000. Everything after that has been free patches. But we have certainly already paid for the terrain.

And Lusik does have a point about DVDs being outdated. There are more cases being released these days with no optical drive bays than there were in the past. Digital distribution has become so pervasive that some gamers are actually scared of physical media. Considering that all cases these days have USB ports, you'd think they'd go primarily digital distribution for the map installer, and sell a USB stick for those that want it.

Offline Cupcake

• HAVOC
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2017, 11:44:16 PM »
Yeah I think they'd be crazy not to offer it for download. As was mentioned in the thread, Amazon S3 is pretty cheap.  I mean, 2.3 cents per GB per month to store the data, and 9 cents per GB for transfers from S3 out to the Internet.

Also, I do not have DVD drive, so it would have to be either USB drive (better option than DVD in my opinion) or download for me (much preferred for most, I'd think).

Online Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2017, 11:58:54 PM »

Also, I do not have DVD drive,

Most laptops don't have a DVD drive in-built these days. Many people don't have them on desktops either. A USB drive option would increase the price even more.

I have many games over 20GB. No issue downloading or updating them. I know some people have download limits forced on them and that is where the OPTION of a physical disk could come in.

Offline Cougar11

• HAVOC
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2017, 12:09:13 AM »

Also, I do not have DVD drive,

Most laptops don't have a DVD drive in-built these days. Many people don't have them on desktops either. A USB drive option would increase the price even more.

I have many games over 20GB. No issue downloading or updating them. I know some people have download limits forced on them and that is where the OPTION of a physical disk could come in.
World of tanks and world of Warships have no problem sending out 100-600gb updates, and they are free.

Offline Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2017, 12:17:00 AM »
World of tanks and world of Warships have no problem sending out 100-600gb updates, and they are free.

I think you meant to say 100600 MB.

Online Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2017, 12:35:16 AM »
I just updated a game on Steam with a 6GB update.

I have a flight simulation install of 82GB and this is very small. Some scenery packages are many GB's. X-Plane 11 is a 65GB install and yet it is available by download or physical disks.

Games like grand theft auto V are over 60GB. These are all available to download.

Steel Armor: Blaze of War

Started by AsidBoard SABOW

Replies: 1
Views: 16408
Last post March 23, 2015, 09:15:11 PM
by Asid
Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942

Started by AsidBoard Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942

Replies: 11
Views: 24427
Last post March 07, 2015, 12:19:22 PM
by Asid
Steel Tank Add-on for SFK42

Started by AsidBoard Steel Tanks Addon (S.T.A)

Replies: 59
Views: 35268
Last post August 27, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
by Asid
Steel Fury - Kharkov 1942 - Demo

Started by AsidBoard Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942

Replies: 0
Views: 3412
Last post April 08, 2015, 04:01:01 AM
by Asid
Steel Armor: Blaze of War - Demo

Started by AsidBoard SABOW