Translations for our friends around the world.

Click on banner for Tornado website

Click.gif 

Author Topic: How I used Open Broadcaster Software and QiPress Lite to record a game session  (Read 7271 times)

Offline Frankie

• From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
Hi All Dogs Of War VU Members and Guests

In this post, I will demonstrate how I recorded a DOSBox Tornado game session with OBS 0.14.2 Studio. The visual keypress feedback is provided by QiPress Lite. The beauty of this software combo isu You can record any game, not just Tornado, and show what keys You are using in the game.

IMHO, this is very useful for demonstrating a sim that has hundreds of keystroke combinations. Tornado comes to mind. More so Falcon 4.0, BMS and DCS (I think). The video becomes more instructive because the viewer can see what keystrokes the Youtuber is using.

My software setup. The 'toughest part' was setting up the windows in OBS. But now I know the trick!

Thanks to Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) 0.14.2 for making this recording possible, and to QiPress Lite for displaying the instant keyboard key-press visuals. Now you can teach others how to play a game because they can observe your keystrokes at the exact moment in the game. The applications of this are endless! Move over PewDiePie, you can be a Youtuber too.

Me, having a bad hairday, but having TONS OF FUN as a Tornado Youtuber. I may not be smiling much in the video, but boy, am I having fun recording this! The keystrokes are displayed at the bottom-left hand corner of the screen. I didn't speak, but anyway...enjoy!

In closing, sorry for not combing my hair and for looking so serious in the video. But seriously folks, now I know how I can make instructive videos of my beloved Tornado sessions.  Can this software setup be used to teach DCS World and even SteelBeasts 4.0?

The answer is ... YES!!!

Cheers,
Frankie Kam

P.S. Apparently I had my caps lock on the entire game. The in-game music was lagging most of the time. The drum beats were out of sync. I set the Roland and Soundblaster settings to on. Perhaps I had too many windows open.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:23:17 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
This is a great post Frankie.

Thanks for making it :)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
For your information, SpeedWagon of DOW is creating a PDF DEBRIEF/MISSION ANALYSIS of my "JP-233 attack" mission Youtube video (see this other post of mine). The draft of his PDF instructional file is available here: http://www.slideshare.net/kamboonseng/mission-analysis-of-frankie-kams-tornado-video

Sample page. Click the image below to access the SlideShare.net document:

Clearly, using QiPress (to show my real-time keystrokes) and OBS to combine webcam, game window and QiPress has the benefit of allowing others to analyse my game. Case in point is this PDF which is NOT yet in its final form.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 03:41:44 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Speedwagon

• Tornado
This is really nice work Frankie. Thanks for putting these videos together and asking me to comment on the ODS mission. I know analysis of a takeoff and landing might seem like overkill but I wanted to take a thorough and professional approach. And you've created a fantastic teaching tool. The more I watched the video the more I realized the power of the video/audio/keystroke combination. It allows you to catch details that otherwise might be missed. Imagine what a reference library of such videos could do to speed up learning a new sim as well as explaining advanced topics!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Tom N

• Tornado
Additional criticism:

As soon as going into mission planner and having done all the waypoint and target checkings finally check your payload !!

Then on the runway one good thing was the coordination of turning on afterburners and quickly releasing the brakes.

You made some close call with your take off speed with about 203 kts, when the ground speed on the pavement gets to high with about 215kts !
try pulling up around 150 kts with afterburners, without around 175 kts.

With afterburners on you then really should have reacted fast, good thing you got your gears up in time. With those down and accelerating you would have locked them beyond 255 kts. (or some value nearby)

When you exceeded 290 kts you destroyed your flaps maneuverability, locking them in that middle position, still you could use those two slower (slowing down) wing sweep positions to your advantage.--> for Landing again later.

Compare your fuel reserve from start (8xxx LBS) to abortion (4xxx LBS) you used up around 4000 LBS of fuel in no time (3min.s) !

During darktime it can be useful to cycle the mfd (multiple function display) from map to front camera and back to map or maybe to air radar for avoiding crashes with structures or air vehicles.

Another thing about me avoiding autopilot setting is that it creates another sub-tab withn that MFD, means when cycling through that  with "d" you just need to skip one more function !

--> get used to accelerating without afterburners (it helps having a slow take off to do all those switchings more relaxed, ou need afterburners to a certain degree when taking off with heavy weight, so accelerate to 250 kts with afterburners then put them off for switchings or just experiment further on, luckily this is where the freedom of this simulation begins --> right after take off ^^),  flying low without afterburners and without autopiot ,   taking off with low angles and adjusting then the vertical speed indicated  to a minimum climbing  for better speed gaining and putting the flaps back into the wings.

("VSI" on HUD on right side, or it is the most left instrument above those flaps and wingsweep indicator)

you need first to get above 25 ft to avoid this catching bug net at the end of the runway) , later climb above 160ft so to avoid most ground structures, Tall Stacks and Cooling Towers still are dangerous.
Through "qipress"(thankfully for this one occasion) it only became more obvious what happened to your wings and flaps as Speedwagon mentioned already.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 11:38:08 PM by Tom N »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
Thanks for the remarks and advice on use of afterburners, Tom N!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Tornado Review on gamefabrique.com

Started by Frankie

Replies: 0
    Views: 2060
    Last post December 06, 2019, 04:01:16 AM
    by Frankie
    Tornado TeamSpeak Chat Session (Saturdays, 11:00 AM, UTC)

Started by Frankie

Views: 4203
    Last post May 14, 2016, 04:50:05 AM
    by Frankie
    Freeware Tornado Encyclopedia software by Tércio Sampaio.

Started by Frankie

Views: 2491
    Last post March 06, 2020, 12:16:27 PM
    by Frankie
    Loft (toss) bombing in Tornado - a Youtube gameplay video by Frankie

Started by Frankie

Replies: 7
    Views: 7951
    Last post October 07, 2016, 01:08:14 AM
    by Frankie
    Tornado - DOS Video Game on Raspberry Pi