Translations for our friends around the world.

eSim

esimwhite1
 Save

Author Topic: Steel Beasts Radio Simulator Proposal  (Read 6503 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: Steel Beasts Radio Simulator Proposal
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 05:36:03 PM »
My question is, do I need to add the dx dll that allows joystick buttons to be recognized, or do we all do what I do, which is code our joysticks with TARGET GUI or similar, such that our joysticks are just replicating complicated keystrokes?
This is what you should do as not all control input devices have a separate UI/control panel that would allow macro programming.

Regards

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Durham

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 05:38:15 PM »
The code is just showing the windows driver I have to use to identify the connected joysticks, which is a pre-requisite of using their input, which in this case would be buttons.  I am just trying to understand whether most of our group use keyboard and mouse only and if those who use joysticks use a keycode replicator (as I do with Thrustmaster) for the buttons or actually use buttons in the clear.  Only in the last case would I need to allow a joystick button to be one of the three hotkeys.

Offline Cougar11

• HAVOC
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 02:27:50 AM »
I would allow for the most freedom and versatility with in reason.

Offline Calpurnius

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2016, 07:49:33 AM »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but did Durham get any further with this project?

Offline wilso845

• HAVOC
  • ArmA
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2016, 12:45:55 PM »
No mate it's a dead project

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2016, 02:09:24 PM »
There is another radio that was worked on by myself. It can be used in any game not just Steel Beasts.

It has multiple channels
   Does not use TeamSpeak
   It is standalone
   It has a simple UI
   Frequency selectable.
   Possibility of using custom hardware created by myself.

The radio is working at this very moment. However it is not able to use hotkeys at this point.

The programme would only be available to DOW members currently and would only be able to be used within DOW games.

The problem is one of time. As many of you know, I have a lot on my "plate".

I will report back when I have made more progress.

Regards

Offline Cougar11

• HAVOC
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2016, 03:51:45 PM »
This would be nice, and thank you Asid for continuing with this. In my opinion the setup seen with Kanium is good, and will be good enough for now. In the future it will be great to have a more realistic radio system. Stay tuned.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2016, 03:55:05 PM »
Hi Cougar

We have used Channel commander etc. in the past but at that time there were a few people in the group who found it problematic to setup (though we helped) or did not like it. That is why we never continued with it.

Time is always the issue for me.

Regards

Offline Calpurnius

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2016, 05:39:36 PM »
Yeah that sounds decent Asid.
I did a bit of digging and found Aries http://ariescon.com/index10.html specifically the gossip box.  While it was developed for use within DCS, as you can see by all the add ons for making a working ATC, the manual allows the gossip box to be utilised as a stand alone with just Teamspeak, so It could be used for any type of Coop game needing radio coms. 

Offline Yassy

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2016, 01:46:25 PM »
As a long time user of Aries in a DCS virtual squadron I would like to warn you for its instability. Perhaps the standalone gossipbox is better (we never really used it), but Aries Radio inside DCS always has been very crash prone.

There is a teamspeak plugin called 'Crosstalk'. It simulates radio reception (just the quality and sound of it) when talking over TS. This might be an easier addition to immersion? There are no frequencies to be set, just the sound of a radio conncetion when talking, but because we cannot model LOS and interference for radio reception in SB Pro anyway I am not sure what an external application would bring extra?

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2016, 02:15:10 PM »
I am not sure what an external application would bring extra?

Hi Yassy

What I have is a stand-alone programme. It allows the user to select any frequency and allocate it to a channel. It can successfully simulate a command net. It can be used for any game. It has a simple GUI. You see the buttons for the channels on screen. You can select them. Fast and simple. This should allow a setup for example where you have several platoons. You can have comms inside a specific tank, platoon and up to the CO. You will not have to create whisper lists mid game. just select the channel.

The ability to have simple, cheap hardware to have a physical connection to the radio is a very big plus.

This project is different than the one proposed by the OP.

Regards

Offline Stormin Norman

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2016, 01:06:47 AM »
This sounds like a great idea.

Some points I'd like to add is to make intercom only for multi crew. Because, realistically, a crewman would key his CVC back and be able to talk freely without hitting any keys, buttons or anything.

Point two you could represent a key'd in the middle position so there is no coms.

Point three would be the TC would change net channels with the radio and the crew would key forward  from the CVC to transmit over the net.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 04:17:27 PM by Stormin Norman »

Steel Armor: Blaze of War

Started by AsidBoard SABOW

Replies: 1
Views: 16394
Last post March 23, 2015, 09:15:11 PM
by Asid
Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942

Started by AsidBoard Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942

Replies: 11
Views: 24407
Last post March 07, 2015, 12:19:22 PM
by Asid
Steel Tank Add-on for SFK42

Started by AsidBoard Steel Tanks Addon (S.T.A)

Replies: 59
Views: 35226
Last post August 27, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
by Asid
Steel Fury - Kharkov 1942 - Demo

Started by AsidBoard Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942

Replies: 0
Views: 3383
Last post April 08, 2015, 04:01:01 AM
by Asid
Steel Armor: Blaze of War - Demo

Started by AsidBoard SABOW