Translations for our friends around the world.

Click on banner for Theater of Operations website

Save

Author Topic: Recent discussion about graphics being to busy  (Read 16100 times)

Offline A Canadian Cat

Recent discussion about graphics being to busy
« on: September 04, 2015, 04:32:29 AM »
One of the kick starter comments (I think that was where I saw it) complained about the map being to busy.  As usual the comment focused on what they did not like.  I want to say using topo maps - especially real one is aces.  I absolutely love that.  What I noticed looking at other topo maps is that the colours on the map are more subdued and the lines finer.

I fired up photo shop and tweaked one of your screen shots.  Basically I lowered the saturation and increased the brightness of the map elements (blues and res about the same, yellows more).  Not much I can do with the line thickness so that has not changed.  I think that the unit boxes stand out much more and are easier to see.  A tweak like that may work for you.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: Recent discussion about graphics being to busy
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 04:41:07 AM »
Hi ACC

Your map looks a lot less "busy" and may be easier for some to discern the topography. There is a lot one can do with the counters. Such as shading or outlining. Maybe even make the counter look 3D.

Early days. Much to discuss. However an important point.

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline A Canadian Cat

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 04:59:08 AM »
Yep, there are other strategies that can help too (note the grey units do not stand out on the new map).  I totally get that it is early - just wanted to raise the idea.  I like the idea of being in early on the discussions.

@Asid are you working on the development?  I do not really know who is who other than Matt.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 05:31:33 AM »
I like the idea of being in early on the discussions.

Agreed. You get to help shape the sim/wargame you always wanted.

@Asid are you working on the development?  I do not really know who is who other than Matt.

I am always working ;)

I believe you will see comments expressing opposition to one style of map/counter as opposed to another. This is normal. However there will be discernible groups that will develop. Such as Grognards who want the "real thing" or conversely the "casual" gamer/strategist/part-time general who will want something that looks good and is easy to understand even if it is at the expense of "realism". Then you will have the gamers who want "chrome" and the lack of it may affect their decision to purchase. You cannot please them all.

Remember the map provides information at its basic level. That information has to be discernible to allow for successful planning.

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline A Canadian Cat

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 08:57:30 PM »
Indeed.  Which is why from me you will see opinions mostly suggestions and usually a reason why and if they aren't taken you might hear them again when I forget I gave them out already but no whining :D (I hope)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline 76mm

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 06:18:04 AM »
I'm not really against the topo map format, but am not sure I'm for it either.  My concern is whether the 200m terrain tiles will allow mapmakers to accurately represent the terrain shown on the topos?

Also, I was wondering whether mapmakers can use other types of graphics for maps?  I'm guessing that the 200m terrain tiles would be overlaid on whatever map image is used, so it shouldn't matter whether a topo is used or not?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 04:33:41 PM »
Greetings all! First off let me give a big thanks to Asid for hosting us!

Canadian Cat, that is flippin fantastic!!! I am NOT a graphic artist...never pretended to be talented in that area. So what you suggest is great. Now the fallschirm units are hard to see as you mention. Would you be willing to tweak some more pics? Is there anything you can do with the Fallschirm units? I can try to do some tweaks as well...but it may be awhile before I complete anything...

Quick note:  I have been conversing with Tim North at RPS and he is going to give us further exposure in their Flare Path again. I will also try to check back in here more often now that we are up and running here.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 04:51:47 PM »
There are many things which can be done to the chits to make them more visible. This can be done through the use of colours/shaders.

Making the chits user moddable is the way forward.

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 04:57:11 PM »
Asid, that has been the plan all along...even after publication so the the modders can have fun! ;D
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 06:06:28 PM »
Asid, that has been the plan all along...even after publication so the the modders can have fun! ;D

Not all developers encourage modding. Great that it is integral to CO  :)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 07:57:11 PM »
I do value modders. Among many other good reasons, I believe it helps draw people in...they feel more vested in the game. Plus people may get more value out of a different visual. Hey I don't care, I want the players to want to play!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

kohlenklau

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 08:09:44 PM »
post deleted
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 07:30:04 PM by kohlenklau »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline A Canadian Cat

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 03:07:02 PM »
Canadian Cat, that is flippin fantastic!!! I am NOT a graphic artist...never pretended to be talented in that area. So what you suggest is great. Now the fallschirm units are hard to see as you mention. Would you be willing to tweak some more pics? Is there anything you can do with the Fallschirm units?

I would be happy to pitch in with some image tweaking.  Best way forward would be for me to tweak your topo map and then when you assemble future graphics package they well just look like my example as you build them.

I'm no graphic artist either but I am a photographer so I know how to handle adjustments in photoshop (my example is a combination of channel de-saturation and contrast adjustments).

I have sent you a PM wit my email.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 06:08:07 PM »
Got it and thanks!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline 76mm

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 04:36:38 AM »
Any response to my two points?

--will the 200m terrain tiles will allow mapmakers to accurately represent the terrain shown on the topos?  Seems it could be challenging for sloping or broken terrain?

--will mapmakers be able to use other types of graphics for maps?  I'm guessing that the 200m terrain tiles would be overlaid on whatever map image is used, so it shouldn't matter whether a topo is used or not?

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags: