Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Primitive Technology  (Read 6424 times)

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
Primitive Technology
« on: September 19, 2016, 11:04:45 PM »
I think they should teach this in school...

Basically kid´s would have more fun and learn useful stuff, beside the value of living a simple life and appreciation of what nature can give you  :)

Yeah, no PC´s guy´s I know! I could live with it, a panoramic TV of nature  ;)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: Primitive Technology
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 11:21:31 PM »
I posted the tiled roof one before in the Life is feudal game section:  http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php/topic,2883.0.html

Real skills which will one day be lost.

Thanks for posting this.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Longknife

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 12:29:33 PM »
I'm with you Red. I have always had a love of the old ways & even apprenticed as a blacksmith when I was in my teens. I have been trying to talk the Mrs into a simpler life. Sell our house & build a cob house in an even more remote place then we live now & start farming using horses to work the land. Self sufficiency is what I am interested in. She of course likes her air conditioning, TV shows & bubble baths.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Cougar11

• HAVOC
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 03:21:40 PM »
Longknife you are talking about giving up ask your games, and this great group. Blasphemy lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Longknife

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 03:34:23 PM »
Very true brah but also talking about giving up the corporate grind.

Hell there is no way I would give up my laptop anyway. SB runs fine on it  ;D
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 04:01:16 PM »
Yeah I know what you mean. Lucky enough my girlfriend would like to live in the wild too.  We are looking for a house in the mountains, even as caretakers, but not easy to find, and I also have my other family that I can´t be to far away from.

Love nature! Here are some pics of my 6 day solo run (part of the GR11 route in Spain)...

http://www.senderosgr.es/SenderosDetalle.aspx?IdSendero=36

Start:

End.

I have to do the other half of the GR11 someday  ;)

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 07:02:14 PM by Red2112 »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Longknife

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 04:25:48 PM »
Beautiful country! Looks like a great time!! Did you do any fishing??

Got to love rocky terrain, only good for walking over & looking at! LOL

I love hiking & kayaking. They are the only things that keep me fit. Driving a desk for 10hrs a day is hard on the body.

We hiked the Red River Gorge here in Kentucky last month. Same kind of country, very steep & rocky with just enough soil to keep some trees on.

Not my pics, they still on the camera but to give you an idea of the area. We going to go back next month when all the leaves are turning.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 06:46:51 PM »
No, no fishing.  I usually hike in UL mode (ultra light). Max full pack weight (food included) is around 11-13kg. which leaves me with enough food for six day´s.  I like to hike but I don´t like to suffer, if you know what I mean, steep hill´s will put some pain as it is, so no extra weight for me, besides Iam over my 50´s and did work as a construction worker when I was younger, so my back isn´t that healthy. Yeah, done office work too so I know what you mean.  The good thing about this route (GR11) is that you don´t go below 1,500mt aprox. so the best part of the route (18 day´s) you´r between 1.500 and 3.000mt. No chance to see many towns to refill unless you go down to the town closest to the route, refill (food) and go back up again. You have to plan every detail when solo and UL. The whole route is about 28 day´s if you walk 5-7hrs a day with minor stops.  Done most of the  3,000mt summit´s here in Spain.  Some year´s ago I had a look at the "Appalachian Trail" and really wanted to do that. It´s one hell of a trail  :)

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail

Check out it out on YT!

Pending on my side is "Mont Blanc" in France (4,810mts.) and Everest national park which I almost did but meet a girl and... ;D  I wish I did cuz we are no longer together hahaha!

Trail looks nice, this would be "mid mountain" (1,000-1,500mt.) here in Spain.  If you like fishing Canada is great for that, did alot when I was younger.

Glad we like the same stuff Lonkinife! Iam into woodcarving lately too  :)

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 06:57:54 PM by Red2112 »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Longknife

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 07:12:22 PM »
I have hiked parts of the Appalachian trail many times. I used to live just outside of Harrisburg PA & the trail was in my back yard. I have always wanted to take the time to go from one end to the other but I have bills to pay so that is out. LOL

I also go UL when hiking. In the Army we had a saying, ounces equal pounds & pounds equal pain. Being also on the shady side of 50 I try to keep as much pain out of my life as possible. HAHA

Glad we like the same stuff Lonkinife! Iam into woodcarving lately too  :)

Yes I believe we would get on famously. I lack the artistic ability to wood carve but I am a pretty good cabinet maker & have a complete wood working shop in my barn.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 10:15:56 AM »
Bills, bills. bills..yeah I know.  That´s why living a primitive life would not be so bad, besides with so many things to do you would not be bored along the day.  I had some free time when I thought about the trail, still a three month trail would have been expensive besides the trip to US.  The Everest trip was more viable for me then, and it´s cheap to live in that area.

Woodcarving is not that hard at first. Maybe for some the hardest part is knowing how to draw, but you can always have someone draw it for you. Most important, the right tools, sharp tools and go with the grain (clockwise and counter-clockwise) starting at 12 o´clock.  I use Swiss made Pfeil tools and Arkansas stones for sharpening.

http://www.pfeiltools.com/en/home.html

Check out Mary May´s tutorial videso on YT. She´s quite good and her free tutorials are a good start.

What a coincidences regarding the Appalachian trail! I could have told you any other trail! Love it when life dose that  :)

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 09:32:26 AM by Red2112 »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• HAVOC
  • From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 10:57:49 AM »
I can't believe I sat and watched the entire "tiled roof" video. But I am glad I watched this real-life Minecraft crafting a home out of natural materials and nature. Glad because if I were to be marooned on a deserted island then I can build my own hut/tiled roof. I think I can survive in the wild now. Only thing I will be pretty much nackered just from cutting down a few saplings with a stone axe.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 01:00:13 PM »
I use Swiss made Pfeil tools and Arkansas stones for sharpening.

I use Pheil as well. Not for carving but for woodworking & wood turning. I like Japanese wet stones though. Love that mirror shine you get with them!

Quote from: Frankie
Only thing I will be pretty much nackered just from cutting down a few saplings with a stone axe.

I couldnt imagine using a stone axe! About 10 years ago I got the idea to build a small cabin using NO power tools. I cut down about 20 trees with a 2 bit axe & had enough of that! Out came the chainsaw!! You use what you have but if you can make your life/job easier you are a fool not to.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 11:11:07 PM »
I can't believe I sat and watched the entire "tiled roof" video. But I am glad I watched this real-life Minecraft crafting a home out of natural materials and nature. Glad because if I were to be marooned on a deserted island then I can build my own hut/tiled roof. I think I can survive in the wild now. Only thing I will be pretty much nackered just from cutting down a few saplings with a stone axe.

When the zombie apocalypse comes you will be ready  8)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Tags:

TerraSim Demonstrates New Technology at SimTecT 2015

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 2668
    Last post September 03, 2015, 05:21:57 PM
    by Asid
    Military Training Technology's 2015 Top Simulation & Training Companies

Started by Asid

Views: 2284
    Last post December 17, 2015, 07:06:16 PM
    by Asid
    Marine South Expo features latest in technology & equipment for training

Started by Asid

Views: 2311
    Last post April 12, 2016, 04:35:58 PM
    by Asid
    Hybrid electric drives are coming to tank technology as well!

Started by Lumituisku

Replies: 2
    Views: 4342
    Last post February 27, 2015, 03:15:34 PM
    by Lumituisku
    LpTrailer - DXR Technology Demo

Started by Asid

Views: 2607
    Last post May 28, 2019, 11:12:49 AM
    by Asid