Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Where you from son?  (Read 15847 times)

Offline Longknife

Where you from son?
« on: August 30, 2016, 01:15:27 PM »
"Where ya from son?"
As a young soldier I heard this line many times. It was a favorite question of flag officers when they were doing inspections. At the time I would nervously answer not realizing that they were just going through the motions at not even looking at the weapon they appeared to be inspecting. I always wondered "why does he even care where I am from?". Now with fewer years in front of me than I have behind me I find myself wanting to ask the very same question.

One of the aspects I really like about this community is the multi national aspect of it. Each time I go to the forum I check the revolver map to see who is on & where they are from. I am well traveled & find it immensly interesting to hear where people are from.

I know everyone is afraid to release personal info via the net so im not looking for any detail, just say a major city near you.

Here's a chance for you lurkers to increase your post count  8)

I live in very rural part of Northern Kentucky USA but work in Cincinnati OH.

So... Where ya from son?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• HAVOC
  • From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
Re: Where you from son?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 02:30:43 PM »
Hi LongKnife. I live in the heart of Petaling Jaya, which is the oldest and largest city next to the capital, Kuala Lumpur. Peninsular Malaysia where the first thing that greets you as you get off the airplane in the airport is the hot blast of humid tropical air. Sometimes I do wish I were living in a more temperate climate and close to nature. With foxes, wolves and wildlife as my neighbors. Where the air is fresher, and far from the maddening crowd. Far, far away from bumper to bumper rush hour traffic. Fly fishing and mountain climbing. That kind of thing. Be a Mountain Man for a weekend. I can dream can't I?

Here's what my area looks like.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:21:12 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 07:05:43 PM »
Near Edinburgh, Scotland :)

Beautiful country...Always raining...Well nearly always ;D

"post count"? what's that?  ::)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 09:08:45 PM »

I'm from Finland, quite center of it. Small town between Seinäjoki and Jyväskylä. Its called Karstula. In Russian Carstola  About 200-400 years ago it was battle theater of many fights between swedes and Russians, multiple times. Wars such. "Pikku viha" "Iso viha" and "Suomen sota" and on the last one Russians won the fight in final decisive battle called "Battle of Carstola", and painting of it decorates winter palace even today and as result three places in Russia were named as Carstola. As result though...  Finland became autonomous part of Russia for few hundreds of years.

In Karstula I live in a small village named Kiminki. Its middle of forest. Just few weeks ago there was bear roaming 500 meters from my house. And on many winters there has been a huge male bears winter nest just couple kilometers away.

:) 
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pain is the nature of life. it is the recognition that I'm nothing more. - Mark Rowland's

Offline Connaugh

• Member.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 09:58:43 PM »
I live in Birmingham, Alabama. The Heart of Dixie. The city was named after the steel making city of Birmingham, England, because it became a major steel producer, earning the nickname "Pittsburgh of the South. This is the only place in the world where the three main ingredients of steel are found in abundance- iron ore, coal, and limestone.  No more steel production now and of course no more pollution. The University of Alabama at Birmingham Medical Center is considered among the best in the world for medical care.

Conn

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Beef

• Bellum Simulatis
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 02:21:23 AM »
Phoenix, Arizona

It's HOT here.

Really HOT.

In fact, Asid would melt (so would Lumi for that matter) and Frankie would shrivel up like a raisin.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• HAVOC
  • From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 08:22:09 AM »
I bet it's freezing cold at night.

Holy Molly! I've done a comparison of the weather between Phoenix and Kuala Lumpur. Most days of the week for the former (Ph , AZ) are above 100 degrees fahrenheit, and around 90 degrees Fahrenheit for the latter (KL, Mal). I would shrivel up like a raisin, is right.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Maricopahealth/status/744581519054770176/photo/2

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 08:31:36 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 09:41:46 AM »
Well sometimes it´s really hard to say where your from when you have been traveling half of your life  ;D

Sometimes it´s even hard to remember!

Iam originaly from the city of Barcelona, Spain.  At least that´s where I was born. But...

Acording to my parents I learned how to walk in Montreal, Canada, we where only there some months.  Then we moved back to Barcelona to move back to Motreal when I was about 5-6 years old.  This was around the 70´s.  Five years later my father decided it was to cold to live in Montreal.  I still remember my father wakeking up early in the morning to remove all the snow over his car and pulling a electrical line from our house to his car outside to start up the battery on his car!  I was young and had alot of fun in the snow and playing hockey in the back line of our house with Italians, Greeks and others of my neighberhood.  I have very nice memories of Montreal.  Since my father was a very good cook we were able to move to the US at that time since there wasent that many cooks around, strangely but true.  Others like lawyers or doctors were not given a resident permit in the US as the US considerd they all ready had plenty of lawyers and doctors at the time, so this was interseting. He learned his trade when he was young in the UK and France.

So we moved to the US to one of the hottes places in the US, Florida.  The guy was smart LOL!  There we lived in Bradenton Beach, Key West, Palm Beach, Miami, Lantana, Fort Laurderdale.  When I was 18 me and my sister moved back to Spain, it was around the Gulf War era and things where a bit shakey in the US then.  Once in Spain I did my military service here but also lived in Touluse, France for some time.  After the years I sort of got tierd of moving around so much and settled down in towns around Gerona, Spain and its coast (Cosat Brava).  I guess some people just like the peace of small towns, and I myself love nature!

I can´t say Iam proud of living in Spain now as the politics of this country have ruined all the good things around here, without saying there a bunch of crooks!  But anyway that´s a different story.  Now one is a bit to old to start a new life somewhere else or just tierd of starting over and over again.

As my father used to say, "Your country is the one who gives you food and a decent life", so be proud of the place that gives you these things no matter where it is!

Privacy? Whats that now day´s  ;D

Me and a friend flying over my ex-town (Arbucies) in a C-172 with a Garmin 1000.

Care,

Red
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 12:01:06 PM by Red2112 »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Don_prince

• Member.
  • A J
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 09:58:11 AM »
I was born in the south of the Netherlands, near Eindhoven. I lived there my first 7 happy years. Then my parrents got other work and we moved to the middle close to Rotterdam. It is realy surprising how different the people are. It was very weird for me who was used to say hello to everyone you meet on the street and if you feel for a chat just start with someone and usualy within 5 minutes you are inside with the person drinking a cup of black gold. The area around Rotterdam? Not so much... If you say hello to a stranger he will look at you like you just said chlamydia or worse, scream f# off.

The climate: We have a little bit of snow in the winter and 28c average in the summer. Humidity is horrible so it feels like 56c.

The upside from the move was the environment. I moved from a suburban area into this:

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline wilso845

• HAVOC
  • ArmA
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 11:01:39 AM »
Im from my Mother who who is Irish (Northern to be exact)

I was born and raised in Falkirk and lived in a tiny mining village called Slamannan.
At 13 i moved to wigan after my dad remarried.
At 16 i signed up and joined the British Army where i spent the next 14yrs of my life based in Germany.
Been to Iraq, Afghan, Canada, Bosnia, Oman, Kuwait, Poland, Kosovo, Norway and Qatar.

After leaving the service i moved back to Falkirk.

Asid saying he is close to Edinburgh, isnt true he just wishes he was. As he lives in the area that is out of bounds to normal Scotts  #walkingdead_zombie
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 11:03:24 AM by wilso845 »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 11:55:58 AM »
I feel your pain Don_Prince  8)

Lived in a small town for the past 20 years now, just recently moved to a rather bigger town that still holds that small town feeling but a bit more open-minded.  Was used to knowing everybody in town and yeah hello here and there.

But there is a downfall to that, at least in the town I lived in.  If you farted, in 5 minutes the whole town knew you farted  ;D ;D ;D

Sorry had to say that cuz it´s true in most small towns!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Don_prince

• Member.
  • A J
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 02:02:08 PM »
Yeah, the lesson from this: Dont "fart" in public, If you know what I mean... (wink wink)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lusik

• HAVOC
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 11:16:22 PM »
Now it's my turn. :) I live in Warsaw, Poland but I was born in Bilgoraj, which is a town in the south-eastern part of the country.  I went to Warsaw to study at the University and stayed.  It's a nice city and I have plenty of good friends here but I feel good anywhere I go.  I like travelling, sports and several other activities but my primary love is aviation. I fly in Warsaw Flying Club whenever I can and have time for it. :).

We have hot summers and used to have cold winters but nowadays we barely get any show and it is more like 0 - 5 degrees Celsius for the most part of the winter.  Since pictures are worth more than a thousand words, here come the pictures (and one video). :)

Warsaw

Masurian lakes district

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 11:29:36 PM »
Great pictures Lusik especially this one

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline zap

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 09:31:08 AM »
Born in a suburb of Chicago. A lower middle class Polish community. After, social changes of the 70's 80's it was no longer a safe place to live. Polish people moved out and our family were a part of that exodus.
Did a period of time in Italy. Returning to the US. I established a home (In a small town) in the mountains just north of Los Angeles. Still have that home. Its a beautiful National Forest. But I needed a change (getting older) having need of close doctor offices. In the mountains it was a 45 minute drive to a major city. The solution was to move to Las Vegas. The wife and I were taking yearly vacations there before the move. I loved it there so it was the logical move to make.

Its hot but dry heat I can live with.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 11:24:14 AM by zap »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

youtube - British Army - Exercise VENERABLE GAUNTLET

Started by Lumituisku

Replies: 1