Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: D.O.W. Saturday Mission 25/06/16 - BATTLE FOR THE MOUNTAINS  (Read 3260 times)

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
D.O.W. Saturday Mission 25/06/16 @ GMT19:00

BATTLE FOR THE MOUNTAINS by Connaugh 

This scenario is a simulation and does not have any political message.

Map

Excerpts of the battalion commander's (HAVOC 6) orders for...BLUEFOR (D.O.W.)

SITUATION:
Argentina has invaded and occupied the Falkland Islands.

MISSION:
Great Britain has landed two brigades (3rd Commando and 5th Brigade) to take back the Falklands. The Argentines have fortified the mountains around Port Stanley with tanks and infantry.

EXECUTION:
Two Brigades will advance to Port Stanley and liberate the town. Each platoon will have two Challenger tanks and one Warrior.

Units available:
3rd Commando Brigade:
40 Royal Marines
42 Royal Marines
45 Royal Marines
2 Para
3 Para

5th Brigade:
2 Scots Guards
1 Welsh Guards
1/7 Gurkhas

Each Brigade will have one section of the Blues & Royals (Scimitar) for Recon
Each Brigade will have a CSS platoon of Repair, Medical, and Supply

Three batteries of artillery (18 tubes) will be on call.

Argentine forces include Leopard 2A5, AS1, CV90, and infantry with anti-tank weapons.

Each Brigade Commander will determine his order of march.

120 minute Time Limit

Points scored for clearing the mountains and occupying Port Stanley

** Notes **
SB Version: 3.028 64bit
Mission Name:  BATTLE FOR THE MOUNTAINS
Created by: Connaugh
Modified by:
Multi-Crew: Yes
Single Crew: Yes
Largest command:
Smallest command:Crew Position
Mission Duration: 120 minutes
Minimum number players:
Date: Saturday Mission 25/06/16
Time: 19:00 GMT
Time (local): Click here
Teamspeak  IP: dow.ts.nfoservers.com or 104.153.105.2:35200 wait in lobby for access to other areas.
Room: Dogs of War

Player Skill/Ability:
•   Completion of at least 1 full tutorial of Leo2A5 or M1A2Sep, preferred also M2A2 and or CV-90.
•   Working knowledge of Comms procedure.

You can just listen if you wish by using Teamspeak. You do NOT need Steel Beasts.
Required:
Teamspeak Download: Click Here

Teamspeak  IP: dow.ts.nfoservers.com or 104.153.105.2:35200 wait in lobby for access to other areas.

DOW members, by invite, or request in advance prior to mission.

Our goal is to have the DOW session more immersive and realistic.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 09:31:48 PM by Admin »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pain is the nature of life. it is the recognition that I'm nothing more. - Mark Rowland's

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: D.O.W. Saturday Mission 25/06/16 - BATTLE FOR THE MOUNTAINS
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 06:08:46 PM »
Looking really good.

You can bet there will be an immersive brief/backstory in Con's articulate style.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 11:11:49 PM »
Was a very good mission.

Thank you Con
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 12:51:35 AM »
Glad to hear that mission was good. I'm sorry that I wasn't able to make it in time. My absence wasn't planned. After trip to museum my friend took me to dinner, and then to show his house that he had recently bought and is now repairing. And he spontaneously asked me to teach him how to drive mini excavator. I wasn't able to resist. I like machines even small ones. Driving it was great fun. And in the end I ended up digging a such all around his house. That's why I wasn't able to make it. I really wanted to make it to Conn's mission as I suspect it was British forces of scimitars and warriors? I really like those units. Also against cv90s makes mission very interesting.

:)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pain is the nature of life. it is the recognition that I'm nothing more. - Mark Rowland's

Offline Connaugh

• Member.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 01:47:06 PM »
Thanks to everyone that played my mission. Hope that everyone enjoyed it.
I was inspired to create it from The Falklands War in 1982 when Great Britain assembled a task force to take back the Falkland Islands from the Argentines.
My source was:

Excellent account of the invasion with stirring accounts of the battles, both sea and land, by Max Hastings, a war correspondent, who accompanied the task force.

A photograph of Hastings after he entered Port Stanley. (I think he walked into the town ahead of the British troops alone after the "Battle(s) for the Mountains" were over, trying to appear as a civilian as Argentine soldiers were looking on, not realizing that his face was still blackened with camouflage cream.)

Of course, the real battle did not involve armor like I had in the scenario (only one troop of the Blues and Royals, 4 Scimitars and 4 Scorpions were used) but since infantry battles are not easy to implement in Steel Beasts, I made the force one of Challenger tanks and Warriors, along with the obligatory Blues and Royals Scimitars. I made each platoon one of two Challengers and one Warrior so it would not be too involved for the participants. Each player could manipulate two tanks and have the Warrior follow and provide fire support on infantry positions. The best map I could find to represent the mountains around Port Stanley was the Dartmoor map which made it difficult for the heavy Challengers to climb and was very time consuming, hence, the 120 minute time limit expired just as we got to Port Stanley. Another 20 minutes and Port Stanley would have been captured. However, we did clear the mountains and made it to Port Stanley, so, I consider the mission a success. Colebrook accounted for his usual tally against the enemy, proving that he can use a tank other than a Leo. Even RedWarDancer, an infantryman at heart, did well with the tanks, achieving the second highest number of kills. And Cougar utilized artillery in his exemplary manner, accounting for many scores. I had said after the mission, that I put minefields in the south to discourage an "end-around" but Cupcake managed to make his way through without incident. (Is it because the Scimitar is small, less width?). I had said that he triggered two platoons of tanks to spawn by entering a zone I created in that area but I see from the AAR that the tanks spawned well before and only after units in Port Stanley were fired on. I forgot about the 5k range of the Challenger. I know I was firing on Port Stanley from Mt. Tumbledown. There was one tank platoon that was supposed to spawn when that zone in the south was entered but it did not happen. Not sure why.

Conn

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 04:29:36 PM »
Con. You did a lot of research and effort for this mission. It is greatly appreciated.

In the words of Oliver. “Please, sir, I want some more.”

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

D.O.W. Steel Beasts Sunday Mission 06/09/20 @ GMT18:00

Started by Rinix