Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: CO Dead? XO takes over.  (Read 5173 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
CO Dead? XO takes over.
« on: November 22, 2015, 04:12:10 PM »
CO dead?

In a fully immersive mission, DOW Saturday, If the CO dies then command should fall to the XO. What happens to the CO? He relinquishes command and becomes a standard player (subordinate). If the XO is not prepared then the mission is compromised.

This would aid immersion and realism. I do not think the CO should lead the charge. He should sit back a little and orchestrate.

What do you think?

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
Re: CO Dead? XO takes over.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 04:17:27 PM »

I agree. This would be really cool!

I would as well like if the tank has Radio damage, they would not be able to talk in Radio.

Also if unit dies...  they should not report that enemy in this and this location doing this and this.     

All this would make it so much more immersive. - And that is what Id truly want to experience.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pain is the nature of life. it is the recognition that I'm nothing more. - Mark Rowland's

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 04:37:18 PM »
Immersion for Saturday DOW missions

•   CO dead replaced by XO
•   Radio dead = Silence
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 04:53:47 PM »

50 rupiiis to everyone who will contribute to this topic!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pain is the nature of life. it is the recognition that I'm nothing more. - Mark Rowland's

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 05:05:19 PM »
I have been thinking that in missions were person has only one unit. For sake of realism...  F8 should not be used.

Also...  in case of fire or troops attacking you with machine gun fire. Commanders should unbottom and use vision blocks or peri, instead.

In case of artillery strike, gunners to close GPS shield hatches.

As for specialties...

In case of NBC attack / conditions.  No opening hatches, no F8... and in other game than steelbeast... no dismounting / mounting troops.  (mounting troops inside would simulate real life when those are carried on decks of pcs / tanks. Cause vehicles cannot open doors because NBC conditions in real life...   but in SB we cannot carry troops on decks - So thats why mounting dismounting should be possible I think.) 

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 05:08:32 PM by Lumituisku »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lusik

• HAVOC
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 05:45:15 PM »
I like both ideas. The first may have a greater impact on entire mission so we should be more careful with implementation. What about situations when CO's tank falls into water due to broken AI routing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 08:33:36 PM »
What about situations when CO's tank falls into water due to broken AI routing?
The player would not be penalised
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colebrook

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 08:40:05 PM »
In almost all the missions co control de co tank and also de xo,so not much difference.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 08:50:14 PM »
In almost all the missions co control de co tank and also de xo,so not much difference.
Thats why we should try a change.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Durham

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 05:43:52 AM »
Lumi

I think that you are hitting SB limitations.  While I think that for a single player mission you can disable F8 view, unlike in DCS or Arma, I do not believe that this is an SB server option.

As to knocking out the CO, we can do that on our own, as long as we know who is is and where he is and when he is knocked out.

I could think about adding that to my radio mod which would just involve muting dead CO to all allied players, but we would still need honesty from the SB world, as unlike DCS and Arma, we can access no variables from the game.

I think we should spend our time writing immersive 1 vehicle / 1 player missions.

D
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 05:04:09 PM »

Its not the game, but about the houserule / recommendation.

Playing only from inside tank, makes it a lot more immersive, and it is possible. - What I mean, is that in Saturday mission we would act and be as if we would be in real vehicles. SB is best for procedural training. If there is Commander and gunner, it is likely that following environment and what is happening will get noticed. Such as if tank from platoon is not following orders, or starts smoking, gets damaged.

What I'm asking is not easy victories against enemy by knowing always what happens, when someone is knocked down, where the mysterious tank striked, or having a turret fairly telling to you where enemy is when you're under pressure... but feeling of an immersion that it would be real, with all the trouble and stress.

In case of trouble caused by game glitch or so. F8, using radio or so... would be allowed of course.

Also we need to understand not to make things impossible or to give penalty.. if there is minor bumb with tree or vehicle that kills commander .. or something that is game feature. - A common sense is very helpful to decide when to follow and when not to follow, "guidelines" houserules or how ever we those would call.

these things would work best if there is just 1 vehicle per player.. or more than 1 player per vehicle.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 05:32:28 PM »
I think that you are hitting SB limitations.  While I think that for a single player mission you can disable F8 view, unlike in DCS or Arma, I do not believe that this is an SB server option.
Steel Beasts will not allow removal of the F8 view in multiplayer. It is allowed in single player. Esim can't/won't change that. Very disappointing in my opinion.

As to knocking out the CO, we can do that on our own, as long as we know who is is and where he is and when he is knocked out.
The way we would implement it is if CO is killed then he must take a different role and the XO takes charge. This is simple to implement.

I think we should spend our time writing immersive 1 vehicle / 1 player missions.
I believe that this is the only realistic way forward with Steel Beasts. Otherwise you will always be fighting the engine and bugs instead of the OPFOR.

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Cougar11

• HAVOC
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 02:45:02 AM »
I like the CO dead or player dead no radio and change of command. Co to XO, Platoon leader to Platoon sergeant or other player in unit according to succession in command. With the radio though, any platoon leader or platoon sergeant can talk to the CO and platoon, the CO and XO can always talk to the company so that should not be a problem if one dies. Radio damage though would have to rely on succession within the unit to have the next unit to communicate with higher till radio is repaired. This is doable, but I think would require on paper house rules, explanation of how it works, and for all to play by the rules, or at least try till it is second nature in DOW missions.

This would be more feasible in  smaller missions where people at most have a section of vehicles, and some people with more like the CO etc would have to role play at times.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 10:04:57 PM »
Immersion for Saturday DOW missions

•   CO dead replaced by XO