Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Sennheiser HD6xx massdrop CHEAP  (Read 5819 times)

Offline Don_prince

• Member.
  • A J
Sennheiser HD6xx massdrop CHEAP
« on: November 09, 2016, 11:29:29 AM »
Sennheiser HD6xx massdrop CHEAP

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_147869080684014&key=04fea777994d26cd84e01a5e54f4c01d&libId=ivauab0z01000k6o000DA875v8tdb&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.head-fi.org%2Ft%2F824703%2Fsennheiser-x-massdrop-hd6xx-review-preview-head-fi-tv&v=1&out=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.massdrop.com%2Fbuy%2Fmassdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.head-fi.org%2Ft%2F824703%2Fsennheiser-x-massdrop-hd6xx-review-preview-head-fi-tv%2F870&title=Sennheiser%20x%20Massdrop%20HD6XX%20Review%20%2F%20Preview%20-%20Head-Fi%20TV&txt=clicking%20here

From head-fi: http://www.head-fi.org/t/824703/sennheiser-x-massdrop-hd6xx-review-preview-head-fi-tv

Today, Massdrop is announcing the Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX, which is essentially the Sennheiser HD650 with minor physical differences and a different cable. We've confirmed it's the same headphone (confirmed with listening and measurements, which you'll see in the video), only now it's a lot more affordable.

The Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX lowers the price of entry into world-class headphones, starting today.

The "drop" page goes live at 10:00 a.m. PDT on Massdrop.com, and you can go there by clicking here, where you can request to be notified when drop is live. The Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones will be available for $199.99 with free domestic shipping starting November 8th at 6:00AM PT.

Here are frequency response and THD measurements we made of both the Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX and the Sennheiser HD650:

NOTE: The measurements above reflect diffuse field correction.

They do sound the same, and those measurements certainly support that.

Audio measurements were made using:
Audio Precision APx555 audio analyzer
G.R.A.S. 45BB-12 KEMAR with anthropometric pinnae and low-noise ear simulators
Rupert Neve Designs RNHP headphone amplifier
Herzan acoustic enclosure (custom)

There's really not much to say this time around. It's just so obvious. But I'll throw in a few words anyway just so my post isn't purely pictures.

Massdrop has carved out a niche in releasing their own versions of iconic headphones, with some unique properties and spectacular prices. First came the AKG K7XX - a ninja-black take on the K702 65th Anniversary Edition which had an MSRP of $499 just a few years back. Then came the Fostex TH-X00, a customized version of the classic Denon/Fostex woodies we all know and love. Denon's D5000 used to sell for $699 and the Fostex TH-900 was $1299 before they discontinued both models. The Massdrop version, not identical to either but certainly competitive with both, sold for $399 (and later $449 with an arguably fancier wood).

You sense the theme here? Excellent headphones with some custom touches selling for prices far lower than expected - in some cases even lower than used prices on the original models themselves. There's also been a specialized CIEM collaboration with the Custom Art brand, an early exclusive with the AKG K553 Pro, and a specially commissioned DAC/amp called the Grace Design m9XX. Clearly Massdrop "gets it" on a level very few others do, to the benefit of the entire headphone community.

Well, Massdrop is at it again, this time with the iconic Sennheiser HD650. One of the most loved and commonly owned "high-end" headphones ever, the HD650 needs no introduction. I used quotes for "high-end" since there are now so many more expensive models available that we sometimes forget how long the HD600 and HD650 were on top of the food chain. For several decades, if you wanted a high-end headphone without spending crazy-money on something like a Sony R10 or Audio Technica L3000.... your main choice was the HD600/HD650 duo, followed by the AKG K701, beyerdynamic DT880/990, Grado RS-1, and on down the line. But in my mind the Sennheiser duo was the first and most obvious path that most people followed.

It's also interesting that the Sennheisers have experienced something of a resurgence lately. Lots of headphone enthusiasts I know, fed up with the latest and greatest models with their huge price tags, have gone back to using HD600 or HD650 as their primary headphone. HD800 and HD800S may be the "better" headphones in some respects but a lot of folks still enjoy the 6-series more when it comes to real-world listening. And I totally get it - the 6-series does so much right, and perhaps more importantly, so little wrong, that it still makes for an easy recommendation after all these years.

That recommendation is about to get easier thanks to the new Massdrop Sennheiser HD6XX. They start with an HD650 - made in Ireland just like the regular version - add a sweet new stealth paint scheme, a redone cable, and some other minor aesthetic touches, and price the whole thing for just $199. Yes, $199. That's an insane value right there! I've (happily) paid more for used HD650 examples on more than one occasion. To put that in perspective, the original HD650 MSRP is still $499, with street prices at most places being $399, and deals coming around here and there for the low-$300 range. So $199 for this unique version is an absolute steal in my book.

The HD6XX paint scheme is called Pantone Black 6 XGC, but it's actually more like a very deep midnight blue. It seems nearly indistinguishable from black until you look in the proper lighting. The HD650 logos on the sides, normally silver with darker gray lettering, are now black with silver text. The "Sennheiser" text across the top of the headband is black instead of white, making it very subtle in contrast to the midnight blue. There's a Massdrop logo on the inside of the headband above the right cup, and on the other side will be the serial number. This initial batch is limited to 5,000 units, so don't miss out. I imagine there will be more down the road but it will be a while. The first 500 orders placed will be guaranteed a serial in the sub-550 range, in case that matters to you. Not sure if it becomes randomized after that or not.

The redone cable is pretty much the same cable as before but chopped into a shorter, more manageable length, and terminated with a 1/8" plug. These aspects make it more useful in day to day listening as far as I'm concerned, and you can always add the (included) adapter for 1/4" use if needed. Or grab a cable extension for across-the-room listening if that ends up being something you do. Massdrop says there will be an option for a balanced ZY branded cable at additional cost when checking out. I don't have the price available but that could be useful if it ends up being a good deal. Or, visit any one of the many companies out there who make HD650 cables. Moon Audio, Toxic Cables, Effect Audio, Signal Cable, Cardas, Norse, C3, WyWires, ... the list is massive. I've been hearing a lot about Impact Audio and their very affordable cables lately so that's something to look into as long as we're talking about great value. But, as stock cables go, this one is not stiff or annoying like some others, so most people will be fine with it.

And that pretty much covers it - a nicely customized HD650 with an extremely welcome price. What more could we ask for? The parts are all replaceable and interchangeable with HD650/HD600 parts, so this is an investment which should last a lifetime of heavy use. Sennheis(er even covers it with a 2 years warranty which I assume applies to the original buyer. As usual for Massdrop, orders are placed now, with payment collected after the drop ends. Headphones should ship by 12/15 which means domestic customers will have their in time for Christmas. International shipping might make it depending on where the package is headed.

And now, some eye candy. Keep in mind how well the HD650 scales with better sources and amplification - I'm using sources from Aurender, Matrix, and SOtM, and DACs from Esoteric, Resonessence Labs, and B.M.C., along with a wide variety of amplification from Pass Labs, Cayin, Simaudio, Violectric, and others. The HD6XX isn't terribly picky in the same way as the K7XX, but at the same time it will massively reward you as the chain improves. I like it quite a bit off the Acoustic Research M2 but even the little Pono and iBasso DX90 do a pretty decent job. This is definitely a headphone that will grow with you as your system improves over time. Well done Massdrop!

(...)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Don_prince

• Member.
  • A J
Re: Sennheiser HD6xx massdrop CHEAP
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 11:33:49 AM »
As said the HD6xx is a cheaper HD650 which is the headphone I use dayly. This headphone is prised for its most "true" appearance of sound for its budget, meaning pretty close in displaying the soundcurve it gets from its source.

I love it and its even awsome with gaming. You need a pretty expensive audio setup (speakers or headphones) to counter the quality of this headphone. $200 for these? Thats a steal, if you have it left and want to get an earmassage? Get them when and while you can.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 12:36:38 PM »
Nice DAC to go with it  ;)

The XDuoo XD05 is cool too, here´s a shoot-out...

Thanks for the heads up Don!

Hope you feel better today!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 12:41:57 PM by Red2112 »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Don_prince

• Member.
  • A J
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 01:17:46 PM »
Little bit, I can breathe again a bit, still mayor chest pain but I can type and talk a bit so thats an improvement...

The awsome sound of the HD650 is helping me trough (wink wink) I am using an objective 2 as amp. still most of the times I am using it straight in the jack. Less cable mess and the sound is still good, only a lack of base and its less sprankly, but still with the best headphones without amp.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 01:21:02 PM by Don_prince »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Red2112

• Life Support
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 05:00:00 PM »
Little bit, I can breathe again a bit, still mayor chest pain but I can type and talk a bit so thats an improvement...

The awsome sound of the HD650 is helping me trough (wink wink) I am using an objective 2 as amp. still most of the times I am using it straight in the jack. Less cable mess and the sound is still good, only a lack of base and its less sprankly, but still with the best headphones without amp.

Glad to see your feeling a bit better but you should see a doctor!  We sometimes make the mistake of NOT doing what we should when we should! Then things get worst!

The HD650 dose seem to get good reviews.  But I do need some new speakers too. I have a pair of Infinity that one of the cone´s is worn out by the heat (the rubber foam around the outter cone), but since Iam living in a condo now I would not be able to pump any music out of any speakers to a level that I would like either so the idea of a good set of headphones (HiFi) is atractive.  Then there´s the idea of portability too, I have always been the type that likes to carry music on with me, still have a Sony "walkman" somewhere and a portable mini-disc too! So all this new trend of portable DAC amps is also tempting. Would need to find some decent earpluggs to go with a portable DAC on the street as well. Or these HD6XX or HD598.

Most likely I will be getting a AKG C1000s MKIV for recording acustic guitar next month so can´t have everything!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 05:01:48 PM by Red2112 »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Don_prince

• Member.
  • A J
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 09:14:31 PM »
Grrr, my cable on the left connector to the headphone has broken. It only works when I tilt my head to the right... And because I am a cheap ass ofcource I have ordered my new cable from china so I Have to deal with it till next month...

No way of fixing this with the soldering iron as the tear is on the tention releaser of the connector itself....
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags: