Translations for our friends around the world.

Click on banner for Theater of Operations website

Save

Author Topic: Exclusive preview of Combat Operations  (Read 6185 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Exclusive preview of Combat Operations
« on: September 02, 2015, 05:08:59 PM »
Introducing "Combat Operations", a New Highly Realistic Operational Level War Game from an Indie Developer

This exclusive preview of Combat Operations is written by Matt, an indie game designer with whom I had the pleasure to chat and exchange ideas during the development of his new game.

"The Germans are hitting the 506th hard. Move your Regiment (502nd) into better defensive positions to help slow down the German advance. We are expecting armored reinforcements to arrive soon...we MUST buy time to keep them from retaking Carentan!"

Read full artilcle here:
http://kriegsimulation.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/introducing-combat-operations-new_24.html

Published: Monday, August 24, 2015
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Profevil

Re: Exclusive preview of Combat Operations
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 07:38:45 PM »
Looks cool! it is a bit like Kriegsspiel, a game conducted on a map developed as a trainingtool for the General Staff in whats now Germany. There to you have 3 sides, (well even more is possible) Blue/Red/Judge. The judge resolves the battles and has to his aid tables with marching speed, effect of fire, artillery etc. Would be nice if support for something like that were to be introduced, so it could also be used as a trainingtool.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 09:15:03 PM »
Thanks profevil! Yes kriegspiel was considered perhaps the first true war game developed in Prussia, IIRC. I am hoping that this game can be used as a training tool like kriegspiel. I care a lot of fidelity in recreating the experience of being a commander.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Profevil

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 05:34:45 AM »
What tools are used for the different roles? And is it possible to use sub commnanders? I was thinking perhaps of one player being the Brigade commander, and then having 3-4 players as Battalion commanders etc (Or division and brigades etc).

The tools im thinking about are for the commanders perhaps terrain, combat rediness and 5 paragraph orders.

When i host Kriegsspiel sessions i try to keep it as close to the "real" thing as possible, so if were doing Operational level operations i often let the commanders on each side put togeather simple 5 paragraph orders (Easier if you play with mostly military personel), no long essays but just the simple stuff (Enemy, Own forces, disposition etc). I also make "room" for mission command, so i as the judge dont "force" the players to do what i want, but rather let them figure out the solution to the problem.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 04:55:44 PM »
Ha, you have touched on one the aspects of this game that I am most excited about! :)

Roles are basically setting "permissions" in software speak. E.g. the 1st Inf Div commander can't issue orders to units in the 2nd Inf Div. I don't want to overcommit my "wants" vs what can realistically be expected from the programmers, but I am wanting players to have the ability to be assigned multiple roles. For instance, someone may want to be a regimental commander in 2 different divisions, or be assigned as a regimental commander of 2 different regiments in the same division...without being the division commander. Just to be clear you can issue orders to all units in subordinate to your chain of command. E.g. if you are the div commander, you have permission to issue orders to any/all units assigned to your division. Players will be able to "see" what their subordinate units can, and will be able to see the dispositions of friendly forces. They will not be able to see details of friendly units outside their control.

So YES, this means that there can be sub-commanders. In fact if there is more than 1 player on a given side, there has to be a subordinate commander. This chain of command also allows people to "cover" for any sub-commanders that may be indisposed (or disappear) without hanging-up the game.

Furthermore I want it to be flexible. For instance, if you are a taking the role of a regimental commander and it gets rotated out of combat for awhile, you (the player) can be reassigned to take command of a different unit so you can stay engaged in the game.

Right now, the plan is for players to be assigned command roles of regiment and higher, though I am considering allowing down to battalion level...but again that depends on programming issues.

Players will be able to play this game like a command staff exercise if they want to attempt to replicate that, however many will not want to (or be capable of) playing in that fashion. It is for the players to decide... So we plan to have an in game "notes" area where players can capture thoughts as the game unfolds. We want to tie this is some fashion to a despatch system to allow written comm between players.

You have also given me an idea...we may be able to later include a "Judge" role that someone can monitor the game situation and interject different results when they want, to include monitoring in-game despatches with the ability to delay or garble the transmission. Just a thought...

Did I cover your questions?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Profevil

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 03:20:07 PM »
Yes you did, i think the game sounds like a good idé, and i probably something i would try with my groups.

I like the idé of intercepted transmissions, i used that in WW2 game were the players were acting as brigade and battalion commanders. Everytime the enemy (Germany) was at a certain range, i would let the german side "listen" to the orders between the closest battalions. This to simulate the qualified EW of the german army at that time. I also frequently let players "Slip out of sight" so they cant recive orders, if they are to far away to simulate problems with communications over a distance.

A problem i have found today, is that people that have no experience with communications, dont know that its not like in the movies or in a videogame, were the commander constantly have full controll of his units. They might "go missing" and end up in strange places etc.. Other commanders might misshear were and when etc.. All this is ofcourse hard to maybe implement in a computer simulation, but its something to think about.

Also another question: Will there be a naritative order structure, or something more like a 5 paragraph one? I have noticed that sometimes orders can cause  confusion... :-)

And again, LOVE the idéa! If i can assist with anything just send me a message!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline choppinlt

• T.O.O. Developer
    • Buckeye Battle Group
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 03:48:41 AM »
Narrative order structure...that will be for players to decide how they want to play. For those people who know and trust each other, they may want to play in a strict written order format. Otherwise, there is nothing stopping players from having detailed conversations with their team members on the phone, in person, teamspeak etc., so players may agree to have no restrictions. I believe most people will play with no restrictions.

In terms of 5 paragraph, again that will be player preference. If people want to play the scenario in that fashion they can. If someone wants to write a 3 page dissertation...then go for it...However it is my experience that the larger message, the more there is to interpret, confuse and get wrong. ;)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

New Combat Round

Started by choppinlt

Replies: 0
    Views: 4572
    Last post September 25, 2017, 08:09:34 PM