Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: SOW Waterloo Multiplayer Wednesday 05/05/2021  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Biondo

• Global Moderator
SOW Waterloo Multiplayer Wednesday 05/05/2021
« on: May 05, 2021, 03:50:53 PM »

SOW Waterloo Multiplayer Wednesday 05/05/2021 at 20:00 GMT

Immersive, friendly session.

Played with full fog of war.

**                    Notes                      **
SOW Version: Waterloo 1.03
Largest command: Corps
Smallest command: Brigade
Mission Duration: 120 minutes
Minimum number players: 2
Time (local): Click here
Teamspeak  IP: 104.153.105.2:35200  Please wait in lobby for access to other areas.
Room: Scourge Of War

Extra Notes:
•   TIME LIMIT: 01.30 a.m. GMT at the following day, if no different agreement has been made by the participiants.
•   The room will be open at 20:30 GMT for preparation & mission setup
•   House rules: Click here
•   HITS system
•   Courier orders
•   Bare map. Full F.O.W.
•   No voice during game (comms by courier only). It's possible to talk to nearby commander using TS whisper list or moving in a dedicated room

Mods required:
•   DOW Community Toolbar V8: This will be provided.
•   If an updated mod is required you will be sent a link via pm

Player Skill/Ability:
•   Must be proficient Using HITS
•   Have a good understanding of UI

Commanders and leaders:
Biondo
Asalex
Gandhi
Tadzio
Trane
Colbert
Samuelgim
Heldor
Jakmin
Sandman
Zubenko
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 04:47:02 PM by Biondo »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline asalex

Re: SOW Waterloo Multiplayer Wednesday 05/05/2021
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 04:42:31 PM »
 :Soldier_salute
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline General Sandman

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 05:50:33 PM »
enter sandman  :roker
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Who we were

“We were the ones who knew but did not understand, well informed but without insight, overloaded with factual data but poor in experience and wisdom. So we went, not stopped by ourselves."

Based on Roger Willemsen R.I.P.

Offline tadzio73

• In the rugged mountains
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 07:53:21 AM »

A very fun scenario although challenge for French players. Thanks Sandman  :Soldier_salute
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline asalex

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 01:40:25 PM »
I also enjoyed the scenario a lot, thank you Sandman for another great one. Although it was complicated to play as Prussian CiC, with Sandman I had no contact at any time, with Gandhi only at the beginning and at the end (when he had already disconnected) and with Tadzio I thought I had and most of the messages were intercepted by the French. I could only communicate normally with Trane.

Very complicated scenario for the French:

Completely surrounded, although there are large gaps between the 4 main Prussian forces (divisions), neither they nor we were fully aware of that.
The French knew the location of the objectives even though they did not appear in the game until after 40min, (90min for the Prussians) and their point value (2500) seemed to us all decisive at the beginning of the scenario. It also seems that they mistook one of them (Kalcennordheim) for the Kormesthein which was to the S of Gandhi's position.

We started badly, losing in points and with Gandhi very pressed in the SE (I think because of the error in the location of the objective), once again Gandhi had to fight one of those battles totally alone that he likes so little....  :shots

I moved quickly towards the hill occupied by Trane to locate the French, soon after I "sensed" that the French were beginning to move to concentrate to the E-SE and I asked Trane and Tadzio to prepare to attack their rear..... the French intercepted several of those messages and thought that their maneuver was compromised so they cancelled it.... I think that was the key, not only they did not concentrate but the shock division of the guard moved to the W, just between the jaws formed by the divisions of Trane and Tadzio.

As CiC I had little control of the situation, deployed a brigade of cavalry covering the SW gap, but I withdrew it in view of the fact that the French had in that valley a heavy cavalry division against which they could do little.
I stayed on that hill controlling the French Corps that was in the valley (attacking Gandhi) and although I made a couple of attempts to go south to establish communication with Gandhi both were aborted by enemy movements.

Trane conducted himself like a veteran, and together with Tadzio formed a shredder that ended up annihilating the French units in the area, including the guard. Sandman, as always intractable, did not give any chance to the French NE (Heldor), and although Biondo punished Gandhi hard, at the end he had little uncommitted strength to try to win the objective...

The last phase of the battle was another game, a mix of dance-race between Biondo's uncommitted forces against my two cavalry brigades to see who could reach the objective first.
Their last feint threw me off :dance and I thought it was going to be Gransee, so I moved the cavalry to block their access and asked Trane and Tadzio to send everything they could. The French took advantage of the situation to occupy Rothenburg.
But it was not enough, my cavalry blocked the arrival of the follow-on forces, so that the brigade that occupied the objective was isolated and without sufficient men (4000 were needed) to score.

As I commented a very difficult scenario for the French who have no margin for error, and that after the error in the NE objective and aborting the initial maneuver, I think they had already lost at 11:00.

Great tactical performance of the four Prussian divisions, which destroyed/blocked each of the French forces they faced, with a "La Garde recule" included  :clap3 although those points can be a bit misleading, I think most of the fleeing French units were intercepted by us so the battalions automatically surrendered.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline General Sandman

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 02:20:44 PM »
The scenario actually was made for 11 players, according the registrations.

Both, the french and the prussian CiC were not supposed to command a division, but rather being enabled to move across the field without having to monitor low-level-maneuvres and micromanaging formations.
To sort out the situation and to determine a promising plan, it was vital to be freed from any further commitment.

Unfortunatly, with 9 players "only", this appointment became obsolete and the CiC were to be in charge of sub-level-command too. Particulary for the french side, this circumstance was a notable drawback.

But still, we also have to see the problems for the prussian side:

1. Although having a superior force at their disposal, it wasnt possible by far to cover the complete front of 360 degrees.

2. The 2 medium corps hadnt got a communication line. So after the pre battle briefing, there was no common coordination between them.

3. The prussians obtained knowledge about the 2 objectives nearly an hour later than the french.

4. To be enabled to intercept bypassings and breakthroughs, it actully was vital to keep up strong reserves for a long time.

5. The coverage of large fronts would cause a lack of overview at parts of the own section.

6. The french had an elite Inf-division and a Cav-brigade at their disposal.

7. Due terrain also a part of prussian commanders couldnt get a bigger picture of the battlefield and noticable relocations.

Next, we might also discuss about how to play that kind of setup and what to better avoid -  if ever desired.
I see good chances, also for the french to succeed.
But still, it always depends on the concrete dispostitions of all commanders of each side, which could be of manifold manners. Its important to find the right answer quickly and to execute a plan matching up well to each other. Probably additionally making use of a nasty deception. As said before, to achieve good requirements, the CiC should be without low-level-command. Particulary the french CiC should be able to inspect as much of the frontline as possble.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Who we were

“We were the ones who knew but did not understand, well informed but without insight, overloaded with factual data but poor in experience and wisdom. So we went, not stopped by ourselves."

Based on Roger Willemsen R.I.P.

Tags:

SOW Gettysburg Multiplayer Saturday 31/10/20 at 21:00 GMT

Started by Biondo

Replies: 1
    Views: 1382
    Last post October 31, 2020, 04:01:41 PM
    by neilnilly
    SOW Waterloo MP AAR Seen from Div commander perspective army vs army

Started by ushiri

Replies: 2
    Views: 4548
    Last post December 19, 2016, 09:54:58 PM
    by ushiri
    ***June 16th 1815, 10:30 AM Battle of Ath*** Wednesday 26/01/2022 at 21:00 GMT

Started by Biondo

Replies: 2
    Views: 1237
    Last post January 26, 2022, 05:45:55 PM
    by Colbert
    How to restart / restore a multiplayer game.

Started by Asid

Replies: 4
    Views: 6354
    Last post January 10, 2019, 10:52:49 AM
    by General Sandman
    SOW Waterloo play today 28/11/16 + AAR

Started by Asid

Replies: 17
    Views: 10490
    Last post November 29, 2016, 12:41:09 PM
    by Mr. Digby