Translations for our friends around the world.

New URL: www.Schwerpunkt.Games

Click image to go to main site  www.Schwerpunkt.Games

Author Topic: WWII-Europe Campaign Scenario #102 Update  (Read 28256 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
WWII-Europe Campaign Scenario #102 Update
« on: April 25, 2021, 01:00:31 AM »
WWII-Europe Campaign Scenario #102 Update
24 April 2021

"Tonight I finished data entry on all units in #102.  There are 3399 units in the scenario.  I have a file on Designer Notes to share with the community now that describes the numbers for each country, how the #102 units were selected, how they enter the game, and other information on new rules to be coded.

I still need to develop the expected points and replacement points for #102 scenario.  I am working with Asid to make the files available to the community.

I want to thank the community for their patience.  Its been a long road, but I see how to get to "scenario complete" now."

Ron
Schwerpunkt

Files: here
Updated 01 May 2021

WWII-Europe Campaign Scenario #102
Design Notes

The scenario (called #102 in this file) consists of 318 turns, each one a week in duration.  #102 is a primarily a division level scenario, and involves a large number of units  (3339 units total).  In order to build the scenario, it was necessary to analyze the units available to each country in September 1939, and to put them into the battle file.  New created units are brought into the scenario at the historical turn in most cases.  Rebuilding of units is modeled by having mechanical and non-mechanical replacement points, which allows new units to be built or existing units to be reinforced, player’s choice.  This file describes the methods used for each country’s units in #102.

The scenario starts with the Axis player having the initiative.

Note that many of the new unit upgrades will be time dependent.

Allied Player units (Total 1999 units)
1.   Poland (110 units)
a.   The units available to Poland on September 1, 1939 are placed in their historical locations.   Polish units can be moved but cannot attack until the Axis captures a Polish city (new rule to be coded).

2.   Norway (46 units)
a.   The units available to Norway in April 1940 are placed in their historical locations on September 1, 1939, assuming that mobilization could occur if attacked earlier.  Norwegian units can be moved but cannot attack until the Axis captures a Norwegian city (new rule to be coded).

3.   Denmark (19 units)
a.   The units available to Denmark in April 1940 are placed in their historical locations on September 1, 1939 assuming that mobilization would have occurred if attacked earlier.  Danish units can be moved but cannot attack until the Axis captures a Danish city (new rule to be coded).

4.   France (205 units)
a.   The units available to France in May 1940 are placed in their historical locations on September 1, 1939, assuming that mobilization could occur if attacked earlier.  French units can be moved but cannot attack until the Axis captures a Polish or French city (new rule to be coded). It is assumed that France would declare war on the Axis if either one of those countries are invaded, modeled by a city being captured by the Axis.

5.   Belgium (37 units)
a.   The units available to Belgium in May 1940 are placed in their historical locations on September 1, 1939, assuming that mobilization could occur if attacked earlier.  Belgian units can be moved but cannot attack until the Axis captures a Belgium city (new rule to be coded).

6.   The Netherlands (36 units)
a.   The units available to The Netherlands in May 1940 are placed in their historical locations on September 1, 1939, assuming that mobilization could occur if attacked earlier.  The Netherlands units can be moved but cannot attack until the Axis captures a The Netherlands city (new rule to be coded).

7.   Yugoslavia (73 units)
a.   The units available to Yugoslavia in April 1941 are placed in their historical locations on September 1, 1939, assuming that mobilization could occur if attacked first.  Yugoslavian units can be moved but cannot attack until the Axis captures a Yugoslavian city (new rule to be coded).

8.   Greece (35 units)
a.   The units available to Greece in April 1941 are placed in their historical locations on September 1, 1939, assuming that mobilization could occur if attacked earlier.  Greek units can be moved but cannot attack until the Axis captures a Greek city (new rule to be coded). Note that Italy attacked Greece from Albania in October 1940, and Germany intervened in April 1941 to secure its flank in the impending attack on Russia.

9.   United Kingdom (UK) (326 units)
a.   The units available to the UK in May 1940 are placed in their historical locations on September 1, 1939, assuming that mobilization could occur if attacked earlier.  UK units can be moved but cannot attack until the Axis captures an Allied city (new rule to be coded). It is assumed that the United Kingdom would declare war on the Axis if any Allied city was captured.

10.   United States of America (USA) (195 units)
a.   The units available to the USA are brought in and placed in their historical locations on the same week they entered the war historically. This assumes an attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941.  USA units can be moved and attack upon entry.
b.   Most USA units enter in a port in England, or a port in North Africa.  If the entry location is still in Axis control, it defaults to their HQ location, or to a friendly controlled city using the standard existing entry rules in WWII-E.

11.   Russia (1131 units)
a.   The units available to Russia in September 1939 are placed in their historical locations and on the Axis side.   The Russian player can choose to be on the Axis or Allies side (new rule).  If attacked, then the Russian units available on June 22nd, 1941 are put on the map assuming full mobilization occurred (new rule). 
b.   New Russian units are brought in on their historical turn at Moscow, and can be placed at their HQ by a new move op (HQ Allocation Move).  This is a key part of this scenario, and will make or break you!
c.   Rebuilds are modeled as replacement points to be used at the player discretion.  The Russian player can build 4-2-5 Tank Divisions and 3-2-5 Tank Brigades units until 1942. Starting in 1943, the Russian player can build or upgrade existing to 4-3-7 Tank Brigades (T34) units and 5-4-7 Tank Brigades (T34/85).  Starting in 1943, the Russian player can build 4-4-6 Mechanized Brigades.  The Russian player can build 2-4-2 Rifle units at the start, and in 1943 can build or upgrade to 3-5-3 Rifle units.  The Russian player can build 3-3-6 Cavalry units throughout the war.  Building new non-historical divisions will be a new rule to be coded. Fighter and Bomber units can also be built new from mechanical replacement points.  The Russian player can upgrade any unit by one AF and one DF throughout the war, and is limited to 129 Rifle units and 50 Tank/Mech/Cavalry units.  This models the creation of Guards units from existing units, which augmented their Shtat (order of battle).

Axis Player units (Total 1340 units)

1.   Germany (936 ground units)
a.   The units available to Germany on September 1, 1939 are placed in their historical locations.   German units can be moved and can attack on turn 1.  New German units are brought in on their historical turn in Berlin and can be placed at their HQ by a new move op (HQ Allocation Move). This is a key part of this scenario, and will make or break you!
b.   Rebuilds are modeled as replacement points to be used at the player discretion.  The German player can build/upgrade panzer units to 14-10-8-4 starting in 1941 (new op), and can then build or upgrade existing panzer units (Panthers & Tigers) to 16-12-8-4 starting in 1943 (new op).  Ten upgrades are allowed each year.  The German player can build 10-10-3 infantry divisions at the start, and can build 10-10-3 or 5-7-3 (Volksgrenadier) divisions starting in 1943.  The German player can build 8-8-7 Motorized divisions at the start, and can build 8-8-7 or 12-10-7 Panzergrenadier divisions starting in 1943.  Building new non-historical divisions will be a new rule to be coded. Fighter and Bomber units can also be built new from mechanical replacement points.
c.   Units that are disbanded are taken care of via the game.  Player has options to disband and use the points to build new or augment existing.
d.   Longest time or critical time Commanders are shown for each unit.  Limited to 25 characters per unit.

2.   Italy (229 ground units)
a.   The units available to Italy on September 1, 1939 are placed in their historical locations. Most units come in on their historical mobilization turn.
b.   Combat units come in to Rome, and can be moved via new HQ Allocation Move to the HQ location of the player’s choice.
c.   Capture of Rome results in all Italian units being removed from the game which models surrender.

3.   Finland (50 units)
a.   Most HQ units and many combat units are on the map at the start in their historical locations.
b.   An additional set of units come in on turn 86 (April 1941) in preparation for Operation Barbarossa. 
c.   Capture of Helsinki results in all Finnish units being removed from the game which models surrender.

4.   Romania (68 units)
a.   Most HQ units come in on turn 64, two months after Antonescu comes into power in September 1940.
b.   Most combat units come in on turn 76 in Bucharest, and can be moved via new HQ Allocation Move to the HQ location of the player’s choice.
c.   Capture of Bucharest results in all Romanian units being removed from the game which models surrender.

5.   Hungary (34 units)
a.   HighCmd, Army and Corps units are in their initial locations at start of scenario.
b.   All combat units come in in Budapest, and can be moved via the new HQ Allocation Move to the HQ location of the player’s choice.
c.   Capture of Budapest results in all Hungarian units being removed from the game which models surrender.

6.   Bulgaria (23 units)
a.   HighCmd, Army and Corps units are in their initial locations on September 1, 1939 as if mobilization has occurred.
b.   All combat units come in in Sofiya on turn 80 (February 23, 1941) in prep for Barbarossa, and can be moved from there by the new HQ Allocation Move to the HQ location of the player’s choice.
c.   Capture of Sofiya results in all Bulgarian units being removed from the game which models surrender.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 12:09:40 AM by Asid »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt Games Developer
    • Schwerpunkt
Re: WWII-Europe Campaign Scenario #102 Update
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 03:01:57 AM »
Just a status update.  Tonight I finally completed the entire #102 data file and scen102.wwe files.  Now I am switching over to code changes.  Knowing Asid, expect those to be posted soon for download.
Will need to get my coding skill set back, as its been a while since I have written any software.  And I need to study my own documentation and code for how I have it laid WWE out!
Some time this weekend, I'll list the changes that I plan to make.  I will be starting with the rules that are necessary for scen102 to work.  First up is the new Allocate HQ Move op.

Thank you to the community for your patience,
Ron
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
Members reacted informative:
Asid,
Members reacted Thanks:
Asid,Mere Nick,

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 12:11:02 AM »
Updated files
01 May 2021

Files: here
Updated 01 May 2021

The link has been updated in the first post also.

Reards

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 02:55:18 AM »
Another status update.  I spent much of the weekend coding, getting back my skills at programming.  I made the following changes to the code:

1.  HQ Allocation Move (now called HQ RR Move) is now operational.  It costs 3 RR points per move.  It allows you to move a unit on a RR hex to a friendly, in supply, on map, on a RR hex, HQ unit in a single move.  Select hex, select unit, select HQ RR Move op, then select the HQ destination hex.  The game highlights the possible destination hexes to choose from just like it does other move ops.

2. Replaced the scroll lines on the edges with grey scroll arrow icons on all four sides. Prevents map from jumping when you get too close to the edge.  Much cleaner look and feel.  Note that zooming in and out is still the best method to navigate, with scrolling used to move a couple of hexes only.

3. Fixed Baku hex in the terrain array, and set city points.

4. Added Defense mode set and effect.  Hold Ground doubles your losses, but you do not retreat, Give Ground zeroes your losses, but you must be retreated.  Normal Defense is the same as always.

5. Modified the Top level map to show Capital Cities.  Just left click on the city, and the map zooms in with that city in the center.  It works for any hex on the top level map, but this gives you a visual  reference to choose from.

I plan to go over these changes and other fine points of the game when we have our first Teams meeting.  If you want to join us, just send me your email address.  I will send you a Team link, date and time soon.

Thanks for your support and participation,
Ron
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted Thanks:
Zovs,

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 03:41:50 AM »
I used bold font for AF-DF-MF and for the unit number per a suggestion made a while back to allow reading the units more easily (old eyes!!). 
Spent the rest of the evening making sure my list of suggestions made over the last few years was complete.  The OOB screen and reports are probably next on my list.

Ron
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
Asid,
Members reacted Thanks:
Zovs,Asid,

Offline pzgndr

• Empires in Arms Development Team
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 09:36:34 PM »
I plan to go over these changes and other fine points of the game when we have our first Teams meeting.  If you want to join us, just send me your email address.  I will send you a Team link, date and time soon.

Ron, you have my info. I'll try to participate unless I have a conflict.

You still have my change requests for 1) RR conversion rules for Russia and 2) HQ range limits for out-of-control unit penalties and dispatching reserves. Those are old RGW rules that we miss. Also, if you can plan to release the editor with the next update, that would be great; it's overdue.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline bipman

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 02:50:05 PM »
Thanks for this.  Is there a list of scenarios still to do?  I'm not sure if I've missed any others released in this way.

Bipman
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Mere Nick

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 04:45:37 PM »
I've noticed a couple of things.  At 209,159 and 151,170 there are Do17 air units that appear to not be completed.  They show in the command panel when I tell it show ground units there and can't do air missions. 

I had it run the first turn with the Axis run by AI.  The AI bombs the Russian units at 267,157.  Also during the first turn, the AI has some air and ground attacks on the western front.  I don't recall if that really happened back then or not. 

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Mere Nick

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 10:07:18 PM »
I just now noticed that the game starts with a British armored unit in 253,337 (Tobruk). 
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2021, 04:21:24 AM »
Hi Mere Nick,
Thank you for catching those errors.  I fixed the two Do17 bomber units, and also fixed the 32nd TBr in Tobruk.  That unit was suppose to come in on turn 88, not turn 1!
Very helpful to find these kinds of things.  Given there are over 3300 units in this Campaign Scenario, there are bound to be a few errors to fix!

I am continuing to code and make improvements to the game.  Where possible, I am trying to increase the font size or use bold fonts to make it easier to read for us "older eyes guys".
Ron
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted Thanks:
Zovs,

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2021, 04:27:06 AM »
Hi Bipman,

When selecting a scenario, the game lists all scenarios planned.  Running the mouse cursor over each will tell you if it has been done or not.  Having said that, all scenarios are done except for 1, 26, 33, 52, 57, 64, 72, 81, 88, 95, 98, 99, 100, 101 and 102.  So that means 87 of 102 planned scenarios are complete (85%).  #102 has been built, but I have some rules to code before I can consider it as complete and move on to building the other scenarios.

Hope this helps,
Ron
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
bipman,
Members reacted Thanks:
bipman,Zovs,

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2021, 04:32:40 AM »
Hi pzgndr,
Good to hear from you!  I'll add your email address to the teams meeting.  So far, I do not have enough email addresses to hold a meeting. 
And yes, I have those two potential changes and more from you to consider.
The scenario editor/builder was released several versions back, along with all of the text files.  What version on you on? Current 1.0.11.
Ron
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Schwerpunkt Valencia

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 12:48:46 PM »
Hi Ron,

Are you updating those changes in the Dropbox file as you move forward ?

Kind regards

Schwerpunkt Valencia
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2021, 04:12:34 PM »
Had not planned to update each change in the DropBox because of the overhead, but rather do this all at one time.  I want to group the changes and update all at once.  I have been doing some thinking, and realize that I am losing focus thinking about code changes that are really not related to Scenario #102.  I have a list of ones that have been suggested to me (pzgndr suggested two of them in this thread), but this is not about opening up that list and working on them.  First, I need to make #102 playable with the new rules needed to make #102 work.  So here is the list I will be working first:
1. HQ Allocations RR Move operation - done
2. Prevent Poland, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Netherlands, Yugoslavia, and Greece from attacking until one of their cities is captured by the Axis.
3. Allow Russia to change sides (switch from Axis to Allies)
4. If Russia is attacked by the Axis, then cause the units that were there on 6-22-1941 to appear on the map.
5. Allow German and Russia to build new units using mech and non-mech replacement point.  This includes German panzer units upgrade from 14-10-8 to 16-12-8, panzergrenadier builds at 12-10-8, infantry changes from 10-10-3 to 5-7-3 volksgrenadier, motorized unit builds at 8-8-8 and FW190 fighter/bomber unit builds at 11-8-2.  This includes Russian Tank Brigade upgrades from 3-2-5 to 4-2-6, mech brigades builds at 4-4-6, rifle unit upgrades from 2-4-2 to 3-5-3, cavalry unit builds at 3-3-6, YAK-1 fighter builds at 6-4-2, IL-2 fighter/bomber builds at 5-3-2 and Pe-2 bomber builds at 5-5-15.
8. Additionally, allow Russia to upgrade 129 rifle units by one AF/DF and 50 tank/mech/Cav units by one AF/DF to simulate Guards unit creations.

After that, I will consider other changes.

Thanks for listening,
Ron

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted Thanks:
Zovs,

Offline pzgndr

• Empires in Arms Development Team
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2021, 11:58:39 PM »
The scenario editor/builder was released several versions back, along with all of the text files.  What version on you on? Current 1.0.11.

I completely missed that! Yes, I do have the current version. A comment though; the readme only has the current changes for 1.0.11. It would be helpful in some cases to be able to review all past changes, so providing a more comprehensive running log file would be good. Easy to do.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted Thanks:
schwerpt,Zovs,

Tags:

World War II Europe 1939-1945 Scenario list

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 9317