Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Sandbox Campaign  (Read 3005 times)

Offline Densejense

Sandbox Campaign
« on: July 09, 2020, 10:28:55 AM »
Hello again

Work is quite slow at the moment, so there is time to ask some questions and thoughts ;D

I like the idea with the Sandbox Campaign in singleplayer, but I haven't tried it yet, though I have a question:

Do anyone know if you can command a division or a corps, and get orders from the general on the campaign map? Like you get the order to scout an area or hold a position until reinforcments arrive?

Thank you
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline General Sandman

Re: Sandbox Campaign
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 12:36:33 PM »
Do anyone know if you can command a division or a corps, and get orders from the general on the campaign map? Like you get the order to scout an area or hold a position until reinforcments arrive?

I dont think so. As far as I know, the human player will always be in charge of the highest commander´s role.

IMO the unscripted strategic AI in SoW isnt suited to conduct a battle as CiC in an appropriate way. Other than the tactical AI of sub commanders, which is often doing a reasonable job. Especially if we consider the AI skills of other SIMs on the market, the performance can be considered as remarable.

I cannot recommend the SP sandbox campaign.
I give 3 reasons as exemples:

1. You cannot setup 2 or more major Armies as the french. Just 1 army under Bonaparte and all other subsidiaries can be only 1 corps maximum. Especially in this french campaign in Belguim it is very vital to be able to split the forces according the situation to keep the Allies seperated.

2. You havent really influence on the battle lengh. If think 4 hours is the maximum. But it also can be much quicker. It is frustrating if you just encircled the enemy to crush him, when the battle suddenly ends.

3. It is nearly impossible as the french side to outmaneuvre and isolate an allied formation to outnumber it. Inferior allied forces will avoid the bigger french Army, while its not possible to fall into their back with a 2nd superior Army, cos the maximum of other french formations is one corps only. So its actually not really possible to decimate the Allies step by step while saving the own troops from significant casualities.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Who we were

“We were the ones who knew but did not understand, well informed but without insight, overloaded with factual data but poor in experience and wisdom. So we went, not stopped by ourselves."

Based on Roger Willemsen R.I.P.

Offline Densejense

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 12:53:04 PM »
Hello Sandman

I'm sad to hear about this, since I like the idea of battles that have some sort of connection to a campaign.
I think, that I'll try it at some point, but my first goal must be at the moment, should be to get to know HITS and join you in the multiplayer battles.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline General Sandman

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 01:31:17 PM »
You dont need to be sad about this. We have a campaign-tool for our MP battles, which can transfer the results of a former to a consecutive battle considering the return of some MIA and slightly wounded soldiers. Furthermore Biondo is working on a concept to combine a strategic campaign-map-app with the tactical stage of SoW.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Who we were

“We were the ones who knew but did not understand, well informed but without insight, overloaded with factual data but poor in experience and wisdom. So we went, not stopped by ourselves."

Based on Roger Willemsen R.I.P.

Offline Skoop

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 06:32:14 PM »
I think the Grand Tactician engine that in beta right now will be the thing your looking for if you want an SP strategic layer linked to a tactical layer.  It has many of the features of SOW like HITS. 

It was disappointing that the sandbox campaign was dumped in SOW as it was a major selling point feature for me.

That said, the MP campaigns being worked on here are probably better than anything the SOW devs could do and take the game to a whole other level.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Densejense

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 07:01:42 AM »
Hello,

I have read that in some of your MP sessions, you had some link between battles, but I was not sure if it was common.
I like this idea that you are working on.

Thank you. ;D
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Biondo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 07:04:51 AM »
I think the Grand Tactician engine that in beta right now will be the thing your looking for if you want an SP strategic layer linked to a tactical layer.  It has many of the features of SOW like HITS. 

It was disappointing that the sandbox campaign was dumped in SOW as it was a major selling point feature for me.

That said, the MP campaigns being worked on here are probably better than anything the SOW devs could do and take the game to a whole other level.

This sound interesting :thumbsup

Does grand tactician has a HITS mode?

About the sow campaign I agree with you. Of course,I know they had very limited time to develop the game and the campaign was at an embryonal state; I liked the idea behind the campaign, real time, playing more battle at the same time etc...
I hoped they could develop in a successive time but this didn't happens for many reasons.
Reinforcements, a better way to mix your forces, a rough logistics system were some of the basics I was expecting to have.

Now I'm working on something similar, I think that having a campaign layer behind our battles will increase our fun and add more sense to the battles we play

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Densejense

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 08:03:22 AM »

[/quote]

Now I'm working on something similar, I think that having a campaign layer behind our battles will increase our fun and add more sense to the battles we play

Regards
[/quote]

This sounds very promising!  ;D
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Movement in Sandbox campaign

Started by General Sandman