Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Volley fire  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Densejense

Volley fire
« on: July 09, 2020, 08:17:35 AM »
Hello

I was wondering, do you use volley fire when you play multiplayer?

When I play singleplayer and enable volley fire, the men don't fire - I'm not sure if it's a bug, but when I press the button nothing happens, even for minutes.
When I press the button again every man fires.

My question is simple:
Do you have to do this for every single single regiment under your command?

Thank you.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jakmin

Re: Volley fire
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 08:50:00 AM »
Hi, I hardly ever use volley fire, but it works just like that, the first one gives the order to cease fire, the second one gives the order of fire. In multyplayer games when you command a division it is a micromanagement that is often left to AI
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
dog" border="0

Offline Densejense

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 08:58:59 AM »
Hello Jakmin,

It's just when I let the AI control it, every man fires independant from the rest of the regiment, so it looks like they don't fire in volleys. The smoke also just puffs out sections of the regiment instead of the hole line.

But thank you for the answer, I'll look into how I maybe can tweak the AI.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Biondo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 06:52:16 AM »
Hello

I was wondering, do you use volley fire when you play multiplayer?

When I play singleplayer and enable volley fire, the men don't fire - I'm not sure if it's a bug, but when I press the button nothing happens, even for minutes.
When I press the button again every man fires.

My question is simple:
Do you have to do this for every single single regiment under your command?

Thank you.

Sometimes I use it, for example, if I manage to bring a battalion on an enemy flank, or if my men are in square.
The morale impact caused by a sudden loss of men is higher.

Of course this is a micromanagement that playing HITS is difficult always to do.

The AI performs volley fire by itself. Usually at least one volley fire will be fired and then *possibly* a second one then the units will usually starts to for at will. This depends on the training level of the units; the release volley distance depends too from this value (less experienced troops release the volley at a greater distance inflicting less damage, veterans do it at lower distance with much greater effects).

You'll see the volley button highlighting, then all the men reload their weapon, it could take up to 40 seconds to have everyone ready. Then, if the enemy is close enough, they release the volley.
You can also do it manually but give them sufficient time to reload or, when you release the volley, not all the men will fire.

Check the distance from the nearest enemy and if you can close up the distance before releasing the volley. If you see the enemy falling back after one or two volleys and the tactical situation permit it, charge them!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Densejense

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 07:05:03 AM »
Thank you for the answer Biondo.

I thought to myself that it would be too much, if you should do with every single regiment, and as you said, when playing HITS, it must be difficult.

I will try to pay more attention to this next time.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Biondo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 07:40:07 AM »
If you want to order a volley fire to all of your brigade/division you can also hit the volley button of the relative commander. Battalions will reload their muskets and then will release the volley when the conditions are met or if you order to release it pressing again the volley fire button at brigade/division commander level; of course, only the battalions with a target will fire
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Densejense

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 07:57:24 AM »
If you want to order a volley fire to all of your brigade/division you can also hit the volley button of the relative commander. Battalions will reload their muskets and then will release the volley when the conditions are met or if you order to release it pressing again the volley fire button at brigade/division commander level; of course, only the battalions with a target will fire

Yes of course, this makes sense  :-X

Thank you.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags: