Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: SOW Waterloo Multiplayer Saturday 20/06/2020 at 20:00 GMT  (Read 3293 times)

Offline Biondo

• Global Moderator

SOW Waterloo Multiplayer Saturday 20/06/2020 at 20:00 GMT

Immersive, friendly session.

Played with full fog of war.

**                    Notes                      **
SOW Version: Waterloo 1.03
Largest command: Corps
Smallest command: Brigade
Mission Duration: 180 minutes
Minimum number players: 2
Time (local): Click here
Teamspeak  IP: 104.153.105.2:35200  Please wait in lobby for access to other areas.
Room: Scourge Of War

Extra Notes:
•   TIME LIMIT: 01.30 a.m. GMT at the following day, if no different agreement has been made by the participiants.
•   The room will be open at 20:30 GMT for preparation & mission setup
•   House rules: Click here
•   HITS system
•   Courier orders
•   Bare map. Full F.O.W.
•   No voice during game (comms by courier only). It's possible to talk to nearby commander using TS whisper list or moving in a dedicated room

Mods required:
•   DOW Community Toolbar V8: This will be provided.
•   If an updated mod is required you will be sent a link via pm

Player Skill/Ability:
•   Must be proficient Using HITS
•   Have a good understanding of UI

Commanders and leaders:
Biondo
Colbert
Jakmin
Tadzio
Asalex
Sandman
SamuelGim
Neil
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 09:37:40 PM by Biondo »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Biondo

• Global Moderator
Re: SOW Waterloo Multiplayer Saturday 20/06/2020 at 20:00 GMT
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 11:46:18 PM »
We'll play a 180 mins scenario, French attacking, British defending.

Here's the map

The british had primed all the four bridges that lead to the major objective. They can burn a bridge by holding the relative objective for 10 minutes (be aware that the British need 100 men in a radius of 50 yards), then the objective disappear and the bridge is considered blown up. This will cost 500 points for every bridge blown up.
French are not close to the bridges so the defender will have some time to decide what to do.

It's possible to cross the river only using bridges or moving around the river in the west.

Additionally, the British could ask for reinforcements moving an additional force to the NW corner of the map and taking the waypoint objective; this again will cost 500 points to the british if used. French can't attack the reinforcements if they aren't activated.

The main objective could be held by both the teams, it'll worth 100 points in the first 100 minutes and 200 points till the end of the battle, every 10 minutes; the British are already holding the objective at the start: It requires 1000 men to be seized.

More info about the initial deployment will be given to the CIC.

There will be:
6 infantry division per side
2 cavalry division per side
Some heavy batteries

The OOB could be reduced in the very last moment if we don't have enough players

Please ask if there are questions :howdy
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 08:07:00 AM by Biondo »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colbert

• Colbert
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 07:06:04 AM »
Thanks for the explanation  :howdy
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Jakmin

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 07:27:09 AM »
Ci sarò  :thumbsup
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
dog" border="0

Offline Colbert

• Colbert
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 07:31:56 AM »
While I wait, I drink a beer
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
nemo me impune lacessit

Offline tadzio73

• In the rugged mountains
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 11:16:04 AM »
asalex and me are in  :chg

Biondo thanks for the briefing, I have a question:
If the British blow up a bridge, do the 500 points add to or subtract from their overall points?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline General Sandman

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 12:27:35 PM »
Messieurs, ce l´heure.  :bonaparte
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Who we were

“We were the ones who knew but did not understand, well informed but without insight, overloaded with factual data but poor in experience and wisdom. So we went, not stopped by ourselves."

Based on Roger Willemsen R.I.P.

Offline Biondo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 03:06:45 PM »
asalex and me are in  :chg

Biondo thanks for the briefing, I have a question:
If the British blow up a bridge, do the 500 points add to or subtract from their overall points?
Hi tadzio, the points are subtracted, 500 for every bridge and 500 if the British activates the reinforcements.

If the French wants to cross from the south, it's mandatory to use bridge, otherwise he can manoeuvre from the west.

Cheers
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline tadzio73

• In the rugged mountains
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 02:06:07 PM »

Watching the replay I've a question for General Sandman, have you really been playing two hours without changing your position or is it a bug in the program?  :wink_2
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline General Sandman

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 05:20:44 PM »

Watching the replay I've a question for General Sandman, have you really been playing two hours without changing your position or is it a bug in the program?  :wink_2

2 Hours? No way!

You can see, from 0.55 h on my points in that viewer werent changing anymore. So from here the tracking of me had stopped.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Who we were

“We were the ones who knew but did not understand, well informed but without insight, overloaded with factual data but poor in experience and wisdom. So we went, not stopped by ourselves."

Offline General Sandman

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 05:46:38 PM »
The allied side had a solid concept, which probably has been executed well.

In the aftermath, it revealed to me an idea how to maneuvre more promising. But unfortunatly thats how it mostly works.

The scenario setup was quite unusual, but interesting indeed. Still hard for the french attacker to succeed, cos the enemy knows all the given limited attack directions, benefits from a very favorable terrain at the river or optionally building a deep defence of several lines to the western gap and last but not least has more men and good quality of cavalry at his disposal. But still, the probable advantages have to be used properly.

Felicitations  :howdy
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Who we were

Offline Biondo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 11:24:27 PM »

Ahah, that's why we lose! Our commander in chief fell asleep!!!

About the scenario, yes, there were a couple of things that could be done better to balance the game but I hope it was fun enough for everybody.

Talking about the battle,  I was commanding the right wing corps of Gerard, tadzio and asalex had a division each. I also had to command an infantry division, a cavalry division and the artillery corps reserve.

Our CIC was commanding the left wing and ordered us to take at least one out of two of the eastern bridges, before the enemy destroyed them.

Then we have to establish a bridgehead moving our forces north of the river, seeking for a weak point in the enemy line.

Our cavalry was the most advanced unit, I splitted them and sent to the two bridges. Asalex was ordered to move to the eastern bridge while tadzio has to move to the bridge on the left. Third division as reserve behind in the centre and three batteries of the artillery reserve between tadzio and asalex.

After all the orders were sent, I moved myself towards the river and here I had my first surprise. No enemy were trying to destroy those bridges but they were deploying on top of the ridge north of the river. Very smart decision and bad news for us.

They also deployed their heavy batteries under Drummond to support their defence: from left to the right, on top of the ridge, I saw:
- Decken division: big infantry division (9000 men) but poor quality and no divisional artillery
- Drummond heavy batteries, 24 guns ready to destroy our lines, they were deployed facing tadzio division
- Brunswick corps with his cavalry melted with some squadron of Arentschild cavalry division
- Cole division, facing asalex.

This is what I could see from my saddle.

Following our commander instructions, I ordered asalex to turn from the left to the right and to attack Decken in combination with tadzio from south but this plan was immediately stopped when I saw Brunswick and heavy batteries deploying to Decken's left.

I had a talk with asalex who suggested an outflanking manoeuvre to the Cole's left. After scouting and reporting that no enemy was behind Cole, I dispatched new orders.

Tadzio had to stay in his position keeping Decken busy, asalex had to start the outflanking manoeuvre when my reserve infantry division was deployed and ready to fight against Cole from the south. I also recalled the cavalry regiment who was in front of tadzio to rejoin and support our manoeuvre on our right.

Couriers where running in all directions to deliver the new orders, I saw the cavalry regiment to my left moving along the river to rejoin their comrades but they were suddenly attacked by two squadrons of British cavalry which nearly destroyed all the entire brigade (800 men) in one charge. My men were caught marching and with very unfavorable ground, the enemy cavalry came at all speed from high ground and that was all :-[

In the prosecution of the battle, those British squadrons tried to charge the artillery reserve but they could capture only a couple of guns and were repulsed by canister fire.

Tadzio suffered a lot from the artillery fire which came from all those guns placed on the ridge.

On the left things went much much better. Cole's division was hit from the south by my division and from the east from asalex.

Here was probably one of my mistake: maybe I have to ordered asalex to not engage at all but keep moving towards the objective.
Maybe the allied commander would have left his line along the ridge giving us the possibility to advance to a less unfavorable ground.

Another point is that we also lose other cavalry squadrons due to the attack of the Brunswick and British cavalry and this had a bad impact in the last phase of the battle.

After Cole's division left his position, asalex was free to move towards the objective and I had to turn to the left to face some Brunswick infantry, well supported by cavalry, and tried to protect asalex advance.

But some Brunswick manage to pursuit and hit asalex fatigued troops, helped by the big Nassau infantry (held on the objective to hold it).

I ordered tadzio to leave his position, move to the eastern bridge and support our attack but this order was given too late by me and tadzio reached the assigned position in the very end of the battle.

Asalex was beaten also if, for a moment, contested the main objective.

In the west I saw French flags waving in the wind but checked by the enemy (sandman reported quite early in the game that the British reinforcements were immediately called).

I tried to crush the enemy until the last second but they resisted enough to hold their positions.  :howdy

In my opinion, on our side, the things that decided the battle were:
- allied not contesting the bridges and destroying none of them, deploying on top of the ridge to the north (far from our artillery, better position, not losing 500 points because of the bridge blow up)
- cavalry fight in the beginning that nearly destroyed his effectiveness, depriving us of an important arm later on
- not moving asalex immediately towards the objective
- not asking tadzio to leave his position and come rescue us (I think this was a very difficult decision because it need to be done at the right moment; too early and the enemy could simply move to the north and reinforce the position around the objective; too late, and it could happens like it happened). If I had a better line of communication with sandman and knew that one of his division was on tadzio's left, maybe I could have asked to make a probe towards Decken to avoid that they division feel back to the objective.

My compliments to the allied side who played very well :winner :howdy
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

SOW Waterloo MP AAR Seen from Div commander perspective army vs army

Started by ushiri

Replies: 2
    Views: 4559
    Last post December 19, 2016, 09:54:58 PM
    by ushiri
    How to restart / restore a multiplayer game.

Started by Asid

Replies: 4
    Views: 6366
    Last post January 10, 2019, 10:52:49 AM
    by General Sandman
    SOW Waterloo play today 28/11/16 + AAR

Started by Asid

Replies: 17
    Views: 10498
    Last post November 29, 2016, 12:41:09 PM
    by Mr. Digby
    SOW: Waterloo online MP battle Friday 25.05.18 at 20.00 GMT