Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: SOW Waterloo Multiplayer Saturday 13/06/2020 at 20:00 GMT  (Read 3999 times)

Offline Biondo

• Global Moderator
SOW Waterloo Multiplayer Saturday 13/06/2020 at 20:00 GMT
« on: June 12, 2020, 07:11:25 AM »

Immersive, friendly session.

Played with full fog of war.

**                    Notes                      **
SOW Version: Waterloo 1.03
Largest command: Corps
Smallest command: Brigade
Mission Duration: 180 minutes
Minimum number players: 2
Time (local): Click here
Teamspeak  IP: 104.153.105.2:35200  Please wait in lobby for access to other areas.
Room: Scourge Of War

Extra Notes:
•   TIME LIMIT: 01.30 a.m. GMT at the following day, if no different agreement has been made by the participiants.
•   The room will be open at 20:30 GMT for preparation & mission setup
•   House rules: Click here
•   HITS system
•   Courier orders
•   Bare map. Full F.O.W.
•   No voice during game (comms by courier only). It's possible to talk to nearby commander using TS whisper list or moving in a dedicated room

Mods required:
•   DOW Community Toolbar V8: This will be provided.
•   If an updated mod is required you will be sent a link via pm

Player Skill/Ability:
•   Must be proficient Using HITS
•   Have a good understanding of UI

Commanders and leaders:
Jakmin
General sandman
Fabian
Tadzio73
Asalex
GeneralGandhi
Biondo
Colbert
Praetoria
Koda
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 02:40:34 PM by Biondo »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jakmin

Re: SOW Waterloo Multiplayer Saturday 13/06/2020 at 20:00 GMT
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 07:44:03 AM »
Presente  :thumbsup
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
dog" border="0

Offline General Sandman

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 07:26:05 PM »
The endless war demands my tribute too.  :bonaparte
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Who we were

“We were the ones who knew but did not understand, well informed but without insight, overloaded with factual data but poor in experience and wisdom. So we went, not stopped by ourselves."

Based on Roger Willemsen R.I.P.

Offline Fabian

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 11:15:35 AM »
Presente!
 :FrenchFlag
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Biondo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 12:00:01 PM »
Ready for the fight.

Praetoria has some connection problem, if he solve it, he'll be with us :thumbsup

Jakmin, sandman and the Spanish corps added 8)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Koda

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 02:29:33 PM »
Count me in  :thumbsup
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Biondo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 02:41:01 PM »
Koda added :thumbsup
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline GeneralGandhi

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2020, 03:41:11 PM »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Biondo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 05:22:40 PM »
Praetoria made the scenario for this evening, here's the oob. Map will be Waterloo

We made a first attempt to create the two teams:

French side
Biondo
Jakmin
Colbert
SamuelGim
Praetoria

Allied side
Sandman
Fabian
Tadzio
Asalex
Gandhi
Sargon

Koda is still to decide, he could join both the teams, it depends if other players (Neilnilly and Presy63 for example) join the battle and what side they want/can join.

Of course this is a first rough idea, if anyone want to contribute, write here :thumbsup
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline tadzio73

• In the rugged mountains
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 06:51:46 PM »
Biondo, you've more experience with mutiplayers battles than us but I'm worried with two things of this OOB:
I see very large armies and I fear that this will have a negative impact on performance. The last battles we played together with half troops were very fluid however the battle we left unfinished in May with an OOB of this size performed very poorly.
On the other hand, do you want each player to take an army corps? It's a challenge for some of us   :funky_chicken
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 07:12:57 PM by tadzio73 »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Biondo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2020, 07:17:57 PM »
To be honest I'm worried probably more than you about the numbers in this battle and I told this to Praetoria who is the scenario creator.

Me and him tried in this last days to test what kind of impact we could have playing such an oob but we never had an opportunity to do it.

If we see that it's too much we can simply stop and do something else keeping this kind of scenarios for a future where pc can support that

About the unit you want to command is up to you. If you want to play division there's no problem. :howdy

To help the CIC of the allied side, Praetoria can move under Wellington command
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jakmin

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 04:36:12 PM »
Salute a tutti. Il mio parere su questo scenario è positivo. Mi piace la disposizione iniziale con la nebbia di guerra aumentata al massimo, e mi piace lo sviluppo dinamico che uno scenario del genere può creare. In pratica, in mancanza di informazioni si è spesso combattuti sul da farsi. Occorre valutare un certo numero di opzioni, e sperare di prendere la decisione giusta.
Anche io ero preoccupato delle prestazioni, ma per ora è andata meglio del previsto. Per quanto riguarda la gestione di un corpo di armata, si, è piu complesso ma puo dare tante soddisfazioni con la pratica. Unico difetto della serata è che mi sembra di avere capito che il comandante in capo alleato non avesse capito che la battaglia si sviluppava in dieci ore da suddividere in piu serate. Questo è un peccato, perchè naturalmente le decisioni prese sono sicuramente state influenzate da tale incomprensione. Del resto una mole così grande di uomini sarebbe sprecata da gestire in sole tre ore. Spero si possa continuare se ci sono ancora le premesse, altrimenti mi adeguo a qualsiasi decisione verrà presa.

Health to all. My opinion on this scenario is positive. I like the initial arrangement with the fog of war increased to the maximum, and I like the dynamic development that such a scenario can create. In practice, in the absence of information, people have often fought over what to do. A number of options need to be evaluated, and hope to make the right decision.
I was also worried about the performance, but for now it has gone better than expected. As for the management of an army corps, yes, it is more complex but can give many satisfactions with practice. The only flaw of the evening is that I seem to have understood that the Allied commander in chief did not understand that the battle was developing in ten hours to be divided into several evenings. This is unfortunate, because of course the decisions made were certainly influenced by this misunderstanding. Moreover, such a large amount of men would be wasted to manage in just three hours. I hope we can continue if the conditions are still there, otherwise I will adapt to any decision that will be taken.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
dog" border="0

Offline General Sandman

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 09:14:06 PM »
Well, I am not sure, if it can be considered as a correct remark, that the allied CiC didnt understand that the battle was initially intended to last 10 hours or there was a misunderstanding. To be precise, I wonder if he even has been informed about this certain condition. It wasnt mentioned in the written allied battle briefing and I dont remember, if it has been communicated in a language I can understand. On the contrary, Biondo wrote in the battle thread about "the scenario for this evening", which I only noticed very briefly before the battle, since I got home 30 min before the starting time and then didnt study anything, but met with Biondo on TS to crearify some common issues about the scenario editor before joining the channel 1 min before 20.00 GMT.
So, something that was previously not communicated to all people or at least clearly stated and additionally does not correspond to the usual procedure, cannot be understood with sufficient certainty at all.
Furthermore, as I got it right, I wasnt the only one who hadnt knowledge about this "detail".
How about our spanish friends - did they know it before the battle and if yes, how? Was there a way of communication that was also accessable to me and the participants in general?

In total we played 2 initially intented multi-evening battles and 1 of them couldnt be resumed due technical issues. Like 98 % of the sessions are one-evening-events. Its actually common that the main objectives can very hardly accomplished. Due lacking of any info (at least I didnt notice) I assumed a giant clash of 2 armies in  3 hours, and thats how I instructed the commanders. To be precise, I told them to seize yet unoccupied space or probe an area to check it out, but not really to alloutattack. Furthermore first I barely saw an OOB with a lot of corps, but didnt checked the composition and the numbers. Only in the battle I got a clue that most corps are more or less according the original structure.

Dont understand me wrong. I could easily continue to play the scenario and accept any result.
Under the given circumstances I estimate the chance for the allies to succeed less than 10 %.

But, the lacking info or misunderstanding isnt the only reason for my conclusion.
In my opinion, the orignal Waterloo OOB, or such mainly basing on it, arent matching with the requirements of our MP sessions at all for 2 major reasons:

1. While most of the french corps have a dedicated cavalry division at their disposal, the allied cavalry was to perhaps like 75 % concentrated in the Uxbridge corps. Therefore 2 allied corps have zero Cav under their control, while another one has less than 1000 men. The reduced prussian corps could support one of them with its horses, but it needed intense coordination between different commanders with a certain delay, while on french side the combined forces are mostly organized under the same HQ.
Considering that the front of the scenario has a width of like 4 miles, its impossible to support more than a limited number of elements with cavalry accurately, since about 6-7 Cav divsions plus the Cav reserve Arty had to be micromanaged by the CiC, who actually has to coordinate the whole army. Making use of the AI without visuals is in many cases inferior to the direct control the opponents could make use of. Even if any other player took Uxbridge, he wasnt able to perform in a required manner under those conditions. At least 3-4 Cav divisions had to be controled by a competent human each.
The disposal of combined forces being correctly micromanaged against Inf divisions without Cav support would nearly always lead to a defeat of the latter one.
All the french CiC had to do, was checking where Wellington Army Commander is moving with Uxbridge´s riders and then order his distant corps to attack their probably unsupported opposing enemies and on the long run most probably he would succeed.

2. The anglo-allied army of Waterloo under Wellington had tons of unexperienced troops (miltia and volunteers under Decken, Stedman, Nassau etc.) who could hardly compete with the french troops, especially if they had to attack. So if using the original OOB, IMO it rather had to be an attack-defend-mission or the allies consequently stay in a defensive deployment.

Assuming it was a quick clash of 3 hours only, I had some ideas to seek some fortune with those troops. But on the long run those arent much worth, to be honest.

Since I realized this problem long ago and seeing it as a permanent handicap in a number of our MP battles, I recently designed a new OOB, intended to avoid the mentioned deficits. In this OOB the british corps have dedicated Cav Divisions and militia has been mostly eleminated. I also created smaller and medium sized corps for better control and flexibility when composing the OOB for our scenarios. There are some more changes from which I believe they could enhance our MP experience, but without causing too aquivalent formations. Although we had to renounce in terms of athenticity, I think the OOB fits much better to the needs according we use to play.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 09:47:16 AM by General Sandman »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Who we were

“We were the ones who knew but did not understand, well informed but without insight, overloaded with factual data but poor in experience and wisdom. So we went, not stopped by ourselves."

Offline Colbert

• Colbert
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 09:16:36 PM »
Personalmente,sarei del parere di riiniziare la partita visto che non tutti(io compreso)non avevo capito che  si protaesse per più giorni,Sicuramente la tattica sarebbe stata diversa(più attentistica nel mio caso)Premesso,avevo"perso" pochi uomini,va bene anche continuare 

Personally, I would be of the opinion to restart the game since not everyone (including me) had not understood that it lasted for several days, Surely the tactic would have been different (more careful in my case). Premised, I had "lost" a few men, go also good to continue
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
nemo me impune lacessit

Offline General Sandman

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2020, 01:54:19 PM »
... And BTW, in the scenario notes of this thread has been announced:

Mission Duration: 180 minutes
  :book

I see an emphasis on the word "Mission" and I note, that the word wasnt "Session" (Duration).  :teach
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Who we were

Tags:

SOW Waterloo MP AAR Seen from Div commander perspective army vs army

Started by ushiri

Replies: 2
    Views: 4548
    Last post December 19, 2016, 09:54:58 PM
    by ushiri
    How to restart / restore a multiplayer game.

Started by Asid

Replies: 4
    Views: 6354
    Last post January 10, 2019, 10:52:49 AM
    by General Sandman
    SOW Waterloo play today 28/11/16 + AAR

Started by Asid

Replies: 17
    Views: 10490
    Last post November 29, 2016, 12:41:09 PM
    by Mr. Digby
    SOW: Waterloo online MP battle Friday 25.05.18 at 20.00 GMT