Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: The Virtual Production of The Mandalorian, Season One  (Read 2329 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
The Virtual Production of The Mandalorian, Season One
« on: February 25, 2020, 11:07:13 PM »
The Virtual Production of The Mandalorian, Season One

A behind the scenes look at the groundbreaking virtual production technology used on The Mandalorian, Season One.

Over 50 percent of The Mandalorian Season 1 was filmed using this ground-breaking new methodology, eliminating the need for location shoots entirely. Instead, actors in The Mandalorian performed in an immersive and massive 20’ high by 270-degree semicircular LED video wall and ceiling with a 75’-diameter performance space, where the practical set pieces were combined with digital extensions on the screens. Digital 3D environments created by ILM played back interactively on the LED walls, edited in real-time during the shoot, which allowed for pixel-accurate tracking and perspective-correct 3D imagery rendered at high resolution via systems powered by NVIDIA GPUs. The  environments were lit and rendered from the perspective of the camera to provide parallax in real-time, as if the camera were really capturing the physical environment with accurate interactive light on the actors and practical sets, giving showrunner Jon Favreau, executive producer and director Dave Filoni, visual effects supervisor Richard Bluff, and cinematographers Greig Fraser and Barry Baz Idoine, and the episodic directors the ability to make concrete creative choices for visual effects-driven work during photography and achieve real-time in-camera composites on set.

The technology and workflow required to make in-camera compositing and effects practical for on-set use combined the ingenuity of partners such as Golem Creations, Fuse, Lux Machina, Profile Studios, and ARRI together with ILM’s StageCraft virtual production filmmaking platform and ultimately the real-time interactivity of the Unreal Engine platform.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Skoop

Re: The Virtual Production of The Mandalorian, Season One
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 08:58:42 PM »
Sweet.

If you haven't seen the series, I highly recommend it.  Definately captures the Lucas Magic better than the Disney reboot corporate crap they been putting out in the last 3 movies.  (Excluding rogue one which was good)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: The Virtual Production of The Mandalorian, Season One
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 11:54:43 PM »
I have watched all episodes and I really liked it. I agree that it has the flavour of the original Star Wars films  :thumbsup

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Tags:

360 Virtual tour inside Finnish WW2 submarine

Started by Lumituisku

Replies: 8
    Views: 5467