Translations for our friends around the world.

New URL: www.Schwerpunkt.Games

Click image to go to main site  www.Schwerpunkt.Games

Author Topic: 2020 Update?  (Read 20478 times)

Offline Mere Nick

Re: 2020 Update?
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2020, 05:01:48 PM »
If I recall it correctly, in the Avalon Hill game of Third Reich, if Germany never attacks Russia, Russia can go ahead and declare war in 1942.  Perhaps this happens because the US has entered the war and it prevents the German player from controlling whether or not Russia enters the war.   
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt Games Developer
    • Schwerpunkt
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2020, 04:39:48 AM »
Work has been proceeding very well during the holidays.  Scenario #102 covers 318 turns (each one week of history time).  It starts September 1, 1939, and goes to May 8, 1945 plus a few weeks more if the player wants to continue past the historical timeframe.  There are 2123 Allied (including Russia although they start out as Axis) units, and they are currently in the game file..  The number of Axis units is TBD.  As far new coding, so far I have the following "must have" improvements:
1. HQ Assignment (discussed in previous thread)
2. Improved RR move method (currently limited to 9 hexes at a time.
3. Improved HQ assignment (cumbersome HW change method needs improvement)
4. Bold font for units (we are not as young as we once was!)
5. Reduced AI air visibility in rear areas
6. Method for country to be able to move and attack at start.  Not history based but game based.

Okay, lets open this up.  I am looking for changes that really need to be made that will make a difference in game play, not just minor improvements.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments,
Ron
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Schwerpunkt Valencia

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2020, 09:35:49 AM »
Hi Ron,

Sounds great all the development you have achieved !

We are aware you do not want to get into minor code changes. I was just wondering if the defense mode would be such...

7. Defense mode (give ground, normal defense, hold fast) with their implications in losses & ground, etc.

Another suggestion that might be considered as minor:

8. Some kind of defense of ground units subject to air tactical attack (so depending on the defense factor of ground units, air units can take some few losses)

Being said this, point 7. is in my opinion far more important.

Kind regards

Schwerpunkt Valencia
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2020, 12:33:45 AM »
Hi Schwerpunkt Valencia,

Those are two solid suggestions, I added both to my list.  I always did like the defense modes in previous games.  And it would be much more realistic for the Air Tactical attacks to have air losses of some sort.  I am looking forward to getting back to coding, its been a while.  But first I have to complete the unit scenario file....

Thanks,
Ron
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline pzgndr

• Empires in Arms Development Team
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2020, 02:39:21 PM »
For #2, take a look and be sure stack RR moves count for each unit in stack and not just 1 RR move. Unless you've fixed that already. If you can re-implement the RGW RR repair rule then fine, but even that was awkward. My suggestion is to expand RR conversion to next controlled city, perhaps with a turn delay related to city points. Something simple, automatic, and relatively historical would be great. It doesn't have to be perfect, just enough to slow down the Axis advance in 1941. If that works, the rest is fine.

I would also suggest again that you re-implement the old RGW rule for HQ command and control range. Units out of HQ range should suffer a penalty and not be able to receive reinforcements.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Schwerpunkt Valencia

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2020, 10:04:00 AM »
Hi Ron,

As New Year is about to turn up it is maybe time for new wishes... ;) ;) ;) for the wish list...

9. Supply: some changes are required to upgrade realism:
9.1 Units should have a limited supply stock as in AGW so when they run out of supply points they cannot perform operations such attack, move, etc
9.2 Movement consumes supply points
9.2 Mechanized units should not be able to move when out of supply. That precludes unsupplied mechanized units to move into the void unchecked.
9.3 Air supply: should be limited to one supplied ground unit per air unit. Otherwise huge armies can be kept supplied by air which is unrealistic. I also liked the AGW air supply, some limited supply for essential operations but not unlimited as it is now.

I also found an error on the map:
- Hex 433-239 Baku city: has no victory points, nor can ground units enter it.

An another error on ground operations for the Overlord campaigns:
- Landed Allied units cannot be attacked by Germans. Yet they can attack in the attack phase.

Happy New Year to all of you !

Schwerpunkt Valencia
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2020, 06:08:49 PM »
The feedback I have gotten on the AGW supply rules was negative, so I will probably not add that to WWII-Europe.  The Baku issue is now on my list and will be fixed.  Also the Allied landing units attacking (should not happen), and not being able to attack (also should not happen) will be fixed.  As for the supply rules, it is a part of the constant tradeoff between realism and playability.  I simplified based on feedback for WWII-Europe.

Thanks,
Ron
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Mere Nick

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2021, 04:22:54 PM »
Ron, maybe I'm not understanding, but it appears landing units should be able to attack and be attacked on the turn they land. 
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2021, 12:44:52 AM »
Landing units are moved to a partial sea hex, and fight if there is a unit in that hex.  Game determines if successful landing, losses, and retreats.  Other than that, they should not be able to attack during that turn.  Enemy units should be able to attack them though that turn.  If I understand Schwerpunkt Valencia (no relation except a fellow wargamer and valuable player), he is saying the units can land and attack that turn, but the enemy units cannot attack them (just the opposite of what should be happening.  Does that make sense?

When I get finished with the Campaign scenario file (so ready to be finished with that monster!), then I plan to test this extensively to see what happens during these landings.

Hope this helps,
Ron
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Mere Nick

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2021, 05:06:03 PM »
Ron,

It seems landing units should be able to both attack and be attacked since a turn is whole week.  Maybe you can make it one of the options. 

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2021, 03:33:16 AM »
That would be easier to code.  Allow both attack, and be attacked.  This would be in addition to the initial landing combat if the landing hex already has a enemy unit in it.
Ron
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2021, 04:23:48 AM »
Just a few observations as I make more progress on the Campaign Scenario:

1.  In most of the other scenarios, the player represents an Army Commander of Army Group Commander.  In the Campaign Scenarios, you represent the leader of the Axis or Allies.  The selection of what front  you place an incoming unit is very important.  The new "HQ Assign" operation will be greatly used to place incoming units for Germany and Russia.

2. I have had several offline comments about a new capability.  I plan to add code to allow the player to more easily see the units.  "Magnifying glass" mode (accessible with a right click and select) will allow you to mouse move over a unit, and the unit will be displayed twice its size in the Command Panel.  Or something like that.  Will know more when I start coding.  My players eyes (and my own) are getting older....

3. The German units that are changed based on High Command decisions are in the game.  So an Infantry division that becomes a Motorized division that becomes a Panzergrenadier diving will be represented by three separate units.  The changes will occur on the same turn as they did historically.  The disbanding of units based on losses will not be done, as losses in history and in the current scenario my be completely different.   

4. I list multiple commanders for each unit.  Not all fit in the 25 character limit, so I chose commanders that were in command for the longest timeframe.  I also list the fronts the unit was on in the other 25 characters to give the player an idea of where they were assigned historically.

That is it for now.  I made a lot of progress on the Campaign scenario during the holidays, but its back to my day job on Monday!  Hope everyone had very happy holidays (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from my POV).  Schwerpunkt goal for 2021 is to have playable Campaign Scenario.  That will leave 14 more scenarios to complete the game.  I am looking at possibilities for a graphics person for the next game to replace my ex.  Also looking at a tiled approach for the next game to improve scroll times by loading the entire map into memory.  More on this later as things get done.

All the best,
Ron
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
Members reacted informative:
Asid,
No reactions

Offline Zovs

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2021, 08:27:11 PM »
Any updates Ron?   :howdy
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Started playing board war games around 1975 or so and computer war games around 1995 or so.

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2021, 12:46:41 AM »
Hello,

Making good progress on the scenario #102 file.  All Allied unit (ground, air, sea) are in the file.  I have finished the entry of all German infantry units also.  Need to add the remaining German units, then on to the Italians. Romanians, Finnish, and Hungarians. The large part of data entry is behind me.

I am also developing a file that explains the method used to develop the unit file.  Things like units that were created based on HQ decisions were included, but if it is a rebuilt unit they are not.  The player has the option of what unit to rebuild, and I give the points to do the historical rebuilds.

Still looking forward to getting back to coding.  First order of business will be to code the new op that allows the player to decide what HQ to assign an incoming unit to, and an auto move to that HQ unit to reduce player tedium.

My first attempt at getting a graphics person failed, but I have others in mind.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Ron
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
Members reacted informative:
Asid,
Members reacted Thanks:
Asid,Zovs,

Offline Asid

• HAVOC