Translations for our friends around the world.

Click on banner for Tornado website

Click.gif 

Author Topic: Mouse issues  (Read 3747 times)

Offline Clark78

Mouse issues
« on: November 18, 2019, 02:25:48 PM »
Hello,

Sometimes when starting a mission my mouse is disabled in the cockpit. It doesn't happen everytime, but haven't been able to find out what is causing it. Most of the times it work fine, but then suddenly when I start a mission the mouse doesn't work. Anyone else having similar problems?

Another thing which I don't think is related but I noticed it when trying to find the cause to the mouse issue is that the "Texture on Hills" get set to Disabled by itself from time to time, so I need to go into preferences and reset it. Not sure if it is because I change it while in-flight somehow?

/C
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
Re: Mouse issues
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 10:53:00 AM »
Hi Clark78. These issue you face - mouse disabled and Texture on Hills being disabled by itself - you're running the modded FLIGHT.EXE, yes? I doubt if you face them when running with the out-of-the-box FLIGHT.EXE.

UPDATE
I have solved the "texture on hills being disabled by itself". See this post of mine here.

As for the mouse being disabled in the cockpit, I am not sure how to solve it (for now). Sure your mouse is working fine even without Tornado? ;-)

I have tested the Pilot cockpit mouse action. Works fine. I can move the cursor around when in Ground Radar mode. Also when in Air Radar mode. Works fine. When you are in the Navigator's cockpit, you have to hit the Tab key to activate the MFD or TV-Tab. When the TV-Tab or MFD is active, a bright green indicator light at the corner of the MFD/TV-Tab lights up. This shows that the MFD/TV-Tab has control of your mouse. But I am sure you already know this.

Cheers
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 02:46:02 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Offline Clark78

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 06:32:54 PM »
Hello,

Yes, I was running your modded version :). Will try with vanilla Flight.exe to see if the same issue occurs there as well.

And yes, my mouse works everywhere else. Just sometimes when starting a mission the mouse is disabled. Then I can quit, and retry the same mission again and then the mouse suddenly works normally. so quite strange.

Thanks for fixing the Hill textures! No big deal, was just noting it when trying to find a patter with the mouse issue... :)

Cheers,
/C
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Clark78

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 06:57:31 PM »
UPDATE:

Yes, you're right, I can't reproduce the mouse issue in the original un-modded Flight.exe.

Also, some things I noticed while comparing original Flight.exe and in your modded one:

1. In the movable map, where you can use the mouse to move around and place waypoints. You can use Alt+Left mouse button to return to your aircraft. But in your modded one, you return a centimeter below your aircraft symbol while in the original you're right on the aircraft symbol. Small thing though :).

2. I use the CH Flightstick PRO setting as it allows using the Hat which works very well in Tornado which surprised me. But when in your modded version, if I go to an external view (like F1) and then use the Hat to go back to Front cockpit view (Hat up) it shows the aircraft wings etc. through the cockpit and I have to click Home button to get it to disappear. Quite strange. Works fine in original Flight.exe.

/C

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 11:23:41 AM »
Hi Clark78

Are you using DOSBox or are you playing Tornado in a retro DOS PC using authentic DOS?

I'm using DOSBox and so far I have yet to experience any mouse freeze ups when in the Pilot's cockpit or in the Navigator's cockpit. So I'm filing this ticket under the X-Files.

As for the hat thingy with your CH Flightstick PRO, I don't use a joystick with Tornado and so I can't test that scenario out. BUT! I can check the code, and I've managed to isolate the code in VIEWS.ASM that is causing the issue of the "use the Hat to go back to Front cockpit view (Hat up) it shows the aircraft wings etc. through the cockpit and I have to click Home button to get it to disappear."

The yellow highlighted code was added by me. Guess I was totally ignorant of the joystick code in lines 968 to 969. The reason for the ghost wings as seen when in the Pilot's cockpit is because lines 974 to 979 were bypassed when the Coolie Hat was up.

I believe that I've rectified the problem. I made sure that when the Coolie Hat is up, the code that was previously bypassed is now executed. Chiefly, line 977 with the instruction "mov InCockpit,1" must be run to avoid the ghost wings thingy. I think it makes sense and seems logical, so I can confidently declare this bug squashed. Even though I don't own a joystick, let alone a prized CH Flightstick PRO.

So, yeah there you go. You may check out and test the attached FLIGHT.EXE in this post. Do let me know if this solves the problem.

Cheers and regards
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 12:07:18 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Clark78

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 12:10:50 PM »
Hello,

Ah, sorry, forgot mentioning that I'm using Dosbox. Haven't seen a pattern yet. I usually just use the Free Flight Airborne mission, go to Nav cockpit directly as it has the map as default view on right TAB, and normally the mouse works perfectly. Go back to menu and run the same mission again, and then suddenly the mouse doesn't work.

Will try that out that fix tonight! Thanks! I also noticed you switched back to have the Tornado in green instead of grey, I actually like that better!

I will try out some of the other view things you have done also. I have a couple of suggestions but I can put them together later.

Thanks,
Clark
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 04:44:47 PM »
Hi Clark78

> 1. In the movable map, where you can use the mouse to move around and place waypoints. You can use Alt+Left mouse button to return to your aircraft.
> But in your modded one, you return a centimeter below your aircraft symbol while in the original you're right on the aircraft symbol. Small thing though :)
>

I solved the designator symbol's 'centimeter issue' of the movable map (RefDisp procedure). It's actually a difference of 8 pixels caused by line 406 of TAB.ASM.
YC EQU (TAB_DEPTH/2-1)+OFFSETTIALD   ;centre y

To solve it, I just needed to modify one line of code. I.e., line 611 of TAB.ASM. Like so:
I changed RefDesY DW YC   ;designator flexible y position
           to RefDesY DW YC-OFFSETTIALD   ;designator flexible y position

Attached is the latest FLIGHT.EXE as of 21/11/2019 with the correct positioning of the designator cross as per vanilla Tornado. See image below of the designator correctly positioned.

Another bug bites the dust.

Cheers
Frankie Kam
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Clark78

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 08:22:14 PM »
Sorry, the fix for the Hat didn't work, but it's no big deal. Thanks for trying!

By the way, I don't own a CH Flightstick Pro. I wish I did, but the hat actually works on my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro when selecting CH Flightstick PRO in the Preferences menu, as well as having:

joysticktype=ch

In dosbox.conf.

Cheers,
Clark
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags: