Translations for our friends around the world.

New URL: www.Schwerpunkt.Games

Click image to go to main site  www.Schwerpunkt.Games

Author Topic: WWII-Europe Campaign Scenario #102  (Read 12196 times)

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt Games Developer
    • Schwerpunkt
WWII-Europe Campaign Scenario #102
« on: October 12, 2019, 04:22:48 PM »
Hello,
My plan was to complete creation of the scenario by October.  Although I have made a lot of progress on the scenario, I am still building it.  Below are some Design notes on the units in the scenario.  I have identified a few new rules and code that will be part of the game.  My next target date is the end of the Thanksgiving week for building the scenario.  Will keep you informed.
Ron

WWII-Europe Campaign Scenario
Design Notes

The scenario (called #102 in this file) consists of 318 turns, each one a week in duration.  #102 is a division level scenario, and involves a large number of divisions (~3000).  In order to build the scenario, it was necessary to analyze the units available to each country in September 1939, and to put them into the battle file.  New created units are brought into the scenario at the historical turn in most cases.  Rebuilding of units is modeled by having mechanical and non-mechanical replacement points, which allows new units to be built or existing units to be reinforced, player’s choice.  This file describes the methods used for each country’s units in #102.
The scenario starts with the Axis player having the initiative.

Allied Player units
1.   Poland (110 units)
a.   The units available to Poland in September 1939 are placed in their historical locations.   Polish units can be moved but cannot attack until the Axis captures a Polish city (new rule to be coded).
2.   Norway (46 units)
a.   The units available to Norway in April 1940 are placed in their historical locations on September 1939, assuming that mobilization could occur if attacked earlier.  Norwegian units can be moved but cannot attack until the Axis captures a Norwegian city (new rule to be coded).
3.   Denmark (19 units)
a.   The units available to Denmark in April 1940 are placed in their historical locations on September 1939 assuming that mobilization would have occurred if attacked earlier.  Danish units can be moved but cannot attack until the Axis captures a Danish city (new rule to be coded).
4.   France (200 units)
a.   The units available to France in May 1940 are placed in their historical locations on September 1939, assuming that mobilization could occur if attacked earlier.  French units can be moved but cannot attack until the Axis captures an Allied city (new rule to be coded). It is assumed that France would declare war on the Axis if any Allied city was captured.
5.   Belgium (37 units)
a.   The units available to Belgium in May 1940 are placed in their historical locations on September 1939, assuming that mobilization could occur if attacked earlier.  Belgian units can be moved but cannot attack until the Axis captures a Belgium city (new rule to be coded).
6.   The Netherlands (36 units)
a.   The units available to The Netherlands in May 1940 are placed in their historical locations on September 1939, assuming that mobilization could occur if attacked earlier.  The Netherlands units can be moved but cannot attack until the Axis captures a The Netherlands city (new rule to be coded).
7.   Yugoslavia (73 units)
a.   The units available to Yugoslavia in April 1941 are placed in their historical locations on September 1939, assuming that mobilization could occur if attacked first.  Yugoslavian units can be moved but cannot attack until the Axis captures a Yugoslavian city (new rule to be coded).
8.   Greece (35 units)
a.   The units available to Greece in April 1941 are placed in their historical locations on September 1939, assuming that mobilization could occur if attacked earlier.  Greek units can be moved but cannot attack until the Axis captures a Greek city (new rule to be coded). Note that Italy attacked Greece from Albania in October 1940, and Germany intervened in April 1941 to secure its flank in the impending attack on Russia.
9.   United Kingdom (UK) (326 units)
a.   The units available to the UK in May 1940 are placed in their historical locations on September 1939, assuming that mobilization could occur if attacked earlier.  UK units can be moved but cannot attack until the Axis captures an Allied city (new rule to be coded). It is assumed that the United Kingdom would declare war on the Axis if any Allied city was captured.
10.   United States of America (USA) (195)
a.   The units available to the USA are brought in and placed in their historical locations on the same week they entered the war historically. This assumes an attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941.  USA units can be moved and attack upon entry.
b.   Most USA units enter in a port in England, or a port in North Africa.  If the entry location is still in Axis control, it defaults to their HQ location, or to a friendly controlled city using the standard existing entry rules in WWII-E.
11.   Russia (Number is TBD)
a.   The units available to Russia in September 1939 are placed in their historical locations and on the Axis side.   Russian units can be moved but cannot attack until the Axis captures a Polish city (new rule to be coded).  If/when Russia is attacked by the Axis (Axis unit captures a Russian city), then the Russian units available on June 22nd, 1941 will be placed on the map on the Allied side in their historical locations.  New Russian units are brought in on their historical turn and location, but rebuilds are modeled as replacement points to be used at the player discretion.  The Russian player can build 4-2-5 Tank Divisions and 3-2-5 Tank Brigades units until 1942. Starting in 1943, the Russian player can build or upgrade existing to 12-10-7 Tank Corps (T34) units and 14-12-7 Tank Corps (T34/85).  Starting in 1943, the Russian player can build 12-8-7 Mechanized Corps.  The Russian player can build 2-4-2 Rifle units at the start, and in 1943 can build or upgrade to 3-5-3 Rifle units.  The Russian player can build 3-3-6 Cavalry units throughout the war.  Building new non-historical divisions will be a new rule to be coded. Fighter and Bomber units can also be built new from mechanical replacement points.  The Russian player can upgrade any unit by one AF and one DF throughout the war, and is limited to 129 Rifle units and 50 Tank/Mech/Cavalry units.  This models the creation of Guards units from existing units, which augmented their Shtat (order of battle).

Axis Player units
1.   Germany (1002 units)
a.   The units available to Germany in September 1939 are placed in their historical locations.   German units can be moved and can attack on turn 1.  New German units are brought in on their historical turn and location, but rebuilds are modeled as replacement points to be used at the player discretion.  The German player can build 14-10-7 panzer units until 1942, and can then build or upgrade existing to 16-12-7 panzer units (Panthers & Tigers).  The German player can build 10-10-3 infantry divisions at the start, and can build 10-10-3 or 5-7-3 (Volksgrenadier) divisions starting in 1943.  The German player can build 8-8-7 Motorized divisions at the start, and can build 8-8-7 or 12-10-7 Panzergrenadier divisions starting in 1943.  Building new non-historical divisions will be a new rule to be coded. Fighter and Bomber units can also be built new from mechanical replacement points.
2.   Italy (208 units)
a.   The units available to Italy are brought in and placed in their historical locations on the same week they entered the war historically. Capture of Rome results in all Italian units being removed from the game which models surrender.
3.   Finland (40 units)
a.   The units available to the Finland are brought in and placed in their historical locations on the same week they entered the war historically. Capture of Helsinki results in all Finnish units being removed from the game which models surrender.
4.   Romania (35 units)
a.   The units available to the Romania are brought in and placed in their historical locations on the same week they entered the war historically. Capture of Bucharest results in all Romanian units being removed from the game which models surrender.
5.   Hungary (18 units)
a.   The units available to the Hungary are brought in and placed in their historical locations on the same week they entered the war historically.  Capture of Budapest results in all Hungarian units being removed from the game which models surrender.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Mere Nick

Re: WWII-Europe Campaign Scenario #102
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 08:21:33 PM »
It seems some of the options should not be available early in the war but become available as time progresses.  Just a thought. 
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Zovs

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 10:39:45 PM »
Good to hear Ron. Looking forward to the scenario/patch.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Started playing board war games around 1975 or so and computer war games around 1995 or so.

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt Games Developer
    • Schwerpunkt
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 03:14:39 PM »
Agree Mere Nick.  Plan to make these unit upgrades dependent on the year.  Will add that to the notes.
Today I am working on the Russian units. When that is complete, building the file gets a lot easier!

Happy Columbus Day!
Ron
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 03:18:03 PM »
Thank you for the update Ron.

I am looking forward to this  :thumbsup

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline ncc1701e

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 07:40:53 PM »
Hello Ron,

First time on this forum. I have a question regarding the campaign scenario. How will you simulate the strategic Air campaign that the Allies put in place in the West to destroy the factories?
Will it have an impact on the replacement points available to the Axis player?

Thanks
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Mere Nick

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 08:44:24 PM »
Agree Mere Nick.  Plan to make these unit upgrades dependent on the year.  Will add that to the notes.
Today I am working on the Russian units. When that is complete, building the file gets a lot easier!

Happy Columbus Day!
Ron

There's another thing I was thinking about, Ron.  It's always seemed that the Germans conquered France in 1940 by, well, cheating.  I'm curious how that works out in the game because I've played the Allies against the Germans and it always looks more like a WW1 meat grinder instead of how it really went because the Allies have a pretty good idea what the Germans are going to try to pull. 
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline ncc1701e

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 09:35:14 PM »

Happy Columbus Day!
Ron

There's another thing I was thinking about, Ron.  It's always seemed that the Germans conquered France in 1940 by, well, cheating.  I'm curious how that works out in the game because I've played the Allies against the Germans and it always looks more like a WW1 meat grinder instead of how it really went because the Allies have a pretty good idea what the Germans are going to try to pull.

Fall Gelb has always been complicated to simulate. The problem is that the Allies (UK/France) have the necessary troops to repulse the Germans. But, in 1940, French GQG and command and control were so obsolete that it led to a disaster. What a lot of French people consider now as a "Strange Defeat" (a famous book from Marc Bloch).

Replicating the Panzer breakthrough in the Ardennes and then the race to the sea is always challenging without restriction on C&C:
1. limit number of unit to move per turn for Allies for example
2. oblige the Allies to go in Belgium to go directly in a trap...

Cheers
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline sPzAbt653

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 10:04:48 PM »
Additionally, and in addition to other things, the map makes me think that an historical Fall Gelb is not possible, because as seen below there is no rail line from the Bastogne area to the west over the Meuse. Therefore, the German player can only supply a drive to the coast by clearing the Maginot Line from south of Luxembourg up along the Semois [I think that is actually the Cheir R.]  to Sedan, or by capturing Namur and Dinant and driving west from there.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline sPzAbt653

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 10:09:02 PM »
Looking at some maps, it might be appropriate to connect the rail lines by the black lines that are drawn in below. [The shot is from AGW, but WWII-E uses the same map].
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline sPzAbt653

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 10:26:51 PM »
For my opinion on the historical situation, for what it's worth - historically the French 7th Army contained some of it's better and mobile units and was stationed east of Paris and was the French Strategic Reserve. In early 1940 this entire formation was moved to northern France for political reasons [in order to show support for Belgium and the Netherlands]. Once the Germans saw this, they developed the Sickle Cut Plan to take advantage of the French deployment. When the battle started, the French 7th Army moved forward into Belgium while the Germans cut them off.

In any scenario, the Germans move first and therefore the French get to know their intentions. If a scenario designer wants to recreate history, the French 7th Army must start deployed forward in Belgium. However, doing this prevents the players from enjoying the What If's associated with freedom of movement. The solution for this game would seem to be two scenarios, one with Historical Deployment and one with freedom of movement.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Schwerpunkt Valencia

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 04:21:21 PM »
Hi Ron,

Hope there is progress with the new great game.

I was just wondering if you needed help for any of the present existing scenarios that need some corrections or small upgrades. If that is the case do not hesitate to contact me. I´ll be happy to help.

I was also wondering about some statements you previously did:

Axis Player units
1.   Germany (1002 units)
a.   The units available to Germany in September 1939 are placed in their historical locations.   German units can be moved and can attack on turn 1.  New German units are brought in on their historical turn and location, but rebuilds are modeled as replacement points to be used at the player discretion.  The German player can build 14-10-7 panzer units until 1942, and can then build or upgrade existing to 16-12-7 panzer units (Panthers & Tigers).  The German player can build 10-10-3 infantry divisions at the start, and can build 10-10-3 or 5-7-3 (Volksgrenadier) divisions starting in 1943.  The German player can build 8-8-7 Motorized divisions at the start, and can build 8-8-7 or 12-10-7 Panzergrenadier divisions starting in 1943.  Building new non-historical divisions will be a new rule to be coded. Fighter and Bomber units can also be built new from mechanical replacement points.

I thought that German panzer divisions were rather 18-14-7, infantry divisions were ranging from 13-13-3 to 14-14-3 and motorized divisions 12-12-7. Those factors you mentioned were in your previous game AGW. Is that correct ?

Kind regards

Schwerpunkt Valencia
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Zovs

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 03:51:42 PM »
Ron any status?

Its almost the middle of December. I know its the holidays but hope you have not forgotten us, few...
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Started playing board war games around 1975 or so and computer war games around 1995 or so.

Tags:

World War II Europe 1939-1945 Scenario list

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 9317
    Last post May 27, 2016, 03:27:20 PM
    by Asid
    Scenario 58 - 2nd Kharkov Battle

Started by pzgndr

Replies: 1
    Views: 4290
    Last post June 30, 2017, 02:12:56 PM