Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Matrix: World in Flames  (Read 4339 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Matrix: World in Flames
« on: February 02, 2019, 12:47:05 AM »
Matrix: World in Flames

Home page

World in Flames is Matrix Games’ computer version of Australian Design Group’s classic board game.  Covering both the European and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II, World in Flames is global in scope while simulating each branch of service in detail.  Land units are corps and army level, supplemented with specialized divisions.  Naval units include individual counters for every carrier, battleship, cruiser, and light cruiser in the war. Using 1000+ unique bitmapped images, air units represent groups of 250 to 500 airplanes.  With 6000+ unique units, 250+ countries, and a global map of 70,200 hexes, World in Flames is the premier World War II grand strategy game.

February 1, 2019 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF
Shannon V. OKeets (developer)

Program Development
Hot Patch version 02.09.05.00 was released in January. This was the last hot patch prior to version 03.00.00.00. The beta testers received versions 2.9.5.1, 2.9.5.3, 2.9.5.5, 2.9.5.7, and 2.9.5.9 in January.

The question of the month for January was: “When does due diligence become obsessive-compulsive behavior?”. Hence, ...

Two days ago I uploaded “NetPlay Ready”, version 03.00.00.00, for release by Matrix Games/Slitherine as an official update. Because of the additional testing they do in-house for an official update, and the publicity we want to produce for the NetPlay Ready! version, it will take 3 to 5 weeks before it will be available to customers. Partially that time is necessary to replace the copies of the game in the warehouse with disks containing the new version.

While version 03.00.00.00 (version 3) is being processed, I will halt work on changing the source code for World in Flames. Instead, I have made a complete copy of all the code (moving MWIF XE8 to MWIF 2019) and will work on getting the 2019 set of code to compile, build, and execute the same as the XE8 set of code. Why this change? It is because I want to start compiling and building the executable using the latest version of Delphi: 10 Berlin. Up until now I have been running Delphi XE8, which is from 2015 and was created to support Windows 10. Version XE8 is roughly 2 years out-of-date.

Delphi 10 Berlin has several upgrades to the Interactive Development Environment (IDE), and while I expect to use less than 5% of its “new and improved” features, it would be nice if they fixed some of the stuff that makes writing and editing the code problematic at times. I’ll find out about that once I start using it. This change in compilers also requires getting and installing the most recent auxiliary libraries I am using in MWIF. For example, the player interface makes heavy use of standard 3rd party library routines for screen display, mouse control, and keyboard responses.

It is always a pain to upgrade the IDE because it involves libraries/software from several different developers and making sure the newest versions from each of them still work together correctly. You might note that I have scheduled a full month to accomplish this objective. That is based on bitter past experience.

Should MWIF version 3 have problems, I will be able to continue making changes to that source code using Delphi XE8. Not having to maintain two sets of source code would be really nice, so I will do my best to not make any changes until I have Delphi 10 Berlin fully operational and generating a MWIF.exe that runs the same as the one created using Delphi XE8.

Bugs
My task lists are current through the end of January for bugs posted in Tech Support and by the beta testers in the World in Flames Development forum. For bug reports emailed to me (i.e., automatically generated by the Mad Except routines) I am am lagging somewhat behind.

In February I expect to halt work on fixing bugs unless they are “game stoppers”. For each of those I will have to decide if version 3 really/truly/absolutely needs to be modified.

Missing Optional Rules & Half Map Scenarios
I’ll return to working on these items in March. Hopefully I can complete them before June when I leave for a month’s vacation in Europe. If I can get Delphi 10 Berlin working before March 1st, then I’ll get an earlier start on this stuff.

AI Opponent (AIO)
Nothing new in January.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: Matrix: World in Flames
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 01:54:32 PM »

"The wait has been long, but the day has finally come. The truest PC adaptation of one of the most complex and realistic wargame ever made has received a tremendous update and this is not one to be taken lightly. Developers have worked very hard on it - constantly refining and testing it – to make it the most significant milestone for World in Flames since its original release in 2013.

Matrix Games is very proud to announce that the NetPlay Ready Update is now fully working and it is coming with a gargantuan list of changes!

You can download the update here

It is almost impossible to enumerate the vast number of improvements that have been made to the game since release. We have selected a few important features from this major update to give you a taste of all the goodies you’ll find in it:

-   NetPlay is fully working!  Now you can play World in Flames online against other players with all the assistance the computer adaptation can provide to your game.

-   As part of the major work to get NetPlay fully working, we added the ability of a player to review his NetPlay games off-line.  That is, without logging into the NetPlay Server, he can restore any saved NetPlay game using the new Review button (instead of the normal Restore button).

-   That brings up the game with all the usual capabilities - except advancing the sequence of play.  This lets the player check where his own and the enemy units are and what they are capable of doing in the near future.  It is especially useful for planning what to build at the end of the turn and assessing what reinforcements are going to enter the game next turn.

When the US enters the war, checking where all the Japanese and US carriers are and what air units they have aboard is important.  At all times, keeping an eye on enemy invasion units deserves some of a player's time.   During game play, while on-line with an opponent, a player can get distracted and forget to watch what is happening all over the map.  Reviewing a game between gaming sessions helps a player keep his bearings as to what just happened, what is happening, and what is about to happen.

-   As part of the thousands of additional improvements to World in Flames since release, it's important to note that the game now handles well many situations that only arise rarely and correctly implements cases where the rules interact in ways which the original board game design hadn't anticipated.  Relationships between countries that are at war with only some of the major powers and minor countries on the other side can affect supply lines and resource routing.  Even the placement of reinforcements on the map can be complex under some circumstances.   In the board game, interpreting the rules to resolve what is permitted depends on the players reaching an agreement - typically after a long and at times heated discussion. 

-   The program now does a much better job of figuring things out and acts as the final arbiter.  These conditions were rare and until they occurred and were reported to us by the players, they weren't always handled to everyone's satisfaction.  Now the ability to deal with obscure rule interactions covers a lot more ground, with the solutions based on thoughtful analysis - often provided by the original designer of World in Flames.  This gives players the best method yet to play World in Flames online with the rules enforced as the original board game design intended.

To celebrate this key milestone, World in Flames will be on sale for a week! From April 9th to April 16th you’ll have the chance to take this incredible wargame at 60% off! You cannot miss this chance!

Are you eager to try the full potential of the NetPlay Ready Update but you are still intimidated by the sheer amount of features? Fear no more! A highly detailed multiplayer AAR has been written, designed to illustrate all the characteristics and mechanics of the game in its current stage. This massive AAR will be divided into 7 chapters, guiding you through the hard choices the players had to take. We will post a chapter every day in the forum, so be sure to not miss any of it!

If you want to read Chapter 1, “Conquest of France”, click here!

Kudos to G and S for having created such an awesome AAR!

Stay tuned for the further chapters."
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 01:59:09 PM »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline SystemInShock

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 06:09:47 PM »

Yo, Asid.  Is this something you play?  I've watched this for years and it looks like it's close to where I'd want it to be before I bought it.  Any insight into this game?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
When in Danger, When in Doubt; run in circles, scream and shout.

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 11:38:25 PM »

Yo, Asid.  Is this something you play?  I've watched this for years and it looks like it's close to where I'd want it to be before I bought it.  Any insight into this game?

I remember when It first came out...So much promise....It has no AI yet. It might never have it so Netplay is a must for me...It however released without it...It is here now and I still have it. It has a lot of depth and will be something I will play against a human opponent.

I suggest you do some research to make sure it is something you might like.  :thumbsup
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline SystemInShock

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 11:43:56 PM »

I remember when It first came out...So much promise....It has no AI yet. It might never have it so Netplay is a must for me...It however released without it...It is here now and I still have it. It has a lot of depth and will be something I will play against a human opponent.

I suggest you do some research to make sure it is something you might like.  :thumbsup

Still no AI?  That means I'm still out.  That's disappointing.  I'm not much of an online player.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
When in Danger, When in Doubt; run in circles, scream and shout.

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 01:49:26 PM »
AAR NetPlay Ready - Chapter 2: German Conquests 1939

Chapter 2: German Conquests 1939

A typical sequence of events in MWIF is for Germany to conquer Poland and Denmark in the first turn (Sep/Oct 1939).  Then, pretty much despite the weather, conquer The Netherlands in the second turn (Nov/Dec 1939).  The conquest of Belgium usually waits until the German paratroop unit arrives in Mar/Apr 1940, turn #4.  The impulse following Germany’s DOW on Belgium, France often gets the opportunity to occupy four hexes in Belgium on the French border.  Although 3 of those 4 Belgian border hexes are clear terrain and vulnerable to blitz attacks by bombers and armored units, they provide another layer of hexes between the Germans and Paris.  Getting through them takes 2 or 3 Axis impulses with good die rolls.

This game did not follow that path.

Poland

The first screenshot (Figure 2-1) shows the position with Germany deciding about declarations of war at the beginning of the third impulse of the first turn.  G’s setup was a common solid defensive position for the Polish land units while the air units were placed out of harm’s way in far northeastern Poland.  The air units rebased to a neutral minor country during the second (Allied) impulse, thereby becoming ‘interned’.  That permanently removed them from the game, but gave the Commonwealth two additional pilot units arriving in Great Britain at the start of the second turn.

G placed four Polish corps in Lodz and Warsaw.  Because those cities contain factories, Poland is only conquered if Germany captures both of them.  Spreading out the other 3 corps, G placed a single corps north of Lodz/Warsaw, one in Poznan (two hexes west of Lodz), and one in Krakow.  The last corps was the 3-4 cavalry unit, which in the screenshot hasn’t moved from Krakow.  The sole divisional infantry unit he placed in the forest hex currently occupied by von Leeb.

To attack Lodz and Warsaw I prefer to have at least 3 adjacent hexes.  G’s setup prevented that.  So, during the first impulse of the game, I took out the corps north of the cities, the corps in Poznan, and the division.  Those attacks were certain victories and disorganized no German units.  Prior to those land moves and attacks, the German air force flew 4 ground strikes, 2 each on Lodz and Warsaw.  3 of the 4 Polish units in those cities were disorganized (as indicated by the small orange circles above the units).  That also accounts for the 4 disorganized German air units visible in the screenshot.  MWIF uses small colored circles around the units as status indicators.  The only other status indicators shown in this screenshot are the dark green ones above the HQ units, which indicate they are secondary supply sources.

While the first two impulses went about as expected, the bad weather roll at the start of the third impulse was painful for Germany.  The splatter of short black lines in hexes indicates Rain over most of the map.  The more numerous parallel black lines in the east indicate Storm.  In fine weather most hexes cost 1 movement point.  That cost is doubled in Rain and Storm.  Note the German units just south of Denmark.  Crossing a straits hexside (shown with red connecting arrows) costs an extra movement point for land units.  If Germany declares war on Denmark, Denmark is always devoid of land units.  The only land unit Denmark has is a reserve unit, which doesn’t arrive until the turn after the Axis declares war on it.  However, Germany wants to move immediately into Copenhagen and the two Danish minor ports.  Failing to do so would give the British the opportunity to reinforce those hexes, making the conquest of Denmark much more difficult.  The German units positioned to conquer Denmark have movement allowances of 4, 5, and 6 respectively.  Only two of them are needed to take out the ports and city.  But the weather has to be Fine for them to reach their destinations.  Hence, Germany did not declare war on Denmark in the third impulse.

Additionally, Rain makes movement for the German units in Poland more difficult.  Even worst, all the land attacks receive a -2 DRM (die roll modifier).  Also aggravating, the air units have their ground strike and ground support factors halved in Rain.  I decided on attacking just Lodz from 3 and a half hexes, with very good odds.  Sadly, a bad attack die roll only destroyed one Polish unit in Lodz, leaving the hex occupied by the other unit and remaining under Allied control.  The German HQs were able to reorganize all the German units disorganized by the failed attack.

Mercifully, after the Allies moved in impulse #5, the weather turned Fine again (impulse #7).  Still, attacking both Lodz and Warsaw wasn’t really feasible.  Those attacks could have been executed, but a failure of the attack on Warsaw would have made taking it out in the first turn impossible, since the German units would have been disorganized.  Instead I chose to just kill off the Polish unit in Lodz and prepare for an attack on Warsaw from 6 hexes in the following impulse.  In the meantime, the Fine weather meant that Germany declared war on Denmark and captured both minor ports and Copenhagen as planned.

The Netherlands

Alas, G’s die roll ended the first turn after his impulse (#8) - a 20% chance.  So Poland survived through to Nov/Dec 1939.  Subsequently, a Polish reserve reinforcement (6-3) was placed in Krakowice (Figure 2-2).  That was possible because the Polish cavalry corps had scurried to that hex during G’s final land movement phase of the first turn.  G had also had the USSR claim Eastern Poland and the Baltic States (Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia) as shown in the screenshot.  The flags in the hexes indicate which are held by Germany, the USSR, and the Commonwealth.  No flag means the country controlling the hex is neutral (e.g., Belgium).

Now we pick up the action at the start of the second turn (Nov/Dec 1939).  Since the Axis won the initiative (yaa!), chose to move first (obviously), and then the weather was Fine (yaa!), Germany declared war on The Netherlands.  The German units lined up on the border with the Netherlands are mostly the reserve units that Germany placed on the map when France and the Commonwealth declared war on Germany at the start of the second impulse of the first turn.  Their placement was planned for just this situation. 

Happily for the Axis, the Commonwealth has their naval transports in the Mediterranean and unable to reach the North Sea.  What this means is that it will be impossible for the Allies to send a land unit to help The Netherlands.  Usually, the Commonwealth keeps at least one transport available specifically for that task.  Then, even if Germany captures Amsterdam, the Commonwealth can land one or more units in Rotterdam.  Holding Rotterdam is very helpful for protecting Belgium.  It is also a very strong defensive hex with rivers on the two hexsides through which the Germans would have to attack.

In the game, Germany easily captured Amsterdam then occupied Rotterdam in the next Axis impulse.

Note that Germany conquered Denmark last turn and all the Danish hexes are now controlled by Germany.  In Poland, Germany will attack and capture Warsaw - finally.  In southern Poland, the 9 combat factors in Krakowice are a bit too much to take on right now.  G used those two units to annoy me for the rest of the turn.  But the main focus of the German army turns to the Lowland countries.  That means that most of the German units, both land and air, headed west.

Belgium

After the bad luck in the first turn, the Axis was more than compensated by good luck in the second turn.  Figure 2-3 shows the position at the German DOW phase of the 11th impulse of the second turn.  The weather is Fine.  To reach this state, the Axis had to have several more good land movement weather rolls: Fine or Snow.  Taking advantage of that, the mass of the German army, accompanied by the air force,  has moved from Poland to the Belgian border.  Then the weather turned Fine for the 11th impulse, letting Germany declare war on Belgium with certainty of success.

As mentioned earlier, a German paratroop would be very helpful here.  But it doesn’t arrive for two more turns.  Given the sunny skies and eager troops in their jump off positions, taking out Belgium this early in the game couldn’t be resisted.  G has three Belgian land units to place anywhere in Belgium.  He chose one of the best setups for them: the 3-5 cavalry in Liege and the other two corps in Antwerp.  Belgian and French zones of control into adjacent hexes prevented the Germans from reaching Brussels.  This is where the paratroop unit would have been a big help.

Regardless, the benefit of the rivers for defense evaporates during the surprise impulse following a declaration of war.  So Germany has two attack hexes on Antwerp plus 4 on Liege.  The air unit tactical factors are doubled during the surprise impulse, and Belgium’s allies are unable to fly air missions to support them.  A good land combat die roll on Antwerp wiped out the Belgian defenders.  That was followed by the Axis ending the turn (50% chance) and going first the next turn (Jan/Feb 1940).  Moving first enabled the Germans to occupy all of Belgium.  It fell at the end of the third turn.  This achieved all that the Axis could have hoped for in Jan/Feb 1940.  The rest of the third turn was boring.  The weather was bad with the impulse number advancing by 2 or 3, making the turn quite short.

Yugoslavia

If you look over to the southeast on the screenshot, you will see that both Hungary and Yugoslavia have entered the war.  Italy, although not at war with France or the Commonwealth, is at war with Yugoslavia.  All of this came about because of the two annoying Polish units that survived the first turn.  In order to protect Vienna and Bratislava, I had to align Hungary to Germany.  But that wasn’t permitted unless Germany was at war with Yugoslavia.  While trying to prevent the Poles (and the Yugoslavians) from taking out German cities, and concurrently preventing dangerous Allied counterattacks, the Axis forces are poorly positioned in Austria and Czechoslovakia.  Poland will be conquered at the end of the turn, which will remove the last two Polish units from the map.  Until then, they needed careful monitoring.  MWIF is never easy - even with mostly good die rolls.

Conclusion

The Germans were able to conquer Denmark on schedule in Sep/Oct 1939.  But the conquest of Poland was delayed until Nov/Dec 1939.  That persuaded Germany (and Italy) to declare war on Yugoslavia and then align Hungary.  All of which was helpful for the Allied cause.  In recompense, the gods of chance had the second turn run long with good weather, letting the Germans conquer both The Netherlands and Belgium in 1939.  As a coup de gras for the Lowlands, the Axis ended the second turn at the best possible time and moved first in the third turn (Jan/Feb 1940), thereby occupying all of Belgium.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 12:06:54 PM »
AAR NetPlay Ready - Chapter 3: Production

Chapter 3   Production

In this post I want to give some insight into the decisions I made to produce the Germany army and air forces that fought in 1940 and 1941 in Europe.  Getting this right was crucial for the Axis success in both western Europe and later against the Soviet Union.

German Production Choices (by S)

The top of Figure 3-1 shows the armor, mechanized, and motorized units available for Germany to build in 1939 and 1940.  The hexagon in the bottom of the figure shows the time required and build point cost for each type of land and air unit.

When considering which units to build, I visualize this hexagon.  The winter turns are at the top: Nov/Dec and Jan/Feb.  The summer turns are at the bottom: May/June and July/Aug.  The spring turn is on the right and the autumn turn on the left.  In the picture, the list of units to arrive as reinforcements for each turn are positioned based on the current turn being Sept/Oct.  If Germany builds a Militia unit at the end of the Sept/Oct 1939 turn, then it arrives as a reinforcement at the beginning of Nov/Dec 1939.  Militia cost 2 build points and take 1 turn.  Regular infantry corps cost 3 build points and take 2 turns.  Thus, they arrive in Jan/Feb when built in Sept/Oct.  The long list of unit types shown for Mar/Apr take 3 turns to arrive.

For building units other than in Sept/Oct. you only have to rotate the list of units.  Units that take 3 turns (e.g., mountain) always come in on the opposite side of the hexagon.  So, building a mechanized unit in Jan/Feb means it will arrive at the start of July/Aug.  Besides worrying about the cost of each unit, and how long before it will arrive on the map, production also has gearing limit restrictions.  You can only build one more unit of a gearing ‘class’ than you built in the previous turn.  Armor and mechanized units are in the armored class.  If you build one armor unit in Sept/Oct, you will be permitted to build no more than 2 in Nov/Dec.  This all gets rather complicated, especially when the enemy is bombing your factories and thereby reducing the number of build points that you have available at the end of the turn.  Plan ahead, then expect to have those plans thrown out the window (e.g., from wind gusts caused by falling bombs).

Getting back to the top of the picture, choosing whether to build armor, mechanized, and motorized units is important for Germany.  Armor is best, but costs more and takes longer.  Motorized is cheapest, but doesn’t have the same benefits as the other two unit types.  Operationally, having armor in an attack often lets the owner choose whether the attack is resolved on the Assault combat results table (CRT) or on the Blitz CRT.  Usually the Blitz table favors the attacker.  To be specific, the Blitz table gives the attacker a die roll modifier (DRM) of +1 for each armor of mechanized corps/divison in the attack.  Put together a group of those unit types and good attack odds are almost certain. 

Motorized units do not contribute to the DRM.  But of great importance, that unit type can take any required first loss in lieu of an armor or mechanized unit being the casualty.  Like armor and mechanized, motorized can also advance two hexes if the combat result is a B (Blitz!).  In combination, these three unit types work very well blitzing across clear terrain in fine weather.

Some of the listed units are corps (three or four x’s across the top of the unit symbol), while others are divisions (two x’s).  Divisions cost less to build (the hexagon only shows the cost for corps sized units).  Divisions are useful because only two corps can be placed in a hex.  A division can be added as a third unit - beefing up the total attack factors in the hex.  It can also take a loss in place of a corps unit.  Alongside each of the listed units is the unit’s current location.  Some are on the map.  Some are already in production.  And some are in the Force Pool, available to be built in Jan/Feb 1940.

German Reinforcements 1940 and early 1941

Figure 3-2 shows all the reinforcements Germany received in our game for 1940 and the first half of 1941.  Counting backwards based on how long it takes to build each unit type, you can figure out what Germany built when.

In Jan/Feb 1940, most of the units are minor country reserve units which were placed into production at zero cost.  Likewise the Rumanian tactical air unit is arriving because Rumania entered the war the previous turn.  The only units in this upper left list that Germany spent build points producing are the Stettin Militia and the pilot.

The big turn for German reinforcements is May/June 1940.  Two mechanized corps, an armor HQ, and three good air units come in.  Best of all, they can be placed directly in west German cities where they can help with the attack on France.  In July/August 1940, two more mechanized units arrive.  I had planned on them helping out in the conquest of France, but by then France had fallen.  Instead I brought them in in southeastern Germany and to help conquer Yugoslavia.

In the middle rows of this picture, the count of reserve pilots and offensive chits are shown for each turn.  You can see that Germany had two offensive chits but spent one in May/June 1940.  Thereafter they only had one - being saved for the Barbarossa campaign against the USSR in 1941.  Pilots in the reserve pool fluctuated from turn to turn, dropping to zero starting in July/Aug 1940.  However, you can see that more pilots kept arriving.  Most of those were built, some were the result of air combat losses (the plane was shot down but the pilot survived), and a few came in because I voluntarily removed an air unit from the map.  Removing an air unit gains the owner a pilot in reserve while simultaneously the air unit goes into the Reserve Pool.  The list of units in the bottom of the picture show which air units Germany had in reserve each turn.

For each air unit that arrives as a reinforcement, the owner decides whether to give it a pilot so it can be placed on the map, or whether it should simply go into reserve.  All three fighters in reserve in Jan/Feb 1940 got pilots and were placed on the map.  The JU 52 was left in reserve for the first turn of 1940, but got a pilot assigned in Mar/Apr.  That was so it could join the paratroop unit that arrived that turn.  Together they threatened to perform a paradrop on the French.  That never happened, but I considered doing it every Axis impulse.  I’ll leave it to you to examine the due-to-arrive forces Germany will have on the map come May/June 1941, for the invasion of the USSR.

Allied Production Choices (by G)

In some ways the Allies have more difficulty planning their production for Europe, mainly because the Commonwealth (and the USA) need to build up their navies.  That includes naval transports, amphibious units, and a stockpile of convoys to keep resources flowing into the United Kingdom from around the world. 

France is the easiest for which to plan production simply because they don’t have a lot a build points, not a very wide range of choices in their force pool, and they are just trying to protect Paris for as long as possible.  That means building land units to arrive before May/June 1940, and perhaps another fighter.

In the short term, the Commonwealth has to worry about building convoys, carrier planes, and accompanying pilots.  While Germany is all about making sure it has the maximum offensive units for May/June 1940 and then again May/June 1941, the Commonwealth’s production plan is for the long term. That’s also true for the USA.  Building a ship takes 2 years.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 12:08:40 PM »
AAR NetPlay Ready - Chapter 4: Greece and Yugoslavia

Chapter 4   Greece & Yugoslavia

Conquest of Greece

The Commonwealth starts the war with a good navy, some land units, and a scattershot of air units.  For the air units, the Allied player has to decide whether to assign pilots to carrier air, fighters, naval air, tactical bombers, or strategic bombers.  Even with the two extra pilots G got from interning the Polish air units, he still had too few pilots.  Therefore some Commonwealth air units had to be placed in reserve.  Over the course of the war the Commonwealth can build more units to supplement its starting forces.  The selection from which to choose is wide and the available build points never enough.

Depending on how the Allied player sees the future year of the war going, he can build land units, air units, pilots, or naval units.  Since G planned on using strategic bombing to reduce the number of build points generated by the European Axis factories, strategic bombers were on his wish list.  So were pilots.  G also likes to use the Commonwealth carriers against the Italians, meaning more pilots needed to be built.  Like most players of war games, he likes to pick on the weakest opponent - the Italians in this case.

G notes: An important goal for the Commonwealth in 1940 is to take out as many Italian ships as possible to protect the Med and help conquer North Africa.  Keep in mind that the Commonwealth needs to move ships in late 1941 and 1942 to counter the Japanese in the Pacific.  So taking out the Italian navy before then is crucial.  If the Italian player keeps his ships in port then Commonwealth carrier planes need to fly port strikes. The 3 naval factor carrier planes should come in separate waves, 1 at a time each impulse, to hopefully get through the AA and fighter interceptions. Port strikes are all about the surprise rolls each side gets.

The biggest decision for the Commonwealth is where to deploy their land units.  The choices range from Norway and Denmark in the north, to support in France and the Lowlands, to the Balkans, and down to North Africa.  There are also demands for units to defend the United Kingdom from German invasion, and to garrison India, Burma, and Malaysia against partisans.  Since land units can arrive in any Commonwealth home country, naval transports are needed to pick up new reinforcements from Canada, South Africa, India, Australia, New Zealand, and any of the Commonwealth controlled minor countries around the globe (where territorial units may arrive).  Dragging land (and air) units across the oceans to the combat zones takes planning - and remembering to execute those plans.

One crucial decision is what to do with the 2 HQ units with which the Commonwealth starts the game.  One is in the United Kingdom, and G took him across the English Channel to help out France.  The other HQ starts in Egypt.  He could have been sent to France for additional support.  Or he could have led a charge through Libya, heading to Tripoli (an Objective city in the game).  G decided to have the second HQ spearhead an invasion of Greece.  Athens is also an Objective city, as indicated by having its name in Red.

G notes: The decision to attack Greece was very risky, but had several advantages.  If the Allies can land 4 corps in Greece AND take Athens, then Yugoslavia aligns with the Allies.  Aligning Yugoslavia  with the Allies in early 1940 causes problems for the Axis when they are concurrently attacking France.  The Axis always has a hard time helping Greece while Yugoslavia and Bulgaria are neutral.  The other nice benefit is that Athens is a victory city and once the Allies are in Greece, it is very hard for the Axis to push them out.  I should add that this encourages the Italian navy to sortie to assist Greece, giving the Commonwealth the opportunity to sink Italian ships at sea.   Weather in the Med has a better chance of being clear during the winter months than in France and Poland.   That provides the best possible weather for land attacks in Greece.

Figure 4-1 shows Greece prior to begin invaded in Nov/Dec 1939.  The first wave of invaders were the divisional units.  Because we were playing with the optional Amphibious rule, sea-borne invasions could only be performed by: (1) marine corps aboard transports or amphibious units, (2) infantry corps aboard amphibious units, and (3) divisional infantry units aboard a surface ship (e.g., a battleship or a cruiser).  The Commonwealth has no marines and no amphibious units.  That means until those units were built and arrived as reinforcements, infantry divisions had to perform all sea-borne invasions of enemy controlled hexes.  Actually, paratroop units could do airborne invasions, but alas, the Commonwealth doesn’t have any of those units at the start of the war either.

Both France and the Commonwealth declared war on Greece, which chose to align with Germany.  The Commonwealth 1-4 division in the Eastern Mediterranean and the French 1-3 division in the Italian Coast are threatening to invade.  The Axis has two Greek corps to place on the map.  One of them is a mountain unit, whose defensive strength in a mountain hex is tripled (the defensive strength of regular infantry units in mountain hexes is only doubled).  Take note of the other Commonwealth naval units in the Eastern Med  3 section box (that’s where the HQ Wavell is).  They have a lot of shore bombardment factors.  Once the land units get into position to attack Athens, the shore bombardment factors can almost double the total attack factors.

Figure 4-2 shows the progress of the invasion of Greece.  The time line begins in the top left, goes across the top, switches to the bottom left, and goes across the bottom.

I placed the Greek defenders to hold Athens and Peloponnesos.  Once the Allies capture Athens, Greece will be conquered and their land units removed from the game.  Getting corps units ashore is very difficult.  Unless they are invading, they can only land in friendly ports or in a hex occupied by a friendly HQ.  Every hex in Greece has a notional defending unit worth 1 combat factor.  That is reduced by 1 during the surprise impulse.  It is increased by 1 if the hex is a city or if the hex is in the zone of control (ZOC) of a friendly corps sized unit. 

The positions of the Greek corps in the upper left screenshot exert ZOCs into Patras and Kalamai.  Those ports have a notional value of 1 (i.e., 1 + 1 - 1).  Since Salonica is a city, it also has a notional value of 1.  On the other hand, most of the Greek coastal hexes have a defensive value of zero during the surprise impulse.  That makes them easy pickings for the Allied divisions.  A defense of zero means certain success for any invader.  Invading takes all of a unit’s movement points - they stop in the invasion hex and can’t move until the next friendly impulse.

In the top center screenshot you can see that the Greek mountain unit moved to help defend Athens from the north.  Meanwhile the Commonwealth landed 3 corps, including the HQ.  The British divisional unit first moved into Salonica to make it Allied controlled.  That let the two motorized corps land there.  In the top right, the two opposing sides met.  Note that some of the Allied units are disorganized (orange status indicator), caused by moving into mountain terrain during Rain.

By the time Jan/Feb 1940 rolled around, the Greeks had gotten their reserve unit reinforcement and placed it in Athens.  That’s shown in the lower left.  They also moved the 4-3 Inf alongside the 4-4 mountain unit.  The extra exertion to reach that hex disorganized the 4-3.  What happened to the British 6-5 motorized unit?  It broke down (voluntarily) into the 1-5 and 2-5 motorized divisions at the end of the Nov/Dec 1939 turn.  The Jan/Feb 1940 turn was extremely short.  The Axis moved first, the Allies moved, then the Axis moved and ended the turn (10% probability).  3 impulses total!

So we advance to Mar/Apr 1940 in the center bottom screenshot.  The Allied divisional units are filtering around the Greek western flank.  In particular, the French division changed control of Patras from Axis to Allied.  By the end of the turn, the Commonwealth had landed a 7-3 Inf in Patras.  That threatened to attack Athens in the next Allied impulse.  Although there would only be two British attacking units (the 7-3 and the 1-4), their attack factors of 8 would be doubled by shore bombardment and possibly even more by  air ground support.  The little 3-2 Greek militia unit might be swept out to sea!  Having just one defender in a hex is never good.  It isn’t that hard to kill off a single defender and capture a hex.

Advancing to May/June 1940, as shown in Figure 4-3 (top left screenshot), the Greeks have pulled back so two units are in Athens.  In the top right screenshot you can see the result of the attack the Commonwealth launched on Athens.  It did not go well despite having a 64% chance of success.  The Greeks lost the 3-2 militia and the Commonwealth lost the 2-5 motorized.  In the bottom left screenshot the Greeks have pulled back both their corps into Athens.  That meant there wasn’t room for the 3-2 Militia unit to arrive as a reinforcement.  But 8 defensive factors is better than 7.  Regardless, by the end of May/Jun 1940, the Commonwealth had taken Athens.  The screenshot in the lower right shows the conquest of Greece.  Some British units have returned to Salonica to stave off the Germans soon to descend through southern Yugoslavia.  The conquest of Yugoslavia is next.

Conquest of Yugoslavia

As mentioned in a previous post, Germany felt compelled to declare war on Yugoslavia so it could align Hungary.  That let it bring in the Hungarian units and halt the wanderlust of the Polish units.  As shown in Figure 4-4, G chose to place the Yugoslavian units one to a hex.    He says: This is a cheap trick but a single unit can cause a lot of havoc if not taken out.

Partly that was to leave room in the cities for the impending reinforcements - as shown having arrived in Figure 4-5.  By then Germany had also aligned Rumania and brought down some of the excess German units in Poland.  Italy is also drifting over some corps units.  Moving motorized and mechanized units through the mountains costs 3 movement points per hex in Fine and Snow weather.  Other weather doubles the cost.  It takes time for the Italians to move adjacent to Zagreb, their target destination.  I should add that aligning Rumania in 1939 was a big mistake on my part.  If I had delayed that action until 1940, the Axis would have gotten the Rumanian HQ and an air unit, with pilot, as reinforcements at zero cost.  Building them later cost 9 build points.  The slight offset was the Rumanian ZOC prevented the Commonwealth from using a resource point for production.  Nevertheless, the early alignment was a terrible decision. 

Figure 4-6 shows the Axis beginning to surround Zagreb and Belgrade .  Each of those cities contains a factory so they both have to be captured to conquer Yugoslavia.  This is similar to Poland.  Leaving single Yugoslavian units alone in a hex is dangerous for the Allies.  The Germans can build up a pretty fierce attack against single units which have 4 or less combat factors. 

In Figure 4-7 the Axis has pulled closer to the cities, despite the previous impulses bad weather.  By late in Mar/Apr 1940 (impulse #10) the Allies have brought air units into Yugoslavia.  Mostly they are positioned there to perform strategic bombing missions against German factories.  In combination with strategic bombers flying out of England, virtually every German held factory and oil resource needs fighter protection.  That’s from Lille to Stettin to Lodz to Vienna to Ploesti.  G says: Another reason to take Greece is the threat to the Rumanian oil by the Allied bombers.

Figure 4-8 shows the noose tightening on Zagreb.  Paris has just fallen and the Germans have started rebasing bombers - the Stuka Ju 87D is within range of Zagreb.  By the first impulse of July/Aug 1940, (Figure 4-9), Zagreb has fallen.  The Germans were able to rail the von Bock HQ into Rumania before the May/June turn ended.  Then he was reorganized at the end of the turn and be available for the attack on Belgrade .  As is my normal practice, I took my time attacking the two Yugoslavian factory cities, taking one per impulse and making sure the attack odds were overwhelming.  The Axis can’t afford losses if they are going to have enough units for the USSR.

G says: If France had held out longer [e.g., by not having two “end the turn then start the next turn” by the Axis], the Yugoslavian battle would have been harder for the Axis.  With the Allies coming up through Greece, it would have been an interesting “Churchill” Balkan scenario.  The first “end the turn then start the next turn” occurred in Nov/Dec 1939 to Jan/Feb 1940 letting Germany conquer and occupy all of Belgium.  The second occurred in Mar/Apr 1940 to May/June 1940, letting Germany rocket into France and move adjacent to Paris.

Lastly, Figure 4-10 shows Belgrade taken and the Germans threatening to liberate Greece.  In reality, I had no intention of fighting through to recapture Athens.  The British navy was too strong.  We were playing with defensive shore bombardment, so a couple of Commonwealth units in Athens would have been doubled.  Again, I did not want to lose any German units.

Conclusion

As happened historically, the Balkans were a sideshow.  In this case the Allies held onto Athens (an objective city and a victory point).  But a couple of Axis units positioned north of Athens discouraged the Allies from venturing any farther.  Yugoslavia fell on schedule, giving the Axis time to move the units fighting there east and up to the Rumania-Russia border.  In the long run, the Yugoslavian and Greek resources added to the German build point total every turn thereafter.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Making History: The Second World War

Started by Asid

Replies: 16
    Views: 11131
    Last post June 17, 2018, 10:46:55 PM
    by Asid
    Flames of War & Saga – Milan Tournament – 43 players under the same roof!

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 2010
    Last post February 21, 2022, 11:01:49 PM
    by Asid
    Matrix Steam sale

Started by Asid

Replies: 4
    Views: 3582
    Last post June 24, 2017, 12:11:05 AM
    by Asid
    Join Matrix/Slitherine for Tea Time.