Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: VRS F/A-18F Rhino  (Read 4135 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
VRS F/A-18F Rhino
« on: April 13, 2019, 12:55:06 AM »
VRS F/A-18F Rhino Update 10/04/19

VRS Varmint
Developer

"You have been good, and our apologies for the lack of updates. Fact is, we had to shift resources to other projects for the time being. Jamal is still working on the VC, and when it's complete, I'll resume texturing. Most of the external model is complete and textured, but I still want to look into PBR stuff for P3D.

It would help tremendously if we had a pro texture artist on hand to do this stuff so I didn't have to, but it's probably not realistic to expect one to drop into our lap. There are lots of re-painters out there, but that's not quite the same thing as a qualified texture artist that can work with 4 and 8K files, has a background in aircraft modeling and/or other technical modeling, works in 3DS max, and has experience with tools like Substance Painter.

If anyone knows one, please be sure to have them contact us and with a portfolio and we'll definitely see about getting them some work on this and other projects. "

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Reds

Re: VRS F/A-18F Rhino
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 12:07:13 AM »
Wow looks amazing ! Cant believe I'm excited looking at front landing gear .
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 12:44:40 AM »
VRS Rhino now Preordering!
Fri Feb 14, 2020

by VRS Varmint (dev)

For those who may be interested, we are now taking preorders for VRS Rhino for P3D v4!

The Rhino will be released first for P3D v4+, followed by FS2020. Because FS2020 will require completely re-written avionics, and likely significant changes and/or additions to existing materials, we estimate the FS2020 version may be in development until well into 2021 and we are not yet prepared open orders for the 2020 version until we have a better handle on the timeline.

This preorder is for P3D v4 ONLY and requires TacPack for P3D v4. As with our previous releases, P3D and FS2020 versions will be licensed and sold separately. FSX will not be supported by Rhino.

Preorders are available for $54.99 (reg $64.99). Rhino for P3D is expected to release in late December, 2020. We will continue to update the media section of the Rhino product page as development continues. At this stage both external and internal models are model-complete with VC texturing to begin immediately. We will endeavor to be proactive about updating the media as we progress, but please understand that time spent preparing screenshots is time NOT spent preparing the product!

Again, I want to thank everyone for your extreme patience on this one, but I think it'll be worth the wait!

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 12:00:17 AM »
Update on late December, 2020 release
Wed Nov 25, 2020

Posted by VRS Varmint (developer)

Highly unlikely wouldn't even be the right phrase unfortunately. More like "no freaking way." I hope my "excuse" will be worth something as I definitely owe people an explanation, so it's probably time to get it over with...

In a nutshell, COVID really put the kibosh on the time line and here's why: I have a daughter with a genetic disorder called Angelman Syndrome. There is a trial going on right now with Roche for an actual cure in the form of a series of spinal injections that activate a normally dormant paternal gene that will produce a protein that her brain needs to function normally. We were fortunate enough to get in the trial, but it's taking place 1000 miles from where we live here in Spokane. The catch is that due to COVID, we can't fly, because my daughter will not wear a mask and the airlines don't make any exceptions. So we've had to rent a place in San Diego at great cost for several months and I've been flying back and forth.

I'm working as much as I can (primarily doing what I can on my laptop), but this is going to add another 3 months minimum to my estimates. To be honest we really didn't sell many preorders, but If anyone would like to be refunded, I'm happy to do it (just email support and request it). However I will say that the pre-order discount will definitely be worth it, so if you can hang in there I think you'll win either way.

Hope it helps!

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 04:22:17 AM »
Update 08 Dec 2020

Posted by VRS Varmint (developer)

It's going to be at least 3 more months, possibly more. Good news is, we're really stepping up the game on this graphically. Here's another teaser pic of the (near) final ejection seat completed a many weeks ago now. This is a single 4K texture sheet. We'll see where we are with the rest of the VC and probably have to do some tweaking in terms of the logistics of the texture allocations, but this time all the masters are going to be in 8K so we can go up or down as needed.

I'm well into the VC and while all the modeling is complete thanks to Jamal's fine work, I've had to do some optimizations and quite a bit of prep for moving the geometry into Substance Painter. I'm in the end-stages of that process now and will post more as I begin to make acceptable looking progress in the actual texturing phase.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags: