Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Reentry - An Orbital Simulator  (Read 36143 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: Reentry - An Orbital Simulator
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2023, 12:48:49 AM »
The Journey Towards 2.0
14 Jue 2023

On June 18th I will have a presentation where I will talk about the future of Reentry - An Orbital Simulator. I will talk about the current state of the game and what to expect for version 1.0, and announce some new features coming to the game as part of the journey to version 2.0.

Upcoming Event Starts Sun, 18 June 2023
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2023, 12:40:35 AM »
Update 0.9999 is out! - Unity Engine Update (major), Versioning, Bug Fixes
Wed, 16 August 2023

I just released a new patch where I have updated the Unity rendering engine version from the previous 2021 LTS (Long Term Support) version to the latest released 2022 LTS that was recently released. This update also includes patch fixes.

Note: If you are experiencing issues with this build you can roll back to the previous using the Steam Betas Tab accessible from the Steam client (games properties). The previous version can be found under the Reentry Version 0.99.RC10 branch.

Versioning

The current version of the game (0.9999.EA - zero point niner niner niner niner point echo alpha) has mostly been a joke with the community. However, I'm happy to announce that this is the final version of the game that will be using this versioning system. The next patch will roll out a new system that will follow a MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH.REL pattern, for example 0.99.1234.EA

Major Rendering Engine Update: 2021.3 to 2022.3

This is a major update as the main version of the Unity rendering engine used in the game is updated. Testing has been good so far but due to the big change, undetected issues might arise. I have spend a lot of time testing the sim, and it has been public on the alpha floor branch for the last two weeks. However, this is a massive project so please let me know if you experience something strange that used to work but no longer does.

Blocking fixes:

Some of you have reported issues with the game not launching. The update to the latest LTS version of Unity might fix this for some, but I made some good progress on finding the source based on a couple of the logs I have received. This has been related to corrupt or blank game storage files. I wrote a fix and hopefully it will fix the launch issues that some of you are experiencing.

This patch also fixes an issue where players are unable to complete the CSM Optics Academy lesson due to a problematic switch after the change of the Optics panels in the Lower Equipment Bay (LEB). This has been fixed.

Patch Notes

Major unity rendering engine update: 2021.3 to 2022.3
    MOCR: SPS burn planner shows plan with nmi alt
    Reentry crashing on start (CTD when launching from Steam) fixes
    Apollo CMC Optics lesson fixes
    Apollo CMC Optics panel updates
    Gemini 220 rigid cmd fixes
    Gemini undocking improvements

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2023, 12:39:14 PM »
Versioning update: 0.99.1.EA
Tue, 26 September 2023

This patch will update the versioning system of the game.

The new versioning system will move away from the sequential numbering system to something that follows this pattern:
[MAJOR].[MINOR].[PATCH].[BUILD]

The current build will be:
0.99.1.EA

This means that the games major version is still 0, the minor version is 99 and the patch version is 001. The build is EA, while future alpha builds will use alpha.

The game has been in a code-freeze since the last patch that contained a major engine update. As this was a significant change that required me to rewire a lot of the logic and make changes to support the latest LTS version of Unity, I wanted to leave the version live to ensure it worked well and gather your feedback/experience reports.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2023, 12:02:18 AM »
Update 0.99.2 is out! - Typos, mission patches and Mercury VR joystick
Sat, 30 September 2023

Reentry has been patched to 0.99.2, with the main focus on fixing the issues and content pull requests contributed by the community at the games GitHub.

Almost 100 issues and Pull Requests has been addressed and merged into the game and the games flight manuals. This means that multiple missions has been patched to correct bugs, typos, structure and logic.

I have exported the latest versions of the manuals, all available in-game (Academy, or SHIFT+M in cockpit) or on the games web page.

I have corrected issues related to the Mercury save state logic, and applied a patch that saves the notes you have made in the Mission Pad in all programs (Mercury, Gemini, Apollo).

This patch rolls out the new VR enabled attitude control stick in Mercury. To use it, move the controller on it, press the Grab button and hold it in, while you tilt the controller forward/back for pitch, left/right for yaw and twist it for roll. A later iteration will also take into account the hand movement to ease the work on the wrist, but this is a start.
In addition, I have started to implement grabbable objects. You can test this by moving your hand into the Audio Recorder (toggle using bubble buttons) and pressing+holding the grab button. Releasing the grab button will release the player as well.

Fixed community reported typos in all flight manuals
    Fixed community reported typos in academy
    Fixed community reported typos in campaigns
    Fixed typos in Apollo CSM panels
    Fixed reported typos in player.log
    Updated all flight manuals in-game and on web page
    Mercury Load State logic fixes
    Mission Pad Notes stored in save states
    Mercury VR: Attitude Control Stick VR enabled
    Mercury VR: First grabbable object implemented (Audio Player)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2023, 12:55:42 AM »
Dev Update: Project Apollo VR [WIP]
Sun, 15 October 2023

Hi!
As you probably know, the old Virtual Reality implementation was depreciated and moved to a dedicated stale branch accessible from the Steam Betas tab ("Virtual Reality"). The first VR implementation was a learning project where I would take the learnings and create an improved implementation.

The new implementation is a post 1.0 feature, but development was started during various code freezes. The fundament of the Mercury and Gemini bits are available in the public release as an alpha-feature that can be toggled from the Main Menu.

I wanted to take this moment to share a low key direct recording as I interact with some of the new mechanics that will become available in a later patch.

I hope you will like some of these new features, and I look forward to sharing the bits with you.

- Petri

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2023, 12:10:57 AM »
Update 0.99.7 is out! - Project Apollo VR (PT-4), Gemini updates
Mon, 16 October 2023

This patch will roll out the first bits of the Apollo VR implementation. This will let you experience the Apollo Command Module and the Lunar Module in VR. It will also release some other fixes.

This video will show some of the new features:

In this video I will show you how the new VR implementation for Apollo looks like in Reentry - An Orbital Simulator: https://store.steampowered.com/app/882140/Reentry__An_Orbital_Simulator/ The...

Note: If you are experiencing issues with this build you can roll back to the previous using the Steam Betas Tab accessible from the Steam client (games properties). The previous version can be found under the Reentry Version 0.99.RC11 branch.

Apollo VR

The aim of PT-4 and the first iterations of Apollo VR is let you complete most of the missions and academy lessons, except for Lunar EVAs. I have been working hard on both rendering methods and mechanics to be able to render the Apollo Command Module and the Lunar Module in VR. This has been an extremely challenging task, but I'm very happy to be able to share the first bits with you. With the current bits I have been trying missions from the pad to a lunar landing, and created a simple implementation of the tools required to request burns, TLI, PDI, Lunar Ascent and TEI.

Read on: https://steamcommunity.com/games/882140/announcements/detail/6043326076342127332

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2023, 12:05:58 AM »
Reentry has been patched to 0.99.11
Fri, 3 November 2023

This minor patch will continue to improve the logic related to how the voltage of the CSM batteries are rendered. This will take into account the amps load on the battery as well as the depletion of the battery when you monitor them using the DC VOLTs gauge on MDC-3.

It will also fix the runnable steps of the Battery Charging procedure. In the video I made yesterday, I opened both of the Battery Relay Bus circuit breakers when I demonstrated the procedures. Do not open both of these as it will shut down the entire Battery Relay Bus - making it impossible to make critical changes to for example the FC radiators, inverters etc. - the battery relay bus powers these.

Thanks to Folgers, Amaryllis, CaptainSwag101 for helping me with the details!

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2023, 12:37:48 AM »
Update 0.99.13 is out! - FC Purge, FDAI ball drives, GDC Align, bug fixes
Thu, 30 November 2023

The 0.99.13 will mainly focus on the Apollo Command Module. It will correct issues reported by the community and improve existing systems. It will also improve the fuel cell purge, attitude ball drives, GDC align and HGA antenna deployment.

Note: If you are experiencing issues with this build you can roll back to the previous using the Steam Betas Tab accessible from the Steam client (games properties).

FDAI Attitude Ball improvements

I have improved the logic behind the attitude indicators (FDAI). Logic will now drive the attitude balls to the internal attitudes instead of snapping when for example performing a REFSMMAT, aligning the platform and during GDC Align.

This requires you to press and hold the GDC ALIGN button during pre-launch procedures and alignment procedures. I have updated the Academy and the checklists to include this.

Fuel Cell Purge logic

The Fuel Cell Purge logic has been improved to better reflect the real procedures - and will add up to the things you need to do during coasting. The Fuel Cell flow indicators will reflect the purge as O2/H2 flows through the system. I have also mapped the Caution and Warning System logic so that a Master Alarm will trigger due to the increased flow.

Checklists related to these procedures has been updated.

SM RCS Fuel Quantity Sensor

I have improved and fixed issues related to the SM RCS Fuel Quantity sensors used to show how much fuel you have in the various SM RCS fuel quads.

Apollo Save State improvements

I have added some new data to the Apollo Save State. The SPS Helium quantity, SPS N2 quantity, O2 and H2 quantities, and Battery A,B,C and Pyro Bat A, B charges are now stored. I have also added the triggered Failures to the save state.

HGA deployment
The High Gain Antenna logic and model has been updated. The antenna will now spring out during SIVB/SLA separation. The rotation joints has been update so both pitch and yaw is mapped correctly with the model joints.

Attitude Set Control Panel (phase 1)

I have started to work on the logic behind the Attitude Set Control Panel to better reflect real procedures. The switches related to the platform and GDC align has also been reimplemented. You should now be able to follow more realistic procedures when performing a GDC Align such as aligning the GDC with the IMU inertial platform.

The simplified logic still exists and is the recommended approach. If you set the ATT SET switch on MDC-1 to IMU and press in GDC ALIGN, the GDC platform will automatically be set to exactly match the IMU platform.

If you set the ATT SET switch to GDC, you will need to use the procedures to set the attitude using the ASCP, then press and hold the GDC ALIGN button while the new logic will drive the attitude towards the desired alignment attitude set on the ASCP.

N20 has also been update to map the angels better

Note: This logic still have some issues when the attitude is far or facing Euler challenges, so if you execute this procedure and the logic is unable to align and drive the platform correctly, use the simplified approach, or maneuver the command module closer to null the error needles in ATT SET->GDC mode.

Checklists related to these procedures has been updated.

SPS Pc gauge

I have fixed a bug that would freeze the SPS Pc gauge at 45. The gauge should now show the SPS thrust while performing an SPS burn.

Patch Notes:

Updates to the FC1,2,3 purge logic
    Fixed the SPS Pc gauge to monitor SPS thrust
    Fixed the SM fuel qty sensor -> gauge on the MDC-2
    Corrected a typo in the SPS Deorbit (Earth Entry) checklist
    Apollo Save State improvements
    Attitude ball drives
    ASCP improvements
    HGA deployment
    HGA pitch/yaw control joint updates
    Backspace will null rates in Mercury and Gemini

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2023, 12:56:32 AM »
Reentry has been patched to 0.99.14
Fri, 8 December 2023

Reentry has been patched to 0.99.14. This patch is a minor update and will cover issues reported by the community.

You can see the patch notes below:

0.99.14 release notes:

LM V48 - DAP setup corrections
    HGA rendering updates
    CM MA fix while pausing the game
    Mercury Satellite Clock Hours fix
    Mercury external pressure fixes
    Mercury Going Orbital splashdown condition check corrected
    Mercury campaign mission updates
    LM Water tank qty adjustments
    LM RR radar fixes
    Gemini RCS tuning
    Gemini translation changes
    QRH updates

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2024, 12:31:34 AM »
Update 0.99.16 is out! - Mercury updates and minor Apollo patches
Tue, 23 January 2024

The 0.99.16 update has been released. The update mostly focuses on Project Mercury where I have been correcting and reimplementing issues around the Mercury Electrical Power System and Environmental Control System.

Note: If you are experiencing issues with this build you can roll back to the previous using the Steam Betas Tab accessible from the Steam client (games properties).

Mercury Retro time

The Mercury radio command "Request Retro at next Ap" has been fixed. You can use the functional bubble button to request an update of the retro time. This will automatically configure the Time to Retro timer on the center panel.

Please note that you can always adjust the time to retro manually using the handle next to the Time to Retro timer.

Mercury Electrical Power System

I have rewritten the Mercury fuse logic and rewired some of them to improve realism. Most of the fuses containing "Emer" has been rewired to their emer backup logic as part of the sequencer (such as manually triggering functions and logic by pulling the ring handles or trigger buttons).

Mercury Environmental Control System

I have updated the Environmental Control System of the Mercury capsule to improve water/H2O dynamics. I have also fixed the H2O accumulator to correct issues where the ECS has not been capable of maintaining temperature after some time in orbit. The cabin and suit temperature control logic has been improved as well.

Apollo checklist updates

I have updated multiple checklists in the Apollo CSM mission pad with reported issues related to ground crew ingress and P40. In addition, the Apollo checklist dictionary has been updated.

0.99.16 release notes:

Mercury EPS logic rewire
    Mercury ECS fixes
    Mercury H2O accumulator changes
    Mercury cabin and suit temperature control fixes
    Fixed the Mercury radio command "Request Retro at next Ap"
    Mercury: Corrected the global to inertial attitude platform disturbance after transitioning to landing
    Updates to Mercury ascent checklists (minor) for both Redstone and Atlas
    Apollo TVC: Added limits (this is still in its first dev phase)
    Apollo P40: Corrected checklist with regards to AC on RHC(2)
    Apollo Ground Ingress checklist for section P122 Optics panel fixes
    Apollo Checklist Dictionary Updates

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2024, 07:17:35 PM »
Update 0.99.17 is out! - Bug fixes and tuning
Wed, 13 March 2024

First of all I wanted to thank you for the patience since the previous update. My build pipeline and uploading to Steam has been failing. After a long debugging round with Steam support, we identified the root cause being the ISP blocking parts of the required uploading paths, making it impossible to upload new patches to Steam. This issue is now being handled by Steam directly with the ISP. This patch has therefore been delayed for a while and does not contain issues reported during February and March. I will start to work on those next.

This update will roll out fixes for various Mercury systems, updates to the Mercury manual and fixes to the career nodes.

Mercury Updates

The main aspects of this update covers Mercury systems. It fixes some issues related to the Environmental Control Systems heat exchanger logic, and improves the logic of it.

It also adds some features related to the EXCESS CABIN/SUIT H2O warning light logic, and ties it to the improved Heat Exchangers.

The Mercury manual has also been updated (ECS).

Mercury Academy videos

I have created six new videos covering many of the Mercury systems, you can find them all in this playlist on YouTube:

You can use this video together with the Mercury Academy to get a deeper understanding of how the Mercury spacecraft works.

Career Tree

I have improved some of the Career Tree logic and corrected reported issues related to some of the nodes, especially in the Apollo CSM tree.

Patch notes:

MOCR: FC LBS/HR fraction increase
    Mercury Heat Exchangers logic update
    Mercury EXCESS CABIN/SUIT H2O warning lights logic improved
    Minor updates to the Mercury manual
    Career tree node fixes
    Engine tuning
    Mercury Academy videos
    Mercury Manual: ECS updates

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #116 on: Yesterday at 11:11:02 PM »
Update 0.94 is out - Updates to Mercury, the Lunar Guidance Computer & Bug Fixes
Fri, 9 September 2022

0.94 is another stability update where a lot of bugs has been fixed. The main features are updates to the Mercury physics model (ascent, guidance) and retrofire engines, some Mercury interior fixes and updates, in addition to some huge updates to the Lunar Module inertial platform and the Lunar Guidance Computer.

Mercury Physics Update

The physics model of ascent, deorbit and entry in Project Mercury has received an overhaul, and it is finally possible to fly similar missions to what was flown in real life. Launching into orbit, with retrofire scheduled after about 4 hours and 30 minutes, just like in Mercury-Atlas 6 (Glenn), will make you splash down in a similar location to real life.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steamcommunity/public/images/clans//33371327/09f5785bfef5048b6aebc7cd7f5647bdcd8422c4.png

Mercury Cockpit Window

One of the features is the addition of panels or doors that can shut the Window in Mercury. It consists of three doors that can be adjusted by clicking on them, just like any other selector/knob.

Mercury Cockpit Interior

The model of the Mercury fuses has been updated to better reflect how they looked in real life, and the UV mapping issue has been fixed. Additional cockpit props has been added and the attitude gauge needles has been colored. This makes it easier to see what's pitch, yaw and roll on the attitude rate needles as they match the coloring of the axis.

Lunar Module Inertial Platform updates

The inertial platform in the Lunar Module is updated to behave more realistically. It is used to improve the methods that uses the REFSMMAT to execute other tasks such as alignment and burns.

Lunar Guidance Computer: P30 & P40

Requesting burns using the Burn Planner will insert a planned burn into the LGC (if you use it when the Lunar Module is the active space craft). The data and logic has been overhauled to be more predictable, with better default values for attitude. A new button is added to the burn planner that lets you request the REFSMMAT before the burn is requested. This allows you to align the IMU using P52. If you then request the burn, the default attitude values should make more sense (this is only needed if you want to torque your gyros ahead of a burn).

The old procedures still works, but it required you to be in control of the attitude to set in V49 (usually all zeros).

Lunar Guidance Computer: P52 opt. 1 and opt. 2

The updates to the REFSMMAT lets P52 opt.1 behave more predictable, and can be used to orient the spacecraft with the burn direction. Requesting burns using the DPS will for example give you the option to align the S/C so that the DPS engine faces prograde/retrograde (90 degrees / 270 degrees pitch). It should now be simpler to execute a DOI burn using the Lunar Module instead of the Command Module, like they did in Apollo 11.

P52 opt. 2 will let you align the platform with the local vertical at a specific mission time.

Inverted Mission Transcript

I have also reverted the Mission Transcript to make it easier to see the last message received.

Links to Space Flight Academy videos

Going forward I will be focusing on creating videos that will teach you and show you the key procedures for each space craft. I link to these has been added to the Academy.

A brief overview of 0.94 can be seen here:

Please see the list below for a full list:

Mercury Physics update for more realistic atmosphere (ascent, entry)
    Slight Mercury Cockpit updates: New fuses and cabin props, adjustable window shields
    LM REFSMMAT updates to better support DPS burns
    LGC P30 and P40 updates. When requesting a burn, note the burn attitude offset of about 90 degrees on attitude
    Added support for LGC P52 opt. 2
    Reverted the Mission Transcript so last message is on top
    Some additional tuning on the CM ECS and Gemini ECS
    Fixed: OBC Catch-up rounding issue, so numbers match with comms
    Fixed: Added the missing highlighter support for 3 circuit breakers in the Command Module
    Fixed: Inverted LM x-pointer scale control
    Fixed: SPS exhaust visible when fuel is depleted
    Fixed: SPS fuel depletion logic
    Fixed: PAD toggle should now care about UI work, preventing to open them when typing in a text field etc.
    Fixed: dV THRUST A/B labels
    Fixed: G-trace line disappears when setting EMS to off
    Fixed: G-trace graph renderer rendered it outside the EMD display area. It's a graph but the TSS scaling changed the size of it
    Fixed: CM/SM jets temperature sensor offscale
    Fixed: Gemini navigation lesson asks to set the FDI selector to the wrong position
    Fixed multiple typos and issues in checklists
    Fixed multiple typos in language files
    Fixed multiple typos in missions
    Fixed: Inverted the Gemini lift vector. Heads up -> Lift down, as with the Command Module is correct
    Fixed: Gemini Event Timer sign issue
    Fixed: Gemini CO2 gauge limit to prevent negative readout
    Fixed: Agena RCS visibility
    Fixed: Agena engine SFX
    Fixed: Blank PAD visibility in Apollo
    Fixed: Mercury Stable Orbit should work again now (had a slight roll before)
    Fixed: Gemini Abort Handle (part of it was baked into a static mesh, preventing animation)
    Fixed: Flickering Gemini Attitude Indicator during startup routines
    Fixed: Gemini Rendezvous orbit prediction showed a circular orbit, it should be an elliptical orbit. Wrong lookup data was used

A special shoutout to all the alpha-floor testers, those who report issues and provide feedback, and to the Test Pilots. Thank you all for helping me creating a better game for all of us.

// Petri W.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Signal Simulator

Started by Asid

Replies: 21
    Views: 9417
    Last post April 14, 2020, 12:17:25 PM
    by Asid
    Farming Simulator 17

Started by Lumituisku

Replies: 14
    Views: 7001
    Last post May 01, 2017, 01:32:48 AM
    by Lumituisku
    Hauptwerk, the pipe organ simulator. Little bit about pipe organs and its use

Started by Don_prince

Replies: 5
    Views: 5877
    Last post May 03, 2016, 02:36:48 PM
    by Asid
    ZDSimulator. Realistic Train Simulator

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 5584
    Last post April 09, 2015, 08:08:21 PM
    by Asid
    Deep Space Battle Simulator