Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: My next step! please any advice on what sim to go next!  (Read 5649 times)

Offline Renders

My next step! please any advice on what sim to go next!
« on: January 14, 2019, 12:43:24 PM »
Hello guys, glad to be posting here after a long time!!
after 8 years of DCS, with ka-50, mi-8, Gazelle, Viggen, F-18c blk20, av-8b N, I'm starting to get bored by it, so I'm thinking to move on to something more.
My choices are mostly three:
1) FSX (i have experience on it from when i was younger)
2) X-Plane 11 (same as before when i lived my first "MAC" period
3) Prepar3d, that for what I know, it's already in use in Command PRO, and maybe I say maybe in a fututre could be a use for me to actually make plans with Command and fly them on P3D but at what cost????
I've seen also other simulators like

So, i think the important thing other than the cockpits and functionality of all the system simulated, the flight model and physics is what I'm looking for the most, i mostly fly helos and jets, but I'm a RL glider (with instructor, yet).

So please let your thoughts flow, should i stick a little more with DCS and put some money away for P3D (for example i won't buy the f-14 for dcs and save money for it).
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: My next step! please any advice on what sim to go next!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 01:59:46 PM »
Hi Renders

I have all the sim platforms. I lost interest in DCS a while back. I have many of their addons. I have had issues with their support. Many addons are in beta for a long time. Some promised features still not implemented (multi-crew in the huey). I even bought a copy of the Huey for a friend in anticipation of MC  :thumbdown

I have similar requirements in flight simulation as you. I love helicopters. DCS does helicopters well. However, something is missing FOR ME. I like the whole world being within reach. I like being able to fly anywhere in the world and have it recognisable.

X-Plane 11 is great. I have it. You can try the demo for free. It has many free addons and many developers have started to develop for it now. It has a better standard flight model for helicopters and planes than FSX or P3D. In FSX/P3D the developers use plug-ins outside the main programme to achieve higher flight fidelity, like Majestic and SimSkunk Works. It doesn't have in built:
- ATC
- Seasons (spring, summer...)

FSX has not been updated for many years, apart from the Steam version. Many developers have stopped or are stopping support/development for it. It also suffers from an issue where you the sim can crash due to limitations in RAM (VAS). P3D is the natural progression for anyone who wants to stick with an FSX type platform. Many FSX addons work in P3D.

P3D4 V4.4 is what I use mostly. You can buy a student license for about $60. It is constantly being updated but you would need to re-buy a major version. Say when they bring out V5 but small updates are free. I get the freedom to do what I want in P3D. Civillian or military. I can bomb and shoot targets in different theatres If I wish. Syria, Vietnam, Afghanistan......There are many very high fidelity models in P3D, military and civilian. Look at the Milviz F4-E Phantom here for example. It fires all weapons  :thumbsup

SkunKnet is interesting if you want military ops....They have a very knowledgeable Italian community also  :thumbsup

This is my opinion after years of flying flight simulations.

I hope you found some at least some of this post useful.

Regards

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Renders

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 02:10:34 PM »
i definitely find them useful and thanks...
For what I saw in my research, i can have x-plane 11 for 38 euros and many say it's definitely the best for many things.
Prepar3d is very yummy, and the student license is very interesting. but very expensive.
oh darn indecision!
thanks again! waiting for other flyboys opinions
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 02:15:38 PM »
You should take your time and do the proper research...It can get expensive but only if you let it  :punishment
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Renders

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 02:18:41 PM »
and i will, i know!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline wilso845

• HAVOC
  • ArmA
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 02:30:47 PM »
Have you thought about

IL2 as a WW2 combat sim

Or

Even dare I say

War thunder is good simple and easy to learn and you don’t have to buy anything if you don’t want to

For me DCS is still ok F14 still in the hanger waiting for release have the harrier and and Saab that I haven’t even flown yet due to health issues.

FSX is dated so P3D is the option I would take on that one

Xplane 11s ok again due to health issues I’ve not touched many games since September

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 02:33:30 PM »
Have you thought about

IL2 as a WW2 combat sim

:thumbsup
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Attila

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 04:50:41 PM »
I would go for X-Plane 11, it overall a very good sim with lot of free modules and the quality payware train started to roll. I have Prepar3D and X11 and i think both are worth the money.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 05:18:26 PM »
You can have more than 1 sim...Most people do. I have them all  :facepalm_smiley  They each have their strong points. Just be careful on the spending..... :Hammer
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Skoop

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 06:47:10 PM »
I'd say Xplane11 if you want to do high fidelity GA or commercial on a budget.  You can get the most bang for your buck with xplane.  Free Zibo mod 737 and free Ortho4xp terrains.

If you want GA / commercial with the ability to do military, then prepar3d is better for you, but will cost.  The addons are more expensive for prepar, but better as well.

You could start with Xplane since it's the least financial impacting to see how you like it.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 06:57:02 PM »
There are also some great mil planes as freeware in P3D. They are quite high in systems etc

2018 FSX BLUE ANGELS F/A-18C HORNET: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=16514.0

Dino Cattaneo: http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com/
AERMACCHI MB-326
BOEING T-45C GOSHAWK
GRUMMAN F-14D TOMCAT
LOCKHEED MARTIN F-35 LIGHTNING II
LOCKHEED S-3B VIKING

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Renders

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 01:29:30 PM »
Thanks to all, sorry to hear about your troubles Wilso, if you ever want to bring out the viggen and have a formation flight let me know.
Regarding Il-2 it's a wonderful game, but in the wrong age for my tastes, i like cold war, missiles, jets. But it's a title i tried and respect a lot...
X plane 11 has the fluid physics thing that makes the model very realistic, looks better vanilla, but has no atc (it has but for what I know it's not that good) and also the other options you mentioned me about the polygonal scenery generator etc

P3D is FSX compatible, and that's good, i could probably use it also with command if I'll ever get a pro licence (that i doubt) but it's an ingoing expense...

So yeah, I think i'll have the both of them suggestion, I'll start with x-plane 11 and when i become rich I'll step to P3D or something else.

One last question: what about that free flight sim? Flight Gear? i suppose it's very old and outdated right? anyone has any experience...
ops... I'm off topic now :P
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 02:00:20 PM »

One last question: what about that free flight sim? Flight Gear? i suppose it's very old and outdated right? anyone has any experience...
ops... I'm off topic now :P

Flightgear is freeware and worth a try

There is also Flyinside. It's new and in development http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php/topic,6717.0.html

You can refund P3D within 60 days I believe, if it is not what you want.

X-Plane 11 has a free limited demo. ATC for X-Plane can be with Vatsim (free)or Pilot Edge (paid).
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Renders

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 03:37:34 PM »
yeah... that seems cool a lot! will give it a try, and with the 60 days refund (I'm gonna check it RN), I think they sold me. I'm sure I'll never file a refund but...
It seems that flyinside seems good for helos also... mmmh   :happyhappy :Horizon
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 03:53:51 PM »

It seems that flyinside seems good for helos also... mmmh   :happyhappy :Horizon

Fly Inside is in development. It still has a way to go. I have a few years experience with helos so I was asked to test/give feedback  :flyaway
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

VR Simulations (VRS) Black Friday sale 2019

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 2195