Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Waterloo 3D  (Read 26395 times)

Offline Waterloo3D

• Plus Infinity Studios
    • Waterloo£d
Re: Waterloo 3D
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2019, 06:35:29 PM »
which makes me wonder if you have a rather large memory leak in the GPU side of things, as i can and have tested much more higher end games and done much more at the same time than i can on this, which makes me wonder, so i dug a bit deeper and found it using 100% GPU almost 99% of the time, so know where the keyboard and mouse delays come from, so hope the next demo, is somewhat better, but if it helps in the overall testing on it, then hopefully it has done some good for you, but from a end user point, i wouldn't make this sort of stuff to the public domain, as most have no idea and tbh will be a lot more negative than me, i'd put in on my high end gaming rig, but atm don't think there's any FPS stops on this and is maybe one reason why or memory leaks etc and don't wish to find out on a card which cost 6 times more than the one in my test pc's.

ran it on test pc 2 and 1, only difference is makes of GPU with same hardware elsewhere other than makes of combo hard drive etc

even paused it uses too high a % of GPU tbh

as the screenshots shows, nowhere near my full amount of GPU ram, but all or almost all of the CPU on the GPU, paused, once un paused it's 100% 24/7 so isn't any good for long term testing unless you wish to burn our cards sooner rather than later

no difference on my other ATI based hardware, so either a windows 10 issue, which is unlikely and tbh is more likely to be a memory leak

looking into the folders and even installing the pre requsites etc, made no difference on GPU usage

as i always install and run as admin anyway

and run with a almost clean profile, so nothing hardly else running, standard windows 10 home and pro setups, with default apps and programs, eg default firewall and AV etc

which even will my limited programming ability points to a memory leak of somewhat epic proportions which didn't get testing too well pre release, these sort of minor errors given out to a wider audience may lead to some one getting a high end card burnt out without first knowing about it, as most don't have the knowledge and ability to understand or react to it, and close the process down, before a melt down 

look forward to hearing your feedback and the next build

We have  identified the problem and working on a solution. A patch will be released as soon as we have something workable. Thanks.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Waterloo3D

• Plus Infinity Studios
    • Waterloo£d
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2019, 06:36:13 PM »
in the demo i had, you would be lucky if you got 5 fps with cray computer and X numbers of RTX 2080 Ti setup, so yes the game engine may cope with X amount of units, but on the spec they give, no way is it playable atm

On my test PC with GTX 1060, 3 GB video RAM, I am getting 23 FPS when all battalions are moving. See pic below. 
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Waterloo3D

• Plus Infinity Studios
    • Waterloo£d
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2019, 06:36:50 PM »
grass looks painted

At some point grass has to be switched off so that we can blend with the textures. This is as yet not optimised.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Waterloo3D

• Plus Infinity Studios
    • Waterloo£d
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2019, 06:37:40 PM »
smokes well white only balls of fluff, no musket fire, no black flash, no colour what so ever and if it moved away so quick, that would mean wind, which doesn't make the tree's move, so hardly an epic start

Wind is not enabled for the trees. That one slipped through the cracks. We will fix it in the next mini demo.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Waterloo3D

• Plus Infinity Studios
    • Waterloo£d
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2019, 06:39:56 PM »
early days, pre alpha i'd say it's ok, but a long way to go, hopefully 

it's nothing like the ones in the video, so yes some minor points,

the highend GPU use is something no I5 and low end card is going to handle atm, so not very optimized as it is, and defiantly not ready for general public release on kick starter in this state i'm sorry to say, needs more work to be playable and or usable as a demo on it's best form, atm it shows what doesn't work well, so not so good, i would have maybe waited a bit until one worked a tad better i'm sorry to say.

the colours used are so washed out, to be very poor compared to the other videos shown, seems the buildings, the tree's and grass in this one have been turned down so low to even work, it still maxes out the GPU and looks very low end and poor.

if it wasn't for the fact of seeing better versions in the video's, i'd be well put off, but i see it can be done, but this version and demo isn't it, and posted it to the developers and said as much, early days, so plenty of time to improve, so not a terrible start, but not the best one either, but seen better and longer enough in it to have also seen worse, much much more, so fingers crossed they sort out the memory leak, optimize the code somewhat a bit better for the next one, and then will have something to compare, look forward for others views on it and see if it's just me   as i'm used to being on my own, in the corner, and no worries, enjoyed it all the same and past an hour, and not so much on atm, waiting for more than a few builds to come online atm, seems everyone on a go slow atm

no problem, hope it was something easy to fix, as my 2 base pc test machines both handle almost everything i throw at them game wise and have served me well over the last 5 or 6 years from getting relegated from gaming rigs to just test rigs, with only 4gb GPU installed in both, there no way mainstream or far from high end either, but normally work fine with anything from the past and present in the items i'm normally testing on and off steam, 400+ items on my steam list, mostly from tested games, show they do work and work well on almost all settings, even if some times the FPS aren't highend but playable, the demo tried on both, got the same results even on the menus, so knew from the start, something was a miss, so once fixed and sorted, the next one should work better for everyone, so fingers crossed and look forward to the next one asap 

We would rather release a playable demo that is not perfect and get the feedback from users ( however harsh it is) than wait until the last moment to release the final demo. Thus we will release several mini demos, each building on the previous one, each better than the last before we release a final demo before Kickstarter.  Thanks for all the comments.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Waterloo3D

• Plus Infinity Studios
    • Waterloo£d
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2019, 06:44:49 PM »
Image showing FPS when all 4 battalions are moving towards the enemy:
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline zakblood

« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2019, 07:03:44 PM »
the smoke look like small circles which while it masks the other side, the colours all wrong imo

the whole colours used from grass to the uniforms seems to vibrant and gory in nature and not natural at all, comparing these to the films of the battles, the other games of the type and paintings from the day, it looks like a computer game, too unreal but looks, to bright by nature and just not right at all for me.

This is a deliberate decision we took on the art direction. It is certainly a matter of taste. We can provide a setting where the shaders are toned down a bit for a more “realistic” lighting and colouring.

I understand that this is a wip and it is important and beneficial to get feedback early on

Smoke is very important to a game like this so getting it correct should be high on the list.

As for colours. Allowing the option for colour adjustment is a good idea. That period is well known for its divers and richly coloured uniforms.

As for trees...Static trees are fine in my opinion. Most games that have moving trees look odd as the trees and grass are always moving too fast

Regards

Static trees are no big deal to me tbh either, but like smoke blowing in one direction, does indicate wind, if smoke clears to fast, eg when the wind blows harder, or less and stays around the floor, when less wind, or earlier in the day, say morning time etc, so smoke and the ability to stay or move is a bigger point of most sims, but no tree's and grass moving to me aren't so important either, just eye candy tbh
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline zakblood

« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2019, 07:04:40 PM »
Image showing FPS when all 4 battalions are moving towards the enemy:

whats the keys to show fps in game? (never mind) found them
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 08:51:55 PM by zakblood »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline zakblood

« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2019, 08:27:11 PM »
been on this now for more than a few hours and what iv'e found and seen, the depth, the scale and the different light and dark makes, makes me look forward to this now even more, shadows and i could go on, but i won't, as at the end of the day, this is the developers baby and not mine, so look forward to more of the same, and thanks for the replies so far, from the developer, but for now thanks everyone   :howdy

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 08:54:42 PM by zakblood »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2019, 12:27:02 AM »
Thanks for your continued feedback Zak  :thumbsup
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline zakblood

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2019, 07:52:53 AM »
not a problem, that's for bringing all these new and great stuff to everyone, as without, i wouldn't have found it either, not until too late to do much about it :howdy

you get  :winner
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Waterloo3D

• Plus Infinity Studios
    • Waterloo£d
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2019, 11:16:05 PM »
Greetings, fellow Napoleonic gamers!

Dear Fellow Gamers,

After the release of the first mini demo, we had some significant negative feedback from players.

We always take player feedback to heart and it is indeed the reason for us releasing several mini demos so that keep improving continually.

One of the chief gripes was that on mid powered PCs the game was hogging too much of the GPU resources.

I am happy to report that we have found a solution for this GPU overload issue and we are in the final stages of testing the GPU performance improvements.

Also in the next release, we will give the players options for choosing the graphics settings.

In addition, several small but important changes like the ability to completely turn off the voice commands, etc. are being provided.

Another major change is that we have completely revamped the in-game UI. Players might have seen screenshots of the revamped UI in previous posts.

I apologize for this slight pause in the updates but the whole team has been working hard on the above set of changes.

Within a matter of days we will have a revamped mini demo 1. We will call it mini demo 2 to keep the naming system easy.

Stay tuned.

Fred the Coder
Chief Designer
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2019, 12:06:04 AM »
Thank you for the update Fred  :thumbsup
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Aj

« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2019, 06:57:12 PM »
Is this project still alive?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2019, 01:01:37 AM »
Is this project still alive?

I believe it is.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Napoleon Total War: Battle Of Waterloo

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 5663
    Last post June 18, 2015, 10:20:22 PM
    by Asid
    Separate Scourge of War: Waterloo section?

Started by Asid

Replies: 3
    Views: 3076
    Last post November 07, 2016, 04:23:16 PM
    by Asid
    Marching Eagles: Waterloo

Started by Asid

Replies: 12
    Views: 6981
    Last post February 15, 2021, 03:00:04 AM
    by Asid