Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: On The Western Front  (Read 26303 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: On The Western Front
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2020, 01:13:53 PM »
Fortresses
Mon, 27 July 2020

Hi all,

Relatively minor update this time, since I'm currently working on the Verdun map. That being said, I added fortresses to the Eastern Front.

Fortresses consist of both above-ground and underground tiles, and act as permanent field supply dumps for the side that owns them. Fortress tiles generally act as open ground, except that they obscure vision and lines of fire. However, some fortress tiles are casemates, which allow units underground to fire at units above ground with impunity.

To attack a fortress, you must use fort entrances to enter the fortress underground. Once units enter a fortress, they must navigate to various goal points, represented by the flag of the nation in control of the fort. To capture a fort, units must hold all goal tiles for 24 hours.

A progress bar appears above the fortress when all goal tiles are being captured. Once it finishes, the fortress is yours.

I've also added a few new events unique to the Eastern Front.

Bugfixes/Changes:

•   Fortresses occasionally appear on the Eastern Front.
•   Order delay has been drastically reduced, but being under attack will increase it. This is a two-way modifier. For example, the delay between brigade and battalion HQs is lengthened accordingly if either party is being attacked.
•   New events:
Foreign Advisors (Operations)
If playing as Germany on the Eastern Front, the Austrians may ask you to lend them some officers. Doing so will increase troop morale but lower readiness.
If playing as Austria on the Eastern Front, the Germans may ask you to accept instruction from their officers. Doing so will increase troop readiness but lower morale.

Kaiser Franz Josef Dies (Austria Only)
Always happens on Nov. 21, 1916
All units lose 30% Cohesion and 40% Morale

Tsar Nicholas II Abdicates (Russia Only)
Always happens on March 15, 1917
All units lose 40% Cohesion and 20% Morale

Kaiser Wilhelm II Abdicates (Germany Only)
Always happens on Nov. 9, 1918
All units lose 20% Cohesion and 20% Morale

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2020, 11:20:59 PM »
Verdun
Wed, 9 September 2020

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay between this update and the last, it's been a busy month for me personally. I've added the Verdun map type, which encompasses the area between Fort Douaumont and Fort Souville. The trenches in this sector are pre-determined, but obviously can be expanded as you see fit. Fortresses play a larger part in this map, and the player's goal is to have all four of them in your possession by 1918.

Besides the fortresses, the main difference in this map type is the fact that the Germans begin with much higher numbers of both front-line and reserve personnel, whereas the French have to make do with what they have until they gradually receive reinforcements. Reinforcements occur each week and allow either more front-line units to be deployed, or more reserve units to be called up.

Due to the lack of uniformity in trench dispositions, I've added extra functionality to formal offensives. Prior to an offensive, you now have the option of moving units up to the front line en masse. As a corollary, sending men over the top now only does so for units in the front lines. This allows you to control how many men to keep in reserve by moving them away from the front lines prior to charging.

Bugfixes/Changes:
•   Verdun map added.
•   Rate of Morale loss from low food has been reduced.
•   Units only receive passive resupply from field supply dumps and fortresses when Resting.
•   Artillery unit now no longer require all targeted tiles to be in range with clear line of sight when firing. However, if a targeted tile is not within range of within line of sight, it cannot be hit. This may waste some of your artillery unit's attacking ability.
•   Tooltips for different attack types have been updated. Previously, they would all say "Under Fire" and players would have to rely on the icon to differentiate attack types.
•   Enemy artillery barrages prior to offensives have been tweaked to be less piecemeal.
•   There is now a preliminary step you can take prior to sending men over the top when an offensive starts, which moves all combat units to the front line.

Thanks for playing!

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2020, 02:02:40 PM »
Trentino and Trieste
Thu, 24 September 2020

Hi all,

I've gotten around to adding the Italian Front to the game. This is the last major map type to be added into the game in terms of maps that add new gameplay elements. I'm still flirting with the idea of smaller-scale scenarios, but they would likely be variations of existing maps.

The most obvious difference between this map and others is the presence of karst, which affects both movement and readiness during task switching. Karst creates two separate effects depending on elevation. An elevation of 4 causes the Crossing Karst effect, which does not affect movement but does cause more damage from shrapnel and ballistic weapons in the open. An elevation of 5 causes the Climbing Karst effect, which heavily affects movement and readiness for all units except mountain units.

Mountain units can cross and operate with no penalty when climbing karst.

Bugfixes/Changes:

•   Italian Front has been added.
•   Added Karst ground type, which slows down non-mountain units at an elevation level of 5, as well as inflicting more damage on units when using shrapnel shells.
•   Rebalanced offensives to make success rates less permissive - previously it would be too easy to permanently conquer enemy lines.
•   Tooltips added for divisional artillery upgrades.
•   Tooltips added for various staff officer traits.
•   Star shells are no longer infinite. In the interest of game balance, your division receives a new allocation each month.
•   Line of sight no longer reveals enemy trenches when fog of war is enabled.
•   Attacking no longer reduces readiness.
•   Number of tiles attacked by artillery has been tweaked.
•   Artillery attribute effects have been increased.
•   Fixed issue with incorrect values in order delay tooltip.
•   Fixed issue with sight range not being updated properly in adverse weather conditions and time of day.
•   Drag and drop windows for showing unit details, selected units, and ground information can now be reset by pressing ESC if you accidentally drag them off-screen. The next time anything is selected the popup dialogs will be placed back in their default position.
•   Fixed bug in which units in dugouts were not appearing when starting a new map.

Thanks for playing!

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2020, 02:10:14 AM »
Medals
Fri, 30 October 2020

Hi all,

Since all the map types are in, I've begun adding some frills to the game. Most obvious change is that there are now a few customization options on the Headquarters screen. From here you can customize yourself a bit, such as adding a division insignia and changing your name.

This gave me the chance to implement some achievements/medals in the game. Hovering over them will produce a tooltip detailing their requirements. These aren't hooked into Steam yet, as I'm not sure if they're final, but the system for recognizing achievements is in and I'm open to suggestions.

Lastly, it is now possible to "win" scenarios. The Meuse-Argonne and Verdun maps have explicit win/loss conditions, while the other fronts simply measure how many times you advance or retreat by Nov. 11, 1918. Advancing or retreating reloads the map, but progress shows up under your commander's portrait.

Verdun requires you to hold all four fortresses by the Armistice, while the Meuse-Argonne requirements change depending on your nation. The Americans must conquer the map by Nov.11, 1918, whereas the Germans only need to survive. I'll probably add things like more comprehensive enemy starting trenches and improved AI as you advance, but for now there is at least some kind of end goal in sight.

Bugfixes/Changes:
•   Added Division commander section on Headquarters screen.
•   Added medals in game.
•   Americans now start with four rifle brigades both in the field and in reserve.
•   Units now return to original positions when scheduled order is completely done. They will still remain relatively close to the order target area when taking breaks if the order is set to repeat.
•   Previously, only balloons would permanently decrease the size of artillery target areas. Now, unlocking the new Calibration Range upgrade will also do this.

•   Fixed bug in which resupplying units would lag the game down heavily.
•   Fixed bug with damage on grass appearing in the wrong areas when playing as Germany on the Verdun map.
•   Got rid of sharp edges in grass.
•   Fixed bug in which reverse slopes were not properly protecting units on them.

Thanks for playing!

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2020, 01:30:45 AM »
Hotkeys
Sun, 6 December 2020

Hi all,

It's been a busy time for me personally, so this update is relatively small despite the time that has passed since the last update. The main new feature this time is the addition of customizable hotkeys.

The default hotkeys are kind of all over the place, but you're free to remap them however you wish. It's worth noting that the arrow keys and the + and - keys on the numpad are always mapped to the camera scroll and the timer speed respectively. Other than that, you're free to customize everything to your heart's content.

I've also addressed some bugs that have been brought up in the forums.

Bugfixes/Changes:
•   Customizable hotkeys for construction actions are now available.
•   Fixed incorrect scenario end popups.
•   Fixed bug in which HQ units would stand around outside fortresses after conquering them.
•   Fixed crash when attempting to replace a reserve unit.
•   Fixed crash when removing area of interest.
•   Added inverted camera scroll option on settings screen.

Thanks for playing!

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2021, 02:36:43 PM »
Brigade Command
Sat, 2 January 2021

Hi all,

As per request, I've added a smaller scenario in which you control a single brigade rather than an entire division.

The map revolves around taking a single redoubt. It otherwise operates mostly the same way, except that reserve brigades are no longer available. Additionally, it is no longer possible to use the Aerodrome on the Redoubt map, as it is the responsibility of the Division commander. Air sorties are automated and cannot be disabled.

Certain windows can now be resized as well. Any popup that appears on the main battle map can now be made smaller or larger by clicking and dragging the right and/or bottom of the window. They can be restored to default size by clicking the button on the top left.

Bugfixes/Changes:
•   Redoubt map now exists, allowing control of a single brigade.
•   Windows that appear in battle can now be resized.

Thanks for playing!

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2021, 01:10:53 AM »
Localization
Sun, 31 January 2021

Hi all,

The big change this time is the addition of localization files. Since I don't have the ability to actually get translations done, I figured I'd just provide the ability for others to do it.

Now you can use a csv/Excel file to add different languages to the game. The key is to ensure that the first line of the csv file contains the language itself, followed by the actual lines of text in the game.

It is strongly advised not to change the values in the first column, as the game looks for these tags when converting text. The default localization file has been placed into the game folder, under Graphics/Names, along with the name files. You can also select a file from anywhere on your computer.

Bugfixes/Changes:
•   Improved pathfinding across rivers to prevent unnecessary river crossings.

•   Fixed potential crash with certain event choices that increase commander stats.
•   Improved performance of raid area-drag over large areas.
•   Plane upgrades are locked behind an experience wall again.
•   Music files from the game have been added into the game folder.

Thanks for playing!

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2021, 01:46:03 AM »
Update - March 7
Sun, 7 March 2021

Hi all,

I've mostly spent this last update implementing some requests and suggestions you've made in the discussion forums.

Raids now result in after-action reports when you either call them back or they end normally. This took a little longer than expected to implement, because there were some bugs in the raid mechanic I had to iron out. I've also added the ability to schedule orders according to the time of day rather than having to manually set a time. This is useful for more general orders.

Lastly, there have been a few changes to the information available to the player. Units with subordinates will now show the combined status values for all of their subordinate units, which allows the player to see at a glance the overall status of an entire unit.

Vertical bars represent combined values, while horizontal bars are the status values of the unit by itself.

Bugfixes/Changes:

•  Added after action report when performing raids.
•  Tweaked effectiveness of raids and melee combat.
•  Added ability to set scheduled orders to different times of day. This will update automatically depending on the time of year. Not setting a time of day will set the order to the specified time, same as before.
•  Added total numbers, morale, supply, and readiness to units in both the unit detail popup and the Order of Battle screen.
•  Added subordinate unit list to Order of Battle screen. These also show the combined numbers, morale, supply, and readiness of their subordinates when applicable.
•  Units now blink red when under attack.

Thanks for playing!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2021, 11:30:02 PM »
Update - May 24
Tue, 25 May 2021

Hi all,

Quicker than usual turnaround on this update, as it mostly consists of pathfinding changes that should help unit rotation go along a lot smoother. I'm hoping this reduces a bit of the clumping that would happen when new units were brought into the lineup.

Bugfixes/Changes:
•   Time increments have been decreased to two minutes, down from five. Things like cooldowns, etc, have been modified as well.
•   Fixed potential crash when crossing rivers at the extremities of the map.
•   Improved pathfinding when units rotate to the rear and there is no clear path of trenches and comm. trenches that exists to lead them there.
•   Staggered unit rotation so that they are less clumped together when returning from leave.
•   Fixed occasional crash when performing raids.
•   Fixed bug in which only the commanding unit of an artillery battalion would withdraw to the rear.
•   Tweaked frequency of enemy AI unit rotation.
•   Fixed issue in which destroyed trench tiles would sometimes show the wrong ground type instead of reverting to open ground.
•   Modified Administration delegation options - increments now modify morale and numbers thresholds by 10% instead of 5%, giving more unit rotation variability.

Thanks for playing!

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2021, 11:52:48 PM »
Animation
Mon, 25 October 2021

Hi all,

Pretty long gap between this update and the last one. Aside from a bit of code refactoring and a couple of minor bugfixes, the main thing I've added this time are animated sprites. I hadn't intended on doing this so soon, but work got a bit hectic and I found myself doing 3D work in Blender just to unwind, so it ended up being a good time to do it after all.

It's not perfect, and I've still got to add sprites for aircraft, as well as dying animations, but the bulk of animations are in now. I'll probably add a method of switching on the fly between unit display types soon - a lot of the behind-the-scenes work was actually geared toward making this a reality.

A lot of the detail I added in the sprites can't even really be seen due to the small size of the units on the map, but I'll admit it does look kind of cool zooming in and watching units move around, even if it's only really visible when the game speed is lowered.

Hope you all enjoy it, and let me know if there are any other animations you'd like me to add in.

Bugfixes/Changes:

Dealt with residual bugs which resulted when I converted time increments from 5 minutes to two.
    Added animated sprites as an option in the settings menu

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2022, 11:44:18 PM »
Update - Jan. 16
Mon, 17 January 2022

Hi all,

I've added a few quality of life updates as well as some bugfixes in this update. The big one I suppose is being able to rotate individual subordinate units, such as battalions within brigades, etc. The caveat is that the unit is replaced by a fresh unit of the same type. If you wish to retain the experience of the unit sent away or alter unit composition, you'd have to rotate the entire unit to the rear as before.

Bugfixes/Changes:

Fixed Germany victory conditions on Meuse-Argonne map.
    You can now use Page Up and Page Down keys to cycle through units on the same tile.
    Units will now avoid crowding more strictly, so if you attempt to move too many units to a tile all at once they'll end up 'bleeding' over to other tiles.
    Updated scroll bars on various popup windows.
    Previously, being forced to retreat would leave the player empty-handed, since the shattered units from the previous sector carried over. Now a fresh brigade will replace a depleted one automatically.
    Can now send subordinate units to the rear from the Order of Battle screen.
    Fixed issuing orders and cavalry charges. The feature which allowed players to use Ctrl to select multiple units at a time was messing with the ability to drag and drop orders.

Thanks for playing!

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2022, 10:31:18 PM »
Update - April 24
Mon, 25 April 2022

Hi all,

Sorry for the long delay between updates. I didn't have any new features to add this time, so I took the opportunity to bug hunt and deal with issues that I've known about for some time but hadn't gotten around to fixing yet.

The biggest and most time-consuming one was to track down and eliminate the long 10+ second pauses that would occasionally occur when the pathfinding broke down and had to brute force a path. Upon refactoring and restructuring some things under the hood, I think I've managed to get rid of the problem.

I also took the time to update the Unit Rotation tutorial to use the Order of Battle screen instead of the context menus. Using the context menu to withdraw units wasn't very intuitive, so I removed that ability without updating the corresponding tutorial. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Bugfixes/Changes:

Updated the unit rotation tutorial.
    Updated pathfinding so long pauses in the game should no longer happen.
    Fixed issue with units returned from raids continuing to fire forever.
    Fixed bug with cancelling scheduled orders.
    Tweaked formatting of pilot lists in Aerodrome screen.
    Adjusted enemy offensives to focus more on the first line of defense rather than attacking everything indiscriminately.
    Fixed crash with grenades upgrade caused due to a missing tooltip.
    Fixed reserve unit names generated when starting a new game.

Thanks for playing!

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2022, 10:55:15 PM »
Update - May 16
Tue, 17 May 2022

Hi all,

Once again I focused mostly on tightening up what already exists rather than adding anything new. I finally was able to get around to improving underground mines by making them more powerful than they were previously. Having a mine destroy only a single tile didn't seem worth the time and effort it took to actually set them, so I'm hoping this makes mines more viable. I also managed to fix the animations for both mines and star shells by ensuring the animation plays before moving on.

Other than that, I mostly mopped up some pathfinding lag on the Verdun map, and changed the way the enemy AI attempts to take fortresses. Previously the enemy units were rushing across the whole map to take the nearest available fortress, which was suicidal.

I also took the time to add some more tooltips and help text in the pause menu.

Bugfixes/Changes:

Fixed issue with being able to select Attack Unit command even on invisible tiles when fog of war is enabled.
    Fixed long pathfinding delays when enemy AI attacks fortresses on the Verdun map.
    AI now prioritizes trenches over fortresses on the Verdun map, instead of charging across long stretches of open ground to assault fortresses that are far from the enemy lines.
    Fixed bug where units would get stuck underground if player switched from above ground to underground while units were exiting tunnels.
    Fixed bug where rotating enemy units would sometimes get stuck and never return to the front lines.
    Added tooltips to the task delegation popup dialog.
    Fixed animations for star shells and detonated mines so that the animation plays out in full rather than quickly appearing and disappearing when the game timer is set to high speeds.
    Mines now destroy a 13x13 area rather than a single tile. They also now properly destroy terrain and grass in addition to any constructed tiles and units.
    Updated help text to include a bit more information about the Verdun and Isonzo fronts, as well as the task delegation popup in the Headquarters screen.

New Localization keys:

HELP_SUBTOPIC_TASK_DELEGATION
    HELP_TEXT_TASK_DELEGATION_01
    HELP_TEXT_TASK_DELEGATION_02
    HELP_TOPIC_VERDUN
    HELP_TOPIC_ISONZO_FRONT
    HELP_SUBTOPIC_VERDUN_DISPOSITIONS
    HELP_SUBTOPIC_ISONZO_KARST
    HELP_TEXT_DISPOSITIONS_01
    HELP_TEXT_DISPOSITIONS_02
    HELP_TEXT_KARST_01
    HELP_TEXT_KARST_02
    TOOLTIP_DELEGATION_REPAIR
    TOOLTIP_DELEGATION_FORTIFY
    TOOLTIP_DELEGATION_TRENCH_RAID
    TOOLTIP_DELEGATION_EXERCISES
    TOOLTIP_DELEGATION_CUT_WIRE
    TOOLTIP_DELEGATION_SET_WIRE
    TOOLTIP_DELEGATION_REST
    TOOLTIP_DELEGATION_MORALE
    TOOLTIP_DELEGATION_NUMBERS
    TOOLTIP_DELEGATION_SUPPLY_AREA
    TOOLTIP_DELEGATION_FIELD_HOSPITAL
    TOOLTIP_DELEGATION_FIND_WOUNDED
    TOOLTIP_DELEGATION_FIELD_KITCHENS
    TOOLTIP_DELEGATION_FIELD_SUPPLY_DUMP
    TOOLTIP_DELEGATION_SORTIES
    TOOLTIP_DELEGATION_ANTI_AIR
    TOOLTIP_DELEGATION_ARTILLERY_SPOTTING
    TOOLTIP_DELEGATION_ADD_CABLES

Thanks for playing!

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2022, 04:23:06 PM »
Update - June 5
Mon, 6 June 2022

Hi all,

This update focuses mostly on bridges and pathfinding. There were still some outstanding situations in which the pathfinding would lock up for a long time when attempting to find paths over bridges on the Eastern and Meuse-Argonne maps. I believe I've managed to track them down and eliminate them now. I also tweaked charges and raids in order to avoid situations in which units would run alongside bridges and pontoons rather than on them.

On the Eastern front, and on the Meuse-Argonne map as the Americans, you can now delegate the building of pontoons. The Germans on the Meuse-Argonne do not have this option, as they're on the defensive. Orders will only be scheduled if there is a river between the two front lines.

Other than that, I mostly tracked down bugs and added some more tooltips to the ground/tile popup window. If there's any part of the game that you feel requires some more tooltips, feel free to let me know in the Discussion forums.

Bugfixes/Changes:
•   Can now delegate build pontoon orders via the Task Delegation popup for your Operations officer in the Headquarters screen.
•   Charging/raids now use bridges even if they are incomplete. Previously issuing a normal order would use incomplete or broken bridges if no complete ones were available, but this did not extend to charges, which used the shortest path to the target.
•   Added tooltips to the ground/tile popup, including tooltips for fortress tiles.
•   Fixed bug with scheduled orders which caused scheduled units to sometimes get stuck Switching Tasks.
•   Fixed occasional crash when determining bridge crossing paths.

New Localization keys:
•   TOOLTIP_EFFECT_OPEN_GROUND
•   TOOLTIP_EFFECT_ON_FORTRESS
•   TOOLTIP_EFFECT_IN_FORTRESS
•   TOOLTIP_EFFECT_FORTRESS_ENTRANCE
•   TOOLTIP_DELEGATION_BUILD_PONTOONS

Thanks for playing!

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2022, 12:11:05 PM »
Update - June 26
Mon, 27 June 2022

Hi all,

This update mostly focuses on Supplying Areas. I reworked it so that supply units (and rifle units carrying food) no longer traverse to the next unit they plan to supply and instead simply select a random unit in their assigned area to distribute supplies to without actually moving to that tile. I believe this makes it easier to keep units supplied since you can see at a glance which areas are covered.

To this end I've added an extra button the top right which shows supply coverage by supply type. I'm hoping this allows players to better optimize supply coverage and keep track of supply levels better.

Bugfixes/Changes:

Supply Area order has been reworked to allow players more control over manual supply orders. Units no longer traverse to units they are supplying but instead passively resupply units in their assigned area.
    There is a new info button in the top-right that highlights supplied areas by supply type.
    Units manually ordered to supply areas no longer refresh Supply Area orders with random supply types if the division runs out of the original supply type. Players will now be informed that the unit has stopped supplying an area.

New Localization keys:

TOOLTIP_SUPPLY_AREA_INFO
    LOG_TYPE_TILE_FULLY_SUPPLIED ( Updated )
    LOG_TYPE_TILE_OUT_OF_SUPPLIES
    EVENT_LOG_FULLY_SUPPLIED
    EVENT_LOG_OUT_OF_SUPPLIES

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

ancient steel shadows frontier

Started by zakblood

Replies: 2
    Views: 2512
    Last post November 26, 2018, 11:00:22 AM
    by zakblood
    Holdfast: Frontlines

Started by Asid

Replies: 3
    Views: 2199
    Last post April 16, 2022, 11:35:49 PM
    by Asid
    Oh Beautiful Combat Mission, How I Love Thee!

Started by Stardog765

Replies: 3
    Views: 4548
    Last post March 22, 2016, 08:18:08 PM
    by Asid
    Ancient Frontier

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 2791
    Last post February 13, 2019, 02:10:52 AM
    by Asid
    Re: Second Front (in Development) Thread removed