Forum > Games Discussion

Atomic Society

(1/7) > >>

Asid:

Society is dead. So remake it. Build and rule your own post-apocalyptic society. Decide the laws and morals of the survivors. Overcome challenges and threats from the wasteland. What kind of society will you make?

Homepage: Here
Official forum: Here
Steam: Here
YouTube: Here

Single Player

Steam Launch Trailer

About

SOCIETY IS DEAD.

SO REMAKE IT.

What kind of society will you make? After nuclear war destroyed civilization, the time has come to rebuild.

What will you legalize, and what will you forbid?

Run society the way you want, good or bad, and create a successful settlement.

Keep hundreds of survivors alive in a dangerous wasteland where life is always hard.

CURRENT FEATURES (More Will Be Added in Future Updates)

•   CRIME. Citizens who commit crimes and a wide range of social issues as you play.
•   JUDGMENT. Act as judge over a range of social issues including abortion, murder, vegetarianism, drug use, cannibalism, and several other controversial topics.
•   PUNISHMENT. Choose between execute, long or short prison sentences, tolerate and even encourage for all the issues that happen in your town. Be whatever kind of leader you want.
•   BELIEF. Pick what you believe in and share that with others through violence, exile or education so that your laws are listened to.

•   OUTSIDERS. Build defences to keep raiders out of your town for good. Or make deals with them so they won't attack you.
•   CONTROL. Create and name your own leader character. Use this person to help build your town, or explore the world for salvage and special upgrades. Walk around your town.
•   SURVIVE. Starting out with nothing, slowly build a large settlement that can keep hundreds of people fed, watered, healthy, housed and entertained, if you can. Convert ruined houses and offices into useful buildings or loot them for supplies!

OTHER FEATURES

•   Custom difficulty mode lets you tweak the experience to be as brutal or gentle as you like.
•   Play just for fun, as a sandbox simulation, or complete set challenges to build the ultimate settlement.
•   Over 33 types of structure to consider building, each with a unique appearance and use.
•   9 huge, handcrafted environments to try and build a town in ranging from deserts, to tropical islands, to snowy mountains.
•   A large degree of randomisation to make replaying and building a different society challenging and rewarding.
•   Face up to the problems of poor sanitation, plague and how to treat the elderly.

Mature Content Description
Atomic Society involves judging controversial real-life social and political issues, including abortion, sexuality, murder and several others. It also allows players to set laws and punishments in ways some players might find disturbing or offensive, though you are free to build society the way you believe.

Asid:
48 hours since launch, slowly recovering!
17 October - Far Road Games   

I cannot believe it's only been 2 days since we clicked the magic green button and launched on Steam. I've probably aged a 100 years since then.

We'd been selling the pre-alpha version of this game on our website before, and had found a really nice, little community of players who gave us feedback.

Then we came here.

And we've sold more in the past 2 days than we have over the last 2.5 years put together... That's a lot of feedback to take in!

It'll be a long while until that money gets to us though, so for the time being, we still had to go to work today (while trying not to daydream about AS all day long in a daze). But soon, maybe, we can start hoping about becoming full-time devs. All thanks to the people who have bought and supported us already, even at the very start of our Early Access journey.

Truly, thank you to every single person who has bought the game, even if you hated it and refunded it - you at least took a chance on us. And super special thanks to everybody who took the time to write (polite) feedback, or write us a good review, or just tell their friends about it. And all the streamers who have made vids of the game. We'll watch them all when time allows.

We're not done with this game by a long shot.

If you'd played the pre-alpha a year ago, and then played it today, you'd see a huge difference. Expect a similar huge leap forward to be there 12 months from now as well. That's what we're working towards anyway.

Bugs

Thanks to our players contacting me (this is why Early Access is awesome) we now know of 4 big bugs in the game that we're already working on fixes for.

I'm not sure when that bug-fixing patch will be out, as we don't want to accidentally make new bugs fixing old ones, but we'll update as soon as is realistically possible. Work is being done on them as I write this.

We always focus on serious bugs ahead of gameplay. I used to be a tester many years ago and I can't break old habits. ;)

Thank You To the Helpful Early Access Community

Atomic Society is going to keep existing because of you. I'm going to have to learn how to cope with a much bigger community of post-apocalyptic town builders (who seem to hate vegetarians?!) but hopefully I can work it all out. :)

To be honest, I'm still in a state of mild shock, and I'll cope with it.

Nobody wants this game to better than us, and the vast majority of feedback I react like "Tell me about it!" but I'm also so thrilled that people can have fun with what's there so far.

I'll be in touch regularly on the forums, at least where people can keep their cool, and you'll be hearing a lot from me in future. :)

Asid:
Update 1.0.1.2 - Bug Fixes
Atomic Society - Far Road Games

A small update has just been released that fixes a handful of the most common bugs that cropped up since we launched a week ago. Our testing audience increased from just 4 people to thousands, so I'm not surprised a few things slipped through the net!

Thanks all the bug reports people took time to make around the place, it really helped us track down some of these issues. It’s been a manic week, but work hasn’t slowed down on the game.

Atomic Society 0.1.0.2:

-   Fixed a rare crash that could sometimes occur on saving (it would look as if the save bar had got stuck).
-   Fixed a bug where the salvage menu option for the town leader sometimes disappeared.
-   Fixed a bug where you could sometimes get stuck on the menu following a raid.
-   Fixed a bug where you could sometimes get stuck on the menu following a religious exile.
-   Fixed an issue with the save game name entry box appearing on the title screen.
-   A few typos fixed.

There are still other bugs in the game of course, but we'll include them in a bigger patch. Our priority is now gameplay changes and bigger system changes. That’s going to take a while, but I’ll post regular updates so you can see how things are progressing.

Once again, thanks to everybody who took a chance on us and bought and supported the game so far. We did not expect (or even hope) the game would find an audience as big as it has so soon. I know Atomic Society isn’t for everybody, but if you like what’s there already, you’re probably going to love it by the time we’re finished.

I'll be in touch on the forums and things in the meanwhile.

Asid:
Dev Blog #32: First Big Update In The Works + Launch Reflections

It’s been a hectic 2 weeks since we began our Early Access journey. In that time collected and sorted through hundreds and hundreds of comments, released a necessary bug-fixing patch, and we’re hard at work on the first big content update for Atomic Society, which will address some of that feedback.

For those who are new to Atomic Society and don't know, every month I release a dev blog about what it’s like making your first ever indie game (this month I've written 2). These blogs also cover new stuff we’re working on. I’ve been doing this ever since the game was a few words in a notebook.

If you don’t care about the behind-the-scenes stuff/personal ramblings and just want to find out about the new content coming to the game, skip about halfway down to the new content section (the title is in caps).

October 2018: The Craziest Month So Far

Last time I wrote a blog, we were a few days away from launching, and had no idea at all what the future held. Of course I hoped the game would find a a sustainable audience, but every indie dev wants that, and the odds of standing out in such a crowded marketplace are tiny, especially without a publisher. I literally had no idea if we would be noticed at all.

Well, to cut a long story short, the Early Access launch went better than anybody on the team could've dreamed about (albeit we had low expectations!). We know there’s a long way to go with this game, but thanks to all the players who took a chance on the game already, we’ll soon be able to dedicate more time and money to making Atomic Society than we’ve ever been able to do so before. We can now consider going part-time with our day jobs and afford all the essential things we need to finish the game.

The Build Up

Launching this game on Early Access was probably the most stressful moment of my entire life.

The stress really began a few days before. Putting the final touches to the launch trailer, then endless hours writing emails to press, while working late into the night doing the final testing took a heavy toll as I knew it would. The last improvement to the game (a fix by Nick that improved save game times over 90%) went into the game at 3am on launch day. After that we couldn’t physically do anything else. We just had to sit back and hope. If we’d missed something in that tired blur of work, our entire career might be sunk before it had started. At least that’s how it felt.

We had one sign of hope when Keralis made a positive video about the game before launch, and our wishlist numbers went up by about 4-5k (we were averaging about 100 new wishlists a week before then). Maybe things were going to be okay? It was really hard to tell what the word of mouth about the game would be.

After about 1 hour of sleep, the 3 of us gathered at my home for that clichéd indie dev team launch moment. It felt like we should be together. Unfortunately Adam (our second part-time coder) lives in the US, so he couldn’t join us but he was there in spirit. We ate pizza. We waited. We tried to make jokes. Nick coped with stress by falling asleep. Nani wanted to fight. I felt physically ill. With about 60 minutes to go, my heart rate was literally racing around 180bpm while I was just sitting down. We chose to launch at 4pm, which is when we felt America would be waking up - and because Nani had to work nights at her day job. After counting down the final seconds we hit the magic green button.

Outcome Equals

There is that weird period after launching. Everything goes silent and you’re just waiting for random internet people to either rant at you because it doesn’t work and/or they hate it… Or you find out it does work (for most people) and lots of people quite like what you’re doing. We were extremely relieved to be in the second camp and got to see our little game on the front page of Steam. Seeing a game you've made at home on a shoestring budget outsell Assassin's Creed even for a tiny moment in history was fun.

Extremely relieved probably doesn’t cut it. I’ve wanted to create games ever since I was a kid. It was the first proper career I ever went for as an adult. But things didn’t work out for me in the AAA business. I didn't want to crunch for years making games I didn't believe in, and ended up drifting around in a dozen other blue collar jobs until I finally stumbled across the right opportunity and people to turn a game idea of mine into reality. It's been a rough road. However, seeing a childhood dream become reality this month with any degree of success feels like weight off my shoulders. I've finally proved to myself I can make an okay game (even in its present rough state) and maybe we’ll even be able to afford to keep doing this. It's really humbling. Life doesn't always work out this way.

It hasn't been easy or fast. Nobody recommends making a game like this as their first ever full software project. Experienced indie devs have warned us to stop on more than one occasion, but we wanted to make Atomic Society. So what else could we do?

Aftermath

The weeks after the launch were comparatively easy, but still tense and emotional. There was one surreal night to celebrate, but work had to go on. We really wanted to get a bug-fixing patch released within a week to show we take problems with the game seriously, and fortunately Nick was able to solve the last remaining serious glitches in that space of time and we've released our first small update already.

While that was going on, we had to work out if great launch week would translate into a sustainable income. Obviously the vast majority of sales come within the first week or 2. Afterwards the sales curve goes down and down and you just sit there hoping it’ll going to level out somewhere sustainable that you can get by on. So far I think we're going to manage, but we're not taking anything for granted.

And lastly, in the weeks after I launch, I had to face some personal challenges. Being a shy, overly people-pleasing kind of guy, I had to cope with a much, much bigger audience on Steam and the obvious fact not everybody can like the game. Most people are great even if they have big problems with AS, they want to help the game better and they phrase it that way. And some people just want to personally insult me and the game. Bad reviews happen, and rightly or wrongly I read them. If I’m feeling particularly masochistic, I even read the refund comments. I know this happens to every game, and I didn't expect our review score to be as high as it is, but I've had to stop being so sensitive.

​I’m actually finding it therapeutic in a shock-therapy sort of way. I’m still anxious every single time I check our Steam discussion forum, and wince when I open certain threads, but it's getting easier each day. Maybe I'll finally get some thicker skin at long last!

And on the plus side, the community around the game continues to be really level-headed around the political/social side of AS. I thought I might have to be moderating comments, but people from all walks of life seem to be enjoying it for what it is and living out the post-apocalyptic fantasy.

NEW CONTENT PROGRESS

There has been so much feedback on the game since we launched that it took me weeks just to process it all and turn it into concrete steps we can work on. I still have hours and hours of YouTube footage to go through and study, but we’ll get there. It’s been eye-opening finding out what so many different types of people want, and I’m glad we’re on Early Access so we can do something about it.

The next content update is going to be a mixture of things. Some of it will be tweaking and adjusting things that players have (quite rightly) suggested and requested. And the rest will be adding in more of the features we really want to add to flesh out the experience.

Here’s some of the things that we’ve been working right now. Rest assured this is not the full list of what’s coming in the next update by a long shot, it’s just the things we’re working on over the last week as we put it together. We tend to release big, chunky updates that hopefully make it worthwhile for existing players to restart the game. ​

Unlimited Population & Respawning Loot Ruin

I guess the "story" of Atomic Society is about creating a little township and society that could be the seed of a new nation. Each update we make should increase the time it takes to get that little township going and make it a more epic journey. However, we understand there's still a lot of content missing, and some players just want to keep building and growing their town forever, so this week Adam has been working on making migration to your town essentially infinite. In the next update you'll be able to keep growing and build a town of 1000s if that's what you want. There will still be a "story" goal to get about 350 people and build that small settlement (and we'll expand the things you need to do to get there), but after that you can keep growing. Be warned though the game is not optimised yet and it is going to take a beefy PC to build a huge town with all those people in it!

Letting players build mega-towns obviously means changing how loot works in the game too, because right now each map only has so much salvage on it. Therefore Adam is also busy tweaking the ruins so they respawn with loot. We're balancing it so you’ll still have to venture deeper into the wasteland as the game goes by, but eventually the ruins nearest you will get their loot back. We’re also adding in a few extra ruins in spaces where we think players need to travel too far to get them.

We have some early plans for alternate ways to get salvage coming in future updates as well, but respawning loot is the first step.

Day/Night Cycle

This has been on our to-do list for ages and Nick is finally working on this. It’s just a cosmetic feature obviously but it should add some atmosphere to the game in the next update. Don’t worry, it will be optional. We’re going to let you pause the sun if you don’t like playing at night, or you want to freeze the game with a cool sunset, etc. It should be fun seeing the sun and shadows move around your town though.

Rebindable Controls

Nick has just finished this feature in the past few days, and it will be included in the next update. It's one of those things we just ran out of time to put into the launch version. You’ll soon be able to assign anything to whatever you want. I’m hoping this will solve a few people’s issues with our own choice of controls.

Lots of UI Tweaks

Nani has been really busy this week tinkering with the UI. As people requested it, we have made the text size bigger throughout the game, making it more comfortable to read no matter what your monitor size, and various elements of the UI has been made more visually interesting and we’re rewording things that didn’t make sense. All these little changes add up. We know there's a lot of polish to add.

Rebalancing Work

Every version we adjust and improve the balance of the game. So far medicine has been made stronger, as it didn’t last long enough, and some of the side-effects of picking certain laws (such as innocent execution) have been toned down. We have some new buildings in mind as well which will create new challenges.

Other Feedback

As I mentioned there's a lot more planned for this update, and several more updates to come. We’ve been hearing a lot from players that they’d like to see the religion system in the game expanded, and they’d like the laws and social issues feature to be deepened as well. All I can say about this right now is we totally agree and we'll do what we can. We also hear you about the camera, and that you’d like more info on what your buildings are producing and doing and who’s working where, etc.

Conclusion

Expect this first major update to arrive in December, in time for Christmas. I know that’s a 2 month wait since launch, but it takes 2 months to get in the big changes we really want to make and to give people a substantial leap forward in the game. I will be posting here in the meantime though so you can see how progress is continuing. If something happens and we can release it sooner, I'll obviously let people know.

Thanks again to those who decided to support development and offer their time to make a review, give feedback and constructive criticism. We have more enthusiasm and resources to make the game than we've ever had before, and we're going to keep pouring all the love and time we've got into expanding this game.

I'll be in touch, and if you want even more up to date news on development try our Discord[discord.gg] or Twitter as I'm around there on a daily basis.

Thanks for reading.

Asid:
Update 0.1.0.3 Released (Endless population, loot changes, bug fixes more)
Atomic Society - Far Road Games

It's been a busy month and we're pleased to say the first of many coming content updates is now available for Atomic Society. Your game should update automatically.

Major Changes:
•   Unlimited city population sizes. You can now build a huge settlement if you want. There is still an in-game “story” goal to achieve 350 citizens, but you are free to have as many people as you can keep alive and your computer can handle! Please note the game is not properly optimised yet and building a huge settlement of 1000s will require a powerful PC and increase save times considerably, but you can now expand forever.
•   Ruins now slowly (after 3 in-game years) can be salvaged again. This means you can never totally run out of loot totally and can a build a huge settlement forever if you wish, although you will still have to keep searching deeper and deeper into the wasteland until they’re ready to salvage again. This change allows players to keep build gigantic towns.
•   New custom difficulty option added that lets you decide how quickly ruins should respawn with loot. If you set this difficulty slider to its lowest, as soon as a ruin is empty it will refill with loot in a matter of days – essentially letting you play with infinite nearby resources if you want to build to your heart’s content.
•   You can now (provided you have built at least 1 guard tower) stop migrants from coming to your town. A button has been added to main the UI panel (bottom left) to do this. Feel free to use this feature if you feel overwhelmed with dead bodies, or just think you’ve grown large enough. Be wary though, it will take time for word to spread that your town is open/closed for strangers, so plan ahead.
•   Rebindable controls. All the main controls in the game can now be fully rebound to whatever you want. The tutorial will also now automatically adapt to the keys you’ve picked.
•   There is now a new third method for handling raiders called “Ignore”. If choose this option you will simply refuse to speak to the raiders again until they actually manage to do some damage to your settlement. If they do damage you, their demand menu will pop up again. This will prevent the raiding text boxes from popping up when you’re fully safe and defended.

Other Changes:

•   The max zoom out distance of the camera has been greatly increased on all maps letting you see a lot further.
•   A new interface option has been added to hide the “You exiled believers!” text box if it bothers you. The duration between exiles has also been increased so it happens once per in-game month.
•   The font size has been increased throughout the game, to make it easier to read on smaller screens.
•   Medicine (both salvaged and homemade) now lasts twice as long, so you need less of it to keep your medical buildings stocked.
•   Various menus have had visual improvements to make them more visually pleasing/understandable and certain icons have been re-made to make their functions more understandable.
•   The “Mormon” religion has been re-named to “Church of Jesus Christ” as per latest information.
•   Some new ruins have been added in certain places on various maps where we felt it was too hard to get specific resources.
•   The chance of all side-effects occurring (such as innocent execution) has been toned down slightly.
•   The chance of terrorism if you torture people into converting has been reduced.
•   Certain aspects of the belief system feature have been re-worded to make it more logical/understandable.
•   Adjusted the belief menu so you can see all 5 religions without having to scroll down.
•   A warning has been added to the frozen island map description to warn players you should only pick this one if you’re an experienced player.
•   Improved a ground texture on the Iceberg map.
•   Citizens no longer clip inside of each other when they exit a building but find a clear space instead.
•   Corrected various typos.

Bug Fixes:

•   Fixed a bug where the Town Leader could get permanently stuck underground if a building collapsed on them just as they entered it.
•   Fixed a bug where the camera was still snapping to the leader when you chose to educate/torture people, even if you had disabled this option.
•   Fixed a bug where custom difficulty settings did not always persist through a save and load. This fix will not apply to existing save games unfortunately, only to new custom games.
•   Fixed an issue where goals could sometimes stay ticked off if you completed them and then started a new game.
•   Fixed a bug with the cooldown timer for changing your belief decisions looking odd after loading a save game.
•   Fixed text elements being truncated on citizen’s bios, such as long song titles.

---

Thanks to everybody who took the time to tell us of bug reports or gameplay feedback during our first month on Steam. It's been really helpful.

I'm hopeful we can put out another update on this scale around Christmas time, and then early next year we will take a little longer to work on some bigger changes/features for the game such as new buildings/social choices.

Best wishes & happy playing,

Scott & The Team

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version