Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Germany lifts ban on Nazi symbols in video games  (Read 3278 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Germany lifts ban on Nazi symbols in video games
« on: August 10, 2018, 01:03:33 AM »
Germany lifts ban on Nazi symbols in video games
9 August 2018 • 5:54pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/09/germany-lifts-ban-nazi-symbols-video-games/

Hitler's toothbrush moustache was digitally removed from the German version of WW2-themed video game Wolfenstein II

omputer and video games can include swastikas and other Nazi symbols, a German industry body said Thursday, after a heated debate over the "Wolfenstein" franchise in which gamers battle Third Reich forces.

The game was previously deemed to have fallen foul of the German criminal code, which bars any depiction of so-called "anti-constitutional" symbols, including Nazi swastikas.

Accordingly in "Wolfenstein II," images of Adolf Hitler were doctored to remove his moustache and the swastika in the Nazi flag was replaced with a triangular symbol.

This sparked an uproar in the gaming community, prompting calls for games to be treated like films.

Because movies are deemed works of art, they are exempt from the ban, similar to material used in research, historical or scientific purposes.

Films set in the World War II-era, for instance, are allowed to be screened in Germany with Nazi symbols.

The Entertainment Software Self-Regulation Body (USK) said video games will in future be examined as to whether they constitute such exceptions.

The industry body, which is responsible for providing age ratings on video games, made the decision after it was tasked to determine what is socially permissible in video games by Germany's youth protection services.

"Through the change in the interpretation of the law, games that critically look at current affairs can for the first time be given a USK age rating," said Elisabeth Secker, USK managing director.

"This has long been the case for films and with regards to the freedom of the arts, this is now rightly also the case with computer and video games," she said.

USK will perform its new task responsibly, she added.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Frankie

• HAVOC
  • From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
Re: Germany lifts ban on Nazi symbols in video games
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 07:20:01 AM »
Does this mean that we will seeing swastikas on the tails of Me109s, of popular historical WW2 combat flight simulators,  any time soon?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Offline Selva

• -= Hk =-
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 04:49:11 PM »
I think that they just made the life of devs a little bit easier. Users already do such things to get a more realistical game, so, a win-win situation.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Archtung Panzer!

Offline wilso845

• HAVOC
  • ArmA
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 05:11:12 PM »
Does this mean that we will seeing swastikas on the tails of Me109s, of popular historical WW2 combat flight simulators,  any time soon?

i read on the  forum that its to do with legal issues in Russia so it might not be allowed
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

AGT 1500 start-up Video

Started by assassin7

Replies: 0
    Views: 2540
    Last post September 23, 2015, 01:53:58 AM
    by assassin7
    Tornado - Matsimus weaves his magic with this video tribute to the Tonka

Started by Frankie

Views: 1938
    Last post April 02, 2018, 02:02:52 PM
    by Frankie
    8 curious ways military forces use video game applications

Started by Asid

Views: 3000
    Last post August 04, 2015, 10:26:55 PM
    by Asid
    Youtube fishing video named - What The Hell Did I Hook !!!?

Started by Lumituisku

Views: 2218
    Last post June 29, 2016, 05:33:25 PM
    by Lumituisku
    The Defense of Jisr Al Doreaa: Video series

Started by Asid

Replies: 2
    Views: 3845
    Last post August 15, 2015, 08:26:11 PM
    by Asid