Translations for our friends around the world.

New URL: www.Schwerpunkt.Games

Click image to go to main site  www.Schwerpunkt.Games

Author Topic: Multiple Hex Data Problems  (Read 4961 times)

Offline RocketMan

• Space is only 100mn up
Multiple Hex Data Problems
« on: August 04, 2018, 11:11:02 PM »
There are a lot of problems in the map in the area on the Southern Poland border. As can be seen in the attached screenshot, by selecting a move action for the 18th Mountain Corps (Movement of 8 ) in the Poland 1939 scenario (clear weather) you get shown the hexes the HQ can move to. The following problems are evident:

1) The HQ should be able to move to the hex labeled "1" (230,199). From playing around with other units in the area, it appears that the two hexes occupied by the 1st and 3rd Mountain divisions (225,197 and 226,198) cost 2 MPs to enter, instead of the 1 it should due to the Road/RR in the hexes.
2) The HQ should be able to enter the hex labeled "2" (224,194). No idea why it can't.
3) The HQ should be able to enter the hex labeled "3" (218,194). No idea why it can't, but there is obviously some problem with at least one of the following hexes 218,194 - 218,195 - 218,196.
4) Weirdly, the HQ can move to the hex Southeast of Zvolen (223,203), but not into Zvolen itself (221,202).

It would be helpful to have some type of indication of how many MPs a move took to a certain hex. Displaying the move costs in the white highlighted hexes would be nice, or perhaps an indication in the command box of how many MP the hex under the cursor costs in total move points from the destination hex. No idea how hard coding any of that is, but it would be easier to determine what is wrong if there was more information provided.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline RocketMan

• Space is only 100mn up
Re: Multiple Hex Data Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 11:45:10 PM »
Along the Wisla river in Southern Poland around Krakow, there are also multiple problems (again Poland 1939 Scenario, clear weather). As can be seen from the attached screenshots, The major river seems to be coded properly south of the 1st Polish Mountain Brigade (on the right of the picture, hex 228,190) but not North of the 6th polish Infantry Division (on the left of the picture, hex 228,191). I checked other hexes along the river upstream of hexes 228,190 - 228-191 and there are multiple other places where this situation occurs.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline RocketMan

• Space is only 100mn up
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 12:25:21 AM »
Also along the Wisla river in Southern Poland around Krakow in hexes 227,190 and 227,191, the Major river seems to be coded incorrectly as well (again, Poland 1939 Scenario, clear weather).

As can be seen from the attached screenshots, South of the 1st Polish Mountain Brigade (4 MPs, on the right of the picture, hex 227,190) the river seems to be coded properly (although why the 1st Polish Mountain Brigade can't move to the two hex South and Southeast of its location along the road/rr is a mystery as the Bie HQ and 10th Mech Brigade in the screenshots can move along the roads their full movement allowance).

As the screenshot on the left of the attached picture shows, the 2nd Polish Mountain Brigade (4 MPs, hex 227,191) can move its full 4 MPs due north over the major river.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline RocketMan

• Space is only 100mn up
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 01:01:43 AM »
I can't even begin to explain what's going on in the picture attached to this post. All the screenshots show the 21st Polish Mountain Division which has 4 MPs in the Poland 1939 Scenario, clear weather. The unit is shown in hex 223,191 in the screenshot on the left of the picture, 222,191 in the middle, and 221,190 on the right. Hexes the unit shouldn't be able to move to have a white dot on them and hexes the unit should be able to move to have a red dot on them.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 05:07:44 PM by RocketMan »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline RocketMan

• Space is only 100mn up
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 01:47:31 AM »
The following screenshots are from the East Front Blitzkrieg, 1941 scenario, clear weather. In the screenshot on the left of the attached picture, the German 102nd Security Corps (8 MPs) in hex 223,172, can move down the RR towards Radom and points Southwest, while in the screenshot on the right of the attached picture the German 2nd Infantry Army Corps (8MPs) in hex 223.173 can't for some reason. The German 2nd Infantry Army Corps should also be able to move to Lowicz, but is unable to.

My feeling is that there is something wrong in the code for such different behavior to be exhibited by units in adjacent hexes. I will wait for Ron's response before I point out any more errors.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 04:51:28 PM by RocketMan »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt Games Developer
    • Schwerpunkt
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 02:16:31 AM »
Hi Rocketman,

Thanks for looking into each of these cases.  My experience is that we are looking at one issue.  The way that WWE calculates a move is that it looks at each destination hex within "MF" number of hexes of the moving unit selected.  It then looks at paths to each destination hex.  If it finds a valid path, then it marks the hex and it will have a white highlight on the hex border.  You have given me more than enough cases to try and find the issue, so I would take a break until I get the IDE and look more closely at it.  The cost of each terrain is a fairly complicated piece of code since it involves hexsides and terrain within the hex and weather and enemy units/ZOC.  It cannot be calculated once and stored.

Thanks again.  Will keep everyone posted as I look for this issue.
Ron
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt Games Developer
    • Schwerpunkt
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 03:25:19 AM »
I studied the code all day, and found that there was a spot where the enemy ZOC had a 2 MF impact on moves.  It was done for both sides (Axis and Allies).  Will do some more testing, but I believe I have fixed it.

Also augmented the Help file to state that units are eliminated when their combat losses are >= their DF.

A good start to v 1.0.11!

Thanks,
Ron
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Serious Map error in coastal hexes of North Africa

Started by Franciscus