Translations for our friends around the world.

Scourge Of War

Author Topic: HistWar new GUI  (Read 11650 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
HistWar new GUI
« on: July 30, 2018, 08:24:18 PM »
GUI / IHM Preview

Published on Jul 26, 2018
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: HistWar new GUI
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 04:31:40 PM »
A new video should be up later today showing the work done.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Skoop

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 05:50:20 PM »
I actually have this, but haven't touched it in years.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline General Sandman

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 06:25:44 PM »
I actually have this, but haven't touched it in years.

Same here. I got both, HWLG and HWN, at the very moment when they ve been released. ... And didnt touch em since about 4 years, because some bad behaviours and physics can affect a game too much. Hopefully the reworks will fix it.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Who we were

“We were the ones who knew but did not understand, well informed but without insight, overloaded with factual data but poor in experience and wisdom. So we went, not stopped by ourselves."

Based on Roger Willemsen R.I.P.

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 05:31:34 PM »
This is a great, immersive wargame. This is a one man project mostly. He is very passionate about the game and that can cause many delays.....   :whistle

I am in constant touch with the developer and the game is moving forward...Though slowly.  :oldman2

The video has been delayed. Hopefully it will be up today.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 11:49:33 PM »
HistWar : New GUI

Published on Oct 12, 2018
The new GUI : for better control.
La nouvelle IHM : pour un meilleur controle.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Skoop

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 12:36:16 AM »
Nice, I may have to fire it up and check it out.  It seemed really frustrating to play, I spent most of the time just marveling at the authentic uniforms and formations.  I justified the purchase as more of a napoleonic war museum to tour around than an actual game.  Once scourge of war came out I kinda forgot about this game.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 01:52:29 PM »
Deep games/sims like this take time to learn and understand the mechanics.

The developer is moving forward slowly and making improvements all the time.

This can be played very well in multiplayer.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 04:46:38 PM »
I have some pre-release images I am about to post.

Some are exclusive to DOW
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 04:51:22 PM »
Work in progress screenshots

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline zakblood

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 11:23:54 AM »
something i'd be interested in, but time scale of start to where it has got to now is good for a one man team, but with no end date in terms of, it's not his day job is anyone guess, so maybe when it's done, but not until for me :'(
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2020, 02:44:12 AM »

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 03:34:00 AM »
Histwar: Napoleon Line vs Line
16 Oct 2020

This is a short video showing Line v Line using a development build of Histwar Napoleon. You will see the new GUI being used.

French infantry line v Russian Infantry line

French : 1er regiment Infanterie de Ligne under Colonel Saint-Martin (Jean), 2952 men

Russian : Leib-Gvardii Preobrazhenskii under Colonel Mihail Kozlovski-I, 3120 men

French Orders: attack against Leib-Gvardii Preobrazhenskii
Colonel Saint-Martin deploy skirmishers.
You then see the French Line formation engage the enemy.

Russian Orders: None : AI manages the regiment behaviour

After several minutes of intense fire, the French retreat before fleeing.

Yes, the game is still alive and kicking. JMM works on it almost daily. I have seen and experienced some of what is to come and it is exciting...I know that it has been a long wait but it will be worth it. I will try to keep you updated.

Regards

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Hammer

• RLGaming.com
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 05:57:59 AM »
Asid,
Can you compare and contrast with SOWWL?  Thoughts?  I have semi-followed Histwar on and off for  many years but nothing I saw (or tried demo wise) convinced me to purchase like SOWWL did.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline General Sandman

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 06:09:45 PM »
In SoW there arent any vital Flaws like in HW. HW always had probs with collision issues, unit passiveness, ballistics in context with terrain, unit cooperation like Arty-protection or its self-protection either, by falling back in time or redeploying with the main body. In SP I remember big shortcomings of the AI on strategic level, altough this matter doesnt really harm MP.

To understand HW and to compare the two projects, we have to see certain major facts:

- HW hasnt been completed yet and I am not at least 80 % sure, if it ever will be. But nevertheless I have confidence in the ambition and the long term big efforts of the developer.
Thinking about a purchase, I recommend to wait for future versions and corresponding feedbacks.

- HW is meant to be conducted on larger scale with less micromanaging, although it still provides functions to take over command on small levels. But according my experience its problematic to intervene the AI too much.

- HW is running with 2 paralell but seperately operating engines. The major engine simulates the battle by calculating numerous parametres, but only displaying this in the 2D-map-view, while the second engine more or less displays the results in the 3D-view, but lacking to do so in every detail and accuracy. That means, what you see in 3D sometimes reflects only roughly what happens in the simulated battle.
That said, to judge HW it is vital to recognize the performance of the inner engine propperly.

Features and lackings:

In  HW units/formations arent able to make use and benefit from using roads like in SoW.
In HW, other than SoW, its possible to transfer untis to other formations/players.
SoW is much more friendly in letting the player intervene micromanaging, while HW actually isnt meant to do so.
Although HW appears running RT there are 1-minute-intervalls for micro-outcome-calculations, while SoW calculates each second.
HW implements different weather and climate conditions and their effect on troops and terrain and also displays those graphically. Here SoW is lacking very much.
In SoW the smallest unit is always the battaillon, while in HW the total number of units is limited to 110, so that in bigger battles the smallest cmd level is the regiment. Here IMO we see a bigger disadvantage for HW, cos formation-building cannot be performed in detail for each battailon seperatly and also routing then effects more troops than in case of more detailed scaled OOBs.
According the documentation, HW claims to be more realistic in battle mechanisms by considering more parametres for outcome calculations as SoW.
Also in MP HW can display the troops in 1:2 ratio and it was announced to perform a 1:1 ratio in an upcoming version. HW also claims to implement a campaign function. A version displaying all sprites in 3D is expected to be almost completed.
HW avoids overlapping of units or let those move "through" each other, which realistically would cause a lot of disporder and the requirement of wasteful reorganizations. For purists this bad habit of SoW is a PitA. If routing units in HW collide with following ones, they sometimes make them rout too or at least cause disorder making them much less effective.
To me final calculations of losses and captives in HW sometimes didnt appear to be adequately plausible regarding the concrete observations in a battle.
IMO both games sometimes dont work pausible, when generating surrenders of units, although a majority of surrounding units are friendlies.
IMO HW on realism settings performs the delay of order implementation a bit more realistic than SoW. For exemple, when an order reaches the smallest level of accessible hierarchy, it still needs time to forward it to the lower officers and theri troops to keep the whole body synchronized. Another creteria is the limitation of available couries.
At this time, I think that the AI on BDE level of SoW is very crafty in comparison to most other wargames on the market. To make use of its AI on divisional and corps level, I think it is very important to understand the mechanics to know about what it can afford or not in certain battle constellations.
Regarding HW the so called GTAI (Grand tactical AI) IMO is also performing well, but sometimes fails in a number of situtations. But as already mentioned, it is still in development.
HW provides a function to build and maintain a defence line letting the AI rebuild it dynamicly, while SoW fails in that discipline, cos the AI wont check to hold certain postions or terrain, but attacks the adjacent enemy more or less depending on the given stance, without returning to the intial position. To hold a static line it needs intensive miromanaging, except when selecting the "hold to the last" stance, which on the other hand is much too passive, making the whole line too vulnerable and easy to fight.
While SoW only reflects Napoleon´s last campaign, HW provides almost all important campaigns/scenarios.
Both games are moddable, while HW provides an original map/oob/scenario builder.

I surely didnt discuss all aspects worth to be mentioned and I refer on the last official versions of HW, not the latest BETAs. All in all I think many important points have been described.
The essential conclusion is, that we still have to watch the progress of HW.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 10:17:21 PM by General Sandman »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
Members reacted informative:
Biondo,Asid,
No reactions

Who we were

“We were the ones who knew but did not understand, well informed but without insight, overloaded with factual data but poor in experience and wisdom. So we went, not stopped by ourselves."

Based on Roger Willemsen R.I.P.

Tags:

HistWar : Les Grandes Batailles Eylau 1807

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 2911
    Last post November 22, 2020, 03:26:55 AM
    by Asid
    Napoleon's spyglass found at Plas Newydd on Anglesey

Started by Asid

Replies: 1
    Views: 4564