Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: The Caribbean Sail  (Read 5709 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
The Caribbean Sail
« on: July 20, 2018, 03:31:04 PM »

A dark and humorous 8-bit roguelite adventure about sailing the world in the 1700's - Developed by one nautical enthusiast!

Homepage: Here
Official forum: Here
Steam: Here
Buy from the dev: Here
YouTube: Here

Single-player

The Caribbean Sail - Launch Trailer

Published on Jun 21, 2018

About

Set sail across the Atlantic with your best friend, food. Food will keep you alive and food will keep you well- you get food by throwing harpoons at fish and turtles. Then one day BAM! The RNG screws you over and throws a pirate ship at you and you're forced to fight and defend your food!

The next thing you know, Johnny Macguffin is dying from an infected battle wound and you're amputating his leg to save his life- then you realize everyone is starving because Marvin Buttercup ate all the food and you're out of harpoons, on a raft, 2,000 miles from land, and it's raining.

The story is yours and unique every playthrough!

Features List:

The Exciting Stuff!
•   8-bit renditions of nautical shanties and folk songs!
•   Online messages in bottles!
•   Changing your flag to fool your enemies!
•   A branching storyline for you to become a Pirate or Privateer!
•   Liars Dice!
•   Harpoon Fishing!
•   Treacherous Reefs!
•   Naval Skirmishes!
•   Eleven locations around the world to visit!
•   Barnacle Scraping!
•   Hypnotic Water!
•   Particle Effects!
•   Dark Whimsy!
•   Secrets and Easter eggs!
•   Narwhal attacks!
•   -and NO crafting! I promise!

Two large content expansions are being developed and will be added for free
•   Route Planning - Plot your own course across the Atlantic and visit new locations! Complete!
•   Fantasy Toggle - Fantastic legends of the sea, myths, monsters, and more brought to life!

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:18:53 PM by Asid »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: The Caribbean Sail
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 03:32:49 PM »
Update history: here

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 03:33:46 PM »
Route Planning Trailer

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 03:21:48 PM »
V1.6.9 - Discord Rich Presence
15 APR @ 11:18PM   - VICTORIAN CLAMBAKE

Another patch to delay obsolescence.

I finally added the Discord rich presence. *
Three achievements are new.
Did some bug fixing too.
Enjoy the new features with much effervescence!

* There were bugs with the Linux and Mac builds I ported,
so for Discord rich presence, only Windows is supported.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 11:05:31 PM »
Fantasy Toggle Expansion - Progress Update
29 Aug @ 10:15pm - Victorian Clambake

We've come a long way but we've still got a long way to go.

If you're clueless about the Fantasy Toggle expansion, read this! https://steamcommunity.com/games/TCS/announcements/detail/1768130575204688104

If you've been paying attention to development, you'll know this expansion is taking longer than I first estimated. That's because Fantasy Toggle isn't as big as Route Planning was... it's twice as big. https://steamcommunity.com/games/TCS/announcements/detail/1666776116214568189

Feast your eyes on a few of the completed features!

Involuntary Diving!

Digging up other peoples retirement plans!

Stuff I haven't told you about! - and I'm not going to.

Twice as many new professions and vessels to unlock!

When will it be released?
January 31st - 2020 ...is when I want to open testing.

After two years of development, I have a high standard of quality for this final content update. The sheer amount of interconnected systems has made development particularly tricky. Making the entirety of Fantasy mode optional (hence the "Toggle") has been comparable to building a new game inside of a pre-existing game.

While a lot of progress has been made, my original estimate was simply unrealistic.
We learn, we move on.

Unfortunately the Jolly Riot demo won't be ready until at least mid 2020 because I'll be focused on finishing development of The Caribbean Sail. Progress is still being made and you should follow then wishlist Jolly Riot if you'd like to learn more about my next project!

If you'd like to yap at me, be sure to climb aboard our verified Discord server![discord.gg]

Thank you for joining me on this long voyage.
- Your Captain, Evan :TCS_Tophat:

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 11:35:28 PM »
Fantasy Toggle - Development Progress Update
Tue, 7 January 2020

Another year, another particle effect filled update!

This progress update marks the third year since development first began.
It's been a long journey and the end is finally in sight.

If the words "Fantasy Toggle" mean nothing to you, then click here! https://steamcommunity.com/games/TCS/announcements/detail/1768130575204688104

Particles... Ah...

I've been hard at work throughout the holiday season while hiding beneath a pile of oilskins to ward off influenza. Now it's time for a mid voyage progress report!

What's done?

- All the new locations
- All the new unlockable ships and professions
- Nearly all of the new mechanics and systems
- Some of the new particle effects

What's left?

- The new events
- The new opportunities
- The new items
- The new storyline
- The rest of the new particle effects

That's the short version.

Much like the furnace above, this development cycle has burned up time quickly.

I said this in the last progress report and I'll say it again. Creating Fantasy Toggle has been comparable to creating a new game inside of an old game. Implementing new systems while maintaining old mechanics is like trying to sail a clipper ship against the wind- it's slow progress and things keep breaking.

Throw in the new Mac update demanding 64-bit binaries when GM:S 1.4 can only handle 32 and I've got a shark sized problem on my hands to bring the entirety of The Caribbean Sail into GameMaker 2 at some point. The engine upgrade shouldn't take too long but becoming a verified app developer? New waters for this young rogue.

Like the lasers fired from the Cybership above, sometimes we miss our target.

What does this all mean?

The opening of beta has been moved to April 30th.

The participants have all been hand-picked which means if you'd like to test out Fantasy Toggle when the time comes? You should climb aboard the official Discord!

After Fantasy Toggle is complete, The Caribbean Sail will be twice the game it is now!
This also means that I'll be increasing the price once again to reflect the new value.

There are more plans after Fantasy though! A soundtrack, merch, potentially a physical edition?! Time will tell but until then, I'll be at the helm of development!

- Your Captain, Evan.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 02:09:05 PM »
Fantasy Toggle - Beta Beginning
Fri, 1 May 2020

Belay being bored because beta begins!

It's been over a year since development began on the Fantasy Toggle expansion and it's finally time to start testing.

This megalodon can't wait to sink his teeth into your ship.

What's happening?

As of today, the final preparations to release Fantasy Toggle are underway!
The game has become so internally complex that I've already got a list of known bugs to start fixing. Rather than making the beta public and wasting time responding to forum threads and bug reports, the beta will be done in stages.

I'm having my friends take the first trick at the helm so I can watch how they play in person and see what does and doesn't make sense to them. After the bugs they found are flogged to death and the necessary improvements have been made, I'll have a few specifically chosen lads help improve the grammar and playtest on multiple platforms.

After every problem we could find has been addressed, I'll be porting TCS from GameMaker: Studio to GameMaker 2 and The Caribbean Sailors crew of beta testers will be brought aboard to make suggestions, hunt for bugs, give feedback and give me my much needed ego petting.

If Fantasy Toggle can survive all of that then I'll know she's ready for the sea.

That's probably not what you expected but it's better than watching her sink after the bottle christens her.

Remember when this big boi sneaked into the game on launch day? His time to shine will come soon.

What's left to do?

All of the content for Fantasy mode is nearly complete, but there's some polishing left to do.
New feature tutorials, gameplay balancing, achievements, fringe case scenarios that can leave you stuck or aimless, and other assorted little tasks to complete. Like adding more particle effects.

If you want to follow the progress, I'd recommend the official Victorian Clambake Discord Server or Twitter.

WHEN WILL IT BE DONE???

By the end of the month hopefully.
There's a lot to take into consideration that I can't estimate.
How many bugs will be found?
How hard will it be to port TCS through Game Maker 2?
How long will it take for Apple to approve the 64-bit Mac version?
What does Jenkins do with all the empty turtle shells we catch?

What I can say for sure is that I'm working hard to make the best game I can, which means taking the time to get it right. That's what the giant mollusk running Victorian Clambake mandated.

Captain! A fire breathing ship is trying to ram us!

What other words are you going to make me read in this long post?

These ones, and the next ones; Over the weekend you'll be able to plunder yourself a copy of The Caribbean Sail for $2.99 which you won't see again for a long time. After the sale I'm raising the price to $14.99 to reflect the new value. It will literally be two games in one.

After Fantasy Toggle, I'll have to "Gold Master" The Caribbean Sail and end development. Then I can release the soundtrack, make some merch, and see what else can be done with what I've created! It's been a long voyage but port is finally in sight.

Now it's time to head into the beta development storm.
- Your Captain, Evan.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 12:28:14 PM »
Fantasy Toggle - Setting Sail on the 16th
Sun, 7 June 2020

This is it lads! The final stretch! Nearly a year and a half of work on one giant expansion that triples the amount of content released to you free of charge!

For those of you who were invited to the Beta and are in the appropriate group, you may have missed an announcement there to access the Beta- Go join and start hunting bugs! We've already fixed a ton of issues and I'm confident that Fantasy Mode will be ready for release on the 16th.

Mac 64-bit may take a little longer to have completed, but I'll keep you all informed in the next post.

There's more planned to come afterwards. I know a lot of you have been begging me for years to put out the official soundtrack. It's coming.

Sometime soon after I'd also like to create some fabulous merchandise.
What would you lads like? Apart from the pirate Captain reclining on a T-Shirt.
Let me know in the abyss below!

The Caribbean Sail started as a simple nautical themed Oregon Trail and it's become a procedurally generated open world roguelike rags-to-riches pirate RPG with a branching narrative!

This project was massive. Much like the sailors pressed into service, I never could have imagined working on this for three years but here we are. My scope was definitely too large but I still managed to make a nautical game with everything you could want in it.

It's going to be strange moving away from this black, white, and cyan world I've been living in for three years but after you've all had time to play and give feedback I'll finally release the gold-mastered version and development will be 100% over. I plan on doing a few special things to celebrate that so keep your eyes fixed on the Victorian Clambake horizon for some more Caribbean Sail high jinks.

Fair winds be with you lads!
- Your fatigued Captain

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 02:38:28 PM »
FANTASY TOGGLE IS COMPLETE!
Wed, June 17, 2020

The gargantuan Fantasy Toggle expansion is finally complete and has been added for FREE

Alright lads, it may have taken me half a year longer than I expected, but nobody could have predicted the calamity maelstrom that has been 2020.

Unlike half the world, I passed my sanity check today, which means Fantasy Toggle is officially complete!

Short Changelog

Here's the short rundown of what I was able to implement in a year and a half: An optional Fantasy mode, four new locations, seven new professions, nine new ships, four new storylines, seven new shanties, eleven new achievements, a boatload of new events, a whole host of new encounters, new opportunities, an ammunition system, treasure hunting, walking the plank, airships, megalodons, the kraken, and more particle effects than you can shake a harpoon at!

* full changelog

+ Fantasy Mode Toggle added
+ Profile mode indicators added
+ Discord shortcut added to main menu
+ Difficulty choice added
+ Landlubber difficulty added
+ Crew recruitment added to Landlubber difficulty
+ Helpful tips guide updated
+ Names automatically carry over after death
+ Game Over screen added
+ 2890 user written bottle messages moderated and manually implemented
+ Crew soul system added
+ Seven new professions added
+ Nine very unique ships added
+ Steamship type added
+ Boiler and fueling mechanics added
+ New introduction borders added
+ New fantasy mode storyline added
+ Three new fantasy side storylines added
+ New opportunities added
+ Opportunities won’t repeat themselves if declined except for careening
+ Bribe opportunity price randomized
+ Treasure hunting added
+ Tarot reading added
+ Fate added
+ Luck added
+ Curses added
+ Boomacle barnacle added
+ Ammunition system added
+ Grapeshot ammo type added
+ Chainshot ammo type added
+ Smokepot ammo type added
+ Firework ammo type added
+ Laser ammo type added
+ “Massie’s Melody” shanty added
+ “The Trooper and the Maid” shanty added
+ “Bound for South Australia” shanty added
+ “Eddystone Light" shanty added
+ “Whiskey in the Jar” shanty added
+ “Where am I to go?” shanty added
+ “Blow ye winds” shanty added
+ Treasure map item added
+ Plank item added
+ Leeches item added
+ Ship’s cat item added
+ Wind salts item added
+ Whale vomit item added
+ Viricium item added
+ Magical teapot item added
+ Iron box item added
+ Puzzle box item added
+ Logbook item added
+ Astrolabe item added
+ Conch item added
+ Youth water item added
+ Devil’s pipes item added
+ Eyeless idol item added
+ Making crew walk the plank option added
+ Crew revival is now possible
+ Magical defense shield power added
+ Fog weather type added
+ Starlight weather type added
+ Abyssal weather type added
+ Ship encounter information screen adjusted
+ Unique flee messages for new ship types added
+ Combat firing arc can now be adjusted using the mouse wheel
+ Airship enemy type added
+ New lucky and unlucky events
+ Visible fish combo meter added to fantasy mode
+ Flying fish added
+ Crystal fish added
+ Kraken added
+ Physics enabled kraken and tentacles added
+ Two unique boss fight songs added
+ Foggy fishing weather added
+ Megalodon enemy added
+ Meat reward physics object added
+ Four unique new ports added
+ Three new port songs added
+ New conversationalists added in new and old ports
+ Skill tree now always accessible by pressing the “P” key
+ Reef crossing speed is now based on the “Navigation” perk
+ Mermaid encounter added
+ Floating chest encounter added
+ Albatross encounter added
+ Flying Dutchman encounter added
+ Walrus event added
+ Mutiny artwork updated
+ The eighth sea added
+ [Mystery] events added
+ [Mystery] system added
+ [Mystery] destination added
+ [Mystery] hint added
+ Eleven new achievements added
+ More particle effects added absolutely everywhere I could fit them

- Countless bugs removed
- Online bottle message functionality removed [AND THE GAME CRASHING BUG CAUSED BY IT]
- Whaling difficulty reduced
- Previous achievement triggers adjusted

[Note] This log was written by memory and looking at checklists while playtesting.
Many small changes were not mentioned and some additions may not be in the log.

Biggest Changes

No matter how many times I said "No" to crew recruitment, you lads kept taking it as a "Yes, but no themed" so I added a Landlubber difficulty setting that will allow you to keep your save file when you die and find a crew recruitment opportunity in any pub. You'll be doing it at the cost of your ability to earn achievements though so HAH! THERE! WHO GOT THE FINAL WORD IN?

Bottles out for Globalstats.io lads. I've taken the bottle message system offline because the functionality was woefully limited and continually caused a rare crash that was unable to be fixed from my side, but, with the help of two jolly tars I was able to save, moderate, and manually implement 2890 user written bottle messages making your chances of seeing the same two messages as low as recovering from the plague. You can also still write new messages that will be added to your local pool.

How to enable Fantasy Mode

Start a new save file and turn the lantern green by clicking on it!

I wanted to maintain the realism of Purist Mode while allowing the madness of Fantasy Mode so that you can play the nautical experience you prefer! Development was like building a game inside of another game which has been a playtesting nightmare. I think I'll do something easier next time, like developing a game using only my nose while upside-down and blindfolded.

What's next?

First, fixing any and all bugs you can find. After that I'm going to work on getting a 64-bit Mac version running and I'll also try to get a more optimized version for everyone. I'll also be updating the screenshots and working on a new trailer.

If you haven't already, leaving an honest review on the store page or updating an old one would be really helpful since so much has changed. Once you've had some time to play, you'll realize it's not the game it used to be at all.

I hope that I was able to bring the joy of exploration and mystery back into the world I created for you.

Fair winds to you all!
- Captain and Developer, Evan.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 01:14:40 AM »
The Caribbean Sail - V1.7.1
Tue, 21 July 2020

Only bug fixes and pitch patches.

Short patch poetry time!

The lads noticed some oversights dumb,
So I whipped up the fixes for some,
Bugs were solved with insight,
And the screenshots fit right,
The soundtrack is next to come!

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 12:42:55 AM »
V1.7.1.1 - The last bugs to die
Thu, 3 September 2020

Duplicating crew and pointless framerate dips are a thing of the past!

Ahoy there lads!

My lovely game has been cursed with inconsistent framerate issues which randomly pop by and I think that I have finally fixed the issue once and for all! Buy a better toaster. I changed the internal settings to alternate the synchronization method which has made things significantly more reliable.

There was another bug from the depths of hell sent to rain torment on my peace of mind which caused crew names to duplicate inexplicably. After months of ceaseless searching I've decided to just say "The outcome of exerting the time and energy to see this bug fixed does not outweigh the consequences of not seeing this bug fixed." so now it's a feature! In the rare event that this bug attacks your precious save file, you'll encounter a new event of finding a stowaway aboard!

There have also been some exciting things happening on the Discord channel, climb aboard and say "Ahoy!" if you're curious!

https://discord.gg/clambake

Three announcements are over the next wave so stay high and dry for a few more days!
- Your Captain, Evan

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 02:10:01 AM »
Limited Physical Run - Initial Timeline
Fri, 6 November 2020

I've seen your show of hands and have begun planning our final voyage!
Our final voyage together has begun lads.

About a month ago I shared the news of our next title, Shell Shuffle, along with my vision for a limited physical edition run of The Caribbean Sail. You've made your voices clear and the support we need is definitely here!

If you don't want to miss anything when the apocalypse inevitably occurs this winter and you repress every memory from 2020 then you need to join the Clambake Newsletter at the bottom of this page: https://victorianclambake.com/

Fore-warning; this read will be more dry than usual.

What is this all about?
What began as a little test, turned into a black and white pixelated passion project that consumed three years of my life. Looking back on my work now has shown me how unbelievably large this game really is, and it needs a proper send off celebration. I'll probably never be able to create another game like this.

My plan is to create and release a limited big box edition of The Caribbean Sail with the soundtrack and game on CD with a manual as was customary to old game releases. The perfect celebration of gaming and nautical history.

When? WHEN? WHEN!?!?!
Settle down there lads, I'm still a one man team when it comes to this project and I've barely begun the research. Winter is on the way and I don't want to compete with the holiday season or the Shell Shuffle development cycle. I'll need to have samples printed, CD's written, the manual designed, and other details sorted out before moving to production. Most important of all, the game will need to finally be gold mastered which means one final update. Can't update CD's after all.

Start stashing away your doubloons because I'll be coming for your coffers come springtime. I've decided to go with Kickstarter and the soonest possible time the campaign could be run is March 2021, don't take that as gospel though, it may not happen until even later.

I've been tallying up the costs and finding every corner I can possibly cut. I'll be manually assembling each package for shipment with my crew and sourcing each item from different manufacturers to get the best quality and value. Our minimum viable funding goal is currently $2,000 unless the manufacturing costs change.

After funding is complete, production will begin. Each piece will be manufactured and shipped to the Victorian Clambake studio for package assembly before being sent to those of you who become backers!
This may take anywhere from a few weeks to months so my best guess for the earliest time you can get your hands on a copy will be in June.

What will I get and how much will it be?
The base package will probably be $25 - $30*
-
One game CD and one soundtrack CD
One Caribbean Sail game manual filled with game tips, history snippets, lore, jokes, mysteries, the secret recipe for hardtack, and maybe some shanty lyrics
One retro sized big box with the box art printed on the front and that classic carefree Victorian Clambake brand marketing fodder on the back

Mid-tier package will probably be $50 - $60
-
Everything in the base package along with a flag that has the emblem of a Caribbean Sail style historic pirate (like the wallpapers that come with the soundtrack) or the iconic TCS skull and crossed arms.

Top-tier package will probably be $100
-
Everything in the other two tiers along with an autograph from yours truly and something delicate that will be a real challenge for me to create. (I'll need to actually make one before I say more)

All of these packages and prices are prone to change.
I'd like to have some game map posters printed too if I can ever find a decent value printer for them.

*(I'm either a product finance management logistics wizard, or I'm missing something huge because none of the special edition manufacturing companies thought I could get it done for less than $40 per unit without ordering thousands)

Summary
Save some doubloons, sign up for the newsletter, come fund the campaign in March/April and receive your very own physical copy of The Caribbean Sail around June!

I can't quite express the feeling of seeing how enthusiastic your support has been!
The closest comparison I can make would be to say it's like sailing from London to Shanghai on a Raft and surviving.

Thank you one and all for your help on this long journey!
- Your Captain, Evan

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 02:48:05 AM »
Time Saver Spotted off the Port Bow! - V1.7.1.2
Sat, 16 January 2021

Mind your harpoons lads, they're about to start disappearing.

It's been a trick at the helm and three bells since the last update.

I've implemented a little new feature to save you just a tad more of your fleeting mortal life from the ravages of time and tedium; Auto-fishing.

Right click on the "Go Fishing" button and one of your crew will get off their lazy rumps and inefficiently catch a few fish, but, mind your harpoons because some sailors have trouble counting and may throw up to five harpoons in a single session!

I'd like all of your feedback on this as it's currently the fastest way to get food but also the most inefficient. To me that seems right but I'm open to hearing you all out!

-but that's not the only change! "Oh Lord, what has he gone and done now?" I hear you all cry. Nothing else drastic this time, just a few water bugs murdered and a new line of dialogue for a few of the Captains.

Fixes
•   Flag pickups won't replace the spyglass and other important items when you defeat ships.
•   Holiday text won't run off the page.
•   The flotsam
•   Maximum ship speeds should no longer change when you reload a save.
•   Your sail will now be fully repaired when fixing your ship in port.
•   The battle tutorial is less prone to confusion and failure now.

News from the slow boat to china!

Physical edition is still underway. Shell Shuffle encountered some development hiccups and may take a couple more months to polish and beta test which pushes the TCS limited edition kickstarter back a bit. Remember to load the clambake cannon with your email over on victorianclambake.com so you don't miss the limited edition news as it comes!

Just so you don't leave empty handed today, here's a hint about that final secret backer reward.

Mind your boots don't get caught on any anchor lines and if your winds fare you well, I look forward to our next adventure together!

Your Captain
- Evan

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail

Started by Asid