Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: A319 FO windshield blowout. Real skilled pilot.  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
A319 FO windshield blowout. Real skilled pilot.
« on: May 19, 2018, 08:37:06 PM »
Sichuan Airlines co-pilot "sucked halfway" out of cockpit, captain says
Article by: Brenda Goh, Reuters
May 15, 2018

Images have shown the inside of the Sichuan Airlines cockpit after the dramatic emergency landing

Blowout: the plane's cockpit window is seen with protection on it after the incident

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - The co-pilot of a Sichuan Airlines flight that was forced to make an emergency landing on Monday was “sucked halfway” out of the plane after a cockpit windshield blew out, media reported, citing the aircraft’s captain.

Liu Chuanjian, hailed a hero on social media after having to land the Airbus A319 manually, told the Chengdu Economic Daily his aircraft had just reached a cruising altitude of 32,000 feet when a deafening sound tore through the cockpit.

The cockpit experienced a sudden loss of pressure and drop in temperature and when he looked over, the cockpit’s right windshield was gone.

“There was no warning sign. Suddenly, the windshield just cracked and made a loud bang. The next thing I know, my co-pilot had been sucked halfway out of the window,” he was quoted as saying.

“Everything in the cockpit was floating in the air. Most of the equipment malfunctioned ... and I couldn’t hear the radio. The plane was shaking so hard I could not read the gauges.”

The co-pilot, who was wearing a seatbelt, was pulled back in. He suffered scratches and a sprained wrist, the Civil Aviation Administration of China said, adding that one other cabin crew member was also injured in the descent. None of the plane’s 119 passengers was injured.

The Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) said France’s BEA accident investigation agency and Airbus would send staff to China to investigate, according to CAAC News which is affiliated to the aviation regulator.

Full story ande images:
https://www.reuters.tv/v/to5/2018/05/16/airline-pilot-was-sucked-halfway-out-of-window
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Tom N

• Tornado
Re: A319 FO windshield blowout. Real skilled pilot.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 03:56:14 AM »
Just imagine:  both pilots either a) get sucked out or b) fastened their seatbelts and thus suffered sprained wrists! That's how passengers get into responsibility!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 02:27:28 PM »
Extremely low temperatures and decompression. Don't forget the large number of equipment that failed. Good job it was not at night or heavy clouds/poor visibility.

Everyone was saved.

Big thanks to the excellent pilot and the rest of the crew  :notworthy
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Lusik

• HAVOC
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 10:52:51 PM »
This pilot did a great job bringing the plane down safely. The temperature was below -30  degrees Centigrade up there so me must have struggled to even hold the stick. Add hurricane wind raging around the cockpit. It must have been a pretty scary ride for both of them. Particularly the one handing out of the window. BA had a similar accident in 1990.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Ketchikan: The Bush Pilots

Started by Stardog765

Replies: 2
    Views: 3686