Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: US Army Special Forces testing tiny drones, report says  (Read 3636 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
US Army Special Forces testing tiny drones, report says
« on: June 05, 2015, 11:55:38 AM »
US Army Special Forces testing tiny drones, report says

Tiny battlefield drones could become a useful tool for U.S. Army Special Forces, which are reportedly testing the technology.

Arne Skjaerpe, CEO of unmanned aircraft system manufacturer Prox Dynamics told Defense One that U.S. Army Special Forces have a handful of the company’s PD-100 Black Hornet devices.

About four inches long and weighing less than 1 pound, the PD-100 provides both live surveillance video and snapshot images. The drone, which can stay in the air for 25 minutes at a time, can be used for surveillance in confined areas, crowd control, and identifying potentially dangerous objects.

Officials from U.S. Special Operations Command told Defense One that certain elite units have looked at the PD-100.

The drones, also known as Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), have already been used by one of America’s key allies. The British Army deployed the PD-100 to investigate terrain and locate snipers during operations in Afghanistan.

Related: New Army camouflage uniforms will be available July 1

Whereas the U.S. military’s use of large drones such as the Predator is well documented, use of smaller drones looks set to increase. The U.S. Army Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center (NSRDEC), for example, has been developing a pocket-sized aerial surveillance device for soldiers and small units. The Cargo Pocket Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance program, or CP-ISR, aims to provide real time video surveillance of threat areas.

NSRDEC engineers investigated the PD-100 during the course of their research, the Army announced last year.

The PD-100 was also tested during the Army Expeditionary Warrior Experiment at Fort Benning, Ga., earlier this year, Military.com reports.

A spokeswoman for the Army Special Forces Command confirmed that U.S. Special Forces has tested the drone, but does not own any at this time. "The tests of this drone are complete," she added.

Original post: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/06/03/us-army-special-forces-testing-tiny-drones-report-says/?intcmp=trending

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Lumituisku

• HAVOC
  • Howl with the pack
Re: US Army Special Forces testing tiny drones, report says
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 02:21:09 PM »
wow, those are indeed very small drones o.o 

I have wild guess that this kind of stuff is going to increase. And well.. I would certainly be interested to work with UAV and UGV on Steelbeast missions. I don't know of you guys, but I see change of using those.

Think for example tanks in urban area. Micro UAV could possibly locate enemy insurgency hiding places, before those cause losses to units. - Would be really neat to play once on full crewed CV9030. Let say.. Commander, Gunner, Infantry squad leader, and (Driver / machine gunner) That would be so neat. Just think about potential. :3   bit off topic but xD
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pain is the nature of life. it is the recognition that I'm nothing more. - Mark Rowland's

Tags:

Putin's reforms on the Russian Armed Forces 2011-2020

Started by Attila

Replies: 1
    Views: 3044
    Last post November 30, 2015, 12:51:32 PM
    by Lumituisku
    8 curious ways military forces use video game applications

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 2997
    Last post August 04, 2015, 10:26:55 PM