Translations for our friends around the world.

New URL: www.Schwerpunkt.Games

Click image to go to main site  www.Schwerpunkt.Games

Author Topic: campaign scenario questions  (Read 5410 times)

Offline gwgardner

campaign scenario questions
« on: March 01, 2018, 09:35:05 PM »
For Ron, just wondering about a few aspects of the projected campaign game:

1) rail transport - traveling between the West and  East Fronts could become rather tedious, especially if each leg is only five hexes as in current scenarios;  will you be implementing any kind of long-range rail transport?

2) are reinforcements going to come in the home country, as opposed to the historical locations in the smaller scenarios?

3) what method will be used for countries like Romania, entering the war after the scenario start date?

Thanks for anything you can tell us about the above, and any other features of the campaign game you have in mind.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt Games Developer
    • Schwerpunkt
Re: campaign scenario questions
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 12:08:01 AM »
Hi Gary,

I have been focusing on building battles.  My plan is to release v1.10 with no new improvements, just new battles.  Release is planned for early summer.  I will then poll the community for the new improvements, giving everyone a chance at voting like I did last time.

The skills to build a battle are different from the programming skills to make improvements.  Bouncing back and forth between them was a mistake on my part, as it was just not efficient in getting either one of those important tasks done.  Four years into this game release and the battles are still not done!  So please bear with me as I complete the battle set.  Schwerpunkt support posture for WWIIE is different than previous games, I plan to have several more years of game improvement releases.  There may be a v1.20!   I also plan to have several more YouTube videos, and am talking about playing battles on Skype so that everyone can watch and chime in with comments on the messaging capability.  This is just barely getting started.

Now to your questions.  Rail movement in #102 Campaign scenario will need an enhancement to make it more efficient.  My thoughts on countries entering the fray are that the units will show up historically inside the country, but will not be able to move until an enemy unit moves into a country owned hex.  Then they are free to move/attack as they do now.

Hope this helps,
Ron
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 12:46:30 AM »
I also plan to have several more YouTube videos, and am talking about playing battles on Skype so that everyone can watch and chime in with comments on the messaging capability.  This is just barely getting started.

Twitch is a lot better for this Ron, Like we discussed before.

Looking forward to this.

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 12:58:22 AM »
Yes, of course, forgot our discussion.  I use Skype every day at my day job!
Ron
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Gray_Lensman

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 04:33:11 AM »

<cut>
Four years into this game release and the battles are still not done!  So please bear with me as I complete the battle set.  Schwerpunkt support posture for WWIIE is different than previous games, I plan to have several more years ????? of game improvement releases.  There may be a v1.20!   I also plan to have several more YouTube videos, and am talking about playing battles on Skype so that everyone can watch and chime in with comments on the messaging capability.  This is just barely getting started. ?????
<cut>

I am now 67 years old having followed you from my mid 50s into retirement. I give up. Might have been different if you had put out some multi-year campaigns first or provided the programming/framework for users to create those same multi-year campaigns.

At the moment, I'm looking at TOAW IV with at least 3 user designed War in Europe 1939-1945 campaign scenarios. One of which is 15 km (10 miles) per hex. Also there is a "Fire in the East" user designed campaign scenario (War in Russia) at an astonishing 5 km (3 mi) per hex Reg/Bde/Div level.

"Pelton" from "Matrixgames/War In the East" was right after all!

ORIGINAL: Pelton  on  January 12, 2014

ORIGINAL:  Gray Lensman

ORIGINAL:  Pelton

I have looked over some of the other games out there that are named on this thread.

None really look that great or are trying to tackle WW2 in Europe as 2by3 is.

WiF's simply is going to be hard to do HvH in real time, because of phase design.

Operational games tend to be easy to design as both players are in a box.

WitE/WitW+++ to WiE is a sandbox.

But yet on a grand scale no one is trying to do BOTH in a single game.

As with WitP things will get better and better in the long run.

Can't post a link due to low number of posts but check out wargamer.com re:Schwerpunkt games and you'll find someone is working on BOTH in a single WIE game!

edit1> scale = 7.5 miles per hex center to center

edit2> Incidentally, though it's getting rather dated, Decision Games has had a PC adaptation of SSI's board game version of WIE for many years.

Your looking at a 1 man team.

I respect the guy, but odds are the system will fail.

Yes, he was right. I was looking at a 1 man team who is not going to finish the game/scenarios in his lifetime.

Tired of waiting. As far as I'm concerned, Schwerpunkt's War In Europe is SHELFWARE.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 05:33:14 AM by Gray_Lensman »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 01:07:39 AM »
Hi Gray,

Sorry to hear about your decision.  You have been following Schwerpunkt games for a long time, and have given me many good comments that were incorporated into the games.  You have improved the games.  Thank you.

I, too, am 67 years old.  I have made a commitment, and will finish this game.  I have built 5 new battles since the last release, and am working on 5 more.  I will then turn to the comments and enhancements.  I still enjoy building the battles, playtesting the battles, and writing the code.  I have three more years before retirement, so I will continue to go at the best pace I can.  I spoke with Jim Cobb about it last Fall, and he said keep going, they will come around.  I miss him dearly.  I draw inspiration from his advice.

I remember your post.  It gave me inspiration, still does.  But Pelton is wrong, and I intend to prove it.

I wish you the best.
Respectively,
Ron
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Schwerpunkt Valencia

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 03:40:46 PM »
Hi Ron,

Well, you are the designer so it is fine you set your own priorities. What I ask is that at least the existing scenarios are upgraded with some of the missing units, replacements and so on. Some of them are otherwise hardly playable and it would not take long to get that done. Remember we don't want to lose the joy of playing this wonderful game until is finished !

Kind regards

Schwerpunkt Valencia

P.S. Any suggestion or OOB you need we will be happy to forward you via forum or private email.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline pzgndr

• Empires in Arms Development Team
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 06:40:18 PM »
Hi Ron,

Well, you are the designer so it is fine you set your own priorities. What I ask is that at least the existing scenarios are upgraded with some of the missing units, replacements and so on. Some of them are otherwise hardly playable and it would not take long to get that done. Remember we don't want to lose the joy of playing this wonderful game until is finished !

Kind regards

Schwerpunkt Valencia

P.S. Any suggestion or OOB you need we will be happy to forward you via forum or private email.

+1

I would add that some map updates would also be helpful.  I've made comments about Libya and Russia in the past, and I suppose others have also given you some feedback.  Again, some of these would not take long to get done.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline schwerpt

• Schwerpunkt
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 03:13:48 AM »
Hi Schwerpunkt Valencia and pzgrndr,

Yes, the changes you have sent me and others to the order of battle are being put into the scenarios for v1.10.  That is text file edits, not software programming.  Quick to do and does not affect my progress in building battles.  I can also take text file changes to the hex array, but not graphic changes to the maps.

Thanks,
Ron
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

No airfield list in scenario #42

Started by Franciscus

Replies: 3