Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Books,Films & Documentaries  (Read 55426 times)

Offline Frankie

• HAVOC
  • From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
Re: Books,Films & Documentaries
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2015, 03:30:51 PM »
Red Tails (2013) was cut to ribbons by the critics who found the acting weak and dialogue cheesy. I watched the movie on DVD and I thoroughly enjoyed the CGI airbattle scenes and the gorgeous CGI rendering of the air battle over Europe. The star of the movie was the red-tailed P-51. It also gave you a taste of what the B-17 Boeing bomber crews faced in the WWII.
The trailer

P-51 (unrealistic but still thrilling) dogfights with Me262s

and more aviation combat scenes from the movie

Enjoy.
What Hollywood needs is a movie on the all-Black 761st Tank Battalion (United States), the first of many segregated combat units in WW2.

Cheers, Frankie 'War Historian-wannabe' Kam, Malaysia
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 03:44:40 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 03:37:46 PM »
Waterloo Companion: The Complete Guide to History's Most Famous Land Battle

by Mark Adkin (Author)

Published by Stackpole Books, 2002
ISBN 10: 0811718549 / ISBN 13: 9780811718547

There have been many books about Waterloo, but never one to rival this in scale or authority. The text, based on extensive research, including many days spent on the battlefield itself, does far more than simply narrate the events of 18 June 1815. There is as much comment as description. Plans are analyzed, commanders assessed and manoeuvres painstakingly related to the ground. Armies, weapons and tactics are carefully examined and evaluated, and a considerable effort is made to answer the age-old battle questions of who?, when?, where?, how? and why? Neglected aspects of the fighting, such as the performance of the French ‘Grand Battery’ or the Prussian attacks on Plancenoit, are given prominence. A third of the text consists of ‘boxes’, each providing, often in anecdotal form, little known information or the first-hand accounts of those who fought upon this most celebrated of battlefields. The many full colour maps, all specially commissioned for the book, and the numerous diagrams and photographs, the majority in colour, make the pages a feast for the eye, while sixteen pages of original paintings of uniforms make it a collector’s dream.

The book is divided into ten sections:

The Campaign describes Napoleon’s escape from Elba and the dramatic events of the ‘100 days’, and examines the strategy of the three commanders-in-chief - Napoleon, Wellington and Blücher up to the eve of the battle.

Under Orders of Battle there is a comprehensive description of the make-up of the three armies, including order of battle diagrams, which show the organization of the armies, including unit strengths and commanders’ names, down to battalion and battery level.

Command and Control describes the command structures and the backgrounds and careers of the three commanders and all their corps and divisional commanders.

The Battlefield describes the key features of the terrain and the strongpoints of Hougoumont and La Haie Sainte that played such a critical role. Maps are used to show the initial deployment of forces by the opposing commanders. There is also a detailed description and map of the site as it is today, including the location of monuments and plaques, as well as a series of unique panoramic photographs of the present day landscape showing the deployment of forces at key stages in the battle.

Complete sections are then devoted to The Infantry, The Cavalry, The Artillery and Other Arms and Services (engineers, medical services and logistics units), describing their organization and equipment in detail. There is also an evaluation of the casualties suffered. These sections also include descriptions of the role and tactics of each arm. Numerous diagrams enable the reader to follow, for example, the drill by which an infantry battalion formed squares from lines, or to see how an artillery battery with its attendant limbers and supply wagons was deployed on the battlefield.

The Highlights describes the key events in the battle: the Allied defence of Hougoumont and La Haie Sainte, the initial French infantry attack, the assaults on the Allied squares by the French cavalry, the defence of Plancenoit against the approaching Prussians, and the dramatic repulse of the final attack by the Imperial Guard. With the help of numerous fully annotated maps, which show the position and movements of each unit, in some cases down to the level of individual companies, the reader can trace the course of the battle in detail while following the lively description of events in the text.

A concluding section is devoted to Myths and Controversies, demolishing some well-established versions of events that have long been accepted as ‘facts’ and analyzing the opposing views of historians on matters such as the importance of the Prussian role in the battle, Wellington’s use of his artillery, Ney’s persistence in mounting the fruitless cavalry charges against Wellington’s squares, and the formation adopted by the Imperial Guard for their final attack.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 03:35:42 PM »
Demolishing the Myth: The Tank Battle at Prokhorovka, Kursk, July 1943: An Operational Narrative

Hardcover – July 19, 2011
by Valeriy Zamulin (Author), Stuart Britton (Translator)

http://www.amazon.com/Demolishing-Myth-Prokhorovka-Operational-Narrative/dp/1906033897

A groundbreaking book when first published in Russia in 2005, now Valeriy Zamulin's study of the crucible of combat during the titanic clash at Kursk - the fighting at Prokhorovka - is available in English. A former staff member of the Prokhorovka Battlefield State Museum, Zamulin has dedicated years of his life to the study of the battle of Kursk, and especially the fighting on its southern flank involving the famous attack of the II SS Panzer Corps into the teeth of deeply-echeloned Red Army defenses. A product of five years of intense research into the once-secret Central Archives of the Russian Ministry of Defense, Zamulin lays out in enormous detail the plans and tactics of both sides, culminating in the famous and controversial clash at Prokhorovka on 12 July 1943. Zamulin skillfully weaves reminiscences of Red Army and Wehrmacht soldiers and officers into the narrative of the fighting, using in part files belonging to the Prokhorovka Battlefield State Museum. Zamulin has the advantage of living in Prokhorovka, so he has walked the ground of the battlefield many times and has an intimate knowledge of the terrain.

The Viaz'ma Catastrophe, 1941: The Red Army's Disastrous Stand against Operation Typhoon

Hardcover – July 23, 2013
by Lev Lopukhovsky (Author), Stuart Britton (Translator)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Viazma-Catastrophe-1941-Disastrous/dp/1908916508

Nominated for the NYMAS Arthur Goodzeit Book Award 2013 This book describes one of the most terrible tragedies of the Second World War and the events preceding it. The horrible miscalculations made by the Stavka of the Soviet Supreme High Command and the Front commands led in October 1941 to the deaths and imprisonment of hundreds of thousands of their own people. Until recently, the magnitude of the defeats suffered by the Red Army at Viaz'ma and Briansk were simply kept hushed up. For the first time, in this book a full picture of the combat operations that led to this tragedy are laid out in detail, using previously unknown or little-used documents. The author was driven to write this book after his long years of fruitless search to learn what happened to his father Colonel N.I. Lopukhovsky, the commander of the 120th Howitzer Artillery Regiment, who disappeared together with his unit in the maelstrom of Operation Typhoon.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 03:38:54 PM by Asid »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Gunslinger668

• "Another great day under the black beret eh?"
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 04:39:47 AM »
One of what could have been a great war movie was Passchenedaele. Once you get through a terrible love story and witness the combat scenes, it is one of the most realisitic shots of what World War 1 must have been like. You can actually watch the two main battle scenes on Youtube. The movie on the whole is ok, gives a good insight into Canadian humor during the end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passchendaele_%28film%29

Vimy is also a great book covering the before, during, and after the Battle of Vimy Ridge. Most countries other then Canada don't know much about it, but it was the first time Battle Procedure (the format in which a commander, from General to Master Corporal, forms, prepares and executes their plan of action). It is what most, if not all, countries use as their basis for orders today.

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/product/9780385658423-item.html?mkwid=sglCNn6VL_dc&pcrid=44154474422&pkw=&pmt=&s_campaign=goo-Shopping_Books&gclid=CODdzpHLnccCFUsXHwodNToBmg

Two great novels about the experiences of a British tanker are Trigger Time and Bullet Magnet by Mike Flynn. The former covers his time in Afghanistan while the latter covers his entire career.

https://books.google.ca/books/about/Trigger_Time.html?id=Rq88E8nI6oQC&source=kp_cover&hl=en
https://books.google.ca/books?id=Rn81AgAAQBAJ&dq=inauthor:%22Mick+Flynn%22&source=gbs_navlinks_s
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 05:00:25 AM by Gunslinger668 »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 08:47:56 AM »
The Soviet Story (2008)

Documentary

The Soviet Story is a 2008 documentary film about Soviet Communism and Soviet–German collaboration before 1941 written and directed by Edvīns Šnore and sponsored by the UEN Group in the European Parliament.

The film features interviews with western and Russian historians such as Norman Davies and Boris Sokolov, Russian writer Viktor Suvorov, Soviet dissident Vladimir Bukovsky, members of the European Parliament and the participants, as well as survivors of Soviet terror.

Using these interviews together with historical footage and documents the film argues that there were close philosophical, political and organizational connections between the Nazi and Soviet systems before and during the early stages of World War II.[1] It highlights the Great Purge as well as the Great Famine, Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact, Katyn massacre, Gestapo-NKVD collaboration, Soviet mass deportations and medical experiments in the GULAG. The documentary goes on to argue that the successor states to Nazi Germany and the USSR differ in the sense that postwar Germany condemns the actions of Nazi Germany while the opinion in contemporary Russia is summarized by the quote of Vladimir Putin: "One needs to acknowledge, that the collapse of the Soviet Union was the greatest geopolitical catastrophe of the century".

Review
http://www.economist.com/node/11401983
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2015, 05:46:50 PM »
Kursk: The Battle of Prokhorovka

http://www.amazon.com/Kursk-Battle-Prokhorovka-Christopher-Lawrence/dp/0971385254/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1442421732&sr=1-1&keywords=Kursk%3A+The+Battle+of+Prokhorovka

List Price: $249.99

ISBN-13: 978-0971385252
ISBN-10: 0971385254

This the one book on Kursk that anyone interested in the battle must own, and if one must own only one book on the battle, this is that book! Nearly 1700 pages and oversized! The biggest single volume book on military history ever published? Due to the tremendous expense of publishing this book, it is being done in a small print run. This will be the only Cadillac version published. Kursk: The Battle of Prokhorovka is the first definitive account of the largest tank battle in history. This book is unique in that it draws upon in-depth research in both the German and Russian archival records. This was research that was begun in the 1990s, after the Soviet Union had fallen, when The Dupuy Institute was able to gain access to the Russian military archives. The book is built from the actual unit records from both sides, as opposed to the sometimes distorted narratives and legends that have grown up over the battle. It then compares and contrasts those records with the stories and interviews collected from veterans. It is an attempt to cover the entire range of fighting, from the strategic decisions, the operational art, to the tactics and the personal stories. It is a detailed description of the battle, a quantitative analysis of the battle and personal description of the battle as seen through the eyes of the participants. Over hundred German and Russian participants on both sides were interviewed exclusively for this book. It is a unique body of research that will not be replicated. This is a large book. This is because the amount of unique material collected on the battle was unparalleled, first as part of a U.S. Army funded research project and then as an extended book project. The book includes 29 fold-out maps, 94 maps in the text, 41 charts, graphs and diagrams, 166 tables, 194 statistical sheets covering each engagement, 100 separate sidebars of discussion, 66 German and Soviet commander biographies, and four photo sections with 289 photos. They are drawn from both German and Soviet sources. The Battle of Kursk was the largest armor battle in history. On 5 July 1943, three German panzer corps, under command of German General Erich von Manstein, tore into the Soviet fortified defenses south of Kursk. Driving back the Soviet Voronezh Front s desperate defense, under command of Soviet General Nikolai Vatutin and future Soviet leader Nikita Khruschev, the fight culminated in the famous tank battle at Prokhorovka. This book focuses on the German offensive in the south of the Kursk salient that was the high point of the Battle of Kursk. It addresses all units that fought in the battle, not just the Panther and Tiger tanks, not just the SS, not just the tank busting Stukas.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Cougar11

• HAVOC
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 08:07:47 PM »
Sharps Book Series. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpe_(novel_series)

This series consists of 24 novels all of which I have read. It is a great series of the British Empire military 1799 to 1821. It starts in the far east and makes its way to Europe and the battle of Waterloo wars. Great reads and series. Almost couldn't put the books down.

They did make a TV series out of it, but it is not very good, and I would say B rated at best. I did by all the DVDs just to watch them after reading all the books, and also I was very bored during deployment in Iraq LOL.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpe_(TV_series)

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2015, 11:42:41 AM »

This series consists of 24 novels all of which I have read. It is a great series of the British Empire military 1799 to 1821. It starts in the far east and makes its way to Europe and the battle of Waterloo wars. Great reads and series. Almost couldn't put the books down.

They did make a TV series out of it, but it is not very good, and I would say B rated at best. I did by all the DVDs just to watch them after reading all the books, and also I was very bored during deployment in Iraq LOL.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpe_(TV_series)

I was rather disappointed with the series.  :(
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2015, 11:52:54 AM »
Great set of books about Operation Barbarossa

Site here: http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Look inside: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Operation-Barbarossa-Organisational-Statistical-Simulation/dp/1304038181/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8#reader_1304038181

The Operation Barbarossa Books

Volume I – The Project Concepts and General Structure, and Analysing Weapon System Effectiveness.
    Volume IIA – The German Forces, Mobilisation and War Economy: June to December 1941 (Part I)
    Volume IIB – The German Forces, Mobilisation and War Economy: June to December 1941 (Part II)
    Volume IIIA – The Soviet Forces, Mobilisation and War Economy: June to December 1941 (Part I)
    Volume IIIB – The Soviet Forces, Mobilisation and War Economy: June to December 1941 (Part II)
    Volume IV – The Finnish, Rumanian, Hungarian, Slovakian and Italian Forces on the East Front in 1941
    Volume V – Relative Overall Combat Proficiency (ROCP) of Soviet and Axis Forces during WWII
    Volume VI – The Science of War Gaming and Operation Barbarossa

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 11:55:01 AM by Asid »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• HAVOC
  • From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2015, 05:03:01 PM »
The Longest Winter: The Battle of the Bulge and the Epic Story of WWII's Most Decorated Platoon

This is the largely unknown story of a small unit that played a vital delaying role that gave the US generals time to wake up about the Battle of the Bulge. This unit became the most decorated US platoon in WW2.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Offline Renders

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2015, 01:54:21 AM »
My War at Sea 1914-1916: A Captain's Life with the Royal Navy during the First World War

Kindle Edition

FREE

http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-War-Sea-1914-1916-Captains-ebook/dp/B00KPVCVEM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Don_prince

• Member.
  • A J
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2016, 12:55:39 AM »
Movies:
On fury, I have not seen more than a couple of minutes, it but thanks to a former company I had the honour to speak with WWII veterans from both sides. None of them liked the movie as it was in their eye's "unrealistic". They showed me real footage which will be in my mind forever.

A lot of the following movies and books contain either military or naval aspects. Some I recomend, others I just list. Not everything is my cup of tea but maybe its yours. And well some of them are still worth a one time watch.

Age of sail:
Munity on the Bounty (I reccomend watching all three)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutiny_on_the_Bounty_(1935_film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutiny_on_the_Bounty_(1962_film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bounty

In the heart of the sea, Good watch but very romantized, plays before the famous story of moby dick, imdb:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1390411/

Master and Commander, Very good, Trailer:

WWII:
They where expendable (pt boats) Trailer:

The cruel sea
(both book and movie) Trailer:

Sailor of the King
(Featuring a real mighty Belona Dido subclass) Naval battle clip. possible spoiler:

"In Which We Serve"

battle of sevastopo
l, Good russian/ukrainian movie. About the female soldiers in soviet WWII. Trailer:

Fortress
, Better than pearl harbour... Trailer:

Otoko-tachi no Yamato Must see, final battle here:

Modern:
Generation Kill goes without saying...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0995832/

Hyena road This movie is realy good, Long time ago that I watched such a good movie. IMDB and Trailer:
www.imdb.com/title/tt4034452/

Karbala On par with black hawk down. IMDB and Trailer: Polish or bulgarian spoken. English subbed.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5049636/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

the triangle this is a miniseries about the bermuda triangle, A different thought up version as the usual. I liked it, which is totaly not like me.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452573/?ref_=nv_sr_3

Books:

HMS Ullyses (allistair maclean featuring the mighty dido, Writer served on one. This is a very good book)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Ulysses_(novel)

The cruel sea
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cruel_Sea_(novel)

Maybe a one time watch or if you cant find anything else:
Jarhead 3 is a compleate flop in my oppinion. I do not think you will enjoy it

Strike back (little bit over the top and fake) Imdb and trailer:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1492179/?ref_=ttep_ep_tt

The philadelphia experiment Syfy, its a weird movie, but they paid attention to detail with the ship. imdb:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2039399/

Battleship (2012) SyfyHorrible movie, if you want a rant, tell me that  the angor manouvre was realistic

The Final Countdown Syfy Watchable, Got some good shots of the battle around pearl harbour, I didnt like the story but some of the shots are cool. imdb:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2039399/

All three similair stories:
Hunt for Red October
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099810/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Crimson Tide imdb
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112740/?ref_=nv_sr_2
Phantom And yes I laughed hard when they showed a Roll-on-roll-of (auto) carrier instead of an Liquid natural gas carrier imdb:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1922685/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_14

unsorted naval movies on my to watch list:

The Battleship Potemkin (1925)

Tora, Tora, Tora
Midway
The Battle of the River Plate
Sink The Bismarck
Battleship Potemkin
The Enemy Below
U-571
Orzeł
Operation petticoat youtube:

The Yhangze incident
The Sand Pebbles
Down Periscope
The Caine mutiny

And if you have an evening spare, old ship salvage documentarys: (they are all there, Kursk, the Herald of Free Enterprise and more)
https://www.youtube.com/user/PKFVchannel

And a recent one:

very old one

I will add links later, orden more and add more.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 10:18:24 AM by Don_prince »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2016, 12:17:55 PM »
Hey Don. No DAS BOOT THE DIRECTOR'S CUT?

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Lusik

• HAVOC
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2016, 10:43:01 AM »
I watched Das Boot TV series when I was a kid. It had 6 episodes if I remember correctly and you could call it a true director's cut. ;)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Youtube - DT-30 VITYAZ Extreme AMPHIBIOUS Off Road

Started by Lumituisku

Replies: 3
    Views: 4087
    Last post April 27, 2016, 10:25:12 PM