Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Books,Films & Documentaries  (Read 55433 times)

Offline Frankie

• HAVOC
  • From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
Re: Books,Films & Documentaries
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2019, 03:48:37 AM »
I was unaware of this epic battle until your post. Thank you for posting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fort_Eben-Emael
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Offline General Sandman

« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2019, 10:07:53 AM »
I once watched a docu on TV about those operations.

I think I remember they brought like 80 kg armor piercing mines (liner) to infiltrade at the gun turrets.
A couple of years ago I visited a bunker system at the former Maginot Line - Schoenenbourg - so I have a certain imagination about the task to conquer such an underground city.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Who we were

“We were the ones who knew but did not understand, well informed but without insight, overloaded with factual data but poor in experience and wisdom. So we went, not stopped by ourselves."

Based on Roger Willemsen R.I.P.

Offline Frankie

• HAVOC
  • From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2019, 03:08:11 AM »
Midway (2019)

What I loved about the movie is that it made me THINK about:-

(1) The code breakers and their crucial contribution to the battle. The leading cryptographer, Joseph Rochefort, was accurately portrayed wearing a bathrobe and slippers. His life is worthy of a biopic of its own. If the lives of your countrymen depended on the accuracy of your deciphered text, would you sleep? The geeks and musicians employed at Hawaii’s Navy Intelligence Unit gave Nimitz the intelligence he needed to ambush the Kido Butai.
(2) The interior scenes and the tube firing procedure of the submarine USS Nautilus were engaging. Why was there a tail end Charlie cruiser steaming full speed to join up with the Kido Butai? It was busy hunting the Nautilus. McClusky’s bravery and hunch of going northwards to search for the Kido Butai, knowing full well that his Dauntlesses would not have enough fuel to return to the carrier, paid off when he saw the cruiser that pointed the way to the Japanese fleet.
(3) Doolittle raiders jumping into oblivion from their B-25B Mitchell bombers gave me the chills. Have you ever jumped out of a airplane in darkness, not knowing if you were over enemy or friendly territory?
(4) The Dauntless dive bombing scenes gave me a sense of the courage needed to maintain a dive in the face of murderous AAA and flak.
(5) The slaughter of VT-8 Squadron’s obsolete Douglas TBD Devastator torpedo bombers, which paved the way for the dive bombers to deliver the killer blows at the right moment.
(6) The 1,400 Hawaii deckhands who patched the USS Yorktown in 72 hours to battle-ready shape, so that Nimitz could get every available resource to throw against the enemy.
(7) The real life people portrayed in the movie made me search online for more information on the Battle.

IMHO, here's the BEST Youtube video on the subject. Narrated by Craig L. Symonds, the author of the book titled "The Battle of Midway".

If you have to spend twenty minutes learning about the Battle of Midway, and you have time to watch only one Youtube video, this is the video to watch.

Cheers
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 01:39:39 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Offline Rinix

• HAVOC
  • Steel Beasts
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2023, 12:27:53 AM »

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I ride inside Steel Beasts.

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2024, 12:10:45 AM »
Graviteam Tactics: Stalemate on Donets DLC Book Release
Fri, January 19, 2024

We are pleased to announce the release of a companion book for the latest DLC “Stalemate on Donets”

The 190-page book contains translated operational documents (war diaries, orders, combat reports, and other primary sources) from the Red Army’s Izyum-Barvenkovo offensive operation, which had the goal to pin down and ultimately destroy the German Donbas grouping in the summer of 1943. These materials are complemented by translations of documents from the German formations and units opposing the Soviet offensive.

The book concentrates on the fighting that took place in the area southwest of Izyum at Semenovka village and westwards, in the 4th Guards Rifle Corps’ zone of advance: The introduction sets the stage for the operation from the perspective of the Soviet forces, followed by two chapters of translated Red Army documents dedicated to the units of the 4th Guards Rifle Corps and the 23rd Tank Corps (which was committed in the same sector later).

The German documents, presented in the second part of the book, include the AAR from the defending 40th Panzer Corps and a compilation of extracts from a series of documents that specifically covers the action at Semenovka in the sector of the Corps’ 257th Infantry Division. As the battle unfolded, the 17th Panzer Division and SS Panzer Grenadier Division “Wiking” were brought in as reinforcements, leading to the first combat deployment of the Estonian “Bataillon Narwa” in the vicinity of Semenovka village.

The translations are accompanied by several dozens of original maps and aerial photographs from the battle, adding a visual component to the experience.

We can confidently say that the book is the most comprehensive work on the subject to date. The Izyum-Barvenkovo operation is relatively unknown compared to its famous northern “neighbor” to begin with, and a deep dive into a sector barely 10 km wide makes the book even more special. As a reader, you have a front row seat as the events unfold from the perspective of each participating unit: preparation, action, reaction, and the aftermath. Reading through each side’s assessments of the engagement provides a unique insight into what separates success from failure in a complex offensive operation aiming to break through a well-prepared defense.

Preview:

The book can be accessed from within the game or via the "View the manual" link on the right sidebar of the Steam store page.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2349300/Graviteam_Tactics_Stalemate_on_Donets/
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Tags:

Youtube - DT-30 VITYAZ Extreme AMPHIBIOUS Off Road

Started by Lumituisku

Replies: 3
    Views: 4087