Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Basics of Operational Art: Centers of Gravity: By JC  (Read 2802 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Basics of Operational Art: Centers of Gravity: By JC
« on: January 22, 2018, 03:31:27 PM »

Wednesday, January 17, 2018
By: JC
Basics of Operational Art: Centers of Gravity

Whatever game you use to get your operational level of war fix, there is a need to understand the basic concepts of fighting at this level.

'm currently playing The Operational Art of War IV (Matrix/Slitherine) and in this Cold War scenario ("British Army of the Rhine 1990") I'm in the perilous situation of an under-prepared and outnumbered NATO force. The Soviets just sent their advance guards through the border and I'm to hold them at the Weser River. A huge frontage that favors mass and maneuver.

This brings up the very basic concept of center of gravity, the "characteristics, capabilities or locations from which a military force derives its freedom of action, physical strength or will to fight" (Joint Publication 3.0).

In the screenshot above, you clearly see that my meager troops (grey, brown and black icons) can't afford to hold Hannover or Braunschweig. It would be very easy for the Soviets to just encircle these cities. A center of gravity of the enemy is indeed his capability to maneuver at will through those plains.

A wide view of the area of operations. Note the Weser River in the left, with all the objectives I need to hold.

Cheers,

JC[/size]

Read on: Click Here
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Tags:

The Operational Art of War III receives a final update and a sequel!

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 5065
    Last post July 07, 2015, 04:43:45 PM
    by Asid
    Slitherine’s Command: the wargame transforming operational simulation

Started by Asid

Views: 2324
    Last post December 03, 2018, 03:01:42 PM
    by Asid
    Flashpoint Latvia Episode 5 - The Operational Art of War III - Grim Prospects of

Started by Asid

Replies: 1
    Views: 4643
    Last post August 04, 2016, 10:25:56 PM
    by Hancock
    A.I. Computer Artist

Started by gameleaper

Views: 2075
    Last post August 05, 2017, 10:19:59 AM
    by gameleaper
    The Operational Art of War IV