Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Retreat Function  (Read 4910 times)

Offline General Sandman

Retreat Function
« on: November 18, 2017, 11:06:25 AM »
Hello!

I didnt see a way to initiate a "retreat in time" yet. I mean, to use the retreat function for a unit or formation just before an engagement occured (reaching fire range). I think, atm this is only possible, when the engagement already started.

Unfortunately, a retreat only after the firing began, means higher losses of soldiers and morale.

There are situations when its obvious, that units cannot prevail in a certain position mostly due high superior forces and flankings. In napolenic battles units facing such situations sometimes started an imitiate unorganized retreat right in time to prevent to get hit much too hard.

Of course they have to pay a price. Loss of morale, increased fatigue. And it should also cause a reorganization penalty of time, like 5 minutes for exemple after stopping the retreat movement to get in formation again.

If an imitiate unorganized retreat can be realized somehow in the current state of the sim, pls let me know.

Greetings!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Who we were

“We were the ones who knew but did not understand, well informed but without insight, overloaded with factual data but poor in experience and wisdom. So we went, not stopped by ourselves."

Based on Roger Willemsen R.I.P.

Offline Biondo

• Global Moderator
Re: Retreat Function
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 06:49:31 PM »
Hi Sandman,

the way I made a retreat before contact the enemy is this:

I set commanders stance to None or Hold to the last (this make their reaction distance very short) or Take Command them, I give them a destination somewhere behind me in the 3D world or using the Command Map. I also set a formation so officers recall all their sub-units.

Of course if the enemy is already deployed he can fire to your men causing casualties and loss of morale with artillery or charging with cavalry so it's always better, especially with the latter, to form at least two line (one covers while the other retreat).
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline General Sandman

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 07:39:28 PM »
Thanks Biondo for giving advice for an organized retreat, which is informative for me too!

Actually my point here was the unorganized retreat (running in disorder).

But I realized that I made a mistake confusing the retreat- with the fallback-button (step back), where it is stated "only if engaged".  :-[

So with the DoW-Mod you already provided a function for an unorganized retreat without engagement yet. I think this isnt possible to do with the vanilla interface - at least I didnt know how or if theres a hotkey.

But still, in terms of realism imo it should be considered to increase the reorg-penalty-time (for exemple 5 minutes after stopping and another retreat, if threatened while reorg) after an unorganized retreat, if possible.

BTW its so much better to play with the DoW interface. Thank you for your great work and for providing the Mod.  :thumbsup
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Who we were

“We were the ones who knew but did not understand, well informed but without insight, overloaded with factual data but poor in experience and wisdom. So we went, not stopped by ourselves."

Based on Roger Willemsen R.I.P.

Online Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 09:42:10 PM »

But still, in terms of realism imo it should be considered to increase the reorg-penalty-time (for exemple 5 minutes after stopping and another retreat, if threatened while reorg) after an unorganized retreat, if possible.

We are working on this very carefully. I have seen other mods which have changed stats and become unplayable for many, including our group. We change and test. Then test again. It is a slow process but the one which yields the best results.

BTW its so much better to play with the DoW interface. Thank you for your great work and for providing the Mod.  :thumbsup

The toolbar is getting better all the time. I have tried a few others but this one is the best for me. Many share the sentiment. We have a lot of plans but little time. Any help/suggestions are welcome.

Regards
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Tags: