Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: Echelon Formation  (Read 5512 times)

Offline General Sandman

Echelon Formation
« on: November 16, 2017, 01:26:10 PM »
Hello gents (didnt meet a lady yet in here)!

In SoW I am missing a dedicated function to order the creation of the echelon (right/left) formation.

Probably it can be temporarily set up by extended micromanaging, but the subordinates rather wont keep it up, I guess.

Am I wrong with the assumption, that this cannot be provided by a modification, because the program has no immanent algorythmn to do so?

Otherwise imo it would strongly be appreciated, if a competent modder could realizie this function, cos the echelon was a very important and often used formation in battles from the antique over the napoleonic epoches. Even today it is still used by smaller formations, as you most probably know.

greetings!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Who we were

“We were the ones who knew but did not understand, well informed but without insight, overloaded with factual data but poor in experience and wisdom. So we went, not stopped by ourselves."

Based on Roger Willemsen R.I.P.

Offline Biondo

• Global Moderator
Re: Echelon Formation
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 01:50:31 PM »
Hi sandman. Actually there isn't an echelon formation but luckily formations are absolutely moddable so it's possible to create as many formations as we like.

We'll talk about this in ts next time :thumbsup
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline General Sandman

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 04:41:40 PM »
Oh, that sounds wonderfull and makes me rather greedy for more.  :P

For exemple, as far as I could see, the attack-columns never fire in SoW - tell me, if I am wrong. Actually the first rank (and flanks) were able to do so. I think they fired a salvo before advancing or charging enemy lines. Or just having the opportunity to make an attacking move by columns, the units respond fire until ordered to advance, instead of standing still without responding fire and missing the chance to cause some damage in the meantime. Here by contact they seem to leave the attack column and change to line, which on the one hand takes away the opportunity to charge or push more agressive without changing back under heavy losses and on the other hand the front batallion(s) then block the fire of all the others behind. One more result was an extensive overlapping due different initial space calculation of brigades in lines or attack-columns.

Another aspect are line formations. In SoW the AI basically forms a kind of double line, but in reality the single line was a common formation, as far as I know, to cover fronts of higher width.

Another famous structure was the "chessboard-formation". Imagine just one color of the board, the batallions were composed like only black or white fields in 2 or 3 rows.

Greetings.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 04:55:39 PM by general sandman »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Who we were

“We were the ones who knew but did not understand, well informed but without insight, overloaded with factual data but poor in experience and wisdom. So we went, not stopped by ourselves."

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 06:48:53 PM »
Hi Sandman

We are still working on the DOW toolbar and will include more formations when we can. It is always better to make small changes and monitor the effects rather than make big ones and have "anomalies" as some people have.

Biondo is very passionate about this project  :winner
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline General Sandman

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 07:03:20 PM »
Hi Sandman

We are still working on the DOW toolbar and will include more formations when we can. It is always better to make small changes and monitor the effects rather than make big ones and have "anomalies" as some people have.

Biondo is very passionate about this project  :winner

I absolutely agree. Just doing some brainstorming for now.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Who we were

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 07:11:40 PM »

I absolutely agree. Just doing some brainstorming for now.

This is welcomed  :thumbsup
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Tags: