Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: AI in SP  (Read 4230 times)

Offline General Sandman

AI in SP
« on: November 13, 2017, 06:04:30 PM »
Good evening gentlemen!

ATM I am not really satisfied with the performance of the grand tactical AI, on the one hand with the AI opponent, on the other with the AI superior commanders, if I am playing at an inferior commanding level.

To be clear, this doesnt relate to AI behaviour micromanaging batallions in already initiated engagements. I mean the disposition of the formations after a scenario (battle) has been started, but without any contacts yet.

Here the grand tactical AI is absolutely passive. Neither the enemy commander in chief, nor the own CiC (if AI controled) seems to give orders to other formations except once to mine at the beginning.

Only if I start an engagment with my force, the hostile forces in this very vinicity do react.

If I, as an inferior commander, request support to the AI CiC, nothing will happen.

As the CiC myself giving orders by courier to subordinated commanders using the provided order composition, I didnt really recognize a reaction yet. Only the commander alone was once moving without his force, if I remember correctly.

These things occured in sandbox battles, but also in the scenarios the GT AI seems to be very passive. Playing the main waterloo battle as Allies, only the 2 french corps of Reille and DŽErlon involved themselves into battle. Although the time element is crucial for the french side, other formations werent activated. Only with the prussian arrival, the french units on the french right wing engaged when prussian forces appeared in their vinicity.

What is your experience about this matter?

Is there maybe a tweak to make battles with AI more invigorating?
I remember battles in Take Command - 2nd Mannassas the AI had a high initiative level  and made use of at least most of their troops.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 06:16:29 PM by general sandman »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Who we were

“We were the ones who knew but did not understand, well informed but without insight, overloaded with factual data but poor in experience and wisdom. So we went, not stopped by ourselves."

Based on Roger Willemsen R.I.P.

Offline Biondo

• Global Moderator
Re: AI in SP
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 07:33:16 PM »
Hello,

Here the grand tactical AI is absolutely passive. Neither the enemy commander in chief, nor the own CiC (if AI controled) seems to give orders to other formations except once to mine at the beginning.

Only if I start an engagment with my force, the hostile forces in this very vinicity do react.

Do you remember the settings of the sandbox battle (Attack/defend/Hunt them Down)

If I, as an inferior commander, request support to the AI CiC, nothing will happen.

IIRC your commander should be In Trouble (the red lightning over your commander's flag) to receive support and you have to ask for support to the Corps commander.

As the CiC myself giving orders by courier to subordinated commanders using the provided order composition, I didnt really recognize a reaction yet. Only the commander alone was once moving without his force, if I remember correctly.

Probably you didn't give also a formation order. It works like this.

1. Select the correct recipient
2. give him a destination
3. give him a facing direction (if you want)
4. give him a formation
5. if you want give a use road order
6. send the message

The easiest way for me to move troops is to bring up the Command Map (key N) LMB on the destination (the map close and the general and all his subordinates move to that location) select a formation from the toolbar and then click use roads button (the red one which works for the commander and all the subordinates again)

About the Waterloo battles keep in mind they are scripted in order to follow the history with some random events so probably that was what you saw.

Cheers :)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags: