Translations for our friends around the world.

Author Topic: What's your gaming pleasure this weekend? 08/09/17  (Read 4672 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
What's your gaming pleasure this weekend? 08/09/17
« on: September 08, 2017, 05:35:13 PM »
What's your gaming pleasure this weekend? 08/09/17    :gamer

I have quite a bit of forum work to do but hopefully it will not take up all weekend  :pray

Dow Air (have a look)    A mp session in 1S2. :pilotfly

Scourge of War Waterloo: multiplayer immersion with real world tactics and with friends  :bonaparte

Arma3:  :soldier-with-gun

Battlestar Galactica Deadlock: What can I say? Toasters, Battlestars    :notworthy

Empires Apart:  my earlier posts

Rainbow 6 Vegas 2: Awesome fun, tactical shooter. Better with friends. Easy to get into :shooting-two-guns

Maybe Steel Beasts  :tank

VBS
Towers of Time
Legends of Ellaria
Lord Of The Rings Online

RC helicopter flying:. Hopefully some more flying this weekend  :pray   :flyaway

What about you? Surely I am not the only one playing?
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Biondo

• Global Moderator
Re: What's your gaming pleasure this weekend? 08/09/17
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 09:12:47 PM »
If this post was about what I'd like to play I could wrote more but i have very limited time so....

Scourge of War Waterloo with my friends is the only gaming pleasure I can have this week.

But what a funny game :gamer
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline 28th

• New member and average human!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 10:04:26 PM »
I finished by PBeM game of Brother Against Brother. I may let it rest a while. In place of Brother Against Brother, I may suggest a round of Flashpoint Campaigns in order to check out the final patch.

I didn't finish my PBeM game of Combat Mission: Black Sea last weekend. I think we will finish it this weekend.

I started a new PBeM game of Combat Mission: Final Blitzkrieg. I think turn one will be in my email tonight.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 11:11:25 PM »
Hi 28th

Thats a lot of PBEM  :thumbsup

It is a great way to play  :gamer
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline 28th

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 05:27:43 AM »
We gamers do what we can, right?  ;)
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• HAVOC
  • From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 07:04:17 AM »
Tornado assembly language hacks. Trying to make sense of 24-year old code with input from the original programmer, Kevin B. Trying to reverse-engineer encrypted image files that are used in the game. If I can crack that, it would open up a whole world of cockpit design mods. If only it were that easy. Sounds like hard work, and it is, but the end in mind makes it all worth it and fun. Oh yeah, I failed Assembly language 101 in college back in 1991, so wish me luck.

Welcome to my world.

Starting from top-left-corner, moving in a clock-wise manner: Tornado 2 Discord server; DOWVU.com's Tornado forum; Tornado running in DOSBox; my backlit el-cheapo ala-gamer's keyboard; and my Tornado Tribute website.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 08:11:48 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 01:31:32 PM »
Tornado assembly language hacks. Trying to make sense of 24-year old code

That is a hardcore adventure in itself  :book  :notworthy
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline 28th

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 02:50:49 PM »
Sounds like hard work, and it is, but the end in mind makes it all worth it and fun.

That's an incredibly interesting project, Frankie. Do you plan to write about your progress? It would be fun to read of one's train of thought and the discovery of what works and what doesn't.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• HAVOC
    • Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 04:28:15 AM »
28th,

Captain's Log. Stardate 20170911.1049.

"The terrain of this ominous planet is littered with archaic and cryptic assembly language code. It's been 17 months since we received the Tornado source code from the ex-DI programmer with Interplay's permission. Last evening we took another crack at the code. If not for the vision of boldly going where no man has gone before, and the meager but vital resources, our attempts at enhancing the classic flight simulator would have been futile."

"We have entered a spectacular source code system in the MASM sector on a most critical mission of astrophysical coding work. Our eminent guest, Dr. KJB ex-Digital Integration programmer, will attempt to recall the 24-year decay of assembly language coding expelled at relativistic speeds from a massive creative explosion which will occur here in a matter of hours."

"Captain's Log, supplemental. Our development team's cohesiveness has clearly been diluted with and compromised by RL factors. Real Life. However, there is no clear sign of a breach of security on board the core team's vision. We have the game engine back and will attempt to complete our mission. But without a Lead-Programmer led, coordinated and cohesive team, the project's future as an enhancement of a classic flight simulation is in serious jeopardy.

Out."
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Beef

• Bellum Simulatis
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 05:25:36 AM »
Awesome stuff Frankie. Hope to see future updates!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline 28th

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 12:39:28 PM »
Captain's Log. Stardate 20170911.1049.

Good stuff, man!  :howdy

Best of luck with the project. It seems rather...dangerous  ;D
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• HAVOC
    • Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 02:57:26 AM »
Captain's Log. Stardate 20170913.0947.

Upon further exploration of this planet, we have found no perfect fit or 'sweet-spot'. On one side of the planet, we have located Tornado 'fanatics' who would love a new Tornado but have little or no assembly language skills; on the other side, we have assembly language (ASM) programmers AND ex-programmers who are not active in re-coding the game beyond what it already is. Dr. Spock has determined that the chances of finding a perfect fit on this planet is 0.000001403.

Allow me to step out of character here. I slide out of the Captain's chair.

The person BEST to modify code is the ex-Digital Integration programmer who wrote 90% of the simulation code. He has agreed to assist in our understanding of his 24-year old code, but requests from us to him (to explain code) go out only intermittently. He has a managerial position job, and ceased active programming years ago.

For now, the closest we have to the ideal person to enhance Tornado is AH. AH did 16-bit ASM programming years ago, loves Tornado, and works in aviation (because of Tornado, it started him off in that direction!).  Lately he has done some minor hacks on the game. He is limited by time and his working life. So without a lead programmer consistently making improvements to the source code, an enhanced Tornado is not going to see the light of day.

I suppose the person who has most of the jigsaw pieces in place is me. For me, I am missing the vital "16 bit ASM knowledge" and "how Tornado was written" jigsaw pieces. The original programmers used tricks to overcome the 640Kb conventional memory limitation of the game. Alas, if only I had paid attention to my lecturer during Assembly Language 101 back in 1991! I would love to learn assembly language in my spare time, but the thought of subjecting my life to torture scares me. Not to mention the time investment needed. Are there any online ASM courses?

My hope is that one day, a university professor teaching assembly language will be crazy enough to assign a Degree, Masters or Doctorate student a project to enhance the game. That would be great since it would be a concentrated and focused effort by an individual or individuals to pick apart the 16-bit code and to re-code the game. And that would only work if the student 'fell in love' with the game enough to be motivated to enhance it.

The BEST enhancement of the game, would be a multi-crew, bi-player feature where two players will man the plane. The pilot gamer will man the cockpit, and the navigator gamer will man the navigator's cockpit. Both can switch to the other person's cockpit view, and see the same outside views, but each will not control the other person's cockpit switch and keys. As in real life. So real-time telemetry data has to be fed over the Internet so that both gamers are essentially playing the same synchronised game but with different sets of controls. That would simulate the real-life two man crew working together. A push-to-talk audio platform like TeamSpeak or Discord can be used to provide the two-way audio communication.

Stepping back into character now, and sliding back into the Captain's chair...

Enough of my inter-stellar thoughts. Scotty, beam me up!
Bones, give me more power!

Out.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

The Fountain War - A History of Gaming's Biggest War

Started by Asid

Replies: 0
    Views: 4257
    Last post December 24, 2015, 05:22:30 PM
    by Asid
    Zombies Throughout Gaming History

Started by Asid

Replies: 1
    Views: 3104
    Last post March 16, 2017, 07:52:53 PM
    by budd
    For Honor: Free Weekend

Started by Asid

Views: 2605
    Last post August 09, 2017, 03:28:35 PM
    by Asid
    Disable Xbox Game DVR on Windows 10 (Gaming Input Lag Issues)

Started by Asid

Views: 4825
    Last post September 14, 2016, 01:34:38 AM
    by Asid
    Time changes this weekend!

Started by Asid

Views: 2432
    Last post October 26, 2017, 05:30:31 PM
    by Asid