Translations for our friends around the world.

Click on banner for Tornado website

Click.gif 

Author Topic: Modding Tornado  (Read 228223 times)

Offline Frankie

• From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
Re: Modding Tornado
« Reply #360 on: April 04, 2021, 06:18:53 PM »
183.  Horizontal Situation Indicator (HSI) for manual landings in Tracking View
Mod: Use F1 and D to invoke the HSI

The HSI has three main functions:
(1) To indicate direction (North, South, East and West)
(2) To indicate the direction of the Runaway (once in the ILS beam/cone)
(3) To indicate aircraft's relative nose up/nose down to the glideslope

The HSI - second gauge from the left - in action

The HSI was first introduced in Mod#142. Then it disappeared. I have brought it back and repositioned it to the top of the screen, next to the ILS display. Appropriate, I would think. The HSI comes in handy when the ILS displays in both the HUD and MFS are no longer functioning due to damage. Refer to page 170 of the full 323-paged manual (or page 55 of the abbreviated 77-paged manual)  to read the HSI instrumentation.

How to read the HSI for manual landings

What I did was to add the HSI next to the ILS display. The HSI is a vital component in manual landings.

I modified TAB.ASM and NAVIGPAN.ASM. Attached is the latest FLIGHT.EXE.

Modded Tornado's full complement of TEN(!) mini-windows and floating instruments in the Tracking (F1) view

To view these floating gauges/instruments first go to Tracking View with F1. Then hit "]" once. Followed by the keystroke of the gauge/instrument you want to make visible. Some will already show up automatically.

1.   MFD display -> Alt+M key, and cycle through with D key
2.   TAB display -> Alt+T key, and cycle through with D key
3.   Warning/Damage Panel - Scroll Lock key
4.   RWR display to alert you to missile threats -> ` key
5.   Permanent navigation/waypoint route display
6.   Weapons Store Management display -> / key
7.   Master Arm toggle - to remind you that you have a selected weapon, ready and primed for release -> Ctrl+Enter key
8.   E-Scope - to show you your aircraft relative to the ground -> 5 key
9.   Altitude Display Indicator -> Shift+7 key
10. Horizontal Situation Indicator (HSI) for manual landings

You also can hit the \ key for the credits window. Shift+8 brings up the half-screen pilot's cockpit. More situational awareness.

Cheers and hope this helps.
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 03:11:07 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
Members reacted informative:
Asid,
Members reacted Thanks:
Tom N,Asid,

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #361 on: April 06, 2021, 11:43:04 PM »
Nice  :thumbsup
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #362 on: April 11, 2021, 03:29:36 AM »
184 & 185.  Two Post-Easter Weekend improvements
Mod: Extended the lookdown view to other External view modes. Invoke with keys 7 and Ctrl+7.

These two mods are an extension of Mod#181 Satellite View looking down (2 zoom modes).

Drone lookdown view - hit F5 for DroneView, and then 7 or Ctrl+7.
The Uber-Zoomed-out view is useful when visually identifying and targeting ground vehicles like SAMs, AAA and trains.
See here: http://cefl4u.org/tornado/images/visuals/DroneLookDownView.gif for full animated gif

External ViewEffect of pressing the 7 keyEffect of pressing Ctrl+7
1. Tracking View (F1)Lookdown viewZoomed in Lookdown view
2. Reverse View (F2)Lookdown viewZoomed in Lookdown view
3. Flyby View (F3)Like taking a lift (elevator) downLike taking a lift (elevator) up
4. Spectator View (F4)Like taking a lift (elevator) downLike taking a lift (elevator) up
5. Drone View (F5)Lookdown viewLookdown view but superzoomed out
6. AAA to Tornado View (F11)Like taking a lift (elevator) downLike taking a lift (elevator) up
7. SAM launher to Tornado View (F12)Like taking a lift (elevator) downLike taking a lift (elevator) up
8. Weapons View (v)Try it!Try it!

A 6-Tornado coordinated dawn-strike against an enemy airfield.
Lookdown view shows the explosions of bombs released by the Drone Tornados in the strike.
See: http://cefl4u.org/tornado/images/visuals/dawn_airfield_attack2.gif for full animated gif

Some additional minor improvements
I also amended an earlier bug where when you hit F5 to see Drone View, you could not zoom in or zoom out with the < and > keys. This has now been rectified. Also improved the view when toggling between F1 (Tracking View) & the "I" (panaromic) key, as well as toggling between F5 (Drone View) & the "I" (panaromic) key.

Responsive Horizon key remap
Previously the Responsive horizon was invoked by the 7 key. So because of mods#184 and 185, I have changed the Responsive Horizon key to Ctrl+` key (i.e., Ctrl+Tilde combo keys).

Before hitting Ctrl+`

After hitting Ctrl+`

See attached "Post-Easter Weekend improvements" FLIGHT.EXE as of 11th April 2021.

Cheers
Frankie Kam

UPDATE - I re-uploaded the FLIGHT.EXE on Sunday 11th April 2021, 8pm.
The version of FLIGHT.EXE that I uploaded earlier had a bug in that you  couldn't take off the runway! This has been corrected.

UPDATE - I re-uploaded the FLIGHT.EXE and FLIGHT-GREEN.EXE on Sunday 11th April 2021, 10pm.
* FLIGHT.EXE - Luftwaffe Grey skin Tornado
* FLIGHT-GREEN.EXE - Standard Geen skin Tornado (rename to FLIGHT.EXE if you prefer the stock green skin)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 03:38:47 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #363 on: April 12, 2021, 08:29:47 PM »
186. Pseudo Operation Granby 1991 Theme

More than thirty years ago...

Problem: The source code of Digital Integration's 1994 Operation Desert Storm (ODS) add-on is nowhere to be found. Which means I can never mod the DESERT.EXE executable file. So how do I enjoy all the mods done so far, in the ODS add-on? It's simply impossible! Or is it.....(?)

Solution: How about I change all Europe-green colours, of the original 1993 Tornado Version 1.0's FLIGHT.EXE, into the sand-desert colors of the ODS addon which was released in 1994? Yeah, that would give a nice illusion that the gamer playing is the ODS add-on with with all 185 mods firing away on their pistons!

Here's the result of my latest mod.

By the way, the Operation Desert Storm addon source code may never be found. I am still awaiting news of the possibility of the source code from one of the members of Digital Integration's original development team. But don't hold your breath as it was more than two years ago that I last made contact with him.

Fancy an Operation Desert Storm theme to enjoy all the latest mods in a make-believe desert environment?

In the meantime, I have found a way to convert the environment, objects and aircraft colours into a desert theme. Do give my latest FLIGHT.EXE a test flight to enjoy the 'desert colours'. Also, do stay tuned for more improvements to this Pseudo Operation Granby 1991 Theme.

A low-level sortie with the JP-233 on an enemy runway.

Recent related 2021 reads on the Net:

RECOMMENDED READING!

Read the full 4-paged article from

ADDITIONAL READING
https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/the-raf-remembers-the-beginning-of-operation-granby/
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/38745/how-british-tornados-used-a-special-weapon-to-ravage-saddams-airfields-in-daring-desert-storm-raids
https://rafa.org.uk/blog/2021/01/17/operation-desert-storm-and-granby/

Cheers
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 06:46:58 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #364 on: April 12, 2021, 11:57:09 PM »
Awesome  :winner

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #365 on: April 13, 2021, 06:44:05 PM »
187. Pseudo Operation Granby 1991 Theme (Part 2)

I managed to "desertfy" the daytime MFD and TAB-TV mini-maps, Like so:

So now the daytime maps are consistent with the external 3D environment. This is still Work in progress, as the nighttime maps still will show up as the standard green-European maps. I tried my best to make the colours faithful to the 1994 Operation Desert Storm (ODS) addon. Hope you enjoy this remake.

Attached is the latest FLIGHT.EXE file. This FLIGHT.EXE is essentially the European Tornado Ver1.0 with all mods incorporated, with a Desert skin. It is impossible to mod the original DESERT.EXE without the source code. So this is my version of DESERT.EXE which uses all European objects, maps and environment with a desert look.

I am also attaching the Excel file that allows me to do quickly do the palette colour Europe to Desert conversions.

Cheers
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 06:59:29 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #366 on: April 24, 2021, 07:14:57 AM »
Some minor improvements.

(1) I removed all terrain-auto follows for heights below 200 feet. This is realistic as in Operation Desert Storm, the Tornado pilots could NOT terrain auto-follow below 200 feet. To get below 200 feet they had to fly manually!  Digital integration got it right in 1993. So I want to simulate this realistic but dangerous maneuver.

(2) I changed the label colours of the bottom status bar from green to blue. This is reflected in night mode as well.

(3) Now you have two flavours of FLIGHT.EXE. FLIGHTEU.EXE is the original lovely green and khaki colours. FLIGHTDS.EXE is the Operation Desert Storm colours. To use either executable file, just rename to FLIGHT.EXE. The source code file responsible for the colour switching is PALETTES.ASM. I am attaching both versions of of the PALLETES.ASM files for my reference.

Cheers
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 07:46:52 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Bewsher

« Reply #367 on: April 26, 2021, 01:43:01 PM »
Hi.

New poster. Just a question. Are the trees removed to simulate the desert environment? Also this could save space and might fix the tree bug in maps directory like mod 48.  Cant wait till night matches day then ill grab a copy.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 04:07:18 PM by Bewsher »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #368 on: April 26, 2021, 04:26:16 PM »
Hi Bewsher

No, I didn’t remove the trees. in fact the fir trees are still in the landscape, and they are sand-desert in colour. In the actual Operation Desert Storm addon (circa, 1994), there is no tree-height vegetation. Only patches of desert shrub here and there. I am not able to duplicate the shrubs 3D objects. Simply because I don't have the source code to the Operation Desert Storm addon.

Cheers
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 10:21:08 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted Thanks:
Bewsher,

Offline Bewsher

« Reply #369 on: April 26, 2021, 05:07:51 PM »
Hi.

Thanks for the reply. Just one other question Can you color the 1000LBG a middle green like the 1000LB GPB instead of default grey?

If so that would be fantastic.

Great modding on your part.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 05:55:47 PM by Bewsher »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #370 on: April 27, 2021, 03:26:54 AM »
188. Recoloured the LGB1000 from stock grey to green/desert colours

Hi Bewsher and other Tornado Fans

The LGB1000 was always grey in colour. Thanks to Bewsher's request, the LGB1000 has now been recoloured.

Photograph of a laser guided bomb being released from a Tornado

Stock DI Tornado LGB1000 grey colour

Modded DI Tornado LGB1000 in European colours

Modded DI Tornado LGB1000 in Desert colours

Attached is FLIGHT.ZIP which consists of:
  • FLIGHTE.EXE = FLIGHT.EXE with LGB100 in European green colours
  • FLIGHTD.EXE = FLIGHT.EXE with LGB100 in Desert sand colours

Cheers
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 10:15:15 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted Thanks:
Bewsher,

Offline Bewsher

« Reply #371 on: April 27, 2021, 04:19:36 AM »
OMG Thankyou Frankie. Ill grab this now.

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #372 on: April 27, 2021, 06:01:25 AM »
Hi Brewsher

You are most welcome Brewsher. Nice to know that there is someone out there who is as crazy about this 1993 classic, other than me.

My goal is to hit 200 (useful) mods by the year's end. If you see anything worth changing either out of curiosity or out of gameplay necessity do share in this thread. Most of the mods are of the design or visual improvements category. I'll see if it is (a) within my means; (b) or way beyond my programming skill-set. Either way, as it is, the original and unchanged Advanced Mission Planner (AMP) is the REAL star of his simulation. The AMP is a software engineering marvel and is really the heart and soul of Tornado.

I only have the source code for the 3D simulation engine which compiles and links into FLIGHT.EXE. Two years ago, I contacted Nick Mascall who has the original Amiga tools to create and edit the 3D objects you see scattered around the landscape. He only replied once and after that, total silence. So with such tools (drool), I would be able to mod the objects like trees, petrol stations and cities. One can only dream.

I also offered a Tornado freelancer job in order to get a shadow done for Tornado. After a few text messages with at least two coders, nothing is happening. For two main reasons: (1) too complex; (2) not enough money offered to justify development time and effort to add a shadow below the Tornado. Which is a pity because even Jetfighter 2.0, which came out in 1990, was able to cast a dynamic shadow that changed in relation to the position of the sun. JF 2.0 had a shadow for every static and moving object, if I recall correctly.

The still very impressive Jet Fighter 2.0 by Velocity (1990) .
Dynamic shadows and smooth framerates, made this DOS flight simulator, well ahead of its time!

I believe I can reduce Tornado's memory demands in order to make mods. So after 188 mods, the sky is still the limit.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get started with Tornado. And why (silly question) are you still playing it, heh?

Cheers
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 10:25:43 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted Thanks:
Bewsher,

Offline Bewsher

« Reply #373 on: April 27, 2021, 06:46:18 AM »
Frankie. Hi again.

Noticed in the Tiald the LGB1000 Green Euro mod still shows as grey in it even though the model is now green externally. Any way to investigate this if its not too difficult (not to detract from this fantastic mod).

Other than that yes what you've modded is fine.

Oh yes i remember the manual and running it on a Amiga 2000 25mhz 1993-1994 here in Australia and it was a slideshow. There was an AGA version but had no mission planner and killed the sim till the PC version came and DosBox fixes it like Winuae does to amiga games.

Reason why I'm playing now is the sheer feel of speed no other sim has (DCS etc) as everything just zips by. This is how a real pilot would feel and a side note back around 91 my brother was going to move to England and try to get into the RAF since weve got dual passports. But glasses ruined it for him as requirements demanded 20/20 vision or better.

And yes ive been into flight sims sin the C64 days.

Shame Nick couldnt have helped. Yeah maybe memory limitations (Thank Bill Gates for that major 640k blunder).

Just one other mod thought is doing the euro terrain in a snow theme colour using the green lgbs and doing the other free fall 1000LB bombs as green too. Just throwing that out there.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 07:04:56 AM by Bewsher »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #374 on: April 27, 2021, 07:31:38 AM »
Hi Besher

> Noticed in the Tiald the LGB1000 Green Euro mod still shows as grey in it even though the model is now green externally.
>

Any chance you can email me a screenshot the LGB1000 showing up in grey? I was quite sure I managed to convert it to green in every use-case.
My email is b o o n s e n g k a m @ g m a i l . c o m.

> Just one other mod thought is doing the euro terrain in a snow theme colour
>

Just last week, I enabled Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein's winter mod on another tornado folder. Yes, that would make one more mod, although it would take me at least 2 days to test and substitute all the green/khaki colours to white/gray. Thanks for the idea.

By the way, Heinz's original Geocities home page is no more. The good news is that it exists as an archive in the Internet Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20040406042916/http://hometown.aol.com/hbeggenst/tornado.html

Since you won't be able to download any of the zip files from the archive copy, please see the Google Drive file link of my entire compilation of Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein's Tornado mods.

Google Drive link is:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fxM-zzXWs6E8JFeTSqDG1HtQ3G1uOqCf/view?usp=sharing

Yes the Amiga version was rendered unplayable unless you had a faster (more expensive) model. Removing the Mission Planner was like when Parsoft removed the mission planner from the Windows version of A-10 Cuba! The Mac version of A-10 Attack! had a very nice mission planner. Sometimes life is like that.

Regards
Frankie Kam
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted Thanks:
Bewsher,

Tags:

Team Tornado - Life on a Front-line Squadron by the Two Johns

Started by Frankie

Replies: 4
    Views: 5296
    Last post October 05, 2018, 02:08:31 PM
    by Frankie
    How British Tornados Used A Special Weapon To Ravage Saddam’s Airfields

Started by Frankie

Replies: 0
    Views: 2196
    Last post March 27, 2021, 04:33:39 PM
    by Frankie
    Desperately seeking GEnie Tornado debrief posts of the 1990s

Started by Frankie

Views: 2244
    Last post December 06, 2019, 07:01:25 AM
    by Frankie
    Tornado wingman turbulence effects

Started by Frankie

Views: 3676
    Last post June 27, 2016, 02:24:44 AM
    by Frankie
    Tornado on Twitch.tv - Valentine's Day 14/2/2022, 10pm-12midnight (UTC+8)

Started by Frankie

Replies: 5
    Views: 3248
    Last post February 16, 2022, 04:00:00 PM
    by General Sandman