Translations for our friends around the world.

Click on banner for Tornado website

Click.gif 

Author Topic: Modding Tornado  (Read 227914 times)

Offline Clark78

Re: Modding Tornado
« Reply #270 on: October 15, 2019, 03:08:06 PM »
Hello,

Been lurking around here for a while and having tried out most of the mods. They are really great, thanks for the hard work put in into one of the best flight sims!

I have some reflections / suggestions on some of the mods (I'm not expecting any changes, just giving some feedback):

122-124.  Three 'useless' views enhanced
Not sure if it is only for me, but the Lookup view originally is quite good as it gives a better view when turning. But after the mod it doesn't move with the aircraft really so you can't use it when turning. Not sure if this is intentional?
Same with the left/right view. They work initially, but when having turned the aircraft around they become switched (left becomes right and vice versa). And the view doesn't move with the aircraft. Even if the original views wasn't that useful at least they show what was expected.

129.  Restored the LookUp View (Pilot's Cockpit) with improvements
137.  Reinstated HOME key as immediate Pilot Panel View
Little bit connected with the above; but having to use Control-Home to return to Pilot Cockpit view is quite annoying when flying. Originally Home key switched between Pilot and Lookup, but always started with Pilot view so you never needed to toggle between views to get back.
I know you did two EXEs based on the preferred option, but then you lose all the great mods coming after this one :)

Thanks again for all the work put into this excellent sim!

/Clark

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #271 on: October 15, 2019, 04:53:41 PM »
Hi Clarke

> Thanks again for all the work put into this excellent sim!
>

Thank you for your kind words. You are MOST welcome!

And thank you also for spending time to comment on mods 122-124, 129 and 137! Actually you could hit the '7' key to toggle the roll on and off. In later mods, I I think did take care of the Lookup view so that the horizon will roll without having to hit that key 7 which toggles the horizon roll on and off. Although I could question my own reason for changing the default roll behaviour when banking. Upon checking the banking maneuver and the effect upon the End and PgDn keys, I have discovered that the modded behaviour, even until Mod#151, is broken! Somewhere along the way, I got carried away with creating custom views, that I lost the plot with regards to the left and right navigator's views.

Yes I do now stand corrected of hastily labeling those three views as 'useless'. My bad.

You are correct that hitting Control+Home is poor design. After all Tornado out-of-the-box already did a good job of toggling immediately from the Navigator's view, to the Pilot view every time. I think it was because I failed to re-introduce this default behaviour of Home (after adding a third Home view), that I invented a poor-man's toggle to get back into the Pilot View, when the previous view was the Navigator's view. Again lazy programming led to a poor choice of Control+Home key combo. The solution is to follow the 'if it ain't broke, then don't fix it' principle. I spend about twenty minutes to rectify the Navigator view immediately to Pilot view with the Home key, but failed again. Will give this one another look at a later time.

Once again thanks for your comments and astute observations. Everyone has a blind spot or two and I am no exception. It's nice and satisfying that at least one Tornado lurker has taken the time to lurk and to share his useful observations on this forum. Keep up the good work, Sire!

Regards
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 05:36:54 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Offline Clark78

« Reply #272 on: October 15, 2019, 07:05:54 PM »
Hi Frankie!

Thank you for answering! I completely understand, I used to be a software tester so can't help it but notice things and try stuff out :). Will gladly try out any mods or fixes that you do to help out!

Tornado was one of those sims that I actually never played when it came out for some reason and haven't actually gone into it in detail until now. I've flown most other 90's sims and the other DI sims, so i'm trying out all these new mods while learning the sim! Lot's of fun!

Thanks again!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #273 on: October 16, 2019, 01:46:40 AM »
Hi Clark78

FYI. The granddaddy creator of all Tornado mods is Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein and here are (mostly) his creations. All done back in 1995/1996. Quite a feat considering that he didn't have access to source code of any kind. http://www.moodurian.com/tornado/tor/mods.html

Another amazing mod is the Tornado Compression mod by  Kenneth "ICEMAN" Larsen.

I would say that 70% of the mods done by me were via tinkering around with the source code. Simply serendipitously stumbling upon code cause and effects. All credit to the original developers of DI's Tornado. Chiefly Kevin Bezant who wrote 99% of the 3D simulation brilliant code, which is FLIGHT.EXE. And a honorable mention of Robin Heydon, who wrote Tornado's amazing-more-advanced-than-what-RAF-had-in-1993, Advanced Mission Planner (source code for the AMP.EXE is not available, lost in the ether).

Cheers
Frankie Kam
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Clark78

« Reply #274 on: October 16, 2019, 04:19:14 PM »
Hello,

Interesting, I've read a bit about those early mods but are not sure how they collaborate with the things you have done to Flight.exe? Will happily try these as well.

Yes, the flight sim as it is originally is already very good. Many other later 90s sims where always in need of mods as they never felt finished when released. Of course, small tweaks are always fun to try out, especially when you are used to more modern sims.

Thanks,
Clark
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #275 on: October 16, 2019, 07:38:16 PM »
Hi Clark78

Here is the latest FLIGHT.EXE with the following changes:

>Not sure if it is only for me, but the Lookup view originally is quite good as it gives a better view when turning....
>...Same with the left/right view. They work initially, but when having turned the aircraft around they become switched (left becomes right and vice versa).
>And the view doesn't move with the aircraft. Even if the original views wasn't that useful at least they show what was expected.
>
>...but having to use Control-Home (from the Navigator's station) to return to Pilot Cockpit view is quite annoying when flying. Originally Home key switched between Pilot and Lookup,
>but always started with Pilot view so you never needed to toggle between views to get back.

In response to your reflections, observations and feedback, I've decided that some parts of classic Tornado are best left the way they were/are. So, I've restored the below functionality to the latest FLIGHT.EXE.

Original Views Restored
1. Original Tornado Lookup view (Home key) is now restored;
2. Original Tornado Navigator's Right glance view (PgDn key) is now restored;
3. Original Tornado Navigator's Left glance view (End key) is now restored;
4. Original Tornado Pilot's Right glance view (PgDn key) is now restored;
5. Original Tornado Pilot's Left glance view (End key) is now restored;
6. Pilot's left and right graphic panels restored;
7. Navigator's left and right graphic panels restored;
8. Home key switches between Pilot View and Lookup View, but always starts with Pilot view if switching from the Navigator's Station (as per original Tornado).

Now SAM launches and inbound SAMs get more airtime in the Action View split-screen.

Plus, I've thrown in two new stuff.

Two enhancements to Mod#151
1. Now Skyflash launches will trigger the Action Split-screen when at SCR=1, SCR=2 and SCR=3 (press F1 key, followed by the 9 key to see the SCR values)
2. Now AAA tracer and Tornado Mauser cannon shells do not hog the Action Split-screen when at SCR=1, SCR=2 and SCR=3. This gives more air (view) time to SAM launches and inbound missiles.

Hope this helps.
Frankie Kam

P.S.,
Captain's Log, Stardate 17th October 2019, 9:30pm.
I realised that the Lookup View wasn't exactly restored to the original. The custom code line "mov TMP_VIEW.VP_PITCH,-20", which raises the horizon up, was still in VIEWS.ASM. Now that I have removed the line of code, the horizon level in the Lookup View is the same as stock Tornado.  I have updated FLIGHT.EXE once again.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 02:28:23 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Clark78

« Reply #276 on: October 17, 2019, 12:42:12 PM »
Thank you Frankie!

Just tried it out briefly yesterday and the only thing I found is that the Lookup view is still a bit wonky and doesn't really follow when you turn or maneuver. But great on reverting the keys as it is a lot easier going from and too different views.

Thanks for the tip on the compression mod by the way, excellent feature which works perfectly!

/C
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #277 on: October 17, 2019, 02:39:22 PM »
Hi Clark79.

Thanks for testing.

See my P.S. in my previous post. Please give these two EXEs a try. Two EXE files inside the uploaded FLIGHT.ZIP file. The LOOKUP Views of BOTH should now follow when you turn or maneuver. The difference is:

(1) FLIGHT1.EXE = has the exact same code as original Tornado. Which is:

;---------------------------
UpdateLookUp   LABEL   NEAR

mov   ax,ZFT_COCKPIT
      add   WORD PTR TMP_VIEW.VP_ZFT_LO,ax
      adc   WORD PTR TMP_VIEW.VP_ZFT_HI,0

mov   ViewPtr,OFFSET TMP_VIEW

jmp   UpdateViewExit

(2) FLIGHT2.EXE = has the same code as original Tornado with some extra stuff above and below the stock code.

UpdateLookUp   LABEL   NEAR

cmp   NVG_set,1
      jne EscapeEject
      ;----------------------------
      ;* store visual configuration
      ;----------------------------

;* if night or foggy use IR visual colours

cmp   Night,1      ;Dusk (still light enough to see)?
      je   EscapeEject   ;yes ->

cmp   Night,0      ;night?
      jne   @F      ;yes ->

cmp   Fog,0      ;foggy?
      je   EscapeEject   ;no ->

@@:      call   SetIRPalette
EscapeEject:

;      cmp HomeValue,2  ;Modded free roaming full-screen?;
;      je ModdedRoamableFullScreen        ;Yes!

KTEST KF_Clouds
      _JZ CloudsOnn2
      xor   CloudsEnabled,1
      jmp OutOfDetails2   
CloudsOnn2:
      KTEST   KF_Horizon
      _JZ HorizonOnn2
      xor   GradEnabled,1
      jmp OutOfDetails2
HorizonOnn2:      
      KTEST   KF_GndText
      _JZ GndTextOnn2
      xor   GndTextEnabled,1
      xor   TreesEnabled,1
      jmp OutOfDetails2
GndTextOnn2:
      KTEST   KF_HillText ;K_3
      _JZ OutOfDetails2
      xor   HillTextEnabled,1   
OutOfDetails2:         

mov   ax,ZFT_COCKPIT
      add   WORD PTR TMP_VIEW.VP_ZFT_LO,ax
      adc   WORD PTR TMP_VIEW.VP_ZFT_HI,0

;mov TMP_VIEW.VP_PITCH,-20
      mov   ViewPtr,OFFSET TMP_VIEW
      call LoadExtrnPan
      call UpdateExtrn

cmp   NVG_set,0
      jne EscapeEject2   

cmp NVG_set,1
      jne @F
      call FixIRPalette
@@:      
EscapeEject2:

jmp   UpdateViewExit

To test, download and then rename FLIGHT1.EXE to FLIGHT.EXE. Do likewise to FLIGHT2.EXE. In the game, hit Home twice to get the LOOKUP View. Both EXEs should exhibit the same "follow when you turn or maneuver" without any wonkiness. I think.

<<<<<<<<<<< Update: 18TH OCTOBER 2019>>>>>>>>>>>
I reuploaded the FLIGHT.EXE. Corrected a bug where the Tornado became invisible after hitting F1, F3 and then F1 again. Bug squashed. Tornado visible in Tracking view again.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 06:42:12 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Clark78

« Reply #278 on: October 17, 2019, 04:30:31 PM »
Thanks Frankie,

I tried Flight2.exe an it works perfectly as far as I can see.

/C
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #279 on: October 17, 2019, 04:50:55 PM »
 :thumbsup Awesome!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Agathosdaimon

« Reply #280 on: October 18, 2019, 04:14:09 AM »
hi! sorry to chime in here but can i just ask - do i just put the flight.exe file in the flight folder and thats all i need to do to then play the modded version? - is there a list i can get of all the new key commands - there is alot spread out through this thread and alot of technical stuff i sadly dont understand, would like it just to all be in one place if possible thankyou!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #281 on: October 18, 2019, 04:25:46 AM »
Hi Agathosdaimon

> do i just put the flight.exe file in the flight folder and thats all i need to do to then play the modded version?
>

Yes. That's all you need to do. What ever changes I do to the source code wil eventually be compiled and linked into an executable file named FLIGHT.EXE. So just replace the FLIGHT.EXE inside your Tornado's installation FLIGHT subfolder with the latest (or any) modded FLIGHT.EXE.

Just make sure you save your original FLIGHT.EXE as FLIGHT.ORI or something like that in case you want to revert the original FLIGHT.EXE file.

>  is there a list i can get of all the new key commands
>

Click here for the Summary of Keyboard Commands (Modded FLIGHT.EXE).

Regards
Frankie Kam
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Agathosdaimon

« Reply #282 on: October 18, 2019, 04:36:15 AM »
thanks for your prompt reply Frankie!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #283 on: October 30, 2019, 11:31:05 PM »
152.  Weapons Tracking View Splitscreen SCR01 (Rotatable)
Mod: Tracking or follow a weapon on its release (by either friend or foe) in a split-screen

This is a series of latest mods culminating in Mod#154. FLIGHT.EXE is attached to Mod#154 entry of this forum thread.

The other day I was exploring the various modes in Tornado's external views. Kevin Bezant created a full 3D environment in the original source code with tons of new possibilities. I decided to take advantage of the existing code's ability to manipulate the 3D environment. This mod, and the next two mods that follow, are the result of Kevin's brilliant coding foresight.

SCR01 allows you to track any and all weapons as they are released by friend or foe. The action will show up in the upper split-screen. The view in the upper split-screen is completely adjustable, making the view fully 3D and rotatable to any angle by the user. This IMHO increases the gameplay and enjoyment of the Tracking view. For example you could see a SAM being released and heading your way. So you hit the F key to release a flare. The view will track the flare and you should see the SAM fly in between your Tornado and the flare, ending up in an impact against a surrounding hill slope. This is not possible in the Tornado-out-of-the-box.

The standard Tracking View (F1)

Hit ] to go to Weapons tracking splitscreen - or hit Shift+Alt+1

Screen after user has hit Enter to select a weapons, and Space to release weapon. Ordnance tracked.

Hit 9 and the screen shows the tracking screen number (SCR01-SCR20) at the bottom right. Here it is SCR=01

The upper split screen's view is not fixed. It is dynamic. You can adjust the viewing angle parameters on the fly by hitting these keys:

F1 = Show the initial Tracking View (SCR=01). Cycle through to SCR=02, etc. with the ] key. Reverse direction cycle with the [ key.
Key 9 = Show the Tracking screen number (i.e., SCR=01 to SCR=20)
Key 7 = Make the upper split-screen a FULL screen

Shift+1 = Pitch Down
Shift+0 = Pitch Up

Alt+X = Pan View Right
Alt+Z = Pan View Left

Ctrl+X = Zoom In
Ctrl+Z = Zoom Out

Alt+ScrollLock = Raise
Ctrl+ScrollLock = Lower

Ctrl+GraveAccent (~) = Step horizontally left
 Alt+GraveAccent (~) = Step horizontally right

Hit 7 and the upper screen goes into full-screen mode

I am attaching the latest Mod#152-Mod#154 FLIGHT.EXE. You can explore the other views. I.e., SCR=02, SCR=03 and SCR=04. Will be blogging them soon.

Hope this opens up new visual possibilities in the external views of Tornado. Try flying a mission where all kinds of weapons are let loose. Let me know what you think by replying to this post.

Regards
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 08:12:55 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #284 on: October 31, 2019, 01:53:02 PM »
153.  CCIP Tracking View Splitscreen SCR02
Mod: A three-way split-screen that shows the impact point of the target after selecting a bomb weapon

A Constantly Computed Impact Point (CCIP) ... is a calculation provided by a weapon's sighting system. It is a predicted point of impact found from the launch platform's movement, the target's movement, gravity, projectile launch velocity, projectile drag, and other factors that can be entered. It is usually displayed on the Heads Up Display (HUD). Wikipedia.

In stock Tornado, the gamer rarely has more than a second or two to glance at the state of the target area (e.g., Target X, Y or Z) after the impact of a general purpose or retarded bomb. How can one when one is kept busy shuffling between the pilot and navigator stations? This mod is in a way historic because for the first time in Tornado, you have a three-way splitscreen. See the image below.

A three-part harmony of views. So you can observe the damage done to a target, long after egress.

(1) The CCIP segment view - shows the exact spot where a bomb will land based on the CCIP crosshairs of a HUD. Hit the 7 key to shrink this segment
(2) The Weapons Tracking segment view of Mod#152. Hit the 7 key to expand this segment to full screen
(3) The Tracking segment view shown as half-screen

What this mod you can view the target X on egress at your leisure. Or at the very least, before you arm the next weapon with Enter. So here's an example of how it works.

Select a weapon and when in the Pilot's view, hit the Enter key to arm the weapon.

CCIP shown on HUD

Next hit the Space key to release your weapon. Now quickly hit F1 and cycle to Tracking view where SCR=02 (hit the 9 key to show the auxiliary status bar and look at the bottom right corner for the SCR value). You should see this tri-part split-screen.

Screen shows the action in three concurrent segments.

Upon impact, the tri-splitscreen becomes two. The weapons tracking view (top right segment) disappears leaving just the CCIP segment view and the main Tracking view.

From three segments to two.

Since the CCIP view segment occupies almost 25% of the screen, you can 'shrink' it by hitting the 7 key. Like so.

Getting the CCIP view segment out of the way.

You can see the bombs hit the target at the CCIP point (top left window) for as long as you want to. Thus you can verify the success or failure of your ground strike. Once you press Enter to arm another CCIP-enabled weapon (e.g., RET1000 or GPB1000), you will lose the impact point view of Target X as the CCIP is re-calculated.

Hope you find this 3-part split-screen interesting.

Regards
Frankie Kam

APPENDIX - ADDITIONAL KEYS

The upper-right view segment is rotatable/pannable/zoomable with these keys. Same as Mod#152.

Key 7 = Make the upper right segment split-screen a FULL screen
Shift+1 = Pitch Down
Shift+0 = Pitch Up
Alt+X = Pan View Right
Alt+Z = Pan View Left
Ctrl+X = Zoom In
Ctrl+Z = Zoom Out
Alt+ScrollLock = Raise
Ctrl+ScrollLock = Lower
Ctrl+GraveAccent (~) = Step horizontally left
 Alt+GraveAccent (~) = Step horizontally right

« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 05:28:31 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Team Tornado - Life on a Front-line Squadron by the Two Johns

Started by Frankie

Replies: 4
    Views: 5295
    Last post October 05, 2018, 02:08:31 PM
    by Frankie
    How British Tornados Used A Special Weapon To Ravage Saddam’s Airfields

Started by Frankie

Replies: 0
    Views: 2196
    Last post March 27, 2021, 04:33:39 PM
    by Frankie
    Desperately seeking GEnie Tornado debrief posts of the 1990s

Started by Frankie

Views: 2244
    Last post December 06, 2019, 07:01:25 AM
    by Frankie
    Tornado wingman turbulence effects

Started by Frankie

Views: 3676
    Last post June 27, 2016, 02:24:44 AM
    by Frankie
    Tornado on Twitch.tv - Valentine's Day 14/2/2022, 10pm-12midnight (UTC+8)

Started by Frankie

Replies: 5
    Views: 3248
    Last post February 16, 2022, 04:00:00 PM
    by General Sandman