Translations for our friends around the world.

Click on banner for Tornado website

Click.gif 

Author Topic: Modding Tornado  (Read 228296 times)

Offline Frankie

• From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
Re: Modding Tornado
« Reply #255 on: July 03, 2019, 07:16:02 PM »
139-140.  3D & Border eye-candy for floating gauges and displays in external views
Mod: Added a 'realistic' 3D-like border to the TV-TABS, MFD and RWR

This is a visual improvement over Mod#82(!). I have given the floating gauges and displays a 3D makeover. The graphics are taken from the standard 'DI Tornado' Pilot and Navigator panels.

The default F1 view gives you this now.
TV-TABs in the external views now have border. Cycle with '[' or ']'

MFDs in the external views now have border. Cycle with '[' or ']'

Hit the Grave Accent key (`) and the RWR in the external views now has a border.

Unfortunately this mod came with a cost - a 'casualty' was the external view's Attitude Direction indicator (ADI) which, since Mod#85, has always been located at the bottom-left corner of the external views.  In order not to exceed the code segment memory space, I had no choice but to remove the ADI from the external views. I hope the ADI won't be sorely missed.

To turn off the floating gauges, hit Ctrl+Tab. You may also toggle on/off the RWR and CWP with the Grave Accent (`) and ScrollLock keys. Overall, I hope you like the new 3D visual effects and results.

Attached is the latest FLIGHT.EXE.

Enjoy.
Frankie Kam

P.S., Unfortunately this mod also causes the split-screen to not work!

Update: 5th July 2019
Solved the bug. Now the split-screen functionality has been restored.

Various 'floating' components shown.

There are now, in all, SIX 'floating' components, five of which have a 3D visual make-over:
1. TV-Tabs          2. MFDs
3. CWP               4. RWR
5. eScope           6. Attitude Indicator (non-3D)

Bonus feature (Mod#140): Secondary Control Surfaces position indicator with ILS MFD!
This is very useful when making a landing or when taking off.

Added the Stores Management Display to the first F1 screen.

This is the best version yet! I'm loving the eye-candy which IMHO improves the immersion.

Enjoy,
Frankie Kam
P.S., the FLIGHT.EXE of this mod is experimental - it works ONLY for IDS Tornados. There are placement and graphics issues if flying an ADV Tornado.

Update: 7th July 2019
Finally, mostly bug-free with better toggle-on-off components.

IDS with floating components

ADV with floating components

This FLIGHT.EXE has been tested and so far no anomalies have been detected. Working fine. How to activate:
Hit grave accent key (`) for the RWR
Hit front slash key (/) for the Store Management Display
Hit Scroll Lock for the Central Warning Panel

The Moving Surfaces gauge occurs on several screens (cycle through with '[' and ']').

Cheers
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 09:15:05 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #256 on: July 07, 2019, 07:27:13 AM »
141.  View the Stores Management Display from the Pilot's cockpit
Mod: Switch it on by hitting the front slash (/) key.

For the first time in twenty six years, the Tornado vitual Pilot can view the weapons package delivery settings right on the Pilot's cockpit panel. All this while in Tornado, as the Pilot, you had to hit PgUp to switch to the Navigator's station to view the Stores Management Display (SMD). This made for intense moments where the gamer had to seemingly juggle two stations at the same time. This happened usually in the heat of battle, with the target mere seconds away from weapon release.

The front slash (/) key makes it more convenient for the virtual Pilot to view this important data.

This mod seeks to free the virtual Pilot from switching back and forth two stations. The front slash key overlays the SMD on the Pilot's cockpit panel. If you find this a tad unrealistic, then perhaps you could consider that window as information from the Navigator.

Another view of the SMD - this time with the full-sized Pilot view (Shift+D).

Enjoy.

Regards
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 08:11:51 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #257 on: July 07, 2019, 03:51:35 PM »
142.  View the Horizontal Situation Indicator in external views
Mod: HSI gauge

In external views, you now have the HSI gauge to complement the ILS display when doing runway landings.

CLICK ON THE SCREENSHOT BELOW!

In 1993/1994, Tornado was famous and unique in its attention to detail and realism.
In this image you can see the real HSI gauge and its simulation counterpart.

From the Tornado simulation manual:

"Horizontal situation indicator (HSI)
This instrument has two functions:
Firstly,  it  indicates  your  aircraft's  heading  by  means  of  a "bug" travelling around the circumference of the compass rose.

Examples:
bug at 12 o`clock = heading due North
bug at 3 o`clock   = heading due East
bug at 6 o`clock   = heading due South
bug at 9 o`clock   = heading due West

Secondly,  it  is part of the Instrument Landing System and shows localiser and  glideslope  deviation  during  an  approach  to  an  allied  airfield. However, it is strongly recommended that you use the ILS mode of the HUD or the  ILS  mode  of  the  MFD  in preference to this instrument under normal circumstances.   The limitations  in  resolution  on  the  HSI  make  it a difficult  instrument  to  use but in the event of simultaneous HUD and MFD failure it is a useful "last resort".

The  vertical  needle is linked to the runway localiser and shows deviation from  the  runway centreline.  If the needle is to the left of centre, this indicates  that  the  runway centre line is to the left of your aircraft and that  you should adjust your heading by turning left a few degrees.  As the needle returns to centre, adjust your heading by turning right until you are aligned  with the runway. Likewise, turn right if the needle is displaced to the  right...

The HSI - middle gauge at the bottom - comes in handy for landings.
If your ILS display is knocked out, you will depend on the HSI for a safe landing.

...A  small  vertical  scale  can  be  seen  on  the left of the instrument and this may be used to follow the correct glideslope down to the  runway  threshold.  If the marker is above centre this means that you are  below the correct glideslope and that you need to reduce your rate of descent normally achieved by opening the throttle slightly. If the marker is below centre, this means that you are above the correct glideslope and that you  need  to  increase your rate of descent - normally achieved by closing the throttle slightly."

The HSI comes in handy for landings.
The full array of 'floating' (overlaid) gauges in modded Tornado.

The HSI appears in only two external views - whenever the ILS display is shown. To see the above views, hit the F1 (Tracking View) and then cycle through the views with '[' or ']'.

The same full array of 'floating' (overlaid) gauges in Night colours.

Attached is the latest FLIGHT.EXE. Login to download.

Regards
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 05:23:32 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #258 on: July 20, 2019, 11:44:35 PM »
143.  MFD-like and TV-Tab-like frames for gauges in full-screen FLIR and TIALD views
Mod: Completes Mod#43 and Compliments Mods#138-#142

In modded Tornado, you can activate the full-screen FLIR and TIALD views with PgUp, followed by '[' or ']'.

Previously:

I always thought somethings was kinda missing....

Now:

...Borders! 3D-like all the way courtesy of the bordersof MFD and TV-Tab

Tested with the following scenarios:
- damage to MFDs and TV-Tabs
- TIALD view and turn Tornado beyond the angle limits of the TIALD
- intentionally turning on and off the MFD (Control+D) and TV-Tabs (Control+[ and Control+])

What the screen looks like in NVG (Shift+Tab) mode

If you find any bugs, do let me know. ;-)
Update: 21/7/2019.
I solved a long-standing bug! Previously when you hit F11 or F12, followed by F1, the screen will SHAKE uncontrollably. This is NOW solved. I also corrected a line of code that emitted an irritating morse code sound when you went into the Navigator's Station with PgUp. Plus a few code optimisations so that I don't run out of source code space when doing the linking process to create the FLIGHT.EXE. So yeah, the latest FLIGHT.EXE attached to this post is the real deal.

Regards
Frankie Kam

on Twitter: https://twitter.com/frankiekam/status/1152716231406788608
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 06:20:34 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #259 on: July 29, 2019, 08:13:09 PM »
144.  Added the RWR display to the Navigator full-screen TV-Tab displays
Mod: For the control-freak

More situational awareness of threats

This Mod#144 also solves the bug where if the player selects to fly an ADV mission, the air-to-air ordinances are misaligned. This has now been solved.

Hint
to get this view, hit PgUp for the Navigator's Cockpit, then hit Shift+D to see all the gauges in full-screen FLIR-view. Alternate between different nuances of this multi-component arrangement by hitting '[' and/or ']'.

regards
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 12:32:42 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #260 on: July 29, 2019, 09:04:42 PM »
145.  Modified INTRO.EXE by-passes the splash screens
Mod: A time-saver

The modified INTRO.EXE cuts to the chase and saves you 14 seconds of time
by by-passing the ever familiar splash screens!

See attached INTRO.ZIP file that contains:
  • INTRO_Mod.EXE
  • INTRO_original/EXE
Intructions:
  • Download the file INTRO.ZIP
  • Rename INTRO_Mod.EXE to INTRO.EXE
  • Go to C:\TORNADO\TORNADO\AMP
  • Rename the INTRO.EXE file to, let's say, STOCKINTRO.EXE
  • Copy the modified INTRO.EXE to the C:\TORNADO\TORNADO\AMP folder

Done!

regards
Frankie Kam

Update: 1 Aug 2019. Optimised FLIGHT.EXE uploaded. Slightly smaller in size compared to Mod#145 FLIGHT.EXE. I managed to free up more space by removing redundant code related to CGA, EGA and Hercules graphic drivers. I also trimmed off redundant two-player code which results in a FLIGHT.EXE that is 606.3Kb compared to Mod#145's FLIGHT.EXE that was 609.5Kb in size. The amount shaved off seems negligible to the gamer, but to the modder (like me), it affords more modded code without hitting the limit of the code stack.

Update: 2 Aug 2019. Optimised FLIGHT.EXE via removing of Roland yucky sound effects. The excellent Roland music which can be played in-game are intact so you can enjoy the short soundtrack of the Roland theme. I have reuploaded the latest optimised FLIGHT.EXE which is now at 606.4Kb.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 02:36:44 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #261 on: August 04, 2019, 07:30:10 PM »
146.  Clock for timing purposes
Mod: Clock

In this mod, I took the clock that appears on the Navigator's panel, and made it available in all the external views. A visible clock adds the time dimension to the game.

The most underrated gauge on the Navigator's panel

You could play a mission and when you reached Target X, take note of the time. If you then re-play the mission, you can compares the time taken to reach Target X, as an indicator how accurate your timing was.

What the real Tornado clock looks like - what a beauty

Note: This clock can't be toggled off because I cannot find an available key. Also pressing Scroll Lock will activate the Damage Warning Panel which will obscure the clock. It's okay, to reveal the clock, pressing Scroll Lock again to toggle off the warning panel.

To get to the screens shown below, hit F1 (Tracking View) followed by the '[' and ']' keys.

The clock at the top-right corner of the external views

The timepiece is nicely designed

This version of FLIGHT.EXE is also the smallest ever in kilobytes. Compared to previous version which were in excess of 606Kb to 609Kb in size, this baby weighs in at only 587 KB (601,488 bytes). The thousands of odd bytes saved by refactoring the code (i.e., removing inefficient and redundant assembly language code) will come in useful when adding future code. This version of FLIGHT.EXE has also had a couple coding bugs ironed out.

Cheers
Frankie Kam

Bug-fix Update - Sunday 11th August 2019

I fixed a bug that caused the ILS and Autopilot MFD data to be displayed at the centre of the screen right after switching from the Navigator's Panel (PgUp key) or Pilot's Panel (Home key), to the Tracking view (F1 key) when the MFD is being shown at the top-left corner of the screen with the '[' and/or ']' keys. I have uploaded the latest FLIGHT.EXE file.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:48:32 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #262 on: August 16, 2019, 05:22:55 PM »
147.  Grey Colour Scheme for the Tornado
Mod: Hacking the include file TORNADO1.INC to give a grey Tornado

The default colour of the Tornado 3D models is olive-green. More accurately, mostly in shades of olive-green.

Stock colour of all IDS Tornados in DI's simulator

To be perfectly honest, I feel that there is nothing wrong with the stock olive-green skin. It complements the green Tornado landscape. In fact, as far as green hues are concerned, I can't better the default color scheme designed by Matthew Smith. Furthermore, the stock IDS skin is an abstraction of the green-gray camo colour schemes used by RAF Tornados in the 1980s. For example:

Credit: JPO SHAPE Chièvres; Taken: Taken on June 25, 1989; Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffweb/4278537623/

However, as DI's Tornado is now 26 years old, and given that more recent Tornados in Europe were and are blueish-gray, I decided to give the IDS Tornados a colour scheme makeover.

Bundeswehr Panavia Tornado, curtesy of Pixabay

I set out to re-colour the stock IDS Tornado skin, and this is what I have as a first attempt.

The entire flight of IDS Tornados in the blue-gray colour scheme

Another view of the player's now blue-gray Tornado

Too bad that DI's Tornado simulation does not allow for texture mapping. If it's texture mapping you want, then perhaps Origin's Strike Commander is the retro-flight simulator for you:

Remember this?

The major difference between the two games was that to comfortably run Strike Commander in 1993/1994, you needed a a 486 with at least 4MB of RAM, something of a luxury back then. Tornado on the other had had no such restrictions and could run with acceptable frame rates on lesser machine specifications.

Just for the record, the files added and/or modified were:
1. D:\TORNADOS\VISUAL\MOBOBJ1.ASM
2. D:\TORNADOS\VISUAL\MAP\SECTORS\MSECDEF.INC
3. D:\TORNADOS\VISUAL\MOBLIST.INC
4. D:\TORNADOS\VISUAL\OBJECTS\MOBILE\TORNADO2.INC (new file)
5. D:\TORNADOS\TORNADO\MAINDATA.ASM
6. D:\TORNADOS\TORNADO\INITGAME.ASM

Attached is the modded FLIGHT.EXE.

Cheers
Frankie Kam

Update
There was a bug in the last FLIGHT.EXE which assigned the wrong 3d model to the ordnance (GPB1000, LGB1000, BL755, etc.). This has now been rectified. I have re-uploaded the correct FLIGHT.EXE in this post.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 06:41:03 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #263 on: August 18, 2019, 06:10:54 PM »
148.  Engine RPM and HCI Gauges
Mod: Added left and right engine RPM gauge to external views, HSI gauge is now shown in full

Left and right engine RPM gauges to compliment the AutoThrottle MFD,
better-looking HSI gauge in the bottom left corner

To get to this screen, at the PilotPanel view, hit F1 and you will see the above screengrab. Cycle through the various sets of gauges with the "[" and the "]" keys. Previously the HSI (bottom-left corner) was a boring and incomplete set of two rectangles which tilted.

Before:

Now the HCI is shown in full-skin with a 'bug' (the red dot) that travels around the circumference of the instrument.

After:

The default set of gauges shown the moment you hit F1 are chosen to help the player to get his Tornado off the ground.
  • AutoThrottle MFD
  • Engine RPM indicators (left and right)
  • Secondary control surfaces position indicator
  • Horizontal situation indicator (HSI)

The left and right engine RPM gauges are meant to compliment the AuoThrottle MFD. When either engine reaches more than 100% RPM, the reheat (afterburners) will engage.

Attached is the latest FLIGHT.EXE file. See FLIGHT.ZIP.

In spirit with Mod#147 where I introduced the grey skinned Tornado, I have also uploaded FLIGHT_GREY.EXE which gives you this:

Now you have a choice of colours.

To use the grey Tornado, you may download FLIGHT.ZIP. Then extract and rename FLIGHT_GREY.EXE  to FLIGHT.EXE.

regards
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 02:22:47 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #264 on: August 18, 2019, 08:18:40 PM »
 :thumbsup
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #265 on: August 19, 2019, 02:25:07 AM »
Hiya Asid

Thanks for the encouragement. After the 150th mod, I might want to hang up my modding gloves and turn my attention to modding Steel Beasts Pro PE. Wait, hold on a second....no source code for that one.

Regards
Frankie Kam
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #266 on: August 22, 2019, 03:12:24 PM »
149.  Corrected Behaviour of NVG and various bug fixes
Mod: NVG done properly

In prior versions of modded FLIGHT.EXE,...
  • ...it was possible to activate the NVG (Night Vision) even if it was night level 1 (dusk). In stock Tornado however, the NVG will not activate as the dusk light is sufficient to see the surroundings.
  • ...turning on the MFD's FLIR or TV-Tab's FLIR/TIALD at night levels 2 to 4 (anything past dusk) would make the display to initially show in non-NVG. Hitting Shift+Tab would turn the mini-display's NVG on. In stock Tornado however, with similar night conditions, the MFD's FLIR and TV-Tab's FLIR/TIALD NVG (green) mode will immediately turn on.
  • ...at night levels 2 to 4, it was not possible to have the MFD's or TV-Tab's FLIR/TIALD display to be in NVG (green) mode, whilst the external view be in non-NVG mode.

These anomalies have been solved in this mod. Now it is possible to have a MFD's or TV-Tab's FLIR/TIALD display to show in NVG while the external view be shown in non-NVG. The external view's NVG mode can of course be toggled on and off by hitting Shift+Tab.

Back to auto-NVG in the MFD FLIR, except now you have more detail compared to the original.

If you have a good monitor (IBM-Lenovo?), switch off the lights and play Tornado!

After pressing Shift+Tab

In short, this version of FLIGHT.EXE gives you the option of simulating the actual 1991 situation where night-vision googles were absent, forcing you to focus on the mini-displays (as opposed to seeing outside the Tornado in night vision green) as you flew at high speed at insane low levels. Or you could just cop-out and hit Shift+Tab to cheat and enjoy the external view in night vision green colours.

Full-screen TIALD in natural night colours

Full-screen TIALD in NVG colours

For the first time in Tornado - two halves in different colours!

Also, in Mod#149, since the Tornados are in blue-gray colour schemes, I have reverted the Soviet aircraft to their original olive green schemes. I've corrected the placement of the Control Surfaces gauge in the Navigator's Panel full-screen TV-Tabs. So yeah, Tornado looks prettier now.

What's It Like to Fly with NIGHT VISION GOGGLES (NVGs) in a Fighter Jet?

regards
Frankie Kam

Update 25th August 2019 - Various Bug Fixes
I fixed the following bugs:
1. When night level is 1, going to split-screen FLIR shows an ungradiented horizon. Fixed.
2. The External Surfaces gauge in external views had some formatting inconsistencies. Fixed.
3. The Weapons Management Display in external views had some formatting omissions. Fixed.
4. The Weapons view was confusing. The weapon just released was not immediately in view when the 'V' key was pressed. Fixed.
5. There was an overlap of the Weapons Management Display and the External Surfaces gauge in external views. Fixed.

Latest FLIGHT.EXE is uploaded as usual.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 06:52:00 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #267 on: September 01, 2019, 05:37:18 PM »
150.  Central Warning Panel (CWP) self-appear / manual-appear modes
Mod: Central Warning Panel now can appear automatically whenever the front cockpit attention getters are flashing

In earlier versions of FLIGHT.EXE, whenever I am in the Pilot's cockpit, I have to manually hit ScrollLock to view the CWP. I thought it would be nice to have the CWP automatically appear whenever some damage is inflicted on the Tornado. Also better would be an option for me to have the CWP appear by itself or manually by hitting ScrollLock. Therefore in Mod#150, I've modded the CWP to appear whenever the attention getters are flashing and blaring away which indicate damage or danger situations.

In the screenshot above, having earlier gone to Lookdown View with NumLock, I have toggled the self-appear (automatic appear) mode of the CWP to ON by htiting the 0 key. Then I returned to Tracking View with F1 and let the gear down. The CWP appears in a split-second as expected.

The user has an option to toggle the self-appearing CWP on or off. Here's what the new Lookdown View looks like:

When in the Lookdown View (NumLock), hit 0 to toggle between CWP self-appear and manual-appear modes.
The text formatting is also now more tidy and consistent

Note key zero (0) to toggle the Central Warning Panel between auto-appear and manually-appear modes.

Additional bug fix:
Right Yaw view is corrected by replacing Ctrl+2 with Shift+2 to yaw the aircraft view right in Tracking View. Earlier versions of FLIGHT.EXE would result in a conflict between Kenneth Larsen's Tornado Time Compression (TTC) TSR  and the Ctrl+2 key combination. Whenever TTC was active, the external view of the Tornado refused to yaw to the right! I have solved this now by using Shift+2, instead of Ctrl+2, to yaw the view of the Tornado to the right.

Additional feature
I added an additional view in the external multi-screen feature. To get there hit F1 for followed by "[" two times. The top-half of the screen shows your Tornado. This leaves you free to switch the bottom-half of the screen from the Tracking View to any other view (F3 Fly-by, V-key Weapon view, F2 Six-O'clock view, F4 Spectator view, Ctrl+Alt and Alt+Shift [AAA and SAM vehicle view], F5 Drone view, etc.).

Triple faceted multi-screen: (1) small FLIR (top-left); (2) Fixed axis half-screen FLIR (top-half) and
(3) adjustable horizon and rotatable half-screen external view (bottom-half)

The beauty of this additional view is for once in Tornado, you can simultaneously view both 3D models of your Tornado and that of your wingman's (F5 view) or enemy plane (Key-6 toggles between allied and enemy planes/ground forces).

Download link to fully modded Tornado up to Mod#150, including the Tornado full game is here: http://bit.ly/32hfggz
Latest FLIGHT.EXE is attached to this post.

It's been a good run. That's all folks. Hanging up my modding shoes.

Real Life's demands on my time require that I shift focus to family matters and to putting my kids through college. I didn't quite get around to putting a shadow under DI's Tornado, but in life you can't have everything. Perhaps someday this will be possible, through the talent, energy and creativity of you, random Internet user. Assembly Language is tough, but NOT too tough that one can't make a difference in the flight sim world. Not bad for someone who flunked his Assembly Language 101 in college. Looking back, I have thoroughly enjoyed modding Tornado these past two years. Having said the above, in the event that the FULL original source code of Tornado, its Operation Desert Storm (ODS) addon 1994 source code, or the original Amiga object and map designer tools of Digital Integration's Tornado are discovered or unearthed, I will be back for more stuff.

Until that happens, it's adieu from me.

TornadoMan, bugging out.

THANK YOU to all who helped me out in this coding adventure...

DB "KEVIN BEZANT, MATTHEW SMITH, NICK MASCALL, ET. AL. (DI'S DEVELOPMENT TEAM)"
DB "TOMN, ASID, DOWVU FORUM USERS, SPEEDWAGON, ANDRE 'DEDE'"
DB "TAILFIN ATARIBABY MUPF"
DB "ANDREWM, ERICEJ, KENNETHC, BASILC, HEINZ-BERNDE, GILLESPIE P, RICHARD P,"
DB "GRAEMEM, CARL H, ZURGER6, BRUCEM, SIMO, JENSS, AJALBERD8, WINGEDH, FOOS,"
DB "PETERMIGMAN, ANDREWR, ATURI83, BLUEY, BREWC, DENIS, MIRANDO, NORTHFOX,"
DB "ANDREWR, ATURI83, BLUEY, BREWC, DENIS, MIRANDO, NORTHFOX, AIRFOX, "
DB "RICHTHO, RICKB, SENA, ZURGER, CHRISR"      

...and many others.

regards
Frankie Kam
http://www.moodurian.com/tornado
http://www.moodurian.com
2th September 2019
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 03:04:38 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #268 on: October 13, 2019, 01:20:11 PM »
151. Weapon Release automatic split-screen action
Mod: Screens 01-03 shows action at point of weapons release

The reports of my retirement from Tornado mods are greatly exaggerated.

In default out-of-the-box Tornado, most of the action that the player experiences is with his own Tornado. Actually, there are many third-person (i.e., wingmen and enemy pilots/ground SAM) actions that happen during the critical moments of mission. It is very hard to appreciate the amount of third-party action and activity the gamer is busy switching between the Pilot and Navigator stations.

In this mod, you can better experience the weapons action during a melee of a multi-plane mission in Tornado. Now when any of the ordinances below are released...

• ALARM (Allied and Enemy)
  • PATRIOT (Allied)
  • SIDEWINDER (Allied)
  • LGB1000 (Allied)
  • JP233 (Allied)
  • GPB1000 (Allied)
  • RET1000 (Allied)
  • BL755 (Allied)
  • GECKO (Enemy)
  • CHAFF (Allied and Enemy)
  • FLARE  (Allied and Enemy)

...the F1 tracking view will automatically show two-half screen views. The upper view will show the ordnance action. The lower half can be F1, F3, F4, F5 views or even the Weapon (V) views, for your viewing pleasure.

Like so:

Drone (Wingman) view with F5. Note the bombs exploding on the enemy runaway at the top-half of the split-screen.
...and...

Two views of the DI Tornado gamer's plane. General Purpose 1,000 pounders being released.

CALL TO ACTION STEPS
  • Download the latest Mod#151 FLIGHT.EXE file (see attachment)
  • Copy  TORNADO.EXE into the usual FLIGHT folder
  • Fire up Tornado
  • Choose a multi-plane mission. Preferably one with 6-Tornados, and with as much variety of tasking (ALARMs, JP-233, LGB1000) as possible. An good example is Warzone 1, "9 IDS - EWR dawn attack".

• Once the mission the underway, hit the F1 (Tracking View) key
  • Hit 9 to display the secondary status bar menu

To get to this screen, hit F1 followed by 9. The square brackets will cycle forward or backwards among all 20 Tracking Views.

• On the bottom right corner of the secondary status bar menu, note the SCR number - the SCR number values are from 000 to 020.
  • Just before or once the action begins or hots up  (e.g., ALARMs flying in the air, bombs being unleashed over the target area) hit the "[" or "]" keys so that you are in SCR=001, 002 or 003. For best fun, stick with the SCR=001 screen. Among three screens, SCR=001 screen is the least obstructed view
  • ONCE YOU INGRESS THE TARGET, STICK WITH ONE OF THE "SCR=001, 02 or 03" SCREENS. ENJOY THE RESULTING ACTION OF THE MELEE THAT ENSUES

The view becomes pretty dramatic, IMHO, during the couple of seconds when the multi-plane strike Tornados ingress the target area with ALARMs launched and bombs dropping all over the place. Yeah and with explosions going off on the ground. When you have the time, give do this version of FLIGHT.EXE a try and let me know what you think.

regards
Frankie Kam
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #269 on: October 14, 2019, 05:01:17 PM »

The reports of my retirement from Tornado mods are greatly exaggerated.

Great use of the M.Twain quote  :winner

I knew you would not retire  :oldman

Keep up the good work my friend  :thumbsup

funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Tags:

Team Tornado - Life on a Front-line Squadron by the Two Johns

Started by Frankie

Replies: 4
    Views: 5296
    Last post October 05, 2018, 02:08:31 PM
    by Frankie
    How British Tornados Used A Special Weapon To Ravage Saddam’s Airfields

Started by Frankie

Replies: 0
    Views: 2196
    Last post March 27, 2021, 04:33:39 PM
    by Frankie
    Desperately seeking GEnie Tornado debrief posts of the 1990s

Started by Frankie

Views: 2244
    Last post December 06, 2019, 07:01:25 AM
    by Frankie
    Tornado wingman turbulence effects

Started by Frankie

Views: 3676
    Last post June 27, 2016, 02:24:44 AM
    by Frankie
    Tornado on Twitch.tv - Valentine's Day 14/2/2022, 10pm-12midnight (UTC+8)

Started by Frankie

Replies: 5
    Views: 3249
    Last post February 16, 2022, 04:00:00 PM
    by General Sandman