Translations for our friends around the world.

Click on banner for Tornado website

Click.gif 

Author Topic: Modding Tornado  (Read 228099 times)

Offline Tom N

• Tornado
Re: Modding Tornado
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2018, 10:31:50 AM »
Hi Frankie,

until I figured out who causes the shakes and rumbles (when something hits the ground), I'll stick to your "old" flight.exe from yesterday. I have an unconfirmed suspicion regarding those 221knot flyers around the allied airfield who might cause this.

EDIT: Shuddering cockpit at 14 minutes and 8 seconds, as well as at 14mins 45 secs. So it should be very close to the allied airfield.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2018, 04:58:36 PM »
I suspect that because of Mod#13 http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php/topic,5046.msg25337.html#msg25337 where even if the Tornado is outside of a blast hemisphere, it will shake when a bomb detonates. So I think even if a bomb blast is hundreds of miles away, the Tornado will shake due to this code. If I am correct that it is indeed Mod#13 is responsible for this, then I add a code that check if the bomb blast is N (perhaps 3 miles is a good value to start with) miles or less away, the shake effect is still visible. However, any bomb blast that is MORE than N miles away, no shake is visible.

Update. Here is the code that I think will solve the problem. The latest FLIGHT.EXE file is attached.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 05:16:10 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Offline Tom N

• Tornado
« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2018, 09:17:08 PM »
Thank you for this backward-improvement, though 5000 or up to 6000 ft (around 1 mile) should really be way enough and more realistic. Just my personal taste.

Thanks for car(etak)ing, Frankie!
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2018, 12:17:46 AM »
Hi Tom

Based on your feedback, I have refined the code. Here you go.

Now the logic is
if Tornado is less than a quarter mile from the blast/denotation then
   Feel a major shake
else
   if Tornado is less than a half mile from the blast/denotation then
      Feel a medium shake
   else
      If Tornado is less than a one mile from the blast/denotation then
         Feel a low shake
      endif
   endif
endif

Here's hoping that this will reduce the 'jumpiness' and yet still give you the immersive feeling of experiencing bomb/SAM blasts which are in near proximity to your Tornado. Do let me know if this works (or doesn't work!) for you.

Regards
Frankie Kam
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Tom N

• Tornado
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2018, 05:11:28 AM »
Hey Frankie,

I'll gladly test this!

EDIT: Testing done within 5 minutes with simulator mode, "IDS free flight", infinite fuel, infinite weapons, crash configuration (instead of "bounce"), i did not test for retarded bombs although i had them on board as well (forgot it)

Okay 2 things so far, the shakings are good for the GPB, shakings got stronger the closer i got to the ground from those 5000ft, then below 2500ft, no damage done to plane until going below 800ft, so this is quite right as the original damage parameter was (so all is good with the shakings and the damaging effects now)

HOWEVER ^^
the heading indicator seems to go haywire in external view F1", it works fine in the cockpit but outside it jumps to 360° when turning right from 179° to 180° to 355° ... to 4xx ° then beyond 5xx° back to normal, there is something awkward.
(doublechecked this now, since it has been in the video below, too), external view heading "hdg" works alright from 0° to 179°, so far.

kind regards, and good shakings now.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:32:22 AM by Tom N »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2018, 07:01:54 AM »
Hi TomN

I am happy to hear that the shudderings and shaking with the damage effects is better and more normalised.

As for the heading indicator, ah,  there was some additional code which overwrote the value of the DispHdg variable. Remnants of my earlier failed attempt to calculate the roll angle. Careless of me. I have commented out the offending code now. As you can see below, all the commented out code is shown in green font colour.

Please try the below FLIGHT.EXE program. The Display Heading indicator should now work as normal.

Cheers
Frankie Kam.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2018, 12:35:17 AM »
68. Adjustable horizon in Check Six! (F2) and Flyby (F3) views

Mod: Horizon adjustments in F2 and F3 views
By Frankie
Description: The horizon in the F3 Flyby view and F2 Checksix! views can now be raised/lowered. Previously the horizons in both views were fixed. Now you can press the keys "1" and "0 and the horizon will change its level. This is useful for creating variety in these two very useful external views. So now the F2 view is adjustable on both the horizontal and vertical axes. The F3 view however, is only adjustable on the vertical axis. Hope you find these modifications useful for producing interesting screenshots with DOSBox's Ctrl+F5 keypress.

Just hit F2 and then pressed and held down the "0" key in real-time to lower the horizon so that
more ground can be seen.

Just hit F3 and then pressed and held down the "1" key in real-time to raise the horizon so that
more sky can be seen.

See attached FLIGHT.EXE.

Click here for the full Mods Index.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2018, 09:43:18 AM »
69. More realism with proper shake and sound effects of exploding ordnances in external views

Mod: Proper shake and sound effects in external views
By Frankie
Description: The external views of Tracking (F1), Reverse Check Six (F2), Flyby (F3), Spectator (F4), Drone (F5) views now feature proper shake and sound effects when the drone Tornado bombs hit the ground targets. The gamer's Tornado, if left on the runaway tarmac, will no longer hear the explosions or feel the shaking of the drone's attacks of miles away. This anomaly has been corrected in this version of the FLIGHT.EXE. In addition, if the gamer's Tornado sustains damage, the gamer will experience shaking and shuddering of his Tornado, but the F5 Done views are shudder-free. Which is the way it should be. Finally, the Drone views (F5 and Shift+F5) will experience shuddering and noises from ordnance explosions. Therefore the overall experience will be more visceral, realistic and enhanced.

As Mod#69, Mod#70 and Mod#71 were all done on the same day, I have attached the latest FLIGHT.EXE in Mod#71's post.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 12:26:10 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2018, 09:45:21 AM »
70. More interesting viewing perspectives of the gamer's Tornado in the Tracking View (F1)

Mod: Improved raising and lowering of horizon in Tracking View (F1 and "1" and "0" keys)
By Frankie
Description: Raising and lowering the horizon now also shifts the Tornado's vertical perspective (via the "1" and "0" keys)

Sample angle achieved with the "1","0" used with
the "F1","Alt+F1", "2", "9", "z" and "x" keys.

As Mod#69, Mod#70 and Mod#71 were all done on the same day, I have attached the latest FLIGHT.EXE in Mod#71's post.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 10:01:30 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2018, 09:55:17 AM »
71. Shake effects, caused by damaged Tornado components, are now enabled by default and can be turned on and off at will by pressing the "5" key.

Mod: Damage shake effects can now be turned on and off at will
By Frankie
Description: The shake effect when the Tornado experiences damage (AAA, SAM, landing gear not raised in time, bomb blasts within the hemisphere of damage, etc.) is a double-edged word. Some love it. Some hate it. Now with this mod, you can now turn the effect on or off depending on taste. By default the shake effect has been turned off. Hit the "5" key and your Tornado will shake and vibrate, depending on the degree of damage inflicted by the game's elements (e.g., enemy fire, exploding ordnance, or gear, slats and flaps sloppy and careless treatment).

This simple hack of LOOKDOWN.ASM achieves a lot. It assumes that
you will never ever want to turn off the horizon's gradiented look.

Previously the "5" key was reserved for turning off and on the gradiented horizon. This is so 1993. PCs are no longer slow. So I hijacked the "5" key and used it to toggle the shake effects on and off. No apologies. After all, free key assignments are very hard to find in Tornado. This one was available so I grabbed the chance to use it.

Below is the latest FLIGHT.EXE which includes Mod#69, Mod#70 and M0d#71.

UPDATE AS OF 17/6/2018
================
Corrected the code and RE-uploaded FLIGHT.EXE. Solved some bugs - especially the one where the Indirect ALARM would soar vertically and as its paracute deployed, would pitch and roll the horizon wildly. This time the horizon and sky remain constant as they should.

To use, simply rename FLIGHT-reuploaded.EXE to FLIGHT.EXE.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 07:20:31 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2018, 04:38:36 PM »
72. Roll Indicator Value in External panel's bottom status bar
Mod:  Roll Indicator Value
By Frankie
Description: When you bank the Tornado to the right, the Roll indicator value will cycle from 000 to 511. When you bank the Tornado to the left, the Roll indicator value will cycle from 511 to 000.

I have just rolled the Tornado to the right. "ROL" value reads "034".

This is useful in external views if you want to bank your Tornado left or right with micro-adjustments, but the rendered pixel-image of the Tornado is too small. In such a case, the visual numeric reading on the bottom status bar will be useful.

UPDATE - 18th June 2018, 10:17PM Malaysia Time
================================
I discovered that about 10 versions back, the TAB.ASM has a flaw in that I had changed line 1960 of TAB.ASM from: "mov bp,18" to "mov bp,36". The result of this was that the Scrollable Map inside the TV-Tabs did not scroll when the mouse was moved!

I have since restored the code back to "mov bp,18" and NOW the Scrollable map is working as it should. I have re-uploaded the latest corrected FLIGHT.EXE in this post. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 08:06:25 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Tom N

• Tornado
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2018, 02:33:54 PM »
Roll indicator looks fine enough!

Though meanwhile on the ground trees grow EVERYWHERE, even on roads, on which i want to land!!

And moving around on the backseat TAB-map is impossible, sadly, so putting the optional target marker "T" is no option any longer. That's BAD! Forgive me with picture 3 and "NormallY".

EDIT: I literally ran into the trees while attempting a night+thick fog+25kts crosswind landing on a road, knowing that buildings and bridges were far away so landing should be safe and easy - doing the winddrift technique with road and nose bearing the same way using only the pitch to firmly go down to the spot.
Then when the aircraft collided with "something" interstingly and luckily the debriefing window explained "collision with ground structure". Digital Integration did some very fine thing granting us the debrief window! I urgently miss it in "Extreme Landings" made by Rortos.
It should even be modified to show the time, when (a) failure(s) occured.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2018, 03:07:09 PM »
Hi Tom

Thanks for testing the FLIGHT.EXE. I tested the back seat map view using the FLIGHT.EXE of 17th June 2018, and it works. This FLIGHT.EXE was corrected so that the map view is scrollable and the 'T' waypoint works. For your convenience I have attached the latest FLIGHT.EXE file with this post in the form of FLIGHTMT.EXE  (MT stands for Modded Trees). Rename FLIGHTMT.EXE to FLIGHT.EXE and Bob's your Uncle.

Moving with my mouse on the Map View and clicking it to create a "T" waypoint.
Make sure you use the 17th June 2018 version of FLIGHT.EXE which corrects a bug from earlier versions.

"T" waypoint with the 17th June 2018 version of FLIGHT.EXE.

Perhaps you downloaded and tested the FLIGHT.EXE from before 17th June 2018?

As for the trees on roads, ah, I didn't test for that. I didn't expect anyone to improvise by using a road as a runaway! I only tested thoroughly that the trees did not grow in the middle of any of the runaways. Let me see what I can do...okay, I have compiled a new FLIGHT.EXE which uses the original, unmodded files of:
C:\TORNADO\VISUAL\TREES.ASM
C:\TORNADO\VISUAL\MAPDATA1.ASM
C:\TORNADO\VISUAL\MAP\LAYERS\TREE1.INC
C:\TORNADO\VISUAL\MAP\LAYERS\TREE2.INC
C:\TORNADO\VISUAL\MAP\LAYERS\TREE3.INC
C:\TORNADO\VISUAL\MAP\LAYERS\TREE4.INC

These files are responsible for the placement of the trees on the maps. So after compiling all the other mods together with the original Tree code, I have attached the resultant FLIGHT.EXE to this post as FLIGHTNT.EXE (NT stands for No Trees!). Just download it and rename FLIGHTNT.EXE to FLIGHT.EXE. You shouldn't see any trees where they shouldn't be (like on roads).

Summary of attachments in this post:-

FLIGHTNT.EXE  (NT stands for No Trees!)
is FLIGHT.EXE without the tree mod. Original tree patterns and tree density of the stock game. No trees on roads.

FLIGHTNT.EXE. You are cleared for landing on any road because the roads are 100% free of trees!

FLIGHTMT.EXE  (MT stands for Modded Trees)
is FLIGHT.EXE that has the Tree mod plus all other mods. So this file has more trees that the original game, BUT side-effect is some trees grow on some of the roads.

FLIGHTMT.EXE. Land on roads at your own risk! Beware of trees in the middle of roads.

For now I am not able to make the code avoid planting trees in the middle of roads. What I need to do is something like this:

Get a Tree XY Coordinate
   If Tree Coordinate is NOT a Road Coordinate THEN
       Register Tree at XY Coordinate (collision detect set to on)
   Else
      If Tree Coordinate is a Road Coordinate THEN
         Register XY Coordinate as empty Road space (collision-free)
      Endif
   Endif

Maybe one day I will solve this.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 04:25:36 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2018, 04:18:51 PM »
Nice work Frankie  :thumbsup
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Tom N

• Tornado
« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2018, 05:09:09 PM »
Uh oh, Frankie, I think we get some strange artefacts on ground:

(I used the no trees flight.exe --> flightnt.exe)
Should i try to land on that?

EDIT: better 2nd picture, airplane nose to the south, airplane located east from the starting airfield of simulator "IDS free flight" mission.

Debriefing shows:
"ground speed too high
Heavy Landing
injured"

so that's not paved!
It even was one of my slowest approaches: 130 kts speed, 7 fps vs

And yes the backseat TAB-map "T" waypoint function works again ^^
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 05:24:20 PM by Tom N »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Team Tornado - Life on a Front-line Squadron by the Two Johns

Started by Frankie

Replies: 4
    Views: 5295
    Last post October 05, 2018, 02:08:31 PM
    by Frankie
    How British Tornados Used A Special Weapon To Ravage Saddam’s Airfields

Started by Frankie

Replies: 0
    Views: 2196
    Last post March 27, 2021, 04:33:39 PM
    by Frankie
    Desperately seeking GEnie Tornado debrief posts of the 1990s

Started by Frankie

Views: 2244
    Last post December 06, 2019, 07:01:25 AM
    by Frankie
    Tornado wingman turbulence effects

Started by Frankie

Views: 3676
    Last post June 27, 2016, 02:24:44 AM
    by Frankie
    Tornado on Twitch.tv - Valentine's Day 14/2/2022, 10pm-12midnight (UTC+8)

Started by Frankie

Replies: 5
    Views: 3248
    Last post February 16, 2022, 04:00:00 PM
    by General Sandman