Translations for our friends around the world.

Click on banner for Tornado website

Click.gif 

Author Topic: Modding Tornado  (Read 228405 times)

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: Modding Tornado
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2018, 03:12:53 PM »
I used to have a ZX Spectrum 48K

Amongst the best gaming memories I have  :oldman rocks
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Offline Frankie

• From Dogs of War to Pipes Of Peace
    • Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2018, 07:53:23 PM »
45. Auto-generates 300% more random trees on the Tornado landscape as compared to the original game

Mod: More randomly-generated trees dot the landscape.
By Frankie
Description: I figured out how to randomly generate 3 times more trees in the landscape than the default stock Tornado. However this version does not have the credits names F11 and F12. Not enough memory to accommodate the names! So more trees generated at the expense of the original Tornado developers' names and Tornado Community names

1993 FLIGHT.EXE = 20+ trees           2018 FLIGHT.EXE = 60+ trees

In the composite image above, we have on the left the stock 1993 FLIGHT.EXE, and on the right, the latest modded FLIGHT.EXE. The modded FLIGHT.EXE has two things in it:
(1) At least 300% more randomly generated trees in the Tornado landscape than the stock Tornado game;
(2) 2,000 more tree objects purposely placed manually via the \VISUAL\MAP\SECTORS\OBSECDEF.INC file, bringing the total number of manually placed objects (trees, buildingsm runaway,  and others) to 12,000. Stock game has approxiately 10,000 objects in the landscape.

Flying low-level. The modded FLIGHT.EXE is on the right.
Again, more trees are randomly generated in the right window.

The trees are poorly contrasted against the green day-time landscape, but trust me, the randomly generated trees are there! You can pick them out with the naked eye. Lack of memory resources prevent me saturating the landscape with more trees.

Cheers
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 02:04:00 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

After the Dogs of War are let slip, let us smoke the Pipes Of Peace.

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2018, 01:20:26 AM »

Definitely more trees generated on the landscape than the stock game. SoundBlaster driver loaded. No memory problems. BTW, If you take your Tornado high up, let's say up to Angels 20 (20,000 feet), and switch to TIALD view, you will see the entire landscape dotted with tree clusters (copses). See below.

My Tornado is shown mostly in F1 Tracking view. In the last few minutes, I accelerate with the Tornado Time Compression mod to speed things up real crazy. Note some graphics clipping appearing with the Tornado flickering on and off at times. Can't seem to solve that yet. Sigh. When that happens, hit the F1 or F2 key and your Tornado should flick back on. FLIGHT.EXE is attached. Have fun.
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2018, 02:50:46 PM »
Mod #45 re-visited!
This mod auto-generates 300% more random trees on the Tornado landscape as compared to the original game
Mod: More randomly-generated trees dot the landscape.
By Frankie

Tornado modded to add more tree copses (clusters) to the green European landscape. The mod adds about 300% more trees.

Tornado's 3D engine, FLIGHT.EXE, was written in 16 bit assembly language and runs within the 640Kb conventional memory. This places severe limitations on adding more trees. For example, it is impossible to add even more trees, in the hope of saturating the landscape with dense carpet of trees. In the process, you will find that the linking process of FLIGHT.EXE will fail due to insufficient data segment space, trees will be found on airfields, and in the Tracking View (F1 key), the Tornado tends to flicker on and off, thus ruining the gameplay of this classic flight simulator.

Therefore this video represents the most I can do to add more trees to the fleeting landscape. It is my hope that someday someone else more clever than I will find a way to add even more trees on the landscape. Until that wonderous and amazing day, enjoy my mod!

Visibly more trees now pepper the rushing landscape. See lower half of the video.
More than the original but less than what I hoped the 3D engine could be reprogrammed to do!
The is only so much the 25-year old source code can be made to jump though hoops. 

Regards
Frankie Kam
Easter Weekend
31 March 2018, Malaysia

P.S., technical stuff. Software I used were DOSBox, ffmpeg and OBS.
References:
Recording DOS gameplay footage with DOSBox and FFmpeg
http://ingomar.wesp.name/2011/04/dosbox-gameplay-video-capture.html
FFmpeg Video Sharpening
https://cloudacm.com/?p=2885
Change the Default OBS File Format from FLV to MP4
http://visihow.com/Change_the_Default_OBS_File_Format_from_FLV_to_MP4

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 02:04:39 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2018, 07:25:28 PM »
46. More clouds

Mod: More clouds in the sky.
By Frankie
Description: Enjoy yet another Easter weekend Tornado mod! I noticed that the stock Tornado was lacking quite a lot in the cloud department. So I decided to do something about it. Below are the before and after images.

Before...

...and after Cloud mod. More clouds than you can shake a stick at now.

Why have more clouds? Why not, since computers of 2018 running DosBox can handle more polygons compared to the 1993 ancestor PCs? So here it is! Digital Integration's Tornado with tons more clouds - in two layers. As voluminous as the 1993 source code could make it out to be .... or not. Still, the original 1993 Tornado only offered a smattering of clouds here and there to keep the frame rates of the day acceptable on 386 and 486 PCs.

More clouds than the original. Something mesmerizing just watching the clouds drift by.

In this mod, I have given the lower layer (light gray clouds), a 30% chance of forming clouds. The upper layer (white clouds) have a 50% chance of forming clouds.

This cloud mod compliments the trees mod. So in the video above, the Tornado is sandwiched between rushing trees below and drifting cloud layers above. 1993 flat-shaded polygon graphics at its best enjoyed with additional tree and cloud polygons on your 2018 computer. Enjoy! BTW, to see the difference this cloud mod makes, compare with my other video recording below, that shows a lack of cloud formations in the stock Tornado.

Stock Tornado - the lack of clouds makes for very clear skies most of the time

Anyway, do enjoy the scenery and nature of the Cloud Mod on your modern computer of 2018.

Cheers
Frankie Kam

APPENDIX - Some technical notes
Basically I edited and modified both these files:
1. D:\TORNADO\VISUAL\MAP\LAYERS\CLOUD1.INC
2. D:\TORNADO\VISUAL\MAP\LAYERS\CLOUD2.INC
I used a custom-made Excel file to randomly generate the hex values that populate both files. Hint: 000h means all bits are zeros, so no chance of a cloud occuring in that sector. The more 000h values the emptier the sky is. My spreadsheet generated values from 000h to 01Ch (i.e., decimal 0 to decimal 28).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 02:04:56 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2018, 04:04:13 PM »
47. More clouds for Tornado when run via GUI-based game

Mod: Cloud binary mod. More clouds in the sky is incorporated into the full GUI-based game.
By Frankie
Description: Mods #44 & #45 only work if you run TORNADO.EXE from the command line I.e., C:\>TORNADO /A. What about if you want more clouds in the missions that are run off the GUI menus? No problem! I found out that the cloud data files (CLOUD1.BIN and CLOUD2.BIN) in Tornado are located inside these folders:
\TORNADO\AMP\MAP1
\TORNADO\AMP\MAP2
\TORNADO\AMP\MAP3
\TORNADO\AMP\MAP4

The CLOUD1.BIN and CLOUD2.BIN contents will override whatever values are inside
\TORNADO\VISUAL\MAP\LAYERS\CLOUD1.INC
\TORNADO\VISUAL\MAP\LAYERS\CLOUD2.INC
making the cloud mods of hacks #46 and #45 useless when playing Tornado from the menus.

The missions of Map2 (Europe).

By modifying the contents of CLOUD1.BIN and CLOUD2.BIN, we can increase the volume and number of clouds shown for each map.

The contents of CLOUD1.BIN before modifying - 00s represent no clouds (binary zero).

The contents of CLOUD1.BIN after modifying - less 00s this time, so more clouds are being represented.

The sky before the binary mod.

The sky after the binary mod - the sky is more crowded with clouds.

Cloud binary files are attached below.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 02:05:17 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2018, 11:27:08 PM »
Awesome stuff Frankie  :thumbsup
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2018, 12:46:19 AM »
48. No more tree cluster in Warzone2's Mission 3

Mod: Clear nasty Tree cluster (copse) binary mod.
By Frankie
Description: All FLIGHT.EXEs of previous tree mods had a major flow. If you chose Mission 3 "IDS - Early Warning Radar Blackout" of Warzone 2, you would find a copse of trees lies smack in the middle of the Airfield2. You could fly past the tree cluster without any ill-effects, but visually this is disturbing and needs to be removed to preserve the integrity of the game's visuals.

The problematic mission.

What are those trees doing in the middle of on the airfield?

What happened to the airfield's maintenance?

This is a no-no. This mod which is essentially a modified version of C:\TORNADO\TORNADO\AMP\MAP3\TREE3.BIN removes that offending tree cluster.

I am Hexcited to be able to pinpoint the exact byte responsible for this mess!
Specifically, MAP3-TREE3-BIN-LINE310-COL0a. See the yellow highlighted hex values? That's it.

So after changing the hex value of "MAP3's TREE3.BIN file at Line 31a, column 0a" to 00h, this is what we get:

All clear for takeoff. Roger that.

Attached are the following files that you can download and plonk inside your Tornado installation folders:
(1) C:\TORNADO\TORNADO\AMP\MAP3\TREE3.BIN --> the modded binary file that removes the offending tree cluster from Airfield2
(2) C:\TORNADO\TORNADO\FLIGHT\FLIGHT.EXE --> the latest cumulatively modded FLIGHT.EXE as of 9th April 2018
Note: I have tested this FLIGHT.EXE with all Warzone's (WZ1, WZ2 and WZ3) Airfields #1 through to #4. All 12 airfields are clear of trees (on the runaway, that is) and are good to go.

Conclusion: with this TREE3.BIN mod combined with the latest FLIGHT.EXE 3D engine, the game's airfields maintain their visual integrity, and the simulator's visuals have been enhanced. About 200% More trees rendered on the fly. No known glitches caused by more trees. More clouds. If you notice any anomaly, please let me know about it/them. Cheers.

And Enjoy.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 05:11:40 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2018, 05:57:23 AM »
49. Full-screen FLIR view now allows HUD to be toggled on/off.

Mod: Full-screen FLIR's HUD gets toggled on/off by hitting Control+H
By Frankie
Description: The full-screen FLIR view was implemented in Hack #19 and Hack #43. However the user was unable to toggle off the HUD screen. Why would we want to do that? For two reasons. One, the normal Pilot's Panel view (via the PgUp key) allows the user to turn off the HUD screen. Two, there never has been a full-screen forward looking view with minimal (in this case, zero) HUD information. Until now. I figured out the code that will do the job. Here it is:

Sprinkle a bit of code in the right places...

...(NOW YOU SEE IT) and hit Control+H...

...(NOW YOU DON'T!!). This results in a clear forward-looking full screen.
The first time in its 25-year history that this is available in Tornado!

Attached is the latest FLIGHT.EXE file, dated 9th April 2018, 1:00pm.

BTW, his Thursday 12th April 2018, I hit the BIG Hawaii 5-0. Half century geezer. Semicentennial. Quinquagenary.  Fifty years old. My avatar profile pic was taken in 2008. There I said it. So anyway, I am hoping to make it 50 Tornado mods in time for 12/4/2018. I wonder what else I can modify in the simulator.

Cheers
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:54:12 AM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2018, 06:48:52 PM »
50. Instant activation of Full-screen FLIR view

Mod: Shift+d activates the full-screen FLIR view
By Frankie
Description: Previously the user had to be in the Pilot's Panel view, and hit the "D" key three times to go to full-screen FLIR view. This hack is a shortcut that allows you to, from the Pilot's Panel view, go direct to the full-screen FLIR view by hitting Shift+d key combo. So no more hitting the d key multiple times to toggle the full-screen FLIR view. One key combo does it.

The code that makes it work.

One moment you're in the Pilot's cockpit (Home key)....

The next (after hitting Shift+d, you're in the full-screen FLIR view!

Cheers
Frankie Kam
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2018, 11:16:43 PM »
51. User can toggle the responsive horizon, in the Tracking View. on and off

Mod: On-demand responsive horizon
By Frankie
Description:  This is an improvement over Mod#6 "10th Oct 2017 - Tracking View made more realistic and immersive with responsive horizon". Alt+p ('P' for 'P'itch) toggles the responsive horizon on and off while in Tracking view or Check Six view. So now the gamer has a choice between the responsive horizon which pitches with respect to the plane's change in banking angle, and the horizon in the original stock FLIGHT.EXE which remains horizontal while the plane banks left or right. The reason for this mod is that there are many screenshots of Tornado in action which look better with a stable, horizontal horizon. Also, now, the user is the initiator of the responsive horizon - it's all about giving the user more choice.

Example 1, before the gamer hits Alt-p...

...and after hitting Alt-p

Example 2, before the gamer hits Alt-p...

The code responsible for the toggle while in Tracking View (F1).

Youtube Video

If a picture is worth a thousand words, how about a video illustrating this toggle choice effect?

The code responsible for the toggle while in Check Six View (F2).

Example 3, before the gamer hits Alt-p...

Example 4, before the gamer hits Alt-p...

The toggle also takes effect in the Check Six view (F2 key)! My conclusion of the matter is that BOTH types of horizons have their place and BOTH look great. The latest FLIGHT.EXE is attached to this post. Note: I have also improved the "P"(ause) key. This time the P key is less 'bouncy' and more 'sticky'.

Hope this helps. ;-)
Regards
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 02:45:00 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2018, 07:07:07 PM »
52. Adjustable viewing height of the Tornado in the Tracking View

Mod: Tracking View gradual adjustment of the Tornado viewpoint height
By Frankie
Description: In the default Tornado simulator, pressing F1 would toggle the Tornado between two different heights. So the Tornado would disappear  for a fraction of a section, and magically reappear almost immediately higher, by about N feet. This N feet was fixed and the user could not do anything about it. Until now! This mod is an innovation that allows the user to lower or raise Tornado in the Tracking view, by pressing and holding down the F1 key or the F12 key. See the video below:

Raise and lower the Tornado viewpoint by pressing and holding down F1 or F12 at different moments of the simulation

Quite a number of interesting view effects are now possible for the Tracking View (F1). For example, hit F1. Then hold down both F1 and Z key (rotate left) simultaneously. Or hold down both F1 and X key (rotate right) simultaneously. Get the idea?

Cheers
Frankie Kam

« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 08:14:33 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2018, 05:00:51 PM »
53. Fluid horizon in Tracking View

Mod: horizon adjustable viewpoint height in the Tracking View
By Frankie
Description: In the stock Tornado by Digital Integration, the horizon was static. You could not shift it up or down. Until NOW - you can press and hold the "1" and "0" keys to move the horizon up and down in the Tracking View. One of the best elements of Tornado is the simulation of the Terrain Following Radar and terrain hugging flight. A Tornado skimming the earth with trees whizzing by and clouds slowly billowing past in the distance is a joy to watch. This mod ups the ante by allowing you to raise or lower the horizon, and it displays everything else in perspective to the changed horizon. Now, in 2018, you have the the opportunity to create some stunning Tornado vistas and screenshots, not possible with the stock game of 1993/1994!

Press "1" and hold to lower the horizon and to see more of the sky...

More sky, less earth effects and example#1.
This is useful for ADV missions where most of the action takes place in the sky.

More sky, less earth effects and example#2

More sky, less earth effects and example#3

More sky, less earth effects and example#4

...and press "0" and hold to raise the horizon and to see more of the earth!

Press and hold "0" to shift the horizon down.

More ground action is shown in this example.

More ground action again! This time combining "0" (raise horizon to show more earth)
with Alt+p (pitching of horizon)

Nice iron bridge.

A word of warning. If you are using DOSBox, pressing F12 of this mod will produce a slight jarring noise. This is because, by default, DOSBox's Speedlock is F12 too! The solution to this is, while in DOSBox, to hit Control+F1 and then delete the default keybinding of F12, and then the re-add F12 key, and this time, click the Mod3 button. As shown in the screenshot below:

Screen shows DOSBox's Speedlock default key being re-assigned to F12 with mod3 activated.
This will put a stop to the jarring noise heard when F12 is pressed during the game!

Here's a video I made that shows you this effect.

These are the visual effects now possible. Combine "1", "0" of this mod, with F1 and F12 from mod #52 and see what you get!

You can even combine Combine the keys of "1", "0" of this mod, with F1 and F12, AND with "Z" and "X" for some creative panning. Have fun and be creative when trying this one out!

Cheers
Frankie Kam
P.S., see the latest FLIGHT.EXE attached.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 08:13:42 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Frankie

• Frankie's Moodurian
Impact point new perspective and responsive (shake) views
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2018, 03:56:52 PM »
54. Redesigned bomb impact view and now more External views vibrate/shudder when ordnance explode

Mod: New Impact Point-of-view and responsive views (shaking)
By Frankie
Description: I always thought that in Tornado, the explosions of ordnance could be improved. For one, during the impact of a bomb, the view would switch from Weapons View to Overhead View, with a visual of an explosion and crater. These visuals would be accompanied by zero vibrations and zero shuddering - stock Tornado does not model shaking of the screen for external views. In stock Tornado, only the Pilot Panel and Navigator Panel views will shake or shudder due to explosions.

Today, after much tinkering and experimentation, I have figured out the code that allows external views to shudder and shake during an explosion. In this mod I have succeeded in the following:
(1) added shaking of the screen when an ordnance explodes in these views:
  • Weapons
  • Tracking
  • Remote
  • Spectator
  • Left and Right panning
  • Up and Down panning
(2) redesigned the Weapons View (V key)
  • a new closeup final view of craters
  • vertical panning of the view
  • shuddering of the screen upon impact
  • Up and Down panning of the Weapons View with the "1" and "0" keys

These two categories of changes, IMHO, enhance and enrich the Tornado experience. Here's an example of "Impact point new perspective and responsive (shake) views" in action.

Stick around till the end of the video and you will be rewarded with
an innovative view of the pre and post explosions of an ordnance.
(1) The screen shakes on impact; (2) view can be panned left or right with the standard Z and X keys.

Shake, Rattle and Roll with the JP233 ordnance and the flyby view!
Made possible only in 2018.

The crowd-favourite - a Laser-Guided bomb homing in onto its target.

Hope you like these additions to the redesigning of the Tornado experience. ;-)

Regards
Frankie Kam
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 07:35:14 PM by Frankie »
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Asid

• HAVOC
Re: Impact point new perspective and responsive (shake) views
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2018, 05:24:24 PM »
53. Redesigned bomb impact view and now more External views vibrate/shudder when ordnance explode

Awesome Frankie  :thumbsup
funny
informative
Thanks
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tags:

Team Tornado - Life on a Front-line Squadron by the Two Johns

Started by Frankie

Replies: 4
    Views: 5297
    Last post October 05, 2018, 02:08:31 PM
    by Frankie
    How British Tornados Used A Special Weapon To Ravage Saddam’s Airfields

Started by Frankie

Replies: 0
    Views: 2196
    Last post March 27, 2021, 04:33:39 PM
    by Frankie
    Desperately seeking GEnie Tornado debrief posts of the 1990s

Started by Frankie

Views: 2244
    Last post December 06, 2019, 07:01:25 AM
    by Frankie
    Tornado wingman turbulence effects

Started by Frankie

Views: 3676
    Last post June 27, 2016, 02:24:44 AM
    by Frankie
    Tornado on Twitch.tv - Valentine's Day 14/2/2022, 10pm-12midnight (UTC+8)

Started by Frankie

Replies: 5
    Views: 3250
    Last post February 16, 2022, 04:00:00 PM
    by General Sandman